1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Rate Meliodas as a Main Character

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Keishin, Dec 30, 2018.

Rate Meliodas as a character

1. 10

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. 7

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. 5

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  7. 4

28 vote(s)
    59.6%
  1. MrPopo

Catdank Faction:
    Escanor should of been the main character :ufdup

2. Dayscanor

He's an average MC I guess.

All power creep aside (and I get that Nakaba has to wank his MC, that's what authors do) I think my issue with him was how gimmicky his whole character is, and I'm not talking about powers per say. It seems like Nakaba plucked every trope about shounen MCs, and often the worst offenders too, and checked their boxes one by one.
    For example:
    1-Angsty teenager: check. He only looks like a teenager though. Often gets a powerup from said angst.
    2-Has a constant poker face attitude:You never really know what's on his mind.
    This wouldn't be problematic if Nakaba rarely ever showed him reflect on himself, and basically tell us what is going on in his mind. To me he's like a more perverted Goku.
    3-Loses only to get stronger. He literally has to die in order to become stronger
    ...etc

I think he's very stereotypical as an MC, he isn't as entertaining as Luffy who granted is an idiot albeit an entertaining one....Aside from his story that is really tragic there isn't much that makes him stand out, he's just bland. If only he didn't fill so many stereotypes I think I'd enjoy his character more.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  3. Mob

He is one of the worst characters in NNT series, that sate sate sate shit and constant harassment of Elizabeth got old very quickly, he would get 1/10 from me if that poll lowest score wasn't a 4:ufdup

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Taizai295

It’s also hilarious how people are so bothered by the constant groping.

I never thought much of it. I just ignore it.

5. Tendou Izumi

Meliodas is pretty average as an MC. It's like whenever he's showing an ounce of depth, it stops midways and always reverts to his light hearted self.

6. J★J♥

He is collection of clichés without any originality or personality

7. BreadBoy

Always found him annoying whenever he was on screen. Pervert humour can be funny when done right, it isn't with him because he neither is in original scenarios, nor does he get punished for his antics, which is typically a part of that humour. If anything, they just tried to take it seriously later on which got creepy, even with the explanations they gave, since Elizabeth would act with that stupid "deer in headlights" expression.

His character has always remained a "mystery" because as a poster said, they put a poker face on him, so we're supposed to try and guess his thoughts. That isn't good since he's the main fucking character, and a story is supposed to generally be shown through the perspective of whoever the main character is. His conflicts are typically kept vague and undefined, and we only find things out from flashbacks, we have to tread backwards instead of move forwards with his character, which is annoying since half of the main cast also does this.

And through it all, he's treated like some perfect god by everyone he talks to, and always creeps up in power, like a good old Gary Stu. I've never once enjoyed a fight of his, especially compared to some of the other characters and the fights they have.

I'll give him like, a 2/10. That's being generous. But I just really don't have anything positive to say about this guy.

8. Cursemark

He's trash-tier. I despise the rapey part of his character the most. The author wants us to pretend it's funny but it's very forced & cringeworthy.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. Alibaba Saluja

Don´t mind the groping. I like the fact that he´s already "mature" in the sense that he already knows everything. So with him is more about past events and their repercussions.

Having said that, nothing else is really outstanding. More of the same. He doesnt´take anything seriously, which hurts his quality and the manga´s quality.

In part I that´s excusable, because the Holy Knights were small fry in the grand scheme of things. But when things got serious, he stayed the same character. Not good.

10. Kaaant

What is mel’s personality beyond being the toughest guy in the room “just because”?

Knee grow must be Muslim because he plays taharrush so much lmao

11. Pliskin

I like the 'aloof dork as a coping mechanism for trauma part'

I dislike the dwarf optic.8/10, at least a fresh Shonen MC.

(I also dislike that he was stronger than 90% of the cast originaly and only got rusty, but that only drags down the last 20% of the manga)

12. convict Retired Staff

Him and bitch boy king are the two things that drag this series down a bit for me from being top tier to very enjoyable.

13. JH24

6/10 I could never really get into Mel's character. Something about his attitude and the way he was portrayed made me feel more interested in the other characters. His groping of Elizabeth was never something I liked, but I'm slightly more understanding of it because of his mental state.

It was only after he was killed by the Commandments his character became more interesting for me. His backstory, him crying because he was scared of becoming the Demon King, but especially his time in Purgatory made him more likeable.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  14. Sasuke the Kage

Mel's kinda cool, he's basically a self insert for the author like dark Schneider was for the author of bastard. He's all powerful yet a walking commentary on being fun with it.

15. convict Retired Staff

^He's more like a walking commentary on being a piece of shit

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Taizai295

Ok. After all the bullshit this motherfucker has been pulling, I’m changing my rating down to a 4. He’s a shitty MC.

17. Darkmatter

Welcome to the band my brother. :catfeels

18. facesaucey

What?? Meliodas' whole schtick is that he's pretty much a blank slate that nobody can understand (except for his generic protag love for Elizabeth) Yusuke is impulsive and has much more vulnerable emotional moments on-screen. (Whereas Mel's is through his backstory slowly revealed as the story progresses)

Also if we're counting anime and or dubs. Justin Cook's performance and the writing for Yusuke alone is top tier

19. Lord Valgaav

weird flex but ok

20. facesaucey

Well as long as we're using non-sequitur memes...

21. Lord Valgaav

:catsadfeels I knew you could do it.

22. Akira1993

Well, I like Meliodas and specifically when he was evil and emotionless.

23. baski

Meliodas is a 3.5 on this scale, but where's the 11 AKA the GOATshiro option?

24. sabre320

Absolutely boring and terrible character....is a walking dues ex machina that runs the whole point of any struggle and suspense in the story....no matter what enemy or problem faced this little shrimp will pull out some latent power that will stomp and negate everything....even the freaking dk got stomped by him and apparently he wasn't even using his of magic....man if you just want to wank the character off at the manga expense what's the point....then there's his terrible personality and creepy fkn creepy tendencies..

25. Lord Valgaav

He was a better character pre-death. After Estarossa killed him, he stopped being a character and became more of a walking plot-device.

26. Spider-Man

27. Jigen

Fun fact, Meliodas recently won the number 1 spot of the official popularity poll.

29. Keishin

30. Akira1993

Funny how he is hated here but he is the most loved in Japan and the majority of NNT fans as for now.