1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Quit handing me all your damn morals!!!

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Homeless Man, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Homeless Man Same shit, different day.

I've got a question pertaining to all of the political assholes who are passing these laws in order to conserve "morality".

What gives you the right to tell me what to do? Why should I not be allowed to do something someone else terms wrong if it doesn't harm anyone?
    Here are some examples.

School Religion
    Teach it to me in history class, not science. It's been extensively proven that God did not in fact create the world in seven days and stick it all in a big garden. There is no argument for this. It's just bullshit.

Abortion
    Why should you care if my girlfriend gets pregnant and decides on an abortion? What gives you the right to stand outside a clinic and scream out damnation at her like you're some kind of holy soldier? It's her kid, not yours, and her decision that you're trying to make your own. What the hell is the point of a law against this? I can't find a good reason.

Gay Marriage
    Unless you're gay, this is none of your goddamn business! Why should you tell two people in love that they can't marry because they were born a certain way? What gives you the right? Because you think it's a sin? Who defines sin besides God? What is the reasoning behind a law banning this? I'll tell you what it is. It's hate, plain and simple. It's the same as if you told two black people they can't marry because they're black.

Stem Cell Research
    The stem cells do not hurt. They don't think, or feel. Why should you care if some are destroyed? The research done with them helps out people who hurt and feel now. I would destroy a thousand stem cells to bring back the memories Alzheimers destroys. But no, that wouldn't be the RIGHT thing to do. A permanent cure for a disease vs. the "lives" of stem cells? I wonder what anyone could say is wrong with that.

Who are you to tell me how I should live? If what I do is sin? Are you so great that you are like God, and can pass judgement on all who cross you as immoral?

You know what I think? I think that if Jesus really played such an active role in human lives, he would put on his steel-toed holy boots, come down from heaven and kick the asses of every pompous bastard who thinks they can order people around in his name.

Whatever. Post on however this sort of shit makes you feel.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
    Tags:
  2. furious styles ☆☆☆☆☆

This post is a bit oxymoronic, don't you think? You are denouncing people passing judgement, but simultaneously you pass judgement on those very people. If you must know I probably agree with you on most ideals.

People can be very judgmental. People can be shallow, foolish, insecure, and cruel. It's our nature as humans. People bomb abortion clinics, killing the doctors and nurses inside, due to what they represent.

Think about it for a minute though, my friend. Take your stance, and don't let your beliefs crumble, but don't turn into the thing you hate most. After all, where has fighting fire with fire gotten us?

3. Vegitto-kun HOMUHOMUHOMU

I completely agree with the topic starter

4. Homeless Man Same shit, different day.

K... I am slightly passing judgment here, but I'm not forcing them to do anything. All this is is a complaint about them forcing stuff on me. Specifically stupid things, like laws pertaining to personal life. I'm not going to stop someone from getting married unless they're hurting other people with it somehow.

5. Suzumebachi ReSpekt

Say please.

6. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

keep your morals too your self

7. furious styles ☆☆☆☆☆

I understand, because those are the reasons I agree with you. Injustices happen every day. It's nothing new, we are deeply flawed as a species. We love and we hate. Personally I don't believe in any religion, but would I ever shove that fact in anyone's face? No. I can't stand people who do either, be them atheists or die hard creationists.

What this argument boils down to are "basic freedoms." The basic freedoms granted by the constitution, by the government itself. Let me respond to each of your topics one by one :

School Religion - Well, naturally I'm opposed to teaching children that a "certain religion is correct" in a place they go ostensibly to learn facts about real life. I'm not opposed to teaching ABOUT religion, because that would be just as bad as not teaching children about evolution. It's not my business where people believe they came from.

Abortion - I am pro choice, to a certain extent. I think that abortion should be legal, but we really need to do something about underage and unprotected sex. Girls are getting more and more carefree about this because it is still relatively easy to attain an abortion here in the states. Still, it's growing inside of their body, and thus I believe their decision.

Gay Marriage - I'm with you that being homosexual isn't something people make a conscious choice about. I also believe that the anti-gay marriage attitude that exists here in the U.S. is directly related to the monotheistic religious beliefs that still course through the veins of our government. It's relatively obvious, the reason we still say "One nation, under god." Since It's not OK by the Christian church, it's "immoral". "God" said that marriage is between a man and a woman, so we take that to be right. If we ever want to be a truly democratic society that says "freedom of religion" and means it, something needs to be done about this. Anyway back on topic; let the fags marry! :nuts

Stem Cell Research - I haven't made up my mind 100% on this yet. It does seem like a noble cause, and I would argue like this; what's more wasteful, throwing away the stem cells from early abortions, or utilizing them to cure disease, and these kinds of things? I see nothing wrong with that.

Back to my original point; people are going to be judgmental. There's nothing we can do about that. They'll be closed minded and they'll fear the unknown. Still, we just have to hope that with some effort the "powers that be" will see these situations for what they really are and make an effort to protect our freedom.

8. Seelas on a Forums Break

I tend to agree that there's simply no argument against gay marriage, stem cell research, and prohibiting schools from teaching intelligent design in science. However, I think the issue of abortion is a lot more complex than you're making it. Legally I think abortion should be available for all, but I definitely don't think it's as simple as a "woman making choices about her body" nor do I think it's always moral to get an abortion. The fact is there's another entity involved, whether or not it's a person is the subject of (pointless) debate but it is still deserving of some level of moral consideration.

I also tend to disagree when I hear the argument that the woman should choose simply because it's growing inside their body. When compared with the potential life of the fetus, the nine months of carrying the baby are not the issue of consequence here. Women would, hopefully, be choosing to have an abortion out of concern for their wellbeing or the child's wellbeing - not simply because they don't want to carry the child. A woman who had an abortion simply because she didn't want to ruin her figure, for example, would elicit raised eyebrows from even most pro-choicers. I think that the moral consideration of the fetus and the mother are what should be at the center of this, but in terms of the fetus I simply don't see the burden of carrying the baby as sufficient reason for holding a monopoly on that choice.

Just throwing it out there.

9. furious styles ☆☆☆☆☆

I know what you mean. This is the problem with the abortion argument though. As much as we'd like to, there's no choosing a middle ground on it. It would be nice if we could say "OK no abortions after 3 months of development", or make it legal only if the woman was raped or there would be serious complications with the pregnancy, but this is logistically impossible.

If we wish to keep abortion legal, we have to keep it ENTIRELY legal, and put the moral judgement in the hands of our fellow people. Is this entirely fair? Of course not, but it's the only way to go about it. If the right to abortion is taken away, it's removal of freedoms. If it's entirely legalized, then we're at risks for the example you pointed out, of a woman not wanting to have the child for selfish reasons. I personal believe that freedom is chiefly important here, so I argue what I believe to be the lesser of two evils. :\

10. Char-Aznable The Redcomet

The topic is true, Yet people will always conflict your views and try to tell people how to live. Especially on the abortion issue, boy oh boy do they bitch on that subject.

11. Seelas on a Forums Break

The trimester division actually is plausible, because that was more or less the precise ruling of Roe v. Wade. The state must allow for abortion in the first trimester, they can regulate it as they please during the second, and no abortion at all is permissible in the third.
    I complete agree, that's why I said I support abortion legally in my first post. :wink

12. Key #1

Seem like you have alot of anger inside of you,Homeless.

13. Homeless Man Same shit, different day.

Yeah... I guess all I'm writing out here is that passing laws pertaining to a person's lifestyle isn't right.
    People can choose how they will live, they don't need a government to choose for them.

14. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! HOMELESS I've been Trying to get that off my Chest for years Especially the School Religion part, like a famous person once Said "God has no place inside School walls!!!!!!Just like Fact has no place inside organized Religion!!!!

15. SundanceChile Wandering Composer

Oh boy, here we go.

School Religon: There's too many different religons. If you're going to teach it in school, teach it and history, and cover as many bases as possible.

Abortion: It takes two to tango buddy.

Gay Marrige: IMO, this will blow over like the inter-racial couples.

Stem Cells: Well, if they're already dead or it's the remains of what comes out AFTER the baby is born, use it. More power to you.

Live life to your own expectations. I went to a private Catholic school for longer then I needed to. They preach about forgiveness, salvation, all this nice stuff. But in reality, they'll curse and damn you behind your back just because you don't agree on one little topic with them. Live your life the way you choose; when you're on top of the world for listening to your own morals, you can look down upon the suckers that tried to keep you down in conforming to one another.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  16. Crimson Scorpio The Quintessential

Quoted for high levels of truth.

Abortion truly is a tragic matter. Ideally only responsible, mature women who understand the moral implications of abortion should be given the option of choosing the fate of their unborn child. It still seems pretty flawed even to me. Traditionally thinking, no one has the right to govern the fate of another human being, and abortion to me seems like a pre-natal death sentence. However given the circumstances in which the child may be conceived or born, is it more humane to spare the child the misery of a dissapointing reality, or must we let nature run its intended course. Do you let a fetus that will be destined to live with Down's Syndrome come out into a cruel reality or do you deliver this unborn child from its tragic fate? The sad thing is while politicians build careers idly chatting about abortion, endorsing or frowning upon it, mothers out there every single day are forced to make decisions that will redirect the flow of their entire lives.

17. Trias For in the sleep of death...

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Wait, this ain't belong here...

18. anti-narutard Member

Quiet you godless hippie.

19. Amaretti No strong feelings whatsoever

Your insults are weak, you godful conservative!

Zinged! :laugh

20. ez Jesus Christ

i understand your sentiments but this seems like a rant o_O - my responses are enboldenedif you care to read them

21. Saufsoldat POOP TRAIN CONDUCTOR

You're right! Tell those ultramoral bastards what we immoral bastards think!

22. Descent of the Lion What 0Fear has always been

Question...what makes you on the moral high ground? What makes your stupid human Ideals better than anyone else's stupid human ideals? Nothing. It's like two walls arguing at each other...dang, humans suck.

I'm tired of these stupid issues. The only right man has is the right to die in the most gruesome way as possible... everything else is fantasy drawn up by some idiots in clown costumes.

23. Firedraconian Lather, rinse, repeat