1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Question on career advice(art)

Discussion in 'Art 101' started by TAM ZEDEKIAH, Jun 5, 2007.

1. TAM ZEDEKIAH The Palace guardian

sorry if Im posting this in the wrong place

For majority of my life I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.I usually went to school came home and played videogames. I didn't really have any hobbies.But then I discovered drawing.Thats when I decided that this is what I have to do ,so i started drawing.The problem is I started doing this when I was seventeen (Im 18 now :( )
    And then upon entering college I decided to major in advertising design and graphic arts..

But from time to time I can't help but feel that Im destined for failure.Ive been told from alot (including my advisor) that people who wants to get in this field has had some experience in art.Some of my friends who want to go in this field has been drawing since they were children.I started to draw a little more than a year ago and my progress is not that good. My brother told me that I should major in something like liberal arts,buisness (or some other Bs) so I have something to fall back on and learn art on my own(or join devry afterwards)
    others just tell me its not a good field to join finacially all together.None these people have any passion for art so i really can't take their advice

I know there are some artists out there that can help me out(this is one of 3 other forums Im posting this in) What would be smartest and best path to do? any kind of suggestion would help

Tags:
  2. Iruka ♡♥~カカシxイルカ~♥♡

True that any field that deals with Arts, required some knowledge of art, but that doesn't mean that you have to had a lot of experiences in with it before hand. If you do, than great, if you don't than to learn and improve is what you went to school for, isn't it? Don't feel too bad about your drawing. Everyone have to start somewhere. It doesn't matter if your friend having been drawing since they are kid and or you just start drawing a year ago. If you really wants to improve, I'm sure you'll be able to improve. If you keep on feeling bad and comparing your artworks to others' it'll only bring you down. Instead of comparing, set them as goals to beat and reach.

I'm majoring in Media Art and Animations, and I constantly feel lost and confused too, but you know drawing is something that I like to do and if going into the field of media art and animation allowed me to draw than that's what I will try my best on even if I'm probably the least talented person. Of course, I have to like what I'm getting myself into too, otherwise, it will be hard and I'm prone to failure if I don't like it because animations isn't something easy and it required very good drawing skills. :sweat

What's the point of going into something that you do not enjoy doing? I'm sorry, I'm just not one to do something I don't like. If you have a mind for business than go for business. If you have a mind for Liberal Art, than go for that. But, if you like to move your hand and draw things out, than go for one that will allow you to do so. :)

Well, I don't think I'm much here because I suppose we're sort of similar in a way regarding what-to-do, but hopefully it helps a little...maybe? :sweatdrop

3. Kool ka lang -----------

I have a thread for you. It's in another forum, but what they hey, it's relevant to the topic.
    It's basicaly about a guy who was asking if anyone could learn art.

But in particular, I want you to pay VERY close attention to the link in this guy's post:

This, is one picture from the beginning of the guy's sketchbook.

And then, fast forward 5 years, and 30 pages worth of posts in his sketchbook thread.

Feel free to go through the guy's huge thread, to see how he actually progressed.

If you know it's what you want to do then all that's needed is hardwork, determination, and practice. A lot. Just don't say it's impossible: you just haven't seen the possibility yet.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  4. graysocks Active Member

Godamn, i'm looking through that guys thread now, what an inspiration!

5. Kool ka lang -----------

Lol I actually haven't gone through the entire thread, just bits and pieces here and there. XD
    but yeah, I wanna hear from you TAM ZEDEKIAH, if you're still down and stuff.

6. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

Yes, it takes years to become a great I'm sure most of the artists here including me have been drawing for 10 years + so you shouldn't take it to hard that you dont get it right away. You may think you're destined for failure because you see others artists work and compare theirs to yours. just stay focused on your own style and master that. Then once you get that down you'll be great. Take ideas from anything possible because everything in art is stolen from another source. Everything has already been done so just try your best

7. Kool ka lang -----------

basically, it's all in being patient, and keeeping at it everyday, no matter how hopeless it may seem, and if you're a little bit tired of drawing, do something else, something fun and exhaustive, and you'll get the urge back in no time. :thumbs

8. TAM ZEDEKIAH The Palace guardian

Kool ka lang

Ive been on the internet nerd for many years now...that has to be the greatest link Ive ever clicked on.

9. Kool ka lang -----------

^^^really? because there's a lot of links on the internet, and years are a long time. Well, I'm glad you feel that way-I'm just spreading the word, that you CAN do it, to anyone who'll listen. :)

10. Level 70 Orc Ninja The Highest Order

People are often confused and misled by the idea that art is a gift upon birth. It's especially misleading when people say someone is "talented"!

If we were to separate "visual arts" into two simple categories, they would be "techniques" and "ideas".

Techniques are objective, methods in portraying art visually. This can be learned by anybody assuming you put your time and passion into it. Lighting and anatomy, for example, is simple science. Once learned, you can then branch off into your own style, manipulating those techniques into your own. Again, this can be done by anybody.

All you need is passion and the right places. Go buy human anatomy books. Study online (on the right sites). Ask artists. Ask teachers. Above all, be realistic with yourself. If a face doesn't look right, then find out why and make it look right. Do not settle for crap, and if it isn't crap, then make it even better. I will guarantee if you work hard enough, you will stun even yourself.

Now, ideas, on the other hand, relies on the individual soul. I believe, though, that everyone's capable of making brilliant artworks.

11. Pink12 New Member

if you wanted it badly, then you should research and learn

12. Voynich MADDER RED

I don't think you should worry too much about your skill level. As long as you make progress it's good. And not everyone is a master in realism. I personally can't draw a realistic person to save my life. I still got accepted into the Traditional Painting major. All because I did make progress and they liked the way I use colours. As long as you have passion for what you're doing, you shouldn't worry. Keep practicing, be realistic about what you can and can't do and keep it fun. That most of all.