1. Come enter in the KCC Pet Photo Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We are pleased to invite you to participate in the Naruto Battledome Banner Contest.

Dismiss Notice

Researcher’s suicide reflects bleak prospects for post-Ph.D. life

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by mr_shadow, May 11, 2019.

1. Virus neurotropic

I didn’t pursue PhD precisely because I observed the highly competetive environment where being intelligent and ambitious wasn’t enough.

Starting medical school has been the best choice. Now I can do research and always have a secure foundation as a clinician.

2. Worm Juice worms wurms werms

I don’t get this unhealthy obsession with degrees and PhD’s. If it was less important in society and the job market, only the people that truly love research would pursue PhD’s and there would be less of an overflow. Furthermore I think it’s really important to realize that when you go for a PhD, you have to prove that you are really on that high level when you go for job interviews. So happy I did not go down that road.

3. Baroxio Unlimited Strategy Works

Her research degree was in Buudhism. I don't know if that's one step above, or one step below a degree in English or some similar liberal arts degree. I feel sad for her, but I'm not going to extrapolate her suicide or even her lack of ability to find a job to all PhDs, especially PhDs in the science and engineering fields.

Course, I say this as a person finishing up his last semester as a PhD student in a Science & Engineering field. So...I guess I might be somewhat biased, here. :hm

This is like, straight up the Twilight Zone for me. You found the field of medical school to be a less highly competitive environment than a PhD? Seriously?

4. wibisana still newbie

I think Buddhism is comparable to Philosopy degree

5. Mael Well-Known Member

Both rather useless in the job markets.

6. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

I think when people go for a Doctorate in either field they aren't looking for just any old job, they are pretty set on using that degree where they can. They also probably aren't getting that degree if they didn't love their subject.

7. wibisana still newbie

U can write a book and be millionaire like Bernie.

I.e. "Be Happy with balance in Life and Work using Zen Buddhism Philosopy"

8. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

To cut down some of the strawmen on this issue, I think:

* Nobody (other than internet trolls) is suggesting that we completely get rid of Humanities programs. There's surely a place in the world for museum curators, librarians, and gender equality consultants.

* But we probably don't need as many librarians as we need doctors, or as many people fluent in Sanskrit as we need people fluent in C++.

* Probably something should be done to better match the supply of people with certain skills to the workplace demand for those skills. I.e. instead of 5 theologians and 5 engineers you produce 1 theologian and 9 engineers.

The debate should be about how to achieve this. Some people give the impression that they want universities to artificially limit the intake into popular but "useless" majors. Whereas I think it's better to give students better information about what their possible career prospects are, and then they are free to choose a "useless" major at their own risk if they still want to (maybe because their family is wealthy enough that they don't have to worry about money).

All that said, as an academic I think that more education is always good. Having a college degree in anything is always better than only a high school diploma, because the experience of higher education is character-forming. Statistics will show that people are less likely to commit crimes and more likely to live long, healthy lives the more education they have. Probably because education broadens your horizons and gives you more of a global, long-term perspective on your life choices.

9. wibisana still newbie

How? Caste system? Communism?

Uni in here open if there is demand by student and/or by market.

10. Saishin Hajimemashite

In a world more and more digital and technological the point is that scientific/tech jobs are the future,the request from the job market of computer scientists,specialized technicians,mechanics and similar is high,a person that have studied STEM/tech subjects find a job immediately,now tell me how many people with a philosophy degree have found a good job related to their studies?

That's why in some contries the respective ministries of education have started,reforming the school curricula or planning to boost up STEM subjects in the schools from the first grades,for example many people lack mathematics basis (we're not talking about high level mathematics but elementary mathematics) still today mathematics for many people is still considered a very difficult subject to study,there are people that find hard to work with the numbers that's why it is important that kids are taught very well STEM subjects.

Then of course I am of the opinion to follow your heart if your love lean to the classical faculties fine,go and and study them.

Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 3:31 AM
  11. Undertaker elect the dead

I wanted to do research. It was my high school goal. But then uni was a clusterfuck, I got sick of that theoretic shit and thought I would be a bad researcher without real life experience. Though continuing student life did look comfy. Also haven't met any professors interested in sharing their experience and passion. One of them actually laughed like "Dream on kiddo! You got nothing!" then gave excellent mark on my final paper and recommended me for further studies, so it was probably some communist level bureaucratic hazing supposed to form character. But fuck him.

Looking back I've really dodged a bullet there.