1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Resident Evil 4 (PS2)

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by ShadelessNyght, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ShadelessNyght Never Knows Best

So has anyone actually picked this copy/version of the game up yet? I won't be getting mine for a while, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me of new things other then it having wide screen. Like, how the new weapon is, is Ada's side story worth it, ect.

Tags:
  2. Nost Key Framer

yeah, Id like to know what the new stuff is, I've played the GameCube version, Its great, there is a bonus Ada mission you get once you've finished the game, Im guessing that the PS2 Ada side story is different though.

3. Hero kun Hero of Time

Anyone here a IGN insider? What did they say about the comparision?

4. Mongoloid Gnome Endless

Well, I own the game but i never played the Cube version. It looks amazing to me, the graphics are some of the best that the ps2 can offer.

Compare the ps2 with the GC graphics

Couldn't finish the game yet, since I'm playing other stuff and I never play two games at the same time (RE4 is on the top of the lis, though), I played for 4 hours or so and I wasn't scared at all... Till the night came, good lord, walking out there at night is fucking scary...
    The gameplay is good, but I can't really compare it with the GC, some friends (that own Game Cubes) told me that was like learning to play again when they came at my place, in other hand, some dude that owns a GC and a ps2 didn't had any hard time with it and said that he was more confortable with the ps2 controller.

The dudes also told me that the ps2 has less ammo than the Cube version (wich is good IMO).

Can't tell you about new weapons or the Ada extra mission though it's said that it takes around 5 hours to complete it.

Not sure if RE is survival horror anymore, since I didn't played any RE for quite a while after RE3, still is a great game and I think it's worth buying, even if you do own the GC version, since the extras are said to be worth of it.

5. Manji Yoshimitsu Exorcist

Survival horror it is :amuse!

And yeah, I 'd love to have the extra's, but I don't own a PS2 also :p

6. Kami-Sama The one with the Lesbian Avy.

already own the GC ver. but the extras are so tempting...but since it is not like me to buy a game twice...maybe a rental is in order.

7. Mongoloid Gnome Endless

BTW, if anyone is wondering about the loads (an important detail that I forgot to mention)... The loads are just fine, like 4 sec tops. Can't complain about it.
    Of course the GC has no loads (I believe so) and the graphics are much better, but if you're not impressed with what Capcom did with this game for ps2 (and even fits in a single normal DVD) you should get a grip of yourself and hit a wall with your head a few times. I still think this gen had at least a year+ worth of timelife *sighs*

8. Lord Itachi Uchiha God

i'm too scared to play these types of games haha

9. ShadelessNyght Never Knows Best

RE 4 isn't all that scary, lol. Thanks to the way they did the camera now it makes it alot less of a tension due to camera control. It is more of a mind playing tricks on you then anything.

10. Jef88 88

i loved Res4 on gube :amuse
    i wouldnt know about the ps2 version

11. Manji Yoshimitsu Exorcist

The GC version does have loads, but like a bit with Metroid, they're hidden in doors, so either you see a artwork of the door or something like that, or you see a movie in which its loaded. I think that with the PC they might have made a loading screen.

I'm quite impressed though... It seems the details have juts gone down, I heard the framerates just a tad slower, and that you have a bit more fog, and I think that won't bother anyone, cause you're more likely to see the zombies up-close, so :p

12. Nost Key Framer

i agree, as a fan of survival horror games (although RE4 is the first RE game Ive ever really gotten into) i found RE4 more 'action' than most horror games.
    Its still scary but you're more inclined to shoot than in alot of horror games.
    ShadelessNyght you're probly right about alot of this being due to the camera location.

Also one reason i really loved this games was because of how much fun it was to shoot the bad guys.

13. Manji Yoshimitsu Exorcist

True, its lots of action..., but play Hard-mode in the middle of the night, you'll sweat some :evil!

14. ShadelessNyght Never Knows Best

<_< -Been there, done hard mode, was almost fully the same.-

Can't wait to use the Plaga Remover, and get Leon in his "Pimp" Gear and Ashley in the suit of armor. >_< She can finally be useful and deflect attacks. -Points to banner for those that don't know he doesn't like ashley.-

15. Nost Key Framer

are these extra from the GameCube version? sweet, I might have to start playing again.

16. ShadelessNyght Never Knows Best

No, sadly, the GC version didn't get those. They are new things for PS2 only. PS2 got Wide Screen ability, Los Plaga Remover which is a laser beam, and new outfits for Ashley and Leon. They also gained everything else that was in GC. Oh and Ada's super side mission which goes through what she did while Leon was doing his stuff.

17. Nost Key Framer

so the Ada side mission in the PS2 version is different to the GC Ada's side?
    we should get a screen shot of the extra costumes in here.... Ive only ever seen the first set but there must be more and then there's the PS2 exclusive ones...
    Ashly in her 'cowgirl hoe' outfit is really funny.

edit: found them!!!!

thats ashly and leon in their alternates from the GC version,
    anyone able to get us pictures of the PS2 extras?

18. Trooper_Dave New Member

I picked it up on Friday and i'm about ten hours into it, i've found the "shooting range" and am now addicted to trying to win bottle caps!

Such a good game but it looks like it's going to be a long one to complete!

19. gameking8969 New Member

When I told my brother about a Ps2 version with the extras boy did he get pissed off, as for me I'm itching to what extra parts were cut out of the original version before GC version came and It may reveal more before RE5.

20. ShadelessNyght Never Knows Best

Alright, I brought back this thread to ask a question to those playing it. Now, I know the GC version and PS2 share their differences with more extra stuff, but at best in game is for the most the same until you bring in Ashley's Armor outfit (Which is a gift from god himself as Ashley takes NO DAMAGE what so ever, I put her against the bella sisters and neither could kill her, and she is so heavy in the armor the villagers drop her). But When I loaded up professional mode in hopes to unlock the los plaga remover, I came to a great surprise.

.....MY GOD THIS MODE IS HARD AS HELL.

I know what you may be thinking. It is professional mode, it is ment to be hard. But my god...I played the GC version on professional and beat it twice without having any of the weapons like the typewriter and infinite rocket launcher with no problem. I load in the PS2, and I'm dieing left and right. It took me 10 tries to kill the Village Cheif before I finally said screw it, bought a rocket launcher and shot him.

I just made it to the castle, and even now I can't make my approch through it all that well. The blind man in the prison killed me about 5 times because he does incredible damage now, and I just stopped a little bit after since he wouldn't stop dieing.

Am I the only one that believes this mode is extremely hard? Or do I need to work on somthing?

21. BringerofPlagues Chicken Chaser

22. Semiotic Sacrilege ...

RE4 is one of the best games ever made. Old thread is old however :confused

23. BringerofPlagues Chicken Chaser

I gotta agree on that, It radically changed the view on the RE games.

And yeah, I love reviving very old threads.

24. Semiotic Sacrilege ...

It has the best story(even with the cheesy parts), best setting, best gameplay(obviously), and best intensity. Yeah the game may not have had as much "horror" in the traditional sense, but the improved controls made for more intense situations such as the log cabin battle.

RE5 was a huge disappointment to me. It lacked the atmosphere of 4 and the emphasis on coop play ruined the single player experience. It's not possible to feel any intensity when a dumbass AI partner is blocking your camera the entire game. Not to mention the horrible story and lackluster setting. Hopefully the next game either goes back the the drawing board, or picks up where 4 left off.

I mean, everyone knows, Leon>Chris :wink

25. Jon Snow Well-Known Member

You have to excuse 5 for actually HAVING a storyline that relates to the previous RE. I fucking hate RE4 and its 'fanbase' of actionhorny assholes.

26. Semiotic Sacrilege ...

I wouldn't say it has a story just because it relates to anything. Relating to the original games doesn't mean it's automatically a good story. RE5 had an abysmal story. RE4's was far more interesting, coherent, and suspenseful. Since when does Leon not relate to the original games?

Nice generalization there, if only it made sense. RE4 has a lot of action in it, but it also has plenty of suspense, puzzles, and atmosphere that wasn't in RE5 at all. RE5 was nothing but an action game. No suspense. No atmosphere. The only reason RE4 has seemingly more action in it than the previous games was because it actually brought the controls into the 21st century. Better controls and faster zombies may seem like action to you. It seems like more suspense and more challenge to me. I'd rather take on 20 zombies that move quickly than 3 that move at a snails pace. The only reason those games has so much suspense is because the camera and controls blew asshole so you were constantly fighting the game to get it to do what you wanted.

I understand there is also going to a be a dedicated minority that MUST stick with there classic, outdated formulas, but that's just that. A minority. Almost no one will agree with you, and that's not a bad thing. It's just sad. I pity that you can't enjoy a game just because it doesn't meet you're "devotee" standards.

27. Shuntensatsu Fanboy Exterminator

RE4 is a great game, but seriously lacking in Wesker.

28. BringerofPlagues Chicken Chaser

RE5 gave us enough Wesker until next RE.

29. Wolfen Blitzer Lone Wolf Clan

30. masamune1 Crouching Tiger

Ada's side story had Wesker. And a much better one than than what RE5's devolved into.