1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Reflections on TGS 06

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by hyakku, Sep 25, 2006.

1. hyakku Active Member

Well, I as i sit on my chair mulling over the events of the gaming world over the last few days, I must say that I'm not too wowed. I'm satisfied, but nothing really stood out, it just seemed like a week of "good" news. I didn't really follow the Wii though, so maybe that was the true king this year, but PS3 and 360 kind of seemed like:

A. They were trying to outdo each other.
    B. They were focusing on a few key games and kind of didn't say much about other amazing titles (Mass effect, Too Human, FFXIII, UT).
    C. Kind of lackluster.

I mean Microsoft I shouldn't have really expected so much (X06 being right around the corner, plus the huge blowout they had at E3), but Sony made TGS out to be the second coming of Christ, but all I saw was really the same games (360 and PS3) with a few new perks.

Some good things:
    1080p for 360
    1080p in 20GB PS3
    MGS 4 Info
    DMC 4 info
    Blue dragon info
    Lost Odyssey (that was fucking incredible)
    Crackdown
    Sonic
    White knight story.

I feel not let down, but more or less expecting like Ken or Bill to come out and say something like, "PS3 comes out tommorow wooo!!!" or "Halo 3 is dropping this year" (obviously sarcasm, but I thought there would be HUGE announcements at TGS, especially from Sony).

Anyone else share the feeling or did I just expect to much? Maybe i shold have followed the Wii, I feel like that's probably where everything was at like at E3. What about you guys? What were your impressions.

Tags:
  2. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

There was not much at TGS for Wii a few surprises like Bleach Trailers and off Screen gameplay and NAruto Wii but nothing as Exciting as E3 was.

Basically what shocked me by the popular vote 360 took the show. I belive this is the case thx to Blue Dragon Demo's / gameplay and Lost Odyssey demo / gameplay. Hence Japan loves RPGS so i was kinda shocked at that aspect.

Overall it was a So so TGS not many GREAT announcments or things that happened but there was some good things that happened. I think E3 was better this year than TGS.

Overall I liked it this year ubt i liked E3 much better. For 360 im happy to see JRPGS come along for the system and good ones at that so the system will sell over there.

PS3 stuff there was quite a bit but really not many HUGE hitters that screamed "holy shit"! MGS 4 was nice but i wish there was a demo for it. DMC was cool not great but cool none the less.

White knight story was intresting cannot wait for more to develop on that.

Crack down i did not keep up with that.

and sonic is sonic really.

on the HArdware front the 1080P announcements and the HDMI thing for the lower end PS3 for japan and the price cut in japan where proabably the biggest hardware announcements there.

Other than that it was a good show but i think E3 was a much better show for Xbox 360 and Nintendo . though TGS was a better show for sony thats for sure but nothing outstanding or ground breaking like you mentioned.

3. Aman <font color='#0000A0'>Really?</font>

It was a disappointment because my expectations were too high, not because they did a bad job. :amuse

4. Stumpy Ǧ̴͚͠ǒ̳̹̘̄̈́ǫ͚̪͊ͬ̄̿ͮ̍͑ ́͢d̥ ̤̼̈̀͌

I never expected too much from MS at TGS except Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and we got both, so I suppose I'm satisfied at that. The titles you mention there are 3rd party titles, so I would think that MS and Sony don't really have control over whether those are featured at the shows or not.

X06 ftw.

5. BladeofTheChad Pedo for Sakura

Well, i for one am a bit relieved...nobodies making fun of Massive Damage after TGS...so that means Sony had a great showing...

ive seen amazing games for the thing now...MotorStorm, White Knight Story, DMC4, MGS4...

basically, i think Sony is on track to sell out at launch and continue selling out for quite some time...

6. Goofy Titan Oh oh oh

No, people still are at the Massive Damage, because it still IS funny. Though, what appears to be the new lol is the YTMND of The Price Is Kaz;

Still, I wasn't really too wowed at TGS, just maybe a few games. The system hasn't wowed me, the games have.

7. BladeofTheChad Pedo for Sakura

well, ytmnd sucks...at least to me...one thing funny for 100000 copies of the shit that isnt...

8. hyakku Active Member

See though, I dont think I expected too much, at least not from Sony, in retrospect, yea from microsoft I did, why did I expect them to display games catered to the western market in a Japanese convention. But sony? They went on and on and on and on about how TGS was going to be the shit, and when it got there it was the same shit they had at E3, except this time it was ingame stuff and a few demos.

By the way what was that five word title thing they were talking about?

9. BladeofTheChad Pedo for Sakura

that launch title wont be revealed till the November OPM issue...and please, Sony had a better showing than MS...

10. ricc .

The DOAX2 trailer @ TGS was quite.. nice :nod

11. Wondermilk Member

I got to see the tales of destiny remake.

Best.thing.ever. <3

But that was the only thing I liked of it XP

12. Volken Heureusement

My expectations for TGS weren't high at all. There was nothing much to cover in any of the systems that wasn't covered at the previous conventions. E3 definitely was the bigger and more exciting event. The trailer for Bleach Wii was good, though.

13. hyakku Active Member

Why did they delay it?

Sony had a slightly better showing I agree, but after E3 they made it out like they inentionally did shit at E3 so that they could wow everyon at TGS, and now that its passed I'm left thinking, "well....where's the surprise?"

14. DMC Banned

Nintendo Fanboy Response:
    Well I was suprised at how crappy the PS3 was overall. God that system sux so fucking much no one will ever buy one. And if they do it will blow up and cause a nuclear explosion that will destroy the area :yell

Sony Fanboy Response:
    OMFG I can't believe what the PS3 is gonna have! It is gonna have so many games at launch that anyone who buys the Wii and Lockbox will be fucking committed into the nearest crazy house :yell

Xbox Fanboy Response:
    Japenese people suck...Anime sucks...you faggots who are into anime go play those japenese systems and stay away from the pure American peice of machinery that is the Xbox 360, with games that outplay all that shit on those gay ass foreign systems :yell

Overview
    Nintendo Fanboy = Emo
    Sony Fanboy = Asshole
    Xbox Fanboy = ...Xenophobe?

15. BladeofTheChad Pedo for Sakura

well, i never said i wasnt an asshole, I hope you used me as the basis for the Sony Fanboy...

16. AdreneLyne Hatake●Kakashi ~

Didn't like it at all.

Wasted money to see it live.. :p

I did however like seeing Blue Dragon there.

Other than, nothing much really was good for me. Bleach 2 for DS was nice though.