1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Rock Lee, the perfect character to die?

Discussion in 'Naruto Theories' started by Teren_Kanan, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Teren_Kanan Hitokiri no Teren, Missing Nin

If you're the type who doesn't like any MAIN character to die in a story, then this probably isn't the thread for you. Keep in mind by main I mean people who get a lot of spotlight and story. Like Naruto/Kakashi/Lee/Neji/Sakura/Sasuke etc, not someone like Chouji/Ino. I prefer stories where a main character dies, it adds depth, excitment, drama, suspence, and brings several emotions into the story.

I was thinking, if a character was to be killed, who would it be? I tried to think which death would add the most to the storyline, as well as which would make sense.

Now Naruto isn't really the type of anime where the REAL main character dies (Naruto himself), so I don't see that happening. I also feel one promise Naruto will keep will be his promise to bring Sasuke back in the end. I also don't feel Sakura's death would add much to the storyline, unless they use it as a reason to make Naruto/Sasuke go berserk, which still wouldn't be that great of a plot device.

So I find myself looking at characters like Kakashi, Neji, Lee, and Jiraiya. I first thought about Jiraiya. What purpose/plot device would be gained by Jiraiya's death? How would it add to the storyline? How would it add to his character? We've already had one extremely powerful "Old man" character sacrafice himself to save everyone (Sandaime) so Jiraiya doing it would seem redundant. So I crossed him out.

Next I thought about Neji. I asked myself the same questions, and came up with the same conclusion as I did with Jiraiya. I don't really see anything great being added to the overall storyline, or the character himself. He's already had a "Death" scene. He's been saved from the "Darkness" as he put it, and has already redeemed himself. He has also proven without a doubt he is a true genius of incredible talent with nothing left to prove. So I crossed Neji out.

Now I had Lee and Kakashi left. My mind instantly went to Kakashi. Who better? He has a lot of backstory that hasn't fully been fleshed out yet. He is also filled with regrets and is left to prove that he will not repeat the mistakes of his past.

I pondered it for a while until I thought about Kakashi's father. I thought to myself, not only would Kakashi have to prove he wouldn't repeat past mistakes, but he'd also more than likely have to outshine his father in some way (not nessicarily become stronger). But with his father commiting suicide, to have Kakashi sacrafice himself on some mission to save his friends, would also feel a bit redundant. I don't see it having a huge impact on his character, and he'd have a lot to prove before getting to that point. So while I feel Kakashi has a lot to prove, I don't think death would be the best way to improve his character or the storyline.

Then there was Lee. Not the adorable Lee, kick ass Taijutsu user?! Certainly he can't die, I love him too much! Much to my dismay, after thinking about it for a while, I decided he was the perfect choice. It has even been foreshadowed a little bit with the mention of the 8 gates, and death upon opening the 8th.

He also has a lot left to prove, he hasn't won a single serious fight since he was introduced. His goal is to prove he can become a great ninja, even without Gen/Ninjutsu, a goal he has yet to achieve. He also desires to be strong enough to protect those he cares for.

What better way for him to die? Fulfilling his goal and dreams in blazing glory, opening all 8 gates to protect those he cares about (Possible some Akatsuki member)and proving to all he is indeed and great Ninja. It would be such an emotional moment in the story, and make Lee complete. As much as I'd be happy NEVER seeing Lee die, I see no better choice, provided someone will die eventually.

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone thing there's a better choice?

Tags:
  2. ocsicnarf Q('.'Q) Honda-Tech.com

dood go take a chill pill...

3. PinkyMcCoversong The Rainbow On Speed

i agree that having a main character die adds depth to the story, but i don't think that lee has been given enough depth in order for this to happen. i honestly think that either neji or hinata's death would add depth, since the surviving cousin would be left with the burden of the other, the complex emotions between them never having been resolved.

4. road_rash martial artist

ugh, it's so annoying!! Rock Lee is so friggin strong, yet he hasn't won any real fight! Damn you Kishimoto for constantly putting him up against so many friggin strong/taijutsu resistant opponents! Lets see him in action against somebody who can actually be effected by tajutsu, so we can finally see him win after pwning. He CAN'T die till he pwns at least 3 people, and that's final!

5. PinkyMcCoversong The Rainbow On Speed

AGREED! :D

6. Sess 殺生丸

That's interesting. I agree that would be very dramatic. Finally proving to everyone that he can become great using only Taijutsu is his dream. So if he were to prove that by using all 8 gates to do something amazing and turn the tides in some pivotal battle would certainly be proof. And in dong so, he would have fulfilled his life's dream, leaving him, as far as the story is concerned, no purpose. The perfect time for him to die.

As for Hinata, shut up! Don't even say that! lol
    She hasn't had the chance to do much of anything. She tried and failed once, in a way. Depends on how you think about it. She challenged herself to change, and just doing that is a change in itself. But has she become strong? I want to see her now. I want to see her 2 years later in the story. At this point, we have no idea what she's been up to. Maybe in light of everything that happened, she went off to do some intensive training and stuff like that.

So again, she can't die! Shame on you for suggesting such a thing! :mad :p

7. Inuyashamish The White Ninja Haru

how dare u make a thread to voice your opinion about killing off the best character in the show. i dont think hes a good choice to die, IMO someone like shino or someone should die. there has to be the one underdog character in any good anime, who is limited in his abilities, but can still kick ass. :leepose :leepose :leepose

8. Potentialflip One Last Stand

Rock Lee dying at this point of the story makes sense?! I do not see your point. If I were to pick one this instant. It would be Gai-Sensai if it were to be anybody. While he has not much of the spotlight it is almost to a point where Rock Lee has surpassed Gai in training. And simply Gai's purpose was for Rock Lee to grow and surpass him in training which I believe has happened or close to happening.

Naruto may die who knows but I know he is not the perfect character to die in this part of the storyline it will just make a lot of plotholes.
    Kakashi still has some purpose in the storyline. Being the leader now to Team 7 and make it a three man team without Sasuke. It will be pointless if it were to be only Naruto and Sakura. So the time I think Kakashi will die will be near the end of the series.
    Neji has almost just died. I would actually think he was the right person to die at this point but he was just brought back to life now we really are going to see him die?! It would almost be like Gaara's situation.
    Sakura of course still has an important role and no point in killing her off.
    Sasuke as well. I mean all the Uchitards would get really upset if I put in here he was the perfect character to die. But I truly believe he is not. He has some purpose.
    Jiraiya I think is somewhat perfect. He has trained Naruto the Rasengan and spent approximatly 2.5 years. What is left for Jiraiya to do in the series besides die in battle?!

9. PinkyMcCoversong The Rainbow On Speed

i really really really like hinata, too! and neji! and all of the characters, really! but the point of killing off a popular character, that the person that started this thread was making, shows a certain commitment of the writer to the plot and not necessarily the whims of the fanboys/girls. as far as what could come of the plot if hinata or neji were to die, well, i just think that would be interesting.

hell, i'm still pissed that haku died :p

10. tmmyc on a Forums Break

Yes, kill the guy off.

11. ruffgoat I don't want a custom title

Well rock and gai are too similar and hence when they fight it would be kind of boring (at least for me) but I think it would be downright mean to kill off lee. I mean he always gets his ass kicked, he should really win one fight before he dies or something. If i had to pick people to die i think gaara and gai would be good choices. Gaara because we know his whole story and one reason why he would have died would be that he did so in protecting his village which is a big deal for him or I can imagine him surviving but with no more powers. Gai though i can see as a great character to die. For one he is close to kakashi so that would be another friend down the drain for kakashi and another thing it would make lee the only person with that style of fighting and he can also train harder and have more emotions when he fights give him more of a reason to keep fighting etc..

12. JayG Konoha's Beautiful Green Beast

I doubt it would be Lee.

1. He was already crippled by Gaara.

2. In order to become a ninja again, he underwent a surgery that could have killed him.

So technically, he falls under the same category as Neji and Chouji...characters who they could have left alone (Neji and Chouji dead, Lee either crippled non-ninja, or death via surgery).

13. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

I think though that he may end up beating a super strong guy and itd be something like, now finally in his glourious victory he could not be saved but because he finally surpassed the unthinkable his sould will be able to rest.

14. mgrace Guess Who's Back?!?!?!

Lee.... will not die....... he will never give up

15. NaraShikamaru geegeegeegee-dragon. >:|

Nah rock lee cant die yet...It seems to early for him... He still needs to fight a couple of more people IMO

16. Shadow of the Lotus New Member

Teren_karan brought up the point of Lee's death being foreshadowed by the entire 8 gates stuff. Who says that necessarily foreshadows Lee's death though? Gai and Lee can both open up the gates, and its possible that it was build up as a Lee death when Gai really dies. Lee is my favorites character, and I would hate to see him leave. I'm sure any Lee fan has the same sort of love towards Gai, just as I do. However, Gai does seem like a choice for death if a death had to happen. The foreshadowing of the 8 gates, as well as his closeness to Kakashi make him a midly likely candidate. What I think would be difficult though is what would happen to his team. Who would become the new leader? Neji maybe? Lee? Maybe even Tenten, though I doubt that. Neji and Lee could fight off to see who the new leader is at some point, and maybe Lee can finally shine and beat his biggest foe. Neji could win but show his better nature now that he's been "redeemed" (I still don't like Neji). Any thoughts?

17. m3lk0r Believe

Aye, killing off Lee at this point is like killing of a bud about to reach its SPRING TIME OF YOUTH!!!!! YOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!! *cough* ahem..... so there. Seriously though, I think its quite obvious that Lee has quite a lot left to show us. The foreshadowing you mentioned is exactly the reason he wont be bumped of soon. IMO we'll get to see Lee work like crazy (as usual...) and open more of the gates one by one, and achieve more hellish-powers. But I agree that he WILL kick the bucket sometime, but not anytime soon.

18. tmmyc on a Forums Break

Knowing Lee, he will probably try to Ura Renge his own clone and will get killed by the double-edged sword.

19. Odin 117 Awaiting Ragnar?k

sadly i must agree. Of all characters, Lee dieing would have a huge impact. I know i would cry if they do it well. I would be so sad to see him go, but so proud that he was able to become a great ninja

20. preqrhok7v Banned

I think that killing gaara(I'm a fan of his) would add more, giving the akatsuki more credit, giving naruto a passion to fight and stuff. Lee dying is just... "oh, I used 8 gates, in no way does this really affect anyone, since I killed my enemy using the gates." We are in the Akatsuki arc, akatsuki steals youmas. Lee dying anytime soon does not fit in, and Gaara should die, cause it will drive naruto forward, and I'm tired of kishimoto doing the "you thought they died, but HAHA(!!!) they didn't" with everyone(SasukeVSHaku, ChoujiVSretard, NejiVSgoldenshower/spider/whatever he was)

21. krzyvietboi2k5 Why am i surrounded by idiots?

I dont think so, Rock Lee means to much to the people. It shows kishimotos passionate side and to teach kids everywhere you can accomplish things without the need to be special such as using ninjitsu and gentisu

22. ~My?tic~ BOOM! HEADSHOT

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Lee died, although I would be very disappointed. Imo Lee's fights are the most entertaining apart from a few of Naruto's, and it would be a great shame to see him die.

23. road_rash martial artist

ok, tmmyc, what the hell do you have against Rock Lee, huh?

24. Shishou Under this eyepatch is an eye!

Lee cannot die until he becomes the greatest Taijutsu fighter of all time, opens the 8 gates and kicks everyones ass. It is destined for either him or Gai to die, opening the 8 gates.

But Lee can't die yet, he is too unique.

Neji would be a better choice to die, because he is already a badass, and prodigy of his clan. There are also other Hyuugas that they can focus on. Hanabi may be possible to be on the same level as Neji, or possibly even surpass. Then there is Hinata, and whomever else in the clan. Neji is badass, and his dying would have an effect, especially on Naruto. Plus if Neji died saving Lee, or Hinata, that would be a real tear jerker, or possibly drive them over their limits.

Then there is Kakashi. He needs to die, juss for the story. It would be a big impact, and it is likely that Kakashi would sacrifice his life, for his friends. Seeing as how Obito sacrificed his life to save Kakashi, I can see Kakashi doing the same for someone else. As a theory of mine is also, that Sharingan will be killed off completely. Therefore Itachi, and Kakashi muss die, and eventually Sasuke. Since that clan bloodline is way to overpowered. Kakashi also seems to be trying to compete with superior opponents, which eventually will cause him to be killed, one way or another.

Sakura... She should die, but I don't know if many people would care. So she will juss be left alive, and be the healer bitch.

Shikamaru is a pretty main character. And it would be an impact for him to die saving his teammates... But in the end, I think he is too damn smart to be killed, and he always has some odd luck. If he is going to be killed, something/one will always save him.

Rock Lee is the biggest underdog in the entire series. He has been through so many hardships, and he shows that even someone such as himself, can be great if they work hard and never give up. I mean look at him, he only has 1/3 of what the basic ninja has. And that 1/3 he had, was below average. Yet he still manages to compete with the main characters, and always has a great fight. If Rock Lee is facing off against someone, you know the fight will be badass as hell.

By this time, Lee can probably do the Ura Renge, and only be in the condition he was, when he did Omote Renge to Gaara.

Hell, Gai opened 6 Gates and did a crazy attack, and he seemed to be fine after. So it may be a Double Edged Sword, but depending on the body of the user, it may do less damage back, the stronger they are.

25. Teren_Kanan Hitokiri no Teren, Missing Nin

Please don't missunderstand me. I didn't mean right now, at this point in the story, I just mean in general, if a character eventually was going to be killed, which should it be.

Thanks those of you who repped me, I"ll be sure to rep you back.

26. sik4rilz Official Lol'er of the Kunai

he might die..itd have a huge impact and he would probly die killin someone really important after openin the 8 gates..

27. tmmyc on a Forums Break

Oh nothing, I give respect to the shinobi's who have proven they are deserving of it. I am still waiting for Lee to do so...

28. Onijai "Ero-sennin~!!"

Nah, not Lee, his achievements would seem fruitless if he died opening the 8 gates. We've already had the tragic almost permanent crippling for Lee.

The character I think would best suit the position you describe is Gaara. Look at his situation now, he's finally achieved some recognition from his peers and become Kazekage. The small bit of recognition he needed, but he needs to feel that he has earned it and he should do this in an epic battle with a few members of the Akatsuki, or just the one... either way: he would sacrifice himself after a huge soliloquy of him talking about his past and how he's realised this and that. Then it'd finish with a scene after the "bad guy" is defeated with Naruto kneeling next to him.

"Why?! Why did you do it, Gaara?!!" - that kind of stuff. Ah, perfect death.

To all Gaara fans: Don't hurt me! I'm a Gaara fan too! >_<!!

29. Shadow of the Lotus New Member

All that Gaara stuff seems to make a lot of sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if Gaara did die, though it would be sad (I've finally forgiven him for beating up Lee so badly). I still want to make the argument for Gai, though after readign that Gaara stuff Gaara sounds a good deal more likely. I think the death of Gai would push Lee over the age to reach some new level of the gates. Possibly the 7th gate? Maybe even the 8th gate but he somehow survives from it because he wishes to carry on the nice guy pose legacy. If that did happen though, I bet it woudl turn out in the end Gai was fine the entire time and just got hurt really badly. *shrug* who knows

30. abz_ Doesn't want a Custom Title

no don't kill rock lee, he is too unique, his reasons for fighting are different from everyone (except naruto i think). plus he is the second most jammy (lucky) character, second only to naruto. not to mention he is the only fighter that fights better when he isn't serious (drunk :laugh ).

ABZ