1. Alley-Chan contest
    Join us in the Alley's anthropomorphizing contest!
    Deadline for entries is on May 31th at 4pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dragon Ball Banner Contest
    Come enter in the Dragon Ball Banner Contest!
    Deadline for entries is June 24 at 12 pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

[Public Service Announcement] How to survive your rep crimes

Discussion in 'The Konoha Times' started by Kitsune, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitsune

I write this thread not as a former NF staff member, but as someone who has been slashed, sealed and punished for rep crimes. You need to protect yourself and I will teach you how.

Every so often, the NF staff will come out and say that they don't police rep. They're not lying, this is periodically true. However, this is something we've heard at various points throughout NF's history. The truth is that the policing of rep ebbs and flows depending on who is most vocal or influential on the staff at any given time. It also varies depending on how severe rep inflation might seem.

Right now, if you're circling hard, watching your reputation points soar, and generally being very carefree about the whole thing you're basically a gay Jewish person in the 1920s Weimar Republic—you're one regime change away from things going very badly for you.

This should all be very self-evident but here are some tips to help you avoid potential slashes, seals and the general destruction of your hard-earned points.

• Do not have a small rep circle
      If you're repping the same small group of people day in and day out it's going to look very obvious and bad if someone investigates what you've been up to. Regularly incorporate fresh faces into your repertoire and rep posts you genuinely like.
    • Do not talk about rep on the forum
      A little joking around is no big deal but once people start to seriously talk about rep and circling out in the open, it's a harbinger of doom. Honestly, even talking about it privately is risky since people like to screenshot and share these illicit events.
    • Leave messages
      Either for positive or negative reps, leaving a message helps. It gives a reason for your action and leaves a legitimate trail of intent. It doesn't have to be a paragraph, but if you're leaving a lot of blank reps to the same few people it will look like callous circling.
    • Do not abuse negs
      Negging posts you dislike is completely fine but you have to do it right so as not to flag unwanted attention. Don't partake in gang-negging, don't flame in a neg, don't repeatedly neg the same person over a short period of time, and don't go too far hazing new posters with negs in a tight-knit section. This all invites trouble and you want to keep staff eyes off of your rep page.
    • Help the staff turn a blind eye
      None of them really want to deal with rep, punish people for it, or go hunting down indiscretions. This only happens when things become too inflated, too obnoxious, or way too obvious. Do yourself and everyone else a favor by keeping the whole thing discreet and reasonable.

I hope this was helpful. There are rarely warnings about these kinds of things and it's brutal when slashes come out of nowhere. Consider what I'm saying and save yourself a lot of trouble down the road by playing it safe.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Tags:
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. colours Advisor

Flag:
    United States

I like this

INFORM THE PEOPLE

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Snake

Fake and gay

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Blacku

500+ words of Bullshit :jesuschrist

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Lew Advisor

Policing rep circles is dumb and any staff policing such things are wasting time that could be spent doing something else.

Also rep circles are dumb, if you actively take part in a rep circle then you're wasting your time gaining imaginary internet points. Gain rep the good old way, it's a lot more rewarding that way.

Also buying rep with cc points is dumb

Basically rep is dumb and you're wasting effort if you care about it.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  6. Santi Super Moderator

You would do well to read and remember every word of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Lew Advisor

Btw wrong section this isn't a question or a complaint! Negged! :blobree

8. A Optimistic

Don't care.

I'll repwhore all I want and there's not a damn thing the staff can do about it.

• Optimistic x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • List
  9. JoJo

tldr

give me my fucking 18 million back

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. Blacku

@Santi @Reznor @Xiammes

Does this mean Repwhoring is illegal again or is Kitsune just full of shit as usual?

:hitbatman

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Santi Super Moderator

There’s no absolute answer, as what “defines” repwhoring is pretty broad and not all of it do I feel like punishing. For starters, it’s perfectly normal for groups of users who post in the same sections and threads to consistently rep each other and their friends, and albeit while this is also a “rep circle” of sorts it’s one that’s naturally occurring, so you won’t see any of the “big rep slashes” that we saw in the past like the Battlestars FC and UFC slashes where literally dozens of users got slashed at once.

It’s quite different and obvious when a group of only 4-5 different users have circled a disproportionate concentration among themselves relative to everyone else where they’re posting. I’ll be taking a closer look at this sort of activity and thinking about, but it isn’t exactly “outlawed” like it was before

I will also be changing how the staff approaches and deals with neg abuse in the variety of shapes and forms that they occur in (this is the big change), I’m fairly tired of dealing with these cases as frequently as I have and I’ve reached a conclusion where seals and the current approach doesn’t act as enough of a deterrence for the behavior.

12. Lew Advisor

Remove negs

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. A Optimistic

I get policing neg reps and stuff because a lot of members get booty blasted and butthurt when they get negged, and it's the staff's job to maintain a positice user experience for the majority of the members here.

But policing positive rep is hard dumb and honestly a waste of time. Go find something more productive to do with your time.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Santi Super Moderator

That’s pretty much the suggestion; dealing with circles is silly but at the same time people openly organizing and recruiting for them is undesirable and allowing extreme minority groups to inflate makes it difficult to scale rep for everyone whenever we want to do events and activities that could utilize rep.

Personally I’d prefer to get rid of it all as there being two overlapping “reward” mechanisms for posting makes me choose every time if I want to rate, rep, but most often I just do both. It’s not going to go anywhere (that ship already sailed) so instead I would one day like to change how rep is utilized on the forum entirely.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. Krory

Just delete rep.

We're already at the point where people think "These twenty people that have higher rep than I think they should are all clearly in a rep circle together that's not my rep circle, and that's bad."

Just burn it all.

16. Kitsune

If you actually read the OP, my point is that policies change as staff members rotate in and out. Be wreckless if you want, I’m just trying to make people aware of what could happen. I wish someone had warned me so I’m extending the courtesy—take it or leave it. :blobtrin

17. A Optimistic

How were you able to make this thread in the first place btw? I don't see the option to make a thread in this section. Still got some mod powers left? :blobtrin

18. Lew Advisor

I just went to check and I can

But this thread was moved «

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
  19. A Optimistic

Nevermind, apparently you made this thread in Q&C and it got deported here. :blobtrin

20. Kitsune

I made the thread in Q&C and it got moved.

:blobowo

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  21. Raiden Moderator

Was just about to ask this in SCR :argh.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  22. HaxHax

23. Zensuki

Catdank Faction:

I'm here for the rep :catwalk
    Lets see how much you guys have

24. Krory

25. Krory

Wait I should cut it out before I get a time-out like :ava

26. Santi Super Moderator

You’re right, but it’s not happening. These are the times we live in.

We had the chance to detach for good when we were migrating from vBulletin, that ship has sailed.

27. Fel1x

negging is a main weapon of bullying in NF. why do we even have it? it brings chaos, flaming, wars and overall bad experience in the community. and most of the time those bullies neggs the same person or group

most of forums have only positive reputation system and it's reasonable.

I witnessed some cases when a new members were negged and left the forum after it. Moders can't deal with all cases

So it will be absolutely right to cancel neg option in reputation

@Santi

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  28. Santi Super Moderator

I’m not certain removing just negs is something we can do, and removing the reputation system as we’ve always known it sounds unrealistic.

I am, however, changing how I enforce neg abuse in order to more efficiently deter the behavior. It’s clear there isn’t enough of a disincentive against it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  29. Kobe

Rep/Neg is binary and therefore quickly polarizes the community. Perhaps, it even provided ammunition to people who wanted to go after the Staff.

The rating system was one of the best implementations of the policy since I have registered here. Coming back from my 2-year hiatus, it was the most welcoming event. The variety is great and tells much more about who the person is in that community than a reppower does. I agree with those who would want to get rid of the rep system. It is never late.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  30. Undead

Agreed. I came back from my several year hiatus the other week, and I really really like the rating system put into place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.