1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Regarding Filler issues

Discussion in 'Konoha TV' started by Master Sasori, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Master Sasori

Many people around, mostly manga readers(and some anime watchers,or both) wil go, '' dont watch fillers. '', '' fillers suck. '', '' fillers are boring, their not link to the main story so don't watch them. ''

i'd like to say that, fillers aren't that of unimportant. Fillers are important actually. Just because the manga doesn't show the filler, you don't watch the filler in the anime? that's quite of ridiculous. What i want to say is, the anime is the anime. the manga is the manga. Two are of different things, though sharing the same(almost) content.

The anime might just go the other way, not following the manga story and hence the fillers might be linked to the anime storyline. what i want to tell people is to not skip the fillers just because their not in the main storyline.

Fillers are although sometimes abit boring, and though are not linked to the mainstoryline, and in Naruto's case, each arc is of its own story not linking to the other, they are there for something. They show you more of each characters in some fillers.(eg Kurenai.)

to summerise this whole post, don't skip fillers.

Note: i'm not flaming anybody here, and just voicing my opinions so..yeah, don't feel flamed.

PS: i had quite a handful of paragraphs to type actually, but i suddenly forgot all that content. My apologies if it's abit messy, like i have mentioned, i've forgotten all that content i wanted to type and hence squeezed out whatever i can remember, hence the messiness.

Tags:
  2. Space Jam

Almost every filler episode sucks....Yes there important but that doesn`t mean there good/worth watching

the only things I liked from the fillers were when the guy that tried to blow up kohana and when the little rich kid did "Money Clone"

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  3. Zaru Retired Staff

Lol that's why I'm not really caring for shippuuden anymore

I mean it's 60% filler

4. Master Sasori

5. ZetsuDa!

I agree with you 100%. IMO most of the manga people don't give a rat's you know what about talking in the anime and say "If they're talking it sucks! Enough and get to the fighting!"

I myself only watch the anime, and the filler part of shippuuden to me gives extremely important background information. To me it adds to the anime, not takes away from it.

As to regular naruto filler before shippuuden, yeah there were stupid story arcs (curry of life, pasta recipe), but for the most part they served a purpose and gave crucial background about characters(Anko and her time with Orochimaru, Kurenai and her OTHER student/3rd Hokage's mission).

6. Catterix

This is an old argument. Something which we bounced back and forth during the filler age (Not that this makes your point any invalid, I just want to tell you that we all understand how you feel lol)

My old argument was that, if in a movie thats based off a book, there's a scene that's not in the book, you don't call that scene filler, do you? And instantly disregard it as unimportant.

The anime has its own canon. And the manga has its own canon.

In the anime, Mizuki really did come back and turn into a tiger. There really was a fish girl. Naruto really did use Rasengan to make ramen. The Naruto we see in Shippuden, did all of those things lol.

Aaaaanyway, really, the main reason why people say don't watch fillers is this;

-Because its filler, its not progressive. If you want to get on with the storyline, then you don't want to be bogged down in something that actually adds nothing to the plot.

- The fillers, especially in Naruto's case, are not that good. They bring down the whole quality of the anime. They do, its just fact that they're not as good as the canon storyline. So why, if you don't need to, would you watch something that could potentially be unenjoyable to you?

- Fillers do not hold any importance on the story. Unless its the case like Bleach where storylines carry over into the canon anime, it is fact that the only reasons filler episodes exist, is to give the manga more space. The writers don't really want to give more background on characters, or put more emphasis on a certain person; they want to extend the story long enough for the anime to continue.

All of these reasons end up making the fillers somewhat redundant.

They're there for entertainment, and if they entertain you; watch them.

If they don't; then don't watch them.

And in the case of Naruto, often the fillers are in the latter section.

7. Purgatory

It's only trying to avoid the evil that happened with Part I.

8. Syphilis And Disorder

Fillers are great! I mean, every new filler episode I see a cool new technique of Naruto!

And the enemies are so badass. They always look like they crawled out of Hell.

And then there are the amzing plots! I mean, so many times did Naruto and co. stop the end of the world. like that one episode where Saddam and Osama tried placing the explosive notes inside a massive wooden Kyuubi.

9. Zaru Retired Staff

I had 136 good/okay episodes and just didn't watch the fillers.

But now canon material is mixed with "serious" filler like the whole suna shit. I mean I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT THOSE TALIBANS ARE DOING WHILE THE MAIN CHARACTERS ARE SUPPOSED TO FIGHT AKATSUKI

I can't enjoy an episode with all that pointless filler.

10. Ninjitsu

Fillers aren't that bad, some of them were good and funny.
    But the movies, which're kinda like fillers, kinda bored me.

11. tommy198

Tbh when you first started watching Naruto you watched it cause you enjoyed the show not to simply find out if Sasuke is saved by Naruto or not etc (Or whatever the story :p). My point is if you enjoy it, watch it if you don't watch it don't moan about it.

If you never knew about the manga you wouldn't really know its filler and probably wouldn't mind as much but simply class it as a few bad episodes.

12. Catterix

And whilst you're right, just be glad its not as bad as, say DBZ, when right in the middle of a battle you'll go to Muten Roshi's house where we have a dull, and "funny" scene involving them interacting before going back to the battle.

13. audiobully

It was the same move over and over again...and over again

Some episodes where allright though.

14. James

People watch a show like this for entertainment. No one wants to watch absolute garbage, so for the sake of their sanity people recommend that the fillers be skipped, because they're not worth wasting the time on, it's just not enjoyable.

15. Zorokiller

If you really watch it to enjoy it you only are a typical "Hey I watch japanese cartoons, it's so kewl they talk japanese and use weird moves!"

if you actually watched the fillers with a point of view like "Hey I want a enjoyable storyline to watch" you would have been terribly disappointed and turned of the episode after the first 10 mins or skipped most of it only to see there is really nothing good in the filler episodes.

Some people where thinking like "well gennou arc is okay" or something, but seriously watch it now again and you would see how crappy and stupid it is.

16. kordron

I can see why so many people call episodes fillers but I don't really look at them like that, I enjoy anime because of the stories and the action and some of the naruto episodes had alot of that.

I just find that without the "filler" episodes we wouldn't of been able to see an expansion on alot of really interesting characters in Konoha like Hinata for example.

17. James

Showing characters acting in a very stereotypical manner based on previously defined personality traits is hardly "expansion". The new Hinata jutsu was semi-decent I guess but that's like one of the only instances of any kind of character development in the entire 80 episode odd run of the fillers.

18. Sword Sage

I understand that some fillers can be boring and lame, but most of them are enjoyable to watch, Like Hinata developing a new ability and beaten some strong bad guys. I know everyone complaining the fillers dont follow the main storyline. But you what Master Sasori said "The anime is the anime. the manga is the manga. Two are of different things, though sharing the same(almost) content." That I can Agree. I mean I a huge Hinata and a Naruhina fan, She needs to have more screentime and fighting bad guys other than Neji. So does Naruto and Hinata moments together. Think about guys, Sasusaku had more screentime moments than Naruhina in manga canon. Why can't Naruhina have some more screentime moments instead of those two or three sweet moments in the Chuunin Exams. The fillers gave lots great Naruhina moments don't you think?

19. Na-

2. No.
    3. No.

Your post is full of wrongs and your own opinions, which alters it towhere you should instead say "IMO!!!" (Notice; In my opinion) instead of claiming it to be a fact.
    This is a post based on your opinions, and I cant but agree that some of the fact that you're using is actually wrong.
    Yeah sure, Go watch fillers if you've got an hentai-crush on one of the ladies, and watch the arc where it's about her, but that's as far as they're useful.

20. Kyo

er...na-..., what you said was also part of your opinion. When you said that fillers aren't that useful, that was also part of your opinion. And this is discussion not a place that is fit for flames so please do not flame

21. Master Sasori

Like i've mentioned under '' NOTE: '' i'm just voicing my opinions, in other words what i've typed under that post are just opinions, no facts at all.( probably only the '' people saying skip filler. '' etc are facts. )

22. Akatsuki_Naruto

Yeh fillers are some good they showed u that anko wasnt discarded garbage she left on her own free will

23. Akatsuki_Naruto

But some made me wanna kill myself like the ramen one

24. Mintaka

Naruto having to fight a freakin furry wannabee thats actaully mizuki=bad.

Naruto wasting an entire ep cahsing a mailman and using rasengan at least 50,000 diffrent times in one ep=worse.

Naruto having a freakish pokemon wannbee stuck to his back for almost and entire episode=Even worse.

Naruto having to save some loser who's supposedly got a national treasure then being chased by a bad guy who kills himself and then having said treasure be destroyed only to have it turn out that this guy whol looks like a complete idiotic loser that could have been a hobo was some national treasure despite the fact that he's no good qualities about him=UTTER FAILURE!

Naruto getting stuck in a summon house IN THE COUNTRY OF NECK (I swear to the gods I'm not even making that up)=EVEN MORE UTTER FIALURE!

FINALLY: Having this crap go on for 80 episodes straight=MENTAL SUICIDE!

25. Nawulf

I haaaated fillers. Even if I try to understand people who support fillers I don't succeed. They were so horrible until I stopped watching.

Most of the episodes are poorly animated, the plot is non-existent, and all of the characters have had their share of merciless character bashing.

No one is "in character" anymore, there has been regression in the character development, the humor is tasteless. The beautiful musics of the series have been totally abused by playing the most fierce fighting music along with an Engrish speaking dancing fat Elvis look-a-like.

I even made a hatelisting for the fillers, come and join, I know there are lots of you haters out there! ;D this

26. Catterix

The only thing I don't like about filler is the mentality many people have towards them.

Nowadays, anything that isn't directly related to the plot is called filler. Even animes not based off a manga, so long as there's an episode that doesn't directly tie to the plot; its filler.

Its as if for anime fans, TV is purely for plot now. They are completely plot-driven and obsessed with the progression of the storyline that they forget that TV is actually for entertainment, a factor which should always come first in any story.

Its just a shame how so many anime fans disregard anything that doesn't progress their precious plot, which means really, they've just lost the plot :p

27. Master Sasori

Ah, that's what i wanted to say through my post but can't seem to ''put'' it in.People are too obsessed with the storyline and they just call any episode that does not go along with the manga a filler. i pity the ''fillers.'' ><

28. Cloudane

I quite enjoyed some of the "fillers" (shrug) Yes even ones like the ramen episode, it was a break from the norm.

They serve a purpose - without filler, the story so far would've been done in about 5 episodes. Wouldn't be much of a show then would it :p

Also, just like many aspects of life itself, it can't all be "excitement excitement excitement" all the time, you need both peaks and troughs so that you appreciate it more when the peaks do come along.

Bunch of impatient kids, that's the problem ;) Savour it and make it last!

Alright, the filler arcs before Shippuuden were rather excessive I must admit. Didn't bother me too much as I've been watching them all back to back, but for those who've been waiting... what, 2 years? for the story to continue I understand your pain.

The only ones I don't like are the *really* silly ones, of which there have been two that I can think of (they both feature the "silliness crow"). Kakashi's Face being one of them... that was 30 minutes of constant "WTF?"

Also is it true that the "Returning the favour" arc (just before the timeskip) was filler? If so that was a very good bit of filler, I enjoyed that one, and it didn't feel like it - it felt like a perfectly legitimate part of the story.

29. kataimiko

I am just happy that the series is back to using canon manga material...(for the most part.) Some filler material every once in awhile is ok. So far, it has been worked in rather well. But I must admit, they are dragging this current story arc out reaaaaallly far. :sweatdrop

30. calimike

I expect fillers after Gaara Arc... [....] :nuts