1. "Are you a Messi or Ronaldo fanboy? Come and nominate them and more of your favourite players in NF's UEFA Champions League Awards!

If your nominees win, you could win points for cool forum prizes!

Click here to play :) .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join us for NF's first movie night! If you're interested in deciding what films we'll be watching, join us for discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Grand Opening of the Beauty Parlor! Come and discuss the beauty world with other beauty lovers
    Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The Roleplaying Section (yes we have one of those is having a character creation contest. This challenge's theme is Super Heroes.

Come check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Recently we held an event where rep powers went a bit crazy so if you've been visited by the Rep Bot it was a byproduct of restoring pre-event values. Additionally we've gauged the reactions from this event and will be rolling out some new uses for rep in the near future. Thank you for your patience and stay on the lookout for new things to come!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The battle of the booty is over and NF's waifu has been decided! Join us for discussion in the award ceremony thread here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the Last Movie You Saw Thread: Rock Bottom, Redux - - - - - Part 47

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by Reznor, Feb 13, 2016.

1. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

My sister came over and we first tried to watch "Avalanche Sharks", but she hated it, so we watched "Ice Sharks" instead...and stopped around the half way point, but I assure you I'll get to it.

2. Slice Dangerous

We watched Avalanche Sharks (which hillariously is called 'Snow Sharks' in Germany) a year ago or so on one of our infamous "bad movies plus lots of booze" evenings.

It was pretty great.

3. Slice Dangerous

I just learned that ANNIHILATION will only get a limited theatre release in USA and the rest of the world gets it on Netflix.

Apparently the studio bosses think it is "too smart" for moviegoers everywhere and will bomb so they sidelined it.

That is some next level stupidity.

4. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

That's distressing, as I really want to see it. At the absolute f@cking least, make it available to everyone, even if that means doing a full netflix release...or maybe just give the movie a real f@cking theatrical release.

I suspect the box office failure of "Blade Runner" is probably responsible for this, as now studios are going to assume that audiences don't want intellectual science fiction...even though "Blade Runner" only bombed because it was really expensive for that kind of movie and "Annihilation" had like a 3rd of the budget...

5. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

From what I read, it was test screened by audiences and they just didn't "get it". And their only options were to "dumb it down" Or bring it to tv.

6. Ennoea Red Light

Alittle unfair to blame it on Blade Runner. Studios are investing all their money in tent pole films now so aren't taking risks with other films. Also Netflix gave them a good deal for Annihilation.

7. Rukia los ingobernables

Damn. I'm really disappointed! If it wasn't for Blade Runner!!!!! This wouldn't have happened!!!!

:mad

8. Ennoea Red Light

The film has no buzz right now. So Paramount weren't investing much. The reviews are good though.

9. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

It's not the worst of its kind. It moves really quickly and the gimmick is unique enough, although I also have to admit that I'm already beginning to forget it. It lacks the 'OMG This is Terribad!' factor that "Sharknado" exploits. It's just bad enough to be bad, but fast paced enough to get itself over with before the badness starts to annoy you.

What? It happens all the time. Remember "The Wolf-Man (2010)"? It's box office failure lead to the cancellation of "In the Mountains of Madness", even though that had already snagged Tom Cruise. "The Mummy (2017)" lead to the cancellation of "Bride of Frankenstein", even though they had apparently already started filming. Studios think broadly, so when an intellectual piece of Science Fiction fails, they will think people just don't want intellectual science fiction.

10. Ennoea Red Light

Mountains of Madness was too high budget for an r rated film. Studios were never gonna back that up. That's why noone has touched it.

I wouldn't call The Mummy sci fi. They changed their plans because the Mummy was a huge failure.

Blade Runner 2 isn't some huge disaster. But it was overly budgeted. At this point sci fi films are winding down and Studios are investing heavily in franchise films. Paramount probably got a good deal from Netflix and I bet have covered all their costs. It's a smart decision.

11. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I wasn't restricting this only to science fiction. "Blade Runner 2" wasn't a huge disaster, but it was still a financial bomb that scored headlines because of its disappointing returns. Dude, I love the movie too and I believe I even listed it as my #1 movie of 2017, but it was box office failure. Studios want money. If "Blade Runner 2" failed, what chance does "Annihilation" have when it doesn't already have a built-in fanbase?

Or at least, that's their logic. "Cutthroat Island" bombs and they blame Pirate movies, instead of blaming their own product. "Blade Runner 2" was great, but it was always going to be a difficult sell to a wide audience and it's budget obviously meant it required a wide audience to be profitable. That's why it bombed and "Annihilation" is suffering from the fall-out, even though it's budget wasn't THAT big and the right marketing campaign would've given it a shot. I think their logic is stupid, but it's their logic because it's easier for them to blame genres, trends, etc. than themselves.

Once again, for me, it feels like Paramount is using netflix as a dumping ground. "Cloverfield Paradox" cost $50,000,000 to acquire, but apparently isn't very good and many have pointed out that the netflix originals feel like they're getting a little on the cheap side. But I guess it's too early to say, as we haven't seen the movie yet. Perhaps it gives netflix credibility and is successful on that platform enough to start a new wave of unique, smart science fiction products. Or perhaps it isn't worth the cost and makes netflix the new 'direct-to-DVD'.

12. Ennoea Red Light

I can't say Annihilation is gonna be dumped because reviews are really good. Maybe Alex Garland will get a huge audience for the film on Netflix. Paramount seems to be going under anyway. Their 2018 roster is terrible.

Coco

Meh. I thought it was like a bad soap opera. Looked nice at times but kind of just average.

C

13. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Certainly possible and I'm rooting for it, as everything about the trailers made it look awesome. Hopefully it's showing near me.

14. Rukia los ingobernables

It’s playing in Los Angeles. I got an email notifying me of an early screening in Westwood.

16. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Takashi Miike movie that's arguably his weirdest feature yet. The story is...Yakuza Vampires...and if you get bit by a Yakuza Vampire, you become a Yakuza Vampire...and then a telekinetic, kung fu, frog person wearing a frog suit shows up to fight the heroic Yakuza Vampire...f@cking weird. I enjoy this kind of madness and the movie continuously kept me off guard, but it does eventually run out of steam HARD. For the last 15-20 minutes, I was falling asleep. They build up this big fight scene between the Yakuza Vampire and 'Mad Dog' from "The Raid" and for like 5 minutes, it's just them punching each-other in the faces. So it's definitely a Takashi Miike movie, but it's not among his best. "Gozu" was just as weird and moved a lot more slowly, but something about its atmosphere was a lot more compelling.

17. Yasha Procreate

18. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

19. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

This is actually the first Hannibal Lecktor movie, so it's strange to realize that Anthony Hopkins was not the first person in the role, even if he became the most iconic. It's actually really good, being much better than the "Red Dragon" and I make that comparison because "Manhunter" is an adaptation of the "Red Dragon" book. I can't compare it to "Silence of the Lambs" because it's been so long since I've seen that one. This had a lot of suspense, style and atmosphere. The cast is really good, with Brian Cox being excellent as Lecktor. Part of what makes him scary here is that he isn't in the movie that much, but is given enough screen-time to leave an impression. Hell, he's the only one I feel compelled to talk about, so that obviously says something about his performance. The mystery is also interesting, but I have two complaints.

- Graham talks to himself a lot, which is part of him getting into the killers head. In the book, I seem to remember it was his thoughts and the psychological process Graham puts himself through is pivotal to the story, so I don't know how the filmmakers could've gotten around this. It looks silly seeing him fake conversing with himself, but I can't figure out what could've made that sound more natural.

- The killer is underdeveloped in some problematic ways. For example, even though the 'Red Dragon' is brought up, it seemed like that angle was more of less dropped around the half way point.

You also have to contend with some 80's cheese, but I was really impressed with this one.

20. Rukia los ingobernables

21. Rukia los ingobernables

ALL IN

:rotfl

23. Rukia los ingobernables

24. Gabe Murim Grand Master

Good movie
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    they killed off their villains again. Should have kept klaw alive somehow.

25. Bluebeard Classy Gent

Spoiler:
    Easily fits into the Upper Tier of the MCU. Chadwick Boseman was excellent, he might be one of my favorite MCU Leads right after Chris Evans as Cap. He does an excellent job of bringing actual gravity and emotion to his scenes that you just don’t get out of a lot of the MCU leads. Probably one of the better MCU casts as well. A lot of times I feel like the MCU films will have all these great actors assembled and then put them in wasted roles (like, for example, Rachel McAdam’s pointless ass role in Doctor Strange), but I really didn’t get that from this movie. Everyone had their part (except for Angela Bassett really) and I loved all the new characters introduced; favorites probably being M’Baku and Shuri. They did a great job with designing Wakanda and the way Africa is shown is just beautiful. I also really appreciate the score, first for not being generic like most other MCU scores, and for the African influence. Gave the film a unique flavor. This is also probably the most stand-alone MCU movie so far IMO. No cameos during the main movie and hardly any references to the wider MCU. I think it worked to the advantage too.

Killmonger, great villain, I believe this is also the first Marvel movie where the protagonist straight up loses to the antagonist in a fair fight. Throwing T’Challa over the cliff was a great moment, reminded me of Batman v. Bane in TDKR, except just not as brutal, still one of the best CBM moments.

I was impressed with the number of themes that the film tried to tackle. Black elitism, colonization, abandoned fathers, black-on-black crime, etc. While I don’t think that it necessarily completely delves into all of them, I still felt it was ambitious for some of these things being discussed in a superhero blockbuster and it is probably the most political superhero movie done so far (previous crown holder being TDK). Only things that really hold me back from given this a higher rating is that it moves rather slowly in the beginning, runtime could’ve probably been shortened by about 15 minutes. The other thing is something that I think all the upper tier MCU movies have fallen into and that is not attempting to break the normal superhero movie structure. Great as it was, by the end I felt as if it fell into the good old superhero traps and that’s what truly held it back from being elevated to an even higher level. Will definitely watch it again to determine where I would put it in my overall MCU rankings.

26. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Yeah, I really liked it too. I won't go into a full review right now, but I appreciated how different it was than the others. I suppose you can make some comparisons to "Thor" from a storytelling perspective, but it tackles some similar ideas from different perspectives. I also was surprised how much I liked the supporting cast, even the villains (an MCU weakness). There was one relationship that I felt must've been left on the editing room floor (were they a couple? Or related?) and one character resolution seemed anti-climactic, but it was exciting, adventurous, funny, heartfelt and more dramatic than the past few Marvel flicks have been. The visuals were really cool too.

27. Rukia los ingobernables

28. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

This has a 2.8/10 on imdb, but I don't know why. Yeah, it's bad...but is it really THAT bad? Or has "Jaws in Japan" corrupted how I view crappy shark movies? Anyway, this is a rip-off of "Waterworld"...not the most timely mockbuster, is it? I appreciate the ambition, the acting isn't as terrible as it normally is and the action is consistent. It also has an asshole scientist suddenly redeem himself by pulling a Katana out of nowhere and start slicing sharks...so there's that...But it's still bad in the same way that most of these shark movies are bad. But if this kind of garbage is your taste...and there is obviously no derision intended, as I have my own adored garbage, then check it out.

29. Bluebeard Classy Gent

So stupid. Lead actresses were hot but overall just awful.

30. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

You need to watch good shitty shark movies, like "Ice Sharks".

I don't even remember "47 Meters Down", although I watched it not long ago.