1. img
    The KCC is hosting a Short Story Horror Contest!
    The deadline for entries is October 24th at 1am UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Are you an artist that loves One Piece ?
    Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    The deadline is on October 21th at 7:00 pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Come vote in the Alley Banner Contest - Mark VI!
    Deadline is on October 21th at 4:51pm EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Halloween!
    Deadline for entries: October 31st at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. img
    Come join the very first non-banner Café contest!
    The deadline is on October 23th at 9:47 AM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Research: Forum Skin Contest

Discussion in 'The Konoha Times' started by Majin Lu, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majin Lu Super Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    Hi, NF.

Research time: if we have a Forum Skin Contest, do you plan on participate? :hmm
    Do you think it is better to work with a partner?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Tags:
  2. Solace

I will definitely give it a try although I haven't made skins before

4. Majin Lu Super Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    And I forget to ask, do you think it is better to work with a partner?

5. Moritsune Retired Staff

Partners could work pretty well here, one focusing more on the gfx and the other on the coding.

6. Nataly

@Majin Lu As Moritsune mentioned, team work might be a better choice for making skins. The question is whether there are enough coders to join each team.

7. Majin Lu Super Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    Yeah. :hmm This is why I created this thread, we need to be sure there are enough members and a good format so a contest can happen.

I'm going to create a global notice for this, I'm only waiting some be removed because there are a lot of notices already. I also asked @Jackk to assist me with the technical stuff part.

8. Nataly

What do you think of the possibility of Jackk helping every team or participant out with their projects? Not a good idea? Too busy?

I asked Bonta about removing NF chan announcement yesterday, but he said it would be better to leave it there for a few days

9. Majin Lu Super Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    He is busy working on the current skins. So for now I asked him to assist me when replying stuff about some technical stuff I have no idea about. So because my lack of knowledge about skins, I'm not sure how much he can help the participants, only he can tell us. @Jackk

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Nataly

Maybe it will be easier and more helpful to have a quick coding instruction/run down on what participants need to know and do themselves

11. Jackk Advisor

the 'coding' part of a custom skin isn't super complicated imo, but it can be time consuming

it does help if you already have html/css knowledge (or at least some css)

the process can be basically using your web browser to inspect the html/css of the website, then finding classes and css that you can edit

edits can be done and tested through the browser inspector option and/or through using a browser add-on (which is what people used when making custom community skins for nf back in the vbulletin days)

i don't really feel like making a more detailed rundown or guide at this point because it'll take some time... and i rather spend whatever time i do have on the projects i'm currently working on and other stuff tbh

that said, i am open to help majin lu run the contest and answer some specific technical questions etc

if enough people that can do the gfx and coding/css for the skins do show up to participate, we could give the contest a try

but i seem to remember there wasn't a lot of participation last time a skins contest was attempted some years ago

i do feel it may be too soon for this, but i'm not closed to the idea

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  12. Jackk Advisor

also, doing a skins contest was something i had in my head for some time

but i had it in mind as my project #4

with project #3 being reviving the custom skins community

but majin kinda got ahead of me cause i'm still on project #1 lol

:krilldead

i get majin's just trying to do something cool now though, and i think she's pretty awesome with events

but yeah, i do have my doubts for this one tbh (maybe too soon)

i guess we'll see

13. Raiden Moderator

Hi Majin Lu,

I think Heero was making a TTGL skin a few years ago, and gave out partly because he was at it alone. Groups are probably better.

I sadly can't be of any help (still doing beginners courses for Python 3) but will cheer from the side.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  14. Steph

I dont think coding is a part of doing the skins since an admin will do that part anyway so im pretty sure all the rest of you have to do is mostly graphics but im not into doing that with a partner because im far to anal for that.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  15. Shroomsday Advisor

If I did it, I'd definitely go with a partner.

16. Moritsune Retired Staff

An admin has to upload the code if they decide to use it in the future, you can apply changes via browser add-ons or html coding to make it look the way you want though. The contest would require you to make the edits yourself though.

• List
  17. Steph

I will pass then. Not interested enough to do all that crap.

18. Moritsune Retired Staff

Yeah, that's one reason we're looking at allowing partners, allowing one person to make the edits to the code, and the other to make the graphics. Otherwise the graphics part is mostly just a banner and the section icons.

19. Steph

Well good luck to you guys.

20. Tendou Izumi

I think that's a great idea for a contest even if I don't know how to code. :catdespair

If a guide is provided though, people in the same position as me, who are interested but lack certain necessary skills, would have a better shot at signing in.

I also think this contest would be nice in pairs. I like teamwork. :catsalute

21. Uchiha Ojii-San

Flag:
    United States
    I wish I was better at graphics cause I wanted to help someone with graphics to be able to take part.

22. Black Otaku

Poorly planned contest/idea

23. Jackk Advisor

this thread and the notice for it is merely seeking to know if there'd be people with the skills/knowledge for this and interest at this point

and asking people for ideas for this

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • List
  24. Kiseki

The current skins are a bit erhm... been done before and sorry... kinda tacky. I used to design layouts for tumblrs and blogs, although I stopped doing that ages ago. Although I would love to see what people of this forum could come up with. Some of the avatar + signature sets look stylish as hell. I would personally keep the skins as minimalist as possible without getting too boring. When I design I would usually go for a set of max 3 or 4 colors and the middle ranged colors are usually related to the darkest or the lightest colors, but maybe one tint warmer or colder and somewhat different in hue.

25. Raiden Moderator

Tossing an idea out here- I wonder if making a thread open to the general community where people work on multiple things for skins is a good idea (example: "The Official Skin Project Thread(s) or the "Official Thread for the "X" Skin").

Gin making the new rep spirals come to mind. It was considered hard to do, but Gin regularly provided updates and got feedback. Maybe something similar could work here?

sorry for this is confusing. I wonder if it's a safe alternative to a contest.

26. Majin Lu Super Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    I'm not sure if a thread like that can work. Only skin makers can reply that.

27. Uchiha Ojii-San

Flag:
    United States
    Its looking like the best way to get this going is people doing it in teams. From the looks of things.

28. Raiden Moderator

I guess I meant something like a feedback and discussion thread, where people openly collaborated and members gave their recommendations/suggestions.

29. Uchiha Ojii-San

Flag:
    United States
    I agree with @Raiden. I got the program (Adobe) and I got the ideas for layouts. I just lack the ability and other things compared to some of the other graphic designers here. I'm very newbiesh to be honest.

30. NO

Here's a reply from an actual designer. A forum skin contest is a terrible idea for multiple reasons.

1. Staff can't be trusted. There was a logo contest for the forum where it was said the logo would be used and you guys did not use the winning logo in any capacity.

2. A forum skin is too daunting of a task to be put to "contest." The amount of time and effort required to make a skin is something that should be appreciated. This isn't some graphic design forum with an abundance of designers versed in CSS. You should be happy that one would even consider making a skin and a contest is already too greedy of a process when you have a limited number of designers.

3. All entering forum skins will (probably) be better, so why the fuck would you want an exclusion process like a contest? There are 10 skins on NF right now and 7 of them should straight up be removed due their low quality. Right off the top of my head, 3 designers I know on this forum could make better skins blindfolded. That's 4 of us that could potentially make 4 high quality, forum-ready skins. Which poses the obvious issue: losing will simply feel bad when all entering skins are better than the ones we currently have.

• List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.