1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

racist sig image

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by Ninja Genius, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninja Genius Strong Survive, The Weak Die

It's bad enough that people make generalized comments about African americans here (see why are they no black ninjas thread; just because a ninja is black that does not mean he will be loud and annoying and say fuck) but can you guys do something about sig images?

kataimiko has this image in his/her sig

and the sight of it makes my stomache cringe. "lawd"!? bad grammar and chickens just because Gai is cosplayed by an african americans. We're not cartoon characters, honest to freaking god we aren't don't stereotype our personalities. We're people and I know I'm not very active at all anymore and I'm basically a downloader and lurker so if you think that means I don't have a right to complain okay. But when I pop in to view some threads and download things and I see this it feels like someone is taking a million little fiery hot needles and putting them through my heart.

I'm going to level with you guys because I know a lot of people on the internet try to be things they are not, but truthly seeing and hearing people slander hurts..it really does.

Tags:
  2. Robotkiller Still alive

Its not THAT bad if you have a problem with the sig then talk to kataimiko i'm sure he will understand your complaint...I actually think its pretty funny.

3. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

4. Robotkiller Still alive

well i'm italian so I have a tanned complexion but I am white but I mean i'm not a hipocrite if someone had a "kill whitey" sig in there message I wouldnt mind as long as it was funny.

5. Blackvoice They're all pink on the inside

i think it's funny but honestly if it was a sig that had a jewish rabii and caption that said it looks like hitler missed a few what would you think?

6. Robotkiller Still alive

okay we need to draw the line somewhere and that somewhere was hitler. Odds are that jewish sig would not be in good sport.

7. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

Okay, I'm going to go through the quote below and bolden? the words and grouped words you would get shot up for saying in my 'hood.

Now, if you said those things to a black guy in my 'hood? You would definately get shot?.

8. Dragonzair I'm with Maria Hill!

I really don't find that that bad, really. Coz Black Gai is the most awesome cosplayer ever. And I don't think that member meant it to be an insult or anything.

But that's just my opinion.

9. earthshine Banned

u think black people give a shit about this? i have two sitting here with me now, and they think its funny, also, they want me to give u a message:dont trust whitey

10. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

Guess what I have to say to you Mr. Badger?!
    Spoiler:

:p

11. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

Bingo. White people get offended by anything that looks like it might be even close to racism against blacks.

This is stereotyping, not racism.
    Stereotyping is fine. It happens everywhere.

12. Robotkiller Still alive

Well white people do laugh....just not when there black people around(excluding friends)

We all need to embrace diversity

13. earthshine Banned

*breaks spoon* i will never again fall prey to that tool of human oppression used by you to torment me and my badger brethren

14. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

How can you even hold the spoon? You have no thumbs!

15. Viciousness on a Forums Break

Im black I thought it was funny honestly. If Black Gai looked serious and intellegent or it was a pic of Marting Luther King or Malcolm X or something complete with the bad grammar Id be offended. But this doesnt seem much worse than putting some yokle slang to someone that looks like a redneck. When I see that picture thats something I could picture Black Gai saying, its not something I could see a serious and intelligent looking black person or serious intelligent looking person of any other race saying, but honest to God, Black Gai looks ridiculous (no offense BG since I hear uve posted here before, u might look real smart in real life and I know you were just joking around at the cosplay), especially in that picture. If it was Shaft or Nas or something I think everyone would be like wtf.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  16. Dimezanime88 Tha Blak Demen

I started on something like dis awhile back on them Black Gai sigs and avys. They are degrading, but u gotta understand that they are funny. I just don understand why they got an ugly guy 2 do da job, but every other cosplayers [sp] in da pics dat he's wit, always look some wat, better dan him.
    PS, don't even get started on my Sig. Watch American History X to get an idea.

17. Gooba Join us

You cannot be offended by the great Black Gai. You must hail him. In case you didn't know, he has actually posted here, and talked to the great leader of the BG Cult, Donkey Show. Learn the ways of SoY and embrace them.

The Black Gai FanClub aka, the most fun I have ever had on NF.

18. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

he posted here, I figured he must know he has a fan club, so I wondered if he posted here.

But seriously, why chickens!? And to dimez, all those cosplayers were hideous! The only thing that redeems them is they were so bad you just had to laugh, which turns into a good thing then. :blink Oh god , I've gone cross-eyed!

19. Ninja Genius Strong Survive, The Weak Die

Black Gai isn't what offends me, he can cosplay as anything he wants, it's the caption that offends me. If you don't understand the link to racism that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You ever take an african american studies class? You ever see cartoon characters of stereotyped african being shot in kids commercials as they yell out things like "oh lawdy lawdy!" Mocking the speech of old africans american slaves and constantly portraying them as inferior isn't right.

If you don't give a fuck just say so...I sorta thought smods like Vash wouldn't care anyway but it was worth a try.

20. OniTasku [Weeabro for life]

You know, I can slightly see how you can associate this with racism, though I believe it's more "joking" than anything. I honestly don't think it refers to chicken due to the fact he is black, but perhaps did you ever consider it may be due to his larger size? :amuse

Hmm...though, that picture looks strangely familiar, I think I may have been at that convention, as I seem to remember that Black Gai, cosplayer.

21. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

So stereotypical Southern black dialect is now racist?

22. kataimiko 忘れるものか この一分一秒を

I feel so honored that my sig has yet again caused a controversy of sorts. :laugh

I in no way intended it to be racially discriminating. I found the image on google with the text already added to the damn thing. Quit getting your panties all in a bunch over such a trivial thing.

Perhaps I should go back to my Yondaime//Kakashi yaoi sig. :rofl

btw, I am a female. I noticed that several posters weren't sure.

This picture is dedicated to everyone who can't take a damn joke:

Spoiler:

fear my crooked middle finger!

23. monkeytoast Jitsu =^.^=

lord, what's wrong with liking chickens? :huh

24. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

25. Shishou Under this eyepatch is an eye!

The fact you believe it is Black Gai saying that, and not Kakashi, I find racist.

Its funny, and people need to lighten the fuck up. Its not like it is something making fun of slavery or supporting it. Or supporting Nazi/KKK stuff. It is juss a funny stereotype on a funny picture.

Is liking chicken and talking with a southern accent so bad? I think not. Now STFU.

26. Quoll loungin'

Something happening everywhere doesn't make it fine. That's like "Murder is fine. It happens everywhere."

But no, I don't find the sig racist. Yes, i'm black. And also stereotypical accents have always been considered bad.

Stereotypes generally have an semi-insult attached regardless of the intentions of the person that comes up w/ the idea/statement/whateva to them so its easy to offend w/ them.

27. Spidey Does whatever a spider can

Hmm, I'm black, and I don't find it to be greatly offending, and it obviously isn't intended to be. However I am strongly against stereotypes of all races and it is definitely something our society could do without. But in this case, i can see it is clearly a joke and not to be taken seriously, so it doesn't really bother me. and I admit, it's kinda funny :D

28. Quoll loungin'

29. Shishou Under this eyepatch is an eye!

Why would anyone be offended by a stereotype saying your race likes Chicken?

I am not offended by people saying my race is greedy and likes money. Cause we sure as hell do.

Most stereotypes are true. They become Stereotypes because it is a common thing for a race. So getting all worked up over it is dumb, especially when it is a harmless stereotype like black people loving Chicken.

30. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

Personally? I think it's obvious it's a joke, even if it is in poor taste.

But if that sig offends you, this will probably give you a stroke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.