1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Reflecting on Nanatsu no Taizai's story

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Keishin, Dec 31, 2018.

How was the Journey?

1. Good

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Disappointing

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Average shounen story/no potential

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Keishin Well-Known Member

It's 2019. As Nanatsu no Taizai is heading towards its conclusion really damn soon, let's take a step back and realize what made this series as incredibly popular as it was. It is time to pay some respect to a dying series.

"The Holy War"
    The final arc dealing with the Holy War has been really lackluster and the writing bootleg. However the choices Nakaba made in handling of Meliodas makes it both more interesting and kind of mediocre as the story doesn't seem to progress at all. It's just shounen fights one after another, and it shows. We randomly just get introduced to demon guys more powerful than 9 of the Ten Commandments, arthur gets wrecked, we also get a neat Mael reveal... which is ruined by everything else surrounding that plot. Handling of Estarossa was kind of garbage. And so much more litter... the direction is a mess and the story just does not focus on the right things.

"Revival of the Ten Commandments"
    The second arc was the same as the final arc. Except blander. The face-off with the hailed Ten Commandments. The Elite demons. But it was complete dog shit with terrible pacing and handling of ideas. It was mostly battles, and the fights were booty stomp quarrels that lacked emotional impact. No one I've heard of liked how Fraudrin (Liz's killer) was handled.

"The Seven Deadly Sins"
    And then we get to the beginning of it all. The first arc. Now that I've peeped at the arc once more, the first 100 chapters were pretty incredible in their own way. The atmosphere and writing were on point for an adventure shounen series.The fights had impact and were always overpowered but definitely not just merely hype tools.

Everything that lead up to the following arcs and their twists was built up in this arc. The subtleness of the plot, storyboarding and handling of characters were all superior as well.
    The atmosphere was inviting for the reader. Meet up at the pub and collect information for the future, this moment is one of my absolute favourite in the series with how incredibly fitting for a LotR-type of adventure series this foreshadowing was, truly opening up a "grand RPG-like journey."

The incoming arcs had some strong foreshadowing with many events in the first arc. Whether it's the more clear ones such as "The promise I made with you" foreshadowing of Meliodas saying to Elizabeth or the faces on the Wanted Poster, there's also quite a bit of more subtleness that make the series worth re-reading. Who caught Gowther knowing about Dreyfus's situation or Ban talking about 'planting' in a random panel? The amount of effort put to the little details makes the conclusions to these plots all the more disappointing.
    Spoiler:

This one in chapter 16 is a great example of being amazing in its atmosphere, you can pretty much feel that chilly New Years feel in this moment which shows Merlin (when she was still mysterious instead of.. whatever she now is), Mama Hawk, and the rest looking up at the skies as they think about an old britannian poem. And that chapter ender about the war between light and darkness is presented in an emotional way as the Sins nap. "It will signal the beginning of a trial, preordained since the ancient times."
    Spoiler:

Now let me tell you about these character moments. Nanatsu no Taizai has always heavily been about past regrets, sins that the main cast has to carry with them for all eternity. The contrast between how short a human life is and how long a Fairy's and a Giant's lives were, was something that can really hit the reader when reading the first arc. The first meeting between Ban and King for example consists also of these elements and the type of relationships that the characters have with each other. Ban is said to be a mischievous thief while King the kind-hearted person who always fixed up the mess that Ban caused in the past.
    So when this moment of Ban's and King's reunion happened, I could say: Shocking, and the artwork in early NnT (remember Gilthunder?) was nasty clean with great perspectives in comparison to what it now is.
    Spoiler:

There's also something about the fights that really stood out. Whether it be Guila "killing herself" just to go after the Sins in the Capital of the Dead, Meliodas lifting Diane so she doesn't get stabbed by crystal on the ground as she almost falls on it, to the coreography like how the double page is split in Ban vs King. The aspect of teamwork still stands in the battles (vs Chandler, Mael) but it's littered with so much garbage (everyone is a god, even Escanor regens, lack of tension, shit writing) that ruin the moments. It's lacking actual conflict that stands out.
    Though, if Taizai had toned down in the amount of battles it has in the later arcs, it might've turned out decent aside from just having a good to great first third of the series.
    Spoiler:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Taizai295 Member

The only thing saving Taizai from being considered disappointing is the first 100-150 chapters of the series, after that, the quality fell. Hard.

So yeah, it’s an average shonen story. Nothing really special about it. At least, not anymore.

3. Keishin Well-Known Member

@Rax

4. Ziyu Well-Known Member

Brazil
    It kind of reminds me of Toriko. It was good till chapter 200~250 then started going down hill, but some fights saved the series from being even worse.

5. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Toriko has had the most absurd powercreeps in the history of fiction.

They went from Toriko smashing a giant boulder being impressive to people eating supernovas and being DBZ-tier threats. :cursed

6. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

I agree that overall NnT is average. Nothing groundbreaking, but never too disappointing either. For me it always stays in the 'okay-pretty good' range.

7. goombanthime well-known member

Canada
    Somehow it never felt like it was bullshit, I liked how over the top it got, and how the setting itself got stronger

8. White Wolf Super Moderator

Pretty much this...

It was really good up until a point, but once the commandments started dropping like fruit flies and the pacing seemingly ramped up to 100 the quality really diminished.

9. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

No.

Nakaba's one man circle jerk for Meliodas and King ruined the series for me.

Now King is about to trash the Original Sinner :lmao

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Keishin Well-Known Member

He won't it was already foreshadowed that the OG has a sealed magic power he will unleash . Then he will be a monster to King

11. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

Following the true Bleach method of a constant swing between who's one siding the fight :maybe

12. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm a junkie for shit like that. I just never thought they'd go that far with it.

13. Dayscanor The One

A decent thread, for once.

Of course the first arc would be better, most shounens are good at the beginning, because things are still fresh and there's still room for creativity, and developing the characters and story.

But we've established by now that shounen as a genre is plagued with inconsistent writing, heck even seinens can tend to get boring at times...But I think the main issue is that it seems there can never be a true balance between fights and plot/ character development. I remember during the HW flashback, a lot of people were complaining about the lack of fights...

And that is not really Nakaba's fault, as it is a general issue common to all shounens.Authors feel forced to include a shit ton of fights, and I really can't see it any other way now that the manga is ending.The plot itself is wrapping up, as it is now an all out conflict that involves everyone, starting with the Sins.
    Having a lot of fights also has to do with the fact that authors still try to copy Toriyama and DB's model, which granted was successful, but it still suffered from glaring issues.

I'll still give props to Nakaba for having that incredible amount of foreshadowing and tying various aspects of the story together. Who would have guessed how far "the promise" would go back, and how essential it is to the story? Or the stuff with Estarossa and Eli, and how they knew each other, except not really? It's things like these that makes me not hesitate to recommend NnT, but I can't say the same about other shounens, but also because I feel Nakaba still cares a bit, unlike some authors who took a dump on their own work and characters....

Say what you will, while it may be that the quality isn't as good as it used to be (and there's really a handful of authors who manage to have a consistent quality over the course of the publication) NnT's premise, the relationships between the characters etc is still 10 times more interesting than the garbage you see around these days.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019