• Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

    Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Rise of the Runelords

briaremma

Member
"...this doesn't seem like goblins," Sayuri says, solemnly, joining Father Zantus's unhappy staring at the empty coffin. "Even given my limited experience with goblins. And that robe's not exactly goblin-sized..."

She shakes her head, rubs at the back of her neck, feeling the hairs on it begin to stand up. "But Father Tobyn was just...he was a priest. What good would taking his bones do for anybody?"
 

WorkingMoogle

Well-Known Member
"The goblins behavior seems out of sort in general," Addo muses. "I'm not an expert, but I can't say I've ever heard of them attacking an area so greatly outnumbered. Not without something driving them to do so."
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Knowledge Local
Result: 1d20 (5) - 1 Total: 4
Knowledge Arcana:
Result: 1d20 (20) - 1 Total: 19

For a moment Rose thinks on if she has heard this name before, it does sound like something she might have heard, but it could just be because a lot of words in the human tongue sound alike, even after all of this time. The idea of bones in rituals is something that she has heard a bit about. Growing up around the amount of magic that some of her people got up to, you were bound to find someone who wanted to push the boundaries of what was taboo.

"Necromancy, some kind of desecration ritual, maybe a hex or curse..." Rose says. "Bones are very important--they're the part of a someone that even after year of being gone will still be left over. They're almost eternal, especially to the limited scope of shorter life races...even then, there are bones of my ancestors here from before the Starfall. Whatever Goblins or...Hobgoblins probably that took the bones are doing with them, we can bet the people of this town won't like it."

"I don't think I can leave this place now. Not like this."
 

briaremma

Member
"Safe bet," says Sayuri, person of the town, her gaze still stuck on the empty coffin, memories she repressed five solid years ago dancing behind her gaze. "Don't even know the details, and I already don't like it."

She frowns, sheathes her rapier, looks a little more closely at the robe they found. "Could we track them with this, do you think?"
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
"Safe bet," says Sayuri, person of the town, her gaze still stuck on the empty coffin, memories she repressed five solid years ago dancing behind her gaze. "Don't even know the details, and I already don't like it."

She frowns, sheathes her rapier, looks a little more closely at the robe they found. "Could we track them with this, do you think?"
Survival:
Result: 1d20 (2) + 5
Total: 7

"Maybe we could...but if the prints aren't distinct enough it could be hard. In here there's not many people walking around, but outside with the festival and all of the travelers, plus the regular movements of the townsfolk it would be very hard to get a sure path that we could follow," Rose says.

She glances up toward the door and then rises to her feet from where she is standing. "There's also a chance they came in with the festival goers and never left...if they're not a Goblin or Hobgoblin. They could still be here with the body waiting until people start to leave."

She knew a thing or two about avoiding detection, remaining hidden. "That's what I would do if I were them, at least."
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Zantus and Belor quietly listen to Rose and they nod slowly. Zantus is still a bit shaken but snaps out of it. "Yes, there's... there's a number of dark rituals that can be done, but I dare not even mention them out loud."

Belor crosses his arms with a frown. "Listen... I know this is asking a lot of you. Most of you are new to this town but... I think we might be a bit out of our depth here. I will send word to Magnimar, see if they can send some help, but it will take more than a few days at best," he takes a big breath, trying to steel his nerves. "It's still early but you left quite the impression. When my guards went to check on the rest of the town, everyone was asking about 'the heroes' of the square. You have technically become the heroes of Sandpoint and..." he sighs. "I think someone not only helped them here..." he says pointing at the larger tracks that seem to be leading the goblins.

"I immediately went to check on the guards that were supposed to have closed the North Gate. They swear it was closed before they left because of a brawl down the Fatman's Feedbag tavern. I fear someone in town helped letting the goblins in from the North Gate, the ones you killed."

"I still don't know where the other batch of goblins from the south managed to enter... but it might have been the same person letting them in."

"I don't want to start a panic, but I would really appreciate if you stay mostly in town and be visible. Mingle with the townsfolk. Let whoever is doing this know you are at a call if something was to happen... They might think twice before trying anything right away and give us enough time to get the assistance we need. I'll try to put word out for Shalelu... she's the current goblin expert. Hosk is too old now to go out there and his eye was maimed so I rather have him defending the town if needed be."

"I... I could talk with Mayor Deverin and ask her if she can come up with some payment for the services..." he tries to offer to sweeten the deal in case they are not very convinced.
 

briaremma

Member
Sayuri stares at Rose, and then stares harder when Sheriff Belor suggests the very same thing.

"Someone let the goblins in?" she repeats, shock turning rapidly to unfamiliar anger. "And you think they might just be still..."

A long moment where she tries a number of words in a number of languages, half formed, without sound, and then frowns. A rather fierce nod accompanies this change of expression, though the declaration is somewhat less sure: "Of course I'll...if I can....I'll help."
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
"When the time comes...we don't need the tracks through the festival...because if the North Gate was suddenly open, it's quite likely that's the route they took out of Sandpoint," Mirenia says. A silent fury has been slowly rising in her expression, mixed with slowly tightening frustration and apprehension. This is something like how it'd been in the past. The strange happenings, dark rituals, traitors from within the town...

"Payment won't be necessary," the woman says with a sigh. Why couldn't she turn away from this life? Perhaps because it never really stopped being. Not even in Sandpoint. "Perhaps Professor Quink or Headmaster Gandethus could offer assistance into the nature of this ritual?" she adds in, shooting a hesitant glance towards Father Zanthus.
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux, 1/2 Orc Cleric of Pharasma
Up to now silent with pent up rage, Gorrendux suddenly releases a ferocious growl: "UNDEAD!? Here? Ach, the foulness! And a traitor here helping such foulness!?" His fingers tighten on the long handle of his axe. "I will send them straight to the Boneyard myself. I believe Pharasma wants me here in Sandpoint, to defend against this... this... foulness!" Reaching the limits of his vocabulary in his anger, he turns and curses in Orcish. He seems entirely unaware of the small nick the walker inflicted upon his arm, still oozing blood.

Next, the Half-Orc starts trying to clean up this small tomb. He will do his best to replace the skeletons in their coffins and try to cleanse this place of ... foulness, whispering prayers to Pharasma as he works.

(Meanwhile, although Gorrendux did a double-take when he noticed Sayuri shapeshift, he keeps his lips sealed ... for now.)
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The skeletons were created with the Robe of Bones so they technically do not belong anywhere here. Finding a place for them outside will likely work with Zantus' help.

Zantus will additionally see to the vigil of the families and find a nice sunny place to bury Rose's urn.

Belor asks to keep this incident quiet for the moment to avoid panic in town, or at least take care of who you reveal this to. While Zantus is aware lf the existence of desecrating rituals, he hasn't never really researched into them.


You can certainly try with Prof. Quink or Mr. Gandethus.

Sayuri and Mirenia would know Gadenthus might be busy on the school at this time. It's Moonday morning afterall, but after yesterday's incident maybe they closed for the day?
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux, 1/2 Orc Cleric of Pharasma
"You are wise," Gorrendux responds to Sheriff Belor's suggestion to keep this undead attack quiet. Realizing these bones don't belong in this particular tomb, Gorrendux will bury them elsewhere with Zantus's aid.

"Let's find this Professor Quink," Gorrendux suggests. He asks for directions on how best to find the professor, and starts walking that way.
 

briaremma

Member
"Professor Quink lives near the old tower he's writing a book about," Sayuri says, in a spill of information, happy to have something useful to contribute. "He's kind of a wizard, but not really. He knows some good tricks, though."

She doesn't mention her own attempts to learn said tricks; those may simply be implied by any with good sense.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Sayuri leads the group to Professor Quink's little cabin by the Old Light.

His house is old, one of the oldest buildings in Sandpoint, that as far as Sayuri knows, he's been renting for the last couple of years. He claimed he wanted to be as close as possible to the ruined tower to study it... but so far Prof. Gandethus claims Quink's discoveries are speculations at most.

When you arrive, you see the balding scholar writing on a journal on a small table full of books on the deck of his porch. A cat lazily sleeps as his lap. He sends you a curious glance as you arrive and closes his notes.

"Morning Sayuri. Coming for a history lesson or showing around tourist? I would love to help explain the intricacies of the ruins and- Oh wait..." he does a double take at the group, narrowing his eyes as they get closer. "Ah! You were the ones who fought the goblins off at the square. I'm in the presence of heroes! I see, I see! Ah-..." he attempts to get up but remembers the cat is still sleeping at his slap. "Apologies. I loathe to interrupt my assistant's deserved naps."
 
Last edited:

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Mirenia negotiates her hair into a strict bun on the way over by way of sturdy hair pins. She waves to Professor Quink as they approach his porch, smiling faintly. She had often swung by to discuss matters of ancient civilizations with the man, having a natural interest in them herself. "Good morning, Professor," she greets. "Sorry to ambush you with so many folks this early. Can I introduce you?" She turns to the group. "This is Professor Quink, local expert on all things Thassilonian. Professor, this is Gorrendux Tallowscar, devotee of Pharasma and avid axe adept, Merillë, experienced goblin hunter and expert shot, Mr. Addo, patient celebrant and sturdy shield of Iomedae, and Mr. Sendo, courageous woodcutter and cutter of other materials as needed." She pauses a beat. "And Sayuri, defender of Sandpoint, local expert, and cunning fencer, though I'm sure you're familiar."
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Prof. Quink chuckles. "Honored to make your acquaintance," he bows his head a bit. He looks at the other seat on the table. "Uh, I don't think I have enough chairs. But what can I help you with? A group of adventurers like yourselves are surely looking for lost treasures..." he gives them a complicit smile.
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux, 1/2 Orc Cleric of Pharasma
As the party approaches the home of Prof. Quink, Gorrendux keeps looking upward at the Old Light. Tripping on loose rocks and roots as he walks, he seems enamored of the ruined tower.

When Mirenia introduces Gorrendux to the older Human, the Half-Orc smiles when he realizes the Human Bard has remembered his name. He thanks Mirenia for the introduction, and offers his hand to the bald professor.

"I've been very interested in seeing this ruined structure, the Old Light, for quite some time. I read about it in an old book, but the book did little to convey the size and majesty of this tower. Please, do you perhaps have time to tell us about the Old Light?" Gorrendux asks, his eyes flitting between Professor Quink and the tall walls of the tower.
 
Last edited:

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
"But of course I can!" He shakes his hand effusively in excitement. The cat wakes up with an annoyed mreow. He seems to recognize the tone of he old man will get loud so he steps down and goes to the opposite side of the deck to catch some sun.

"You came to the right person! I would have you know... I have spent the last years analyzing the ruin. But even before that, I studied the ancient structures of the fine Dwarves of Janderhoff for 20 years and then I acted as chief cataloger of the Founder's Archive in Magnimar for 30 years. So yes, you have quite the experience."

"The tower is Thassilonic in origin, obviously, like most of the structures in the region," he moves to his Gorrendux's side, sharing a similar enthralled look at the ancient rocks. "Most believe the construction took place some 7,000 years ago, hah, the fools!" He laughs. "No, no. This... THIS. This is at least, AT LEAST, ten thousand years old. Do you see the stratum at the base? It's clear as day!" He points at some dirt at the edge of the cliff. "The snobs at the Academy would have you believe that it was likely a Light House, but the strata is evidence that this area was not as close to the coast as it is now. My hypothesis, is that this tower was in fact... A WEAPON. Yes, a huge weapon, capable of spewing lethal rays that could reach miles away!"
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux, 1/2 Orc Cleric of Pharasma
Smiling from green ear to green ear, Gorrendux nods along to Professor Quink's impromptu seminar. The Half-Orc Cleric leans back and looks up, trying to include as much of the ruined tower in his field of vision as possible. "It's hard to imagine anything seven thousand years old, let alone ten thousand. But I see what you mean, it's positively ancient, and you clearly have studied it thoroughly. Amazing! But a weapon you say? Why do you think it was a weapon?" Looking up at the edifice, Gorrendux adds, "I see that this structure is tall, but not really tall enough to shoot catapults or ballistae thousands of miles could it? And wouldn't the ancients want a more movable weapon?"
 
Last edited:

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Quink grins widely noticing his honest interest. "Oh, I believe it threw rays of raw magic energy, like the breath of a dragon, but as long as a mile..." he says proud of his research. "I have noticed scorching on some of the rocks that are likely from the top of the tower. And I have seen the same scorching on rocks a mile or two out from here."

When asked why would they make such weapon, he chuckles. "Ah, well, you see... From extensive study I have discovered this particular area of Varisia used to be the border of an ancient warring kingdom called Bakrakhan. One of the seven kingdoms of Thassilon. It seems that even as part of a single mighty magical Empire, their fearsome leaders would try to topple one another. The closest translation of their title is Runelord. There are no surviving texts from the time, sadly, so insights of their time are lost. The whole region of Varisia and further west was leveled during the Earthfall so not much survived and the elves refuse to share the ancient text of the time... No offense," he quickly adds, noticing Sendo and Merielle/Rose are elves too. "We can only study what we can decipher from the faded inscriptions of this and other ruins... far from complete..." he trails off and looks at the party with a complicit smirk. "If a group of adventurers were to... say... explore other Thassilonic ruins and bring me a copy of any inscriptions or better yet, paper impressions of them, I would pay handsomely."
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Mirenia listens with familiar and avid interest, canting her head slightly before something about what the professor's said catches her attention. "...oh!" She turns immediately, waving to the others. "There's something I want to check on, real quick! Don't mind me, I'll be back in a short while!" the normally demure bard assures them spiritedly.

Doubling back to the cathedral, she bows to it and offers a quick warding prayer in Varisian before backtracking to the Desna shrine. Looking around, she tries to locate the script in Thassilonian she couldn't read before...and attempts to cast Read Magic on what remains of it.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Mirenia doesn't get any response from the spell. The text is either too incomplete to function as such, or simply not magical in nature. It certainly fits the explanation given by Quink. Just the start of some words, the ends of another. You can't form a single line from all of it. It would seem the scholars back in the Archive in Magnimar might have more of a complete collection of examples of writing, just enough to barely have developed a meager translation guide which is likely the one used by most Thassilonic enthusiast like her.
 
Last edited:

Ronnam

Gorrendux, 1/2 Orc Cleric of Pharasma
Focused on the professor's lesson, Gorrendux pays close attention and nods along, not registering that Mirenia has jogged back into town. Gorrendux pulls out his scrollcase, and fishes out his quill and a blank piece of parchment. Pressing the quill to his green lips, he dips it in his little vial of ink and takes a few notes. He clarifies with Professor Quink how to spell these unusual words such as "Bakrakhan" and other Thassilonian terms. "I would be more than happy to make impressions and try to sketch whatever I might find, but do you really think people can just find Thassilonian ruins so easily? Didn't Earthfall bury everything?"
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
"A good chunk of it in this side of Varisia, yes. There are said to be countless sites yet to be mapped and explored, just waiting to be discovered! Especially up in the Cinderlands and the Kodar Mountains... but such places are far from forgiving for scholars like myself," he mumbles in disappointment and adjusts his glasses. "Entire groups have disappeared looking for treasure following the legends... but I wouldn't ask you to go to such dangerous place... A complete text or markings from the ruins you find around here are a prize enough. Knowledge is knowledge, after all."
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux, 1/2 Orc Cleric of Pharasma
Fascinated by the professor's stories of ancient Thassilon, Gorrendux graciously thanks Professor Quink for the information. He asks the professor some follow-up questions and shows true interest in the topic. He will also ask Professor Quink for a few extra sheets of parchment or paper, for the rubbings. "Did you have directions to any such place, a site of ancient ruins where ancient writings might exist nearby?"

Eventually, Gorrendux will mention to the old-timer how he once dreamt of the Old Light, and grew concerned that it was being troubled by strange-looking ghouls. "I consider myself something of a ghoul-hunter. But the ones I dreamt of, were not normal. Tell me, have there been such foul undead about these parts, or somehow connected to this ruined old tower?"
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Mirenia's brow knits together as she snaps her fingers and laughs to herself. "Was worth a try," she mutters to herself, taking a step back to inspect the stones. Hadn't a group of architects from Magnimar been responsible for this construction? Perhaps more leads could be found there indeed. She'd have to ask Father Zantus if he knew of the name of the group later on.

A little while later the Varisian approaches the Professor's home at the base of the Old Light, looking a little less eager.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The old church and this cathedral were built around the standing stones without touching them as per the deal with the Varisian folk that allowed the town to be founded. They have been here for as long as the Old Light, it would seem.

Prof. Quink does a double take. "Ghouls? Dreams? Mmh... well... I'm no expert when it comes to the undead but..." he crosses his arms thoughtful. "I believe I heard someone say there were some ghouls up the coast... on the Pauper's Grave. It's an area close to the beach were people would bury their death while the town was still constructed and for people who didn't belong to any of the local gods, but it's been abandoned for some time in favor of the current graveyard."
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
While Gorrendux and the others are talking to Prof. Quink about the history of the Old Light, Addo feels a gentle pat on his shoulder. He turns around to see an attractive young woman smiling at him. She's perhaps Sayuri's age at most?

"Oh, good morning," she says in a low voice so not to interrupt the old man talking everyone's ears off. "You are one of the brave heroes from yesterday, right? I was hoping someone like you could help me out with a little problem we have at the store. Why, just yesterday, I'm sure I saw some big rats hiding behind a barrel at the far end of the basement. My father doesn't believe me and he's too busy with my sister's escapades to give it a second thought... so I assumed maybe someone like you could assist me get rid of them," her lips turn up into a mischievous smirk.

@EvilMoogle
 

WorkingMoogle

Well-Known Member
Addo gives the young woman a polite, and somewhat fatherly smile. "It might be that we will be able to help, can you tell me a little more about what happened?" His voice is kind and polite, but while he speaks he takes a careful measure of the woman. (Sense Motive 18+7=25)

After a moment he adds with sympathy, "your father is often busy, is he? I'll admit I can understand, I had seven young ones to keep track of at one point after all." There's a touch of wistfulness to his voice, clearly in memory, "but that it is difficult does little to ease the pain that is felt." He considers a moment then nods, "I will help you, but I think it is proper to get your father's permission, before entering his store. Might we take a moment to introduce me before we go?"

He looks to the others considering a moment, but will see how this plays out before pulling them into the discussion.
 
Last edited:

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
"Oh, just some rats. I'm sure one hero like yourself is enough, no need to bother the others with such a small thing. Especially as they seem so busy with...erh... the old man," she assures him. "My name is Shayliss by the way, and yours?" She tries to change smoothly change subject with a pleasant smile, brushing off her hair.

Addo can tell clearly that she is quite interested on getting him into a more private setting, and at the mention of her father not listening to her, he has a good hunch this is some sort of way to get back at him. He also realizes that Shayliss has set her mind to her little petty revenge, and she's the kind that doesn't take well to be slighted or rebuked. He would have to choose his words carefully if he wishes to turn her down gently and actually convince her to cease.
 

WorkingMoogle

Well-Known Member
"Addo Venatinus," the war priest says politely. "And by Iomedae's grace I will help those who ask it," his voice maintains a calm and even tone though if she is particularly observant there might be a hint of sadness to it. "If you wish it I will help solve your problem. Are you sure that is what you want?"

Addo, for his part, is not as oblivious as others might think. Solving her problem and doing what she wants are not necessarily, or even frequently, the same thing.
 
Top Bottom