1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Question about Yoruichi

Discussion in 'Bleach' started by me_is_david, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. me_is_david Today We Are All Hokies.

Mod can close this once its been answered and the usual.

But I was wondering, was it stated somewhere that Yoruichi was the previous 2nd division captain?
    Or do we just assume she was since all the captains know her and she is the former commander of that special ops group that Soi Fong is now the commanding officer of? Just like how Mayuri is 2nd chief and Urahara was 1st chief of the R&D thing and were both captains of the 12th, I'm guessing since Soi Fong is commander and is a captain, the previous commander was a captain too.

I heard people say she was the previous but I don't recall it ever being stated. If it was said somewhere, which chapter was it said in?
    I mean it does make sense for her to be the former captain but I'm jus curious as to whether she really was or not.
    Although I'm sure its safe to say she was the previous captain before Soi Fong.

Tags:
  2. Wrath Mourning

It's never been said that she was. Opinion is split on the matter. Yoruichi specifically said she joined the special ops group while Urahara joined the Gotei 13, but then the same can be said of Soi Fong.

Personally I suspect she probably was, since Soi Fong was obsessed with proving her superiority yet didn't use her Captainship as evidence.

3. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

As wrath said its split, its one of those big mysteries that we are never filled in on and there's really not a lot implied into it. A lot of people seem to take that fact of her being commander of the special ops group in the same way as Soi fong as a proof that she was a captain as well, however I think thats just a misguided opinion that the 2nd squad is the special ops group and people get confused.

4. TEK Akatsuki

I think only one thing will clear this answer. If Yoruichi has a zanpaktou, then she probably was the previous 2nd division captain. However, if she doesn't have a zanpaktou, then she probably was not.

5. Id The Demon of Elru

Shes part of the special opps. Maybe the opps was a diff division and not part of the
    Goti 13.

It donst really matter thou.

6. jonat3 Active Member

Yoruichi never was a captain. If she was, they would have mentioned that she had the position. If they didn't say she was head of a division, then it's obvious that she wasn't. No need to conjure up extra stuff.

7. Kenpachi011 New Member

Yeah i dont tink yourichi had a zanpaktou she was stated as the Onmitsu Kidou (shadow ops). There are 3 divisions of authority center 46 commands which is Gotei 13 (groups leaded by captains), Onmitsu Kidou(stated above), and Kidou Shuu (demon arts). And I remember soi is the captain of divion 2 and the Onmoitsu kidou. And saying that yourichi was the Onmitsu Kidou leader. I'm assuming that they were merged down the line for some reason or another.

8. Dooh Cool..

We've seen pictures stating that she has a zanpaktou, IF she is captain over the 2:nd division is another matter

9. krescentwolf Neko-Rider's Master

I think it's said (by Byakuya) that Yoruichi was the former commander of the special ops unit (al la 2nd Div.) but the way he words it is iffy.

The only other proof that Yoruichi might be a captain is that Soi Fong is a captain, and Yoruichi calls her 'her successor'

It's never explicitly stated, but its hinted at.

10. lwong81 Member

Where are the pictures? and i wonder where she keeps it when she is a cat.

11. Crowe inactive - most of the time

It was from a flashback, the one with her and Urahara jumping around in the training area. When she confronted Aizen she didnt even use 'her' zanpaktou and that seems really weird to me.

12. Wrath Mourning

Yoruichi clearly had a Soul Cutter, but either it was destroyed (which would beg the question of how) or she just doesn't have it with her. It's pretty hard for a cat to carry a sword around, after all.

My bet would be on it being sealed away somewhere, either in the Shihouin estates or with Urahara.

13. Dragonzair I'm with Maria Hill!

I don't know which site I read it in, but it was posted that Yoruichi was the captain of the second division. :S But I tend not to believe them until I get proof from either the manga or anime.

Here it is:here

But if I remember correctly, in the anime's ending song (the one where they show each division in each episode, in particular), when they showed the second division, Yoruichi was shown fighting with Soi Fong.

In the one with the 12th division, Urahara was shown in it as well.

But then again, it might not mean anything because the ending video of some divisions had characters who didnt belong in that division...but wadda heck..

14. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

ty for digging up that pic, quoting directly from it

'he joined the gotei 13, I joined the special op brigade'

I infer from that statement that she didn;t join the gotei 13 and therefore was not 2nd division captain.

15. Dragonzair I'm with Maria Hill!

Really off topic, but..what is this 'special op brigade'?? :blink

16. Code Zoamelgustar

Explains a lot of things though somethings there are assumptions (as I don't remember when it was stated or even implied that the Special Ops is 5 divisions and top ranked one is Executive Militia, but then again it could be stated in Soi Fong's bio in the volume releases or something like that.)

17. yelin Member

what kinds of G Strings is Yourichi into? or if she wears anything Under?

argue away.

18. RockLee is no brethren unto Kaminae

The Special Ops Brigade seems to be a spy and intelligence unit. Apparently, you can be commander of both, as Soi Fong proved. I don't think that Yourichi was captain of the 2nd division. Surely it would have been mentioned.

19. dfink New Member

In the latest anime, yourichi fights some hollows along side soi fon with her zanpaktou.. and it's short, not the standard asuwhatever that shinigami who dont know the name of their zanpaktou get.

In case anyone wants to see it in action

20. thermal New Member

but then again, in the anime flashback she never had a captain's cloak, an armband or anything what so ever having to do with a member of the gotei 13 other than her sword which should be a zanpaktou since it cut the hollow.

her uniform is not of gotei 13 as stated in the manga and current anime episode as its the uniform of a special ops commander. so i really believe with the facts given to us that yoruichi was not a captain.

21. dfink New Member

I'm actually agreeing with this more and more... Great points about no captain cloak etc... it could be explained by her kidou combo thing (forgot the name) and since she never knew when she was going to have to blow up her robe/clothes she just didnt wear em, but i honestly dont think thats likely... also, since Special Ops is still kind of police force thing for SS, they should have zanpaktous too, i cant imagine them all fighting hollows and not having em :-/

22. blazingshadow True Wind Rune

you can defeat a hollow without a zanpakutoh but you would get in trouble if you do.

23. Wrath Mourning

That would be a valid point if not for the fact that the same could be said of Soi Fong, and yet she was clearly the 2nd Division Captain. We know that Soi Fong joined the special ops group because she said it herself. Everyone in her family did.

As for why Yoruichi wouldn't wear the Captain cloak, her ultimate kidou technique would have destroyed it if she did.

24. jonat3 Active Member

No, it's a valid quote. Soi Fong's situation is not the same as Yoruichi's situation. In that quote she stated that she joined the special op brigade. If she joined the gotei 13, she would have said that she joined together with Urahara in that quote, but she didn't. She specifically stated that it was Urahara that joined the gotei 13.
    Soi Fong is unique cause she's commander of both 2nd division and special ops.

For anyone interested, the special op brigade itself is divided in 5 divisions.

25. Wrath Mourning

No, you're not listening. Yoruichi said that she joined the special ops brigade, but Soi Fong said the same about herself. The fact that Soi Fong is also 2nd Division Captain proves that you can join the special ops brigade and still become a Captain. It doesn't prove that Yoruichi was or wasn't the 2nd Division Captain, but it proves that it was possible.

26. me_is_david Today We Are All Hokies.

lol

anyway, the scenes from the latest anime also gives somewhat proof that she wasn't like someone stated.
    Although I still think she was, I realized that she might not be since I thought everyone knew her so she must've been somewhat famous, but in the anime it said she was from a noble family so thats why Byakuya, Ukitake all are like "OMG Yoruichi"

dun make much sense but yeah if you look at my first post about what I thought then it might lol.

ANYWAY, as for the ED someone before said, I thought it was just because she had a connection with Soi Fong, like Ichigo in the first, Rukia in the 2nd, etc. But yeah to me just meant to show some type of connection between the characters. As for Urahara showing when he doesnt haev a relationship with Mayuri, I think it was just there to make us go "Oh shit, he was a captain" because thats what it made me say lol.

But yeah, now I'm leaning more to the possibility of Yoruichi not being the previous captain, though clearly captain level.

27. jonat3 Active Member

No, it's you that aren't getting his point. I know it's possible to be both a captain and a commander. Soi Fong is the living example of this. I'm saying that Yoruichi clearly stated that it was Urahara that joined the gotei 13. She said she joined the special ops brigade. She didn't say she joined the gotei 13, so she simply never was part of the gotei 13.

If she was a former captain, they would have mentioned it in chapter 118. Since they didn't mention it, she simply never was a captain.

28. zagman505 Shakou, Hitsuki!

does it really matter that much if she was a captain? she's strong, and that's pretty much all that matters. i mean, same goes for isshin, ppl think he was a captain because he said that captain-lvl shinigami control the size of their zanpakutou's. just cuz he mentions captains doesn't mean he was a captain. we're just inferring that he was. the only thing we really know about isshin is that he stopped being a shinigami 20 years ago, and he is still freakin powerful. yoruichi is powerful. she was definitely leader of the special ops, she may have been captain of the 2nd division, but it all doesn't really matter. its just a piece of info about the past thats not necessary for any part of the story.

29. bluewolf mostly lurking

So its still up in the air if she was ever even an official death god?

30. SUSHI KILLER 4000 RULER OF ALL SUSHI'S

well...doesn't she do hand to hand combat. So she probably didn't have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.