1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Road Trips

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Jun 19, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

Movie and television series often portray road trips as amazing experiences that provide the people embarking upon them with great memories and interesting encounters that may also provide to be learning experiences. In fact, I believe that it would not be too great of an exaggeration to say that the media has made out road trips to be an American pastime, a rite-of-passage for individuals in their teens and twenties.

Unfortunately, reality may not always agree with fiction, because, as much as I do not like to admit it, I have never yet been on a road trip, at this point in my life. To be more specific, I have never been on a multi-day journey to multiple destinations far from my home with friends accompanying me. To be fair, I have driven to locations in Connecticut, Rhode Island, the far north of Massachusetts, and New Hampshire, but those were all one or two hour journeys at most, and were incredibly tedious, because they comprised of driving to a single location for a single purpose and then returning home, with myself as the only passenger; my idea of a road trip is driving to multiple locations for multiple purposes, with each expedition being short in duration, and, of course, a vehicle full of my friends with whom to share the experience.

Actually, for the thirtieth birthday, my brother and I drove to two locations in Massachusetts and one in New Hampshire, and our cousin and his partner joined us for part of the journey, so that was a miniature road trip, in a sense. Also, my brother’s bachelor party in August will be in upstate New York, which I shall reach via a four-hour-long drive by car, passing from Massachusetts, through New Hampshire, then Vermont, and finally into New York. I really hope that one or more of my brother’s other groomsmen shall carpool with me, because the tedium if being alone in my car for a duration such as that will be absolutely unbearable, and I also shall need to stop approximately every hour to stretch, eat, use the restroom, and so forth, but it will not be a true road trip, in my mind, because I will be traveling to one destination for one purpose, rather than multiple destinations for multiple purposes. One of my cousins, who lives in Ohio, shall be married in December, and my parents, brother, and myself shall drive there, a trip that may take as much as ten hours, which makes me believe that it would be better for us to take an airplane; I am not certain if that shall qualify as a road trip, either, for the same reason that I mentioned, before.

My parents have said that road trips were most popular during the 70’s and 80’s (not coincidentally, some of the best-known movies featuring road trips were made in those decades), because people could more easily afford to embark upon them, then. Today, fewer people can afford to take time off from work to embark upon a road trip for a week or more, and that is unfortunately the reason for which I have not done so; I cannot afford to take sufficient time off from work to go out driving in my car for several consecutive days.

Of course, I certainly do not feel as if my life is incomplete or unfulfilled because I have not embarked upon a road trip, as romanticized by countless teen comedy movies, but it still would be nice if I could do so at least once in my life.

What does everyone else say about this? Have you ever embarked upon a road trip? What can you say about them? Are they as great as the media portrays them to be? What advice can you offer for someone who wishes to embark upon such a trip?

Tags:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. savior2005 Well-Known Member

What does everyone else say about this? Nothing much really

Have you ever embarked upon a road trip? Nope

What can you say about them? Nothing

Are they as great as the media portrays them to be? IDK

What advice can you offer for someone who wishes to embark upon such a trip? No Advice

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Mider T VM Rapist

I fucking love road trips!!! Next to airports, I've made the most random and surprisingly long-last friendships on road trips. I try to do them as often as I can. One of my goals is eventually to do one hitting all of the Lower 48, at least half of Canada's provinces, and probably ending in Alaska. I've read many blogs of people doing similar stuff.

4. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

If that is all that you have to say on this subject, why did you even bother to post in this thread?

5. savior2005 Well-Known Member

Well, one of your questions was "Have you ever embarked upon a road trip?", and I based all my answers on that question.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. MO Well-Known Member

7. baconbits SSL or nothing Super Moderator

If you have a lot of friends with good senses of humor road trips are a blast. Road trips with two toddlers in the backseat? You're rolling the dice. Just driving on your own is usually lame unless the scenery is great or you just really love driving.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Island In the Sun

United States
    New England is great because of how close everything is. You can take a day trip to Rhode Island and be home in time for dinner if you live in Connecticut or Massachusetts, for example. I did that last year when my parents came to visit. We took a day-trip to Providence, which ended up being slightly underwhelming but fun nonetheless.

I also did a trip last year where we stayed in Boston for a night and then traveled north to Portland, Maine for a couple days. It was gucci.

My longest trip recently was to Montreal last year. We stopped in a college town just north of Springfield that has my favorite brunch place ever, visited a couple semi-famous breweries in Vermont, stayed in Burlington for the night, and then spent a couple days in Montreal.

Road trips are best when you can take your time, imo. It's nice to be able to stop in some random city to relax before hitting the road again.

9. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Mexico
    I've taken long drives with friends, but never a road trip. I can imagine how fun they might be.

In December, we're doing a 2 day road trip from Seattle to Anaheim, with around 14 people. Should be fun.

10. Shrike Let's Baby

I love road trips. I love driving, too, so even when I drive from one town to another for 2-3 hours by myself I hardly find it boring. And stopping every hour, really?

Road trips were always a blast for me, and I agree with the banana that I have made lots of friends like that.Like everyone though, I wish I had more time to travel (and the older I get, the less time I have and it's a lot harder to organize with friends because they are also busy). But I use every chance I get.

11. Mider T VM Rapist

12. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Mexico
    Even better, we're Mexican.

Nah, it'll be a caravan.

13. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi I've felt worse

Depends on who you’re with

I’ve never been on a road trip with friends who weren’t just family friends(well unless you count school field trips) so they’re just meh afaic

14. John Wick I'd like a dinner reservation for twelve.

England
    Last roadtrip I had was a convoy to amsterdam.

taking my new car to the nurburgring later this year to destroy the ring.

15. Eros banned

United States
    Catdank Faction:
    I haven't been on a proper road trip in quite some time. But I've been on road trips to other parts of Missouri, to Texas and back, to Nebraska and back, and also to Colorado and back. I've always enjoyed a good road trip. I've also been on parts of the famed Route 66.

16. Atlantic Storm Booze Intermission Administrator

Road trips are great fun. They're stressful to coordinate sometimes, because you'll inevitably reach a point where you and your friends have a divergence in interests, but I think that adds to the experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. aww <3 fuck u <3333 If they invade my territory, I will expel them, by any means necessary

took a road trip to new orleans without my mom knowing when I was 17 and it was pretty great except I hit a bus and had to lie about it

18. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

Is New Orleans far from where you live? Please do not reveal where you actually live, only if New Orleans is close to or far from it.

19. selfconcile Member

I personally hate being in a car for more than an hour for various reasons, so can't really imagine myself going on a road trip.

My cousin from Europe likes to backpack to various places (particularly exotic ones), and though I'm sure at least part of his travels are spent in a car, it isn't a road trip per se. He also prefers to meet people at his destinations, particularly other travelers.

I can't comment for sure since I'm not in the US or Europe, but I figure that, even though you can get around to a lot of different countries by car in the EU, backpacking is a) more popular there than in the States, and it is b) more popular than road trips because c) gas is pretty expensive there :headscrat maybe?

20. Mider T VM Rapist

What if he wants to reveal where he lives or lived?

21. aww <3 fuck u <3333 If they invade my territory, I will expel them, by any means necessary

it was like a twelve hour drive and my friend and I drove there friday afternoon and came back sunday night also this was like a month before katrina hit or something close like that

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  22. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

If he does, that is his choice, but I hope that has the wisdom to realize that doing so may not be beneficial for him.

I am very glad that you were not in the city when the hurricane struck, as that would have been disastrous; I remember that I was in Boston no more than two days before the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013, and was very glad that I had not decided to go to Boston two days later.

23. Island In the Sun

United States
    In what way?

24. Eros banned

United States
    Catdank Faction:
    I've been thinking about how it's time to go out to California. Who wants to go with me?

25. Shrike Let's Baby

Oh man, driving through all of Cali would be great. The only thing I am jealous of you murricans is having such vast roads and so many states to visit with no real borders. I love driving to death, so that would be awesome.

26. Eros banned

United States
    Catdank Faction:
    I just wish we had high speed trains and that we actually didn't have borders in all honesty.

27. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

If he reveals his place of residence, someone may break into his house and kill him, or at least stalk him wherever he goes.

28. Island In the Sun

United States
    oh

29. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

Surely, you considered that idea before I mentioned it?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  30. Benedict Cumberzatch Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon

Flag:
    Denmark
    If someone walks down the stairs, he may slip, fall, and die.

If someone crosses the road, a drunk driver may run a red light and hit him.

If someone eats a bowl of noodles, he may slurp one too quickly, choke, and die.

If... may... kill...