1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Real

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by mow, Mar 31, 2005.

1. mow

By the same author of Slamdunk! Inoue Takehiko. This is a wonderful manga. Her Artwork has gotten insanily better and the story is both powerful and profound in its depth. As with the previous basketball theme in mind, this one has a twist. It deals with handicapped basketball. The story and characters are well designed and unique, its certainly climbing the ranks of my fav mangas of all time. You can find it right here. Omanga has been EXCEPTIONALLY slow at its release, but they seem to be picking up. Give it a d/l and tell me what you think.

Tags:
  2. Headhyuuga

I actually read this a few days ago, I wasnt familar with slamdunk prior to reading it, but it seems like an intresting story. When I first saw the Wchair it reminded me of Bones Justice when he was in a wheel chair. BTW Bones Justice was from Mutant League.

3. Code

I thought Inoue Takehiko was a male... at least according to ann

Anyways I read REAL a few months ago, was simply awesome as most of Inoue Takehiko's works is(all I've read so far). Wasn't too into the concept of weelchair basketball manga but I gave it a try and well was hooked. I've read up to all of volume 3.

4. mpthread

Damn you Moe getting me addicted to another series. Read 1 Vol so far great stuff, as expected from the genius behind Vagabound

5. mow

She's A He? XD sorry my fault, I always though he was a she.

And you are always welcomed mpthread :p, if you though vol 1 was good, wait till you read Vol 2

So what are your thoughs guys. It;s a very realistic manga and very touching. It's by far one of the most superor manga's I have read. The character development is rapid, yet doesnt throw you off track. And the artwork is simply grand, on a comletely different level than the rest of the titles nowadays. I hope omanga continues to scanlate it

6. Crusifikz70

Where can i find this manga?

7. mow

8. kane_x

I like Real. Started reading it few months ago, while omanga was still being dead, so I was really happy when they started realease new chapters.
    Though I'm not really into sport mangas but this one just kinda appeals to me. The art is good, the characters in it are great and the story in general is quite interesting. Can't wait to get new chapters. :amuse

9. jkingler

^Read all that's out yesterday. Great story. Great pacing. Great chars (I wonder what Hisanobu will do next :blink)

10. Atlas (inactive)

bwahahaha, i remember that show (assuming thats what it was called). i think ill check out the manga just for mentioning this.

11. mow

Dont you just love the artwork? It's probabily the best in all the mangas have read. I love the special coloured pages. Her colouring style is so soft and unique.

12. Code

I just saw the the raw of chapter 27 on the Young Jump issue thingy(which is a weekly manga) and well the chapter was 36 pages. I know the manga was on a break(as with Vagabond) and just came back in today's issue. Does he plan to keep REAL weekly? I do think it would be kind of hard, as Vagabond is now weekly(was bi-weekly before I believe) and if REAL is weekly thne that makes 2 weely mangas...(both which are amazing). Just wondering what the release rate of REAL is since it appeared in a weekly magazine.

And I'm almost very sure that Inoue Takehiko is a male...

13. mow

Im still trying to find out his/her gender :p

I really dont know it's release dates. I only came upon the manga during Omanga's (extended) period of inactivity. But I do hope it become weekly, and that Omanga (or another group for that matter) will pick it up. It would be a real shame if such a superb title went unnoticed.

14. I ARE 1031

Inoue Takehiko is a man, trust me on this one. I told you this before moe. Hey does anybody know where I can download VAGABOND? I heard somebody mention it before so maybe somebody here actually knows.

15. Code

Well before I was downloading it off a bot before it went down... ckmoney.net you can try to get it off an irc channel. Vagabond is awesome by the way...

16. Crowe

Ah, great manga. I found it a few days ago on my harddrive and started reading it. I was soo in to my reading i forgot to study for my test and got an F on it :I

but now everything is gone, my harddrive went berserk. 40 gig Manga, 70-100 gig anime ://

17. mow

lol pek
    fak fak fak fak =/

18. starsun

Yeah I just started reading it, its kinda good!

19. Beatnik

Slam Dunk is one of my favourite manga ever, so I will be checking this out at some point, just waiting for more volumes to come out and will pace myself steadily.

20. Code

Yeah. Waiting for more volumes to come out too... but Takihiko is off his break now. So things should be looking good.

21. Ishamael (inactive)

I was shocked to find no real discussion about REAL. So here goes!

Title:REAL
    Mangaka:Inoue Takehiko(made slamdunk/vagabond)
    Genre: Sports,Basketball,drama
    Scanalator:Omanga/Hawks

Plot:Real is a story about three teenagers who love basketball,Tomomi Nomiya, Kiyoharu Togawa and Takahashi Hisanobu. Each person holds a pain that they are trying to overcome. Nomiya is a basketball fanatic who has an accident and paralizes a girl on a joy ride. The accident forces him to dropout of school and quit playing basketball. Througout the story he is constantly
    trying to atone and become a better person(and obviously play basketball).

Togawa is an ex-sprinter who lost his leg due to a tumor. He plays Wheelchair basketball and is trying to reach the nationals so that he could do what he failed to do as a sprinter. When we first meet Togawa he is playing basketball by himself, however Nomiya is able to revive the fire that was lost after the accident.

Hisanobu comes into the story as a real jerk who cares all about his popularity and being captian on the school basketball team. However do to a certain circumstance his life comes crashing around him. Nomiya is able to give him a new spirit and continue his life while all his old friends abandon him.

Summary: REAL is a manga which focus's on character development and the revival of life within someone. You watch Nomiya go from a low life to a person living to be a better person (of cource he retains his stupid personality). You watch Togawa go from a miserable person to someone with new dreams and aspirations. And ofcource you watch Hisanobu struggle through his best and worst times of his life.

This story is similar and different to slamdunk. It is funny but not as funny as slamdunk. However this story is absolutely beautifull. It is a joy to watch these people come together in onesport and fight together in heartache. It holds a different theme than slam dunk, sure its darker but its not like a constant depression. There are definately happy parts and for me it is more happy than it is sad.This story inspires me and makes me realize that my life is easy compared to others. If these people continue to fight under there circumstances, than so can us all.

All current chapters can be found here!?

22. Yakuza

have you go nay links for download??? omanga isnt working for me...
    it sound interesting...

23. The Drunken Monkey

mangatraders has the first four volumes.

I'm up to date with this manga and I can't wait to see more, it's a pretty good read since it's more emotional than Slam Dunk but the action not as good though but still decent.
    This is probably a must read aswell.

24. Ishamael (inactive)

whats wronge with manga traders

@siru: yeah i agree, but this manga isnt really based on action anyways

the manga sorta started slow but recently ive been hooked with all the plots

25. Aruarian

INOUE NEEDS TO MAKE THIS SHIT MORE FREQUENT :D:

26. ~Shin~

This manga wasn't meant to have "action" anyway. I think Inoue even said himself that he was going for a more realistic approach on basketball and the handicapped.

That said, this is one of the few mangas that had a lot of emotional impact on me. One of my favorites even though I've only read 5 volumes.

27. Lusankya

When the last release? A year ago? Dunno what happened to it.

28. Niabingi

The current scanlators dropped it as it got licensed there are a few groups willing to work on this but seinen translators are hard to find! Volume 7 came out some months ago though there are only crap raws available on the net. As for volume 8 that'll be out some time this autumn/fall.

29. Aruarian

Fucking Viz picked it up. ._.

30. Parallax Retired Staff

Flag:
    Mexico
    Catdank Faction:
    Read all 6 scanlated volumes and have browsed through 7. May just be my favorite of Inoue's work and easily one of the best manga's I have ever read.