1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Record stores

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by o0oEnderIlleso0o, Dec 4, 2005.

1. o0oEnderIlleso0o The Lungs of the Ocean

I manage a record store. I was hoping for some input from the mature members of NF as to what draws them to what music stores and why. Specific examples are okay. The store I run is local and independant and any input to help us stay above water is very appreciated. Thanks folks. :smile-big

Tags:
  2. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

A really good example is Vancouvers legendary Scrape Records. A metal only store that continues to support and improve the local scene and goes out of its way to make regulars feel awesome.

3. DyersEve The Great Southern Trendkill

Rasputin and Ameoba come to mind.

Ameoba has a pretty big selection of everything, a crap load of vynil too. That's the place to go if you're looking for original recordings, rarities and what have you. A lot of their stuff is cheap, too. (Not to mention all the proceeds work towards saving teh rainforest. :kukuku)

Rasputin is a little more straight forward, and have a by all means good selection, but no where near the range of Ameoba. A bit more expensive, but if you need to find something specific then Rasputin is pretty efficent. It's where I usually go.

4. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

I wouldn't know. The closest thing to a record store is a called "Something Beatz" with a poster of 50 Cent in the front window.

5. Meijin Smile

If you want to be successful, sell mainstream stuff.
    If you want to have a group of regular customers, sell real music.

6. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

^

What he said.

Find a niche, make it so the regulars want to come back. (Two years ago, my ex at the time went in to buy me a $100 gift certificate, and JJ the owner tacked an additional $50 on for free).

7. o0oEnderIlleso0o The Lungs of the Ocean

Awesome advice. How about environment?

8. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Keep it subdued.

Don't go all out. Put up posters yes (signed ones behind the counter are a good image. Hang shirts, but don't overdo it. Let the focus be on what they are after.

Above all the thing I found that keeps me coming back to Scrape is that JJ made an effort to get to know my tastes and to help me explore em further. When I went in one day with some spare cash we started talking and he pulled out a buncha cd's that he thought I'd like, and threw em on the stereo and we sat and discussed all four as we listened to each complete album.

THAT'S the kind of service that makes small shops best.

9. Sid _

2-3 comfy seats, a table and a coffee machine = winner

10. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

I love any records store where I can find some rare shit and where the personal are really knowledgable about music and very social with me. I like talking about music with the elites.

Also what Sid said is a plus. Except that I don't drink coffee.

11. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

Sell both gay stuff and real music. Put some mainstream known shit to lure all the children into the shop and save them. If failed then kill them and keep them in small boxes in the basement.

12. Voynich MADDER RED

I dunno. I'd say be friendly and don't chase newbies to good music out of the store by acting like an elitist and not offering any help whatsoever. They tend to do that over here. I seriously hate it, cause sometimes I just need help determining what is what and they act like I'm asking for a Britney Spears album =/

13. Jef88 88

my regual record store sucks >__<
    i only go there for the discounts i get on dvds
    cause i was looking for a frank zappa cd and the girl from the store was like who the fuck is frank zappa
    so now i have to wait untill i go to the big city for a good record store >____<
    and advice just be youreself casual, friendly and show intresst in the peoples choise of music and help them with other music styles if they want to try something new

14. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Ok I think it's simple. Clone moe and let him work there. :D

15. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Actually the table/coffee thing is a really good idea if you can manage the space.

But yeah above all, help.

That is the primary thing that seperates a place like Scrape from most places.Service and interest.

16. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Pretty much every point stated above (minus clone me part XD), but the most essintal aspect is the service. If your customers can feel comfortable and interested enugh to sit down and chat with the workers, you have it made. Plus knowlegable works = good recs, good recs= happy customers.

A nice, loungy atmosphere is all that you need, everyone kicking back in your store will elevate it from just a record store to a hangout/spotlight area.

Do an artist profile everyonce and a while, and special bargains for their work

BUY/SELL USED CDS.

In any case, I think you will do an ace job. You're a cool cat and I hope your store becomes exptionally successful :amuse

17. Sid _

Yup. I mentioned the seats and coffee thing because my favourite record store has this really comfy couch in it. They play (and sell) GREAT music as well; I could sit in there all day and listen to music, read some music magazines, talk with the managers, etc.

good stuff

18. o0oEnderIlleso0o The Lungs of the Ocean

Done and done.

We dont have room for coffee YET, but I bought a couch the other day and people seem to enjoy it. I have 4 cd players out that customers can listen to ANYTHING on, new or used.

How about vinyl? Does that draw you?

19. NaRa Metally Retarded

I say we all open A NF Record Store chain each owned by us distributing friendly service and great new music.

don't come on to strong the first time around to new customers.welcome them warmly a min or so of small talk and maybe throw a couple names of bands that are relative to the ones they are buying.Then if they start to become regulars thats when you really get into what they might like or might not let em listen to a couple cds.With customer service the trick is to not come on to strong the first time around but also make them feel welcome.Variety of music some smooth colors(none of that bright yellow shit like sam goodies).i've seen alot of good ideas in here.

20. Ephemeral color of a breeze

Vinyl surely would draw me, It'll certainly draw some people who are looking for some of the oldies. If you could, get your hands on some vinyls and sell. I rarely find a good vinyl store where I live so I usually go to place on 11 ave here.

21. pnoypridz Member

sell mainstream

but if u dont want to do that be as friendly as possible. i usaully become a regular at places where the people are friendly and never come back if the service is trash

22. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

If you have a niche, selling mainstream as well is viable, but if you choose not to, you still have the niche.

Used cd's is good, and Vinyl is almost always a draw.

23. o0oEnderIlleso0o The Lungs of the Ocean

Right now my used product outnumbers my new by more than double. Very small vinyl section, around 40 new and maybe 300 used. As far as mainstream goes I find that most people looking for that kind of music go to Walmart to buy it. There they can buy the album for 10 bucks because of the mass ordering the company does. For instance, I ordered thirty of the new Death from Above 1979 remix album (which is great by the way) and only 3 of the new Lindsey Lohan. I only have two Death from Above albums left and I have sold only one Lindsey Lohan.

24. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Stay to the underground, but keep the mainstream second hands off to the side in what we affectionately refer to as the Scorpion pit.

(JJs term for a collection of used CD's that are almost always poisonous to the soul XD)

25. Jink Kid :thumbs

Vinyl would interest me greatly, I dont have any vinyl stores around my place

26. BlueCheese 希望

Good on you there aren't enough independent record stores these days.