1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Rate Meliodas as a Main Character

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Keishin, Dec 30, 2018.

Rate Meliodas as a character

1. 10

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. 7

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. 5

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  7. 4

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. Keishin Well-Known Member

Has anything changed?

Tags:
  2. Lord Valgaav Hero boy

Can you give an example of a 1 and 10 level protag so we can have something to go by?

Like, 1 being Boruto and 10 being Yusuke for example.

3. Keishin Well-Known Member

1. Boruto
    2. Asta
    3. Natsu
    4. Midoriya (BnH)
    5. Emma (TPN)
    6. Yusuke
    7. Edward Elric
    8. Light
    9. Guts
    10. Dr. Tenma (Monster)

Basically you go from one note to characters that deal with heavy burdens and dont insult the readers intelligence.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Lord Valgaav Hero boy

I'd actually place Deku higher on that scale, but that's a different story.

Mel is a Gary Stu with a 1-dimensional personality. He already has it all from the start of series, so there's no reason for him to grow throughout the story or change.

I'd put him at 6.5. He shows more emotion and vulnerability than Yusuke, and his relationship with Liz is more interesting to watch struggle. He's still pretty bland though since, again, he's the same start to finish and I hate that.

5. Keishin Well-Known Member

Theres no way to put Deku higher, once the anime of the first arc is done anime fandoms will thing that Emma sweep most shounen MCs problem is its just 1 arc and shes not handled well afterwards.

I think we should have gotten alma torran type arc for NNT cuz it deals heavily with past events, with Liz I think Fraudrin and Mel confrontation was ruined. Terrible probably because Nakaba realized that "wait she keeps dying for hundreds of times.." but it would have rather hamered in the point about how much Meliodas's psyche relies on Her if we got a deep flashback arc in its entirety and about how it all lead to the destruction of Danafor. The short "training arc" kind of made its impact worse almost on purpose.

6. Lord Valgaav Hero boy

Agreed on the Fruadrin thing. That was built up to be such a mystery since the beginning and all we got was Mel lolstomping once again.

7. Darkmatter Lion's Sin of Pride

Shit-tier character.

Mel is one of the many reasons why this series has turned for the worst. The constant powercreep that he receives is unappealing and uninspiring, from a being who could barely defeat Grey Hendy to the candidate of the next Demon King, and most of his fights are really mediocre at most (save for a few). His constant groping on Elizabeth is both creepy and fucking annoying.
    Giving him a 1/10 is being too generous, he deserves to be flushed down the toilet and forgotten about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. savior2005 Well-Known Member

This. Infact 1/10 is being generous.

9. Yak on a Forums Break

I refuse to dumb his rating down to a mere numeric value because its a bit more complicated than that. Meliodas certainly isn't the reinvention of the wheel. He does nothing particularely outstanding or different from other shounen MCs. He is a solid main character with pretty good development, his inner struggles, his past and the pains he's gone through are believable and to some extent relatable.

Despite the high fantasy stuff we are dealing with, at the bottom this is partially a large family drama and a war tale that could just as well have happened within the context of normal human relationships. His creep tendencies come off as immature or outright repulsive for anyone of a more mature age but it was far more prevalent in the first third of the story and got toned down a lot in the later chapters. The series adapted slightly darker tone later anyway.

His partaking in the general shounen power creep can at least be explained with him having always been extremely strong and having been nerfed for the majority of the series but at some points it does feel a bit too convenient. At least Meliodas struggled more throughout the series and its combats than some of the side characters have, so that offsets it a bit.

The notion that he has become / will become the bad guy in the series later on while at the same time being a sort of damsel in distress that has to be saved and the driving factor behind the movement to save him are his friends and mostly his lover is also surprisingly refreshing for him as a character and shounen MCs in general.

10. tio Well-Known Member

Nothing more needs to be said.

11. Taizai295 Member

I rate him as a 6-7.

He’s definitely NOT the worst shonen MC I’ve seen. That spot goes to Natsu from fairy tail imo.

He has received character development and the plot with him losing his emotions and becoming cruel and heartless was refreshing to see.

12. Lord Valgaav Hero boy

Yeah, people like Natsu, Tsuna, Boruto, etc are 0-1 tier. Mel definately isn't that bad if we're going by Shonen standards.

13. Mythoclast Ω

Assault mode Mel is refreshing and entertaining.I'd give him a 7/10.

Emo Mel is just bleh.

14. Jackalinthebox Well-Known Member

Light is like a 4, Yusuke is an 8, and Asta is at least above Natsu Fagneel

15. Rakuyo Hunter of Hunters

>yusuke below light

:camby

anyway, he's not bad imo but his status as a mary sue gets old

anyone whose ever been able to give him a fight get sorely outclassed later on

the only exception so far is escanor but with 5 commandments, escanor may not hold that distinction very much longer

his sexual harassment of elizabeth, while we now know why he does it, still needs to :camby imo but i will give him points for his determination to break the curse on her

overall, he gets a 5

16. Keishin Well-Known Member

Yusuke right where he belongs cuh

17. mmzrmx Lazy person

He's okay I guess..his story with elizabeth is decent but I don't really care for him all that much. I also hate his design so that doesn't help much.

5 or 6 I guess

18. Superman Well-Known Member

Disgusting

19. Superman Well-Known Member

Unfriended
    Super Ignored

I now RRRREEEEEE in peace

20. Imagine

4/10. I liked him initially out the gate, but his Gary Stu antics became tiresome. I didn't mind that he and his friends were all overpowered as it didn't feel like he'd outpace them too much, but boy was I wrong. Only Escanor could keep up. His ''sad'' character development seemed tacked on as a means to give him depth, too.

Meliodas isn't the worst around but he certainly isn't anything good.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Lord Valgaav Hero boy

:catsad wait, hear me out!

22. Harbour I stole all bitches.

I see the man of civilization.:yousmart

23. PureWIN Mr. Prince

Mel shouldn't be compared to protags like Boruto, Yusuke, Luffy, Asta, etc. Mel is a grown adult who is already experienced with his own powers and has already built various relationships in the world - he's not a coming of age character. He's more comparable to Z Goku than anyone else.

Overall I'd rate him 6/10. I like the fact he's not a n00b and almost always maintains a chill attitude. But one would think with 3,000+ years of experience he would be more on top of shit. I don't understand how he allowed the Grandmasters to completely get the drop on him.

And of course his constant groping of Elizabeth is disgusting. And I don't mean in terms of SJW outrage. It's just unbecoming for a protag to behave with such ill-mannered habits.

24. Harbour I stole all bitches.

4/10 though

yeah, he is grown guy but it doesnt make him a good protagonist
    at this point i feel like Escanor fits "THAT FUCKING MAIN HERO GUY" better than Meliodas. Usually Meliodas felt like a side character at all.

25. Lord Valgaav Hero boy

I personally tend to forget this fact what with him both looking like and behaving like a child.

It's funny that you'd compare him to Goku, because now Zeldris reminds me of Vegeta some.

You make a good point with this though. Coming of age protags are quite different from the adults. Mel has no need to learn anything when he already has, and he knows everyone already.

So who do we compare him to? Goku and who else? Jotaro, Kenshiro, Spike Spiegal, Kenshin, Ginji Amano, etc?

26. CrownedEagle Knight of Erza

I don't like his design as well as his Gary Su side but he infinitely better than characters like Boruto, Tsuna and above all Natsu. I wish he was more balanced in term of power and stop assaulting Elizabeth.

27. PureWIN Mr. Prince

I think Goku is the only active adult protag within Shounen?

But yeah, what really drove the point home for me is when it was revealed that Mel formed the 7DS to counter the 10C.

Mel is the complete inverse of most protags in the case that he's the one keeping the majority of the manga's secret and lore from the readers.

The best example is when Ban directly asked him if he was a 3,000 year-old demon and he responded: "You don't need to know anything about that yet."

EDIT: Kenshin is probably the most similar, but that's not considered Shounen, right?

28. Lord Valgaav Hero boy

Nah, RK is Shonen.

And yeah, Kenshin is very similar because both are already masters of their craft from the beginning with hidden strength and people from their past wanting to kill them.

What I feel RK did better than NnT is that Kenshin was portrayed as powerful without being op. He could still be challenged and often overwhelmed unless he went all out. With Mel, he could dominate opponents whether in base or using his demon power. That's stale.

Kenshin was also humbled by his past and didn't want to fight anymore. Mel...you can never really read the guy.

29. Taizai295 Member

One thing that surprises me is that some people have a problem with meliodas getting so much spotlight while escanor fanboys seem to like it that escanor wins EVERY single fight he’s in.

30. Darkmatter Lion's Sin of Pride

If Escanor assumes his day-self on a daily basis or he's constantly in The One state for eternity, then yes I would agree that he would be no different.
    But as far as I can see, his powers are fixed, unlike Meliodas where he constantly becomes more powerful with each powercreep brought in.