1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Quirks: WTF are they?!

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by baski, Dec 24, 2018.

1. baski

There doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to discussion and speculation about Quirks, their origin, how they work etc. So i thought I'd start one.
    Yes I'm aware (or I'm pretty sure) it was stated in the manga that quirks are mysterious and unexplained and nobody knows anything about them and where they came from and blah blah, but Jesus Christ i get so frustrated with some of the bullshit quirks that get introduced in this series. That little statement about quirks being mysterious gives the author such a free pass to asspull anything he wants. I know i shouldn't be looking for any consistent internal logic with quirks, but i can't help myself. As i read the manga, i keep finding myself accepting that quirks are genetic mutations similar to mutants in the X-men (would make sense given that the whole series is an homage to American comics) due to the abundance of easy to understand quirks like Tsuyu's, Kaminari, Momo, Tetsutetsu,Todoroki, Bakugou etc. But then every 20 chapters I'm hit with some mystical HxH/FT/Naruto ( i can't get over the extreme similarity to HxH with the constant mention of "conditions" or "drawbacks" with every quirk. I mean can't a guy just be born with a badass quirk? Seriously.) type quirk like OFA, that Black hole teacher, Eri, some guy with his elbows, hands and shoulders all floating and detached from one another, and then you have crap like villains scientifically implanting these quirks into like 1000s of people to create Nomus.

This sounds like a rant but i really just want to start a discussion on what they really are and how they work.

Tags:
  2. 1Person

I like that most quirks have drawbacks, it makes the series feel more grounded and allows for strategic battles instead of just spamming OP abilities like in bleach or toriko.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Xiammes Supporting Staff

Based on everything it seems to be a mutagen and reverberates through the body like a energy wave. It operates more like a parasyte, considering quirks can be permanently removed so its not baked into the DNA.

4. baski

The quirk removal method in MHA doesn't seem very different from what happens in the X-men comics: A serum that gets injected/ingested.
    Unless you're talking about a different removal method?

5. lol 4th dimension reiatsu

They must be supernatural in origin, just like the Xgene in Xmen

6. luffy no haki

7. Aros001

All Quirks do seem to be biologically based in some way, I've noticed. Nobody can just "do" something. It always stems back to a body alterations, secretions, or requiring certain body parts in order to be used. Uraraka can't just make people float, she has to physically touch them. Eraserhead can't just take away powers, he has to look directly at the person. Dark Shadow comes directly out of Tokoyami and is always attached to him. Ectoplasm pukes up his clones. Even All For One needs to touch to give and steal powers and One For All needs the person to swallow DNA to be passed on.

There are some Quirks that stretch this, like the Onomatopoeia guy in 1-B, but with few exceptions that could still be explained away, all Quirks are based on the body's biology and genetics.

I'm curious how you'd explain Best Jeanist's Quirk this way though? His is just straight up fabric control (Fiber Master as it's called).

8. FrozenFeathers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Black Wolfff

They're basically mutants from Marvel. And the quirks aren't superpowers or chakra/chi/energy/otherrandombssourceofenergy attacks. It's basically a part of their body. I think of it as a spiritual organ or something based off Bakugo's explanation comparing using quirks to exercise.

10. lol 4th dimension reiatsu

Quirks like Manga, Chrono, B class fat kid and Tokoyami are clearly some supernatural thing.

No shit right this is a manga.

But I mean even within the context of the series, reality warping and a fricking stand aren't things evolution or mutagens would cause.

X Men was the same until it was revealed they where a celestial experiment related to cosmic powers, a single baby causing the quirk outbreak with a flash of light sounds like something more spiritual than genetic.

11. Aros001

I don't think the glowing baby was the cause of any outbreak. I think they just said that the baby was the first human to show any signs of a Quirk.

12. cry77

Wasnt it stated that the world QUICKLY became full of quirk user RIGHT after the glowing baby? I dont think the baby was just the "first who happened to get a quirk" but rather the spark of all quirks.

It's more than just organic evolution, for sure.

13. Aros001

I think that's more a case of correlation than causation. I'm not saying that the glowing baby couldn't be the start of an outbreak that caused Quirks, as obviously I don't know what the author's plan is, but I've seen nothing to really suggest that's the case over the baby's Quirk simply being the first one people noticed or the first one that got activated.

Yes, it was stated that the world quickly became full of quirk users right after the glowing baby, but anyone could have been the first to have their quirk activated in an area of outbreak. It just happened to be that baby. Heck, we the audience don't even know if the baby WAS the first. One theory people in the manga itself speculate is that Quirks could have been the result of a virus carried by rats. If that virus was the result of a lab experiment or even just a random mutation, the first person to ever develop a Quirk could be someone we've yet to see, as the glowing baby is simply the first Quirk appearance that the public knows about and that was recorded in history.

14. Pliskin

The Ruinous powers of the warp have blessed Earth and bestow their gifts upon favored humans.

Wait for the Ordo Malleus to one day drop and bolter the cast to mush.

15. 1Person

i think the baby was the symptom not the cause, he was just the first one discovered others started being born later.

16. Gunstarvillain

Easy. In this universe people have powers that dont need to be explained till the final...FINAL villain who is the origin of quirks...you read enough manga you know it's a devil, a angel, alien, the planet's soul energy or memories, blah.

17. Keishin

Shounen superpower named quirks instead of bankais, jutsus, devil fruits, nen beasts, magic, ki blasts...

18. Divell

Wasn't stated that the final fight would be between Midoriya and Tomura?

19. 1Person

Thats what we're being lead to believe but its pretty common for there to be another unexpected villian at the end of shounens.

Wouldnt be surprised if theres another thread after izuku beats tomura.

20. Divell

Nah. The author says Tomura is the final boss. I would be disappointed if he then changes.

21. Gunstarvillain

You think mha is going to end as them being kids?

The manga is going to mature and get a bit gritty to show growth and all that jazz.

And personally I'm over the 2 mc fighting I got that in naruto with 100% oversaturation.

22. Divell

Kishimoto is an idiot. But he still delivered on Sasuke vs Naruto. Also, look where it got him. Worst final villain reveal ever.

23. 1Person

Kishi got screwed over by a shortened timeline all the kaguya and naruto vs sasuke stuff got squeezed into about 30 chapters. And naruto and sasukes final fight was barely 5 chapters.

24. Divell

He got screwdover a villain reveal the was not necessary. He had everything where he wanted. Boss villain, original team solo, and a motivation to fight. Honestly, there are a lot of stuff i would change from Pain arc onwards.

25. 1Person

Yeah he really wouldve been better off keeping madara as the final villain.

26. TrueG 37

Kishi wasn't screwed over by anything. He's just an idiot:luffykek, Kaguya was completely unnecessary.

27. Tayimus

You just reminded me of Psyren. Final villain was an alien, if I remember correctly.

28. Tayimus

Perhaps eliminate Pain from the story entirely, have Madara as the Akatsuki Leader and possible Final Villain, and--if he wanted to--have Hagaromo as the surprise twist Final Villain. :hmm

29. lol 4th dimension reiatsu

I still find it amusing that Naruto was unable to logically counter Pain's circle of hate theory.

30. Tayimus

And apparently, he was right since there's still conflict among nations in Boruto. Or am I just misunderstanding the brief pictures and scenes I've seen? I don't really follow Boruto...