1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

Roleplay Contest #6: The Final Frontier

Discussion in 'OOC Lounge' started by Island, May 19, 2018.

1. Island In the Sun

United States
    THE FINAL FRONTIER
    Roleplay Contest #6​

The deadline for submissions is Sunday June 10 @ 11:59 PM EST.

Welcome to the next roleplay contest. Instead of another character creation contest, we will return to our roots and do a world building one. Your objective is to create a fictional universe that matches the theme. Describe its people, places, things, and anything else that makes it unique. Pretend that your readers are potential players or somebody who might want to play a game set in your universe. What is most important about your setting? What would a potential new player need to know about it? Most importantly, why should I care about your setting? What makes it different from any other, and given the choice, why should I play a game in your setting?

This contest's theme is Space Opera world building.

Rules:
    • Entries must be submitted by the deadline.
    • Entries must be original and your own work.
    • Entries must match the theme.
    • The theme is open to interpretation.
    • There is no minimum or maximum word count.
    • Participants may vote for their favorite entries once the deadline has passed: they may choose their three favorite entries (in order) and the results will be averaged to determine the winners.

You may find and link helpful in designing your worlds.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. Island In the Sun

United States
  3. Sequester Not Banned

4. Catamount Wreak havoc

Trinidad and Tobago
    I suck in creating space world, only good in reading about it. I'll give it a try, but do not promise posting it if it ends in something like "there was a ship and there were no people there".

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  5. Island In the Sun

United States
    Oh, and if you guys want to brainstorm ideas, I can create a channel on the Discord server. I'm probably going to work on my world within the next couple days.

6. kluang The Cavalry's Here

This will be interesting

I'm in

7. Alwaysmind 总是心神

Switzerland, Canada, China
    I will try to give it a shot.

8. Oddjutsu I just figured out how to change my custom title

I am in, it will be a small setting but with awesome futuristic tech

9. Sequester Not Banned

I have a bunch of ideas, first I am going to set it deep, deep, deep ago in a constellation a great distance from us....

And there is going to be a order of light warriors, who channel something called the might

10. Island In the Sun

United States
    So like Star Trek?

11. kluang The Cavalry's Here

12. Mohammed Mubarak Alkhater Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Tunisia

13. Island In the Sun

United States
    All you guys better enter. :blobknife

14. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

I've got about 70% of the random notes for what I want to do. Just need a bit of polish then to figure out how to present them as a coherent setting.

15. Island In the Sun

United States
    Yeah, I'm about halfway done mine. Ideally I'll finish this weekend and post it on Monday/Tuesday.

16. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

You'll probably beat me. I'll be out of town for the weekend so I doubt I'll get anything done.

17. kluang The Cavalry's Here

Damn, following my country political event really dampen my schedule

18. Island In the Sun

United States
    I have faith that this contest will end with at least one entry.

Don't let me down. :catwave

19. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

I've gotten a partially written one at work, just need work to be slow enough to let me finish.

20. Island In the Sun

United States
    Here is my mock entry. Let me know what you guys think.

21. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The galaxy is a big place, and I mean big. For a long time it was assumed the stars would burn out before anyone had a chance to visit them all. The rings linked only a small percentage of the stars after all. But that was before the Humans came.

Humans are called a great number of different things, a few even good, but it's clear that they brought change with them. With their new EFG drives it's possible for even a small ship to travel between the stars. And so such exploration has fallen to small crews of ships, scattering to different corners of the galaxy to seek out adventure and treasure and report back with what they find.

You could be among them. If you're foolish enough.

Spoiler: History of Humanity

In order to understand how Humanity changed the galaxy, it's important to know a bit about how Humanity itself has changed.

Their early development is much like most species, technologies developing through the use of simple machines and extracting power through combustion to eventually harness electricity, computing, and similar technologies.

Humanity takes an abrupt departure in the beginning of the 21st century by their calendar. The details are missing, most records from that time were lost, but apparently something happened that caused society to collapse utterly. Most of the surface of their planet -- their only planet at the time -- was consumed with chaos and war.

In their year 2147 the three Human nations we know today established themselves as places of stability. Poland, Ecuador, and Papua New Guinea represented safe harbors for civilization and in time they would split the planet between them.

The threat of extinction passed the Humans turned their eyes towards space once again, this time with the intent of finding replacements for what had been lost. By the year 2208 they had colonies across their solar system on any surface that was reasonable to have them.

By all rights their story should have ended there, like so many other systems the Human star lacked a ring gate so they had no link to the outside world. Humans however were apparently not content to allow that to stop them.

In the year 2257 the first prototype of the Enhanced Field Generator drive was online, the EFG drive allowed travel faster than light and the humans were able to send scouting expeditions to nearby systems.

In 2269 they discovered an offline ring node in a system near their home star. By 2273 they had connected to the ring network and humanity was introduced into the greater galaxy.

By their calendar it is now 2295 and the impact of Humanity is just starting to be known. Exploration ships travel the galaxy searching and mapping systems, and new races are even being introduced that would have had no access much like the Humans did. What this will mean in the future we can only guess.

In "Age of Exploration" the players are organized in small exploration ships. The EFG drives allow the ships to travel the galaxy in absence of ring gates, but the size of the field they generate is quite limited. Most ships are large enough for approximately 6 people, though they sometimes get as small as a single individual or as large as a 12 person crew.

Adventures will typically focus around exploring new systems. Some systems are uninhabited, though that shouldn't be confused with "safe," some systems host populations as advanced as any of the major races -- they simply lack connection to the outside world.

There's no way to know what you'll encounter before arriving, and no easy way to call for backup when you're there, so the most successful ships have a mixture of skills and technologies available. How will you contribute to your crew's success?

Spoiler: Races of the Universe

Spoiler: Humans

Biology: Humans are a species with four major limbs, two "hands" specialized in grasping and manipulation, two "feet" more specialized for locomotion. Most sensory elements are stored in a fifth smaller appendage termed a "head" along with the primary neurological cortex. Humans average between 5.5' and 6' in height and between 150 and 200 pounds.

Average Age: Humans reach physical maturity at approximately 16 years of age, and mental maturaty at about 24 years of age. Most assume this contributes to the peculiarities humans exhibit as a species. Their lifespan can reach as old as 150 years though it deteriorates throughout their adult life.

Reproduction: Humans are divided into two sexes "male" and "female." The female of the species produces an egg through specialized organs which is held internally and fertilized by a seed from the male. The egg is then incubated internally in the female and expelled after about 9 months. Newborn humans are generally completely invalid, reliant on others for protection until physical and mental maturity.

Psychological Characteristics: Humans stand out the most among other races by an intense desire to move and explore. Human's EFG drive is credited by most scholars as coming from the Human's complete inability to stand still. While all races have some desire to seek out the resources they need, humans seem to be the only ones that wish to move purely for the sake of moving.

Spoiler: Dakkar

Biology: Dakkar have four limbs connected in a roughly pyrimidal shape to a centralized ball-like connector. Each of these limbs acts as both grasping and locomotive limb as well as housing rudimentary sensory organs and orifices for respiration, nutrition, and waste elimination. Internally organs and the nervous system are spread throughout most of their biology, making them fairly resistant to injury. Dakkar stand approximately 3' off the ground but weigh on average 200-250 lbs.

Average Age: Dakkar reach maturity rapidly at about 12 years of age and live on average to about 70 years.

Reproduction: Dakkar have only a single sex. Reproduction however is a complex process involving six Dakkar linking limbs to form a rough spherical frame. A successful coupling exchanges genetic material between all six participants and can result in any or all of the participants being pregnant with a young. Young are incubated internally for approximately 27 months at which time they are born live. Newborns are mobile from birth though mentally typically take 6 months to reach self-sufficiency.

Psychological Characteristics: Dakkar are very closed about their society, so little is known about their home world or traditions. Their ships tend to be very heavy for their size and focused on defenses.

Spoiler: Okan

Biology: No one knows what the Okan used to look like biologically. Long ago they abandoned most of their biological form in favor of artificial constructs. As such their bodies form is dictated more by design and intent than by any sort of evolutionary process. Each body has one (or more!) cores plugged in that house the mental framework of the individual Okan along with genetic information.

Average Age: Okan in their artificial bodies are functionally immortal. Death never occurs from natural causes. Okan at birth have limited knowledge and awareness however they advance rapidly reaching a level where they can act independently within their first month of life.

Reproduction: Unsurprisingly reproduction is a fully artificial process for the Okan, when they choose to do so a new housing is constructed for the core. Typically Okan combine their core data to create a new self, individuals differ as to whether this should be a fully random process or bias in ways to attempt to influence the outcome. Once the core is populated it is typically installed as a secondary core with one (or more) of the parent Okan until such a time that it learns sufficiently to be self sufficient.

Psychological Characteristics: Okan have a focus on direct results and applied power. They have little concerns for formality, and typically are considered "cold" by other races.

Spoiler: Eikar

Biology: Eikar are an insect-like race covered in an exoskeleton. They have eight limbs, the rear four specialized for locomotion, the front four for manipulation. Their sensory and respretory organs are on the front part of their abdomen. They are typically about 7' long, though they weigh only about 120lbs on average.

Average Age: Eikar reach maturity at about 23 years, and can live as long as 700 years.

Reproduction: Like most things in their society the Eikar reproduction is highly ritualized. While they have only two sexes the ritual of reproduction requires a staggering 7 different participants. One female produces an egg, it is coaxed from the body by ministrations of two other Eikar (of either sex). At the same time seed is produced by a male, and extracted by another participant. The seed and egg are combined by a second male, and a second female crafts a nest for the egg to be incubated and hatched. The entire ritual is prescribed to take 12 hours, though it can be rushed to as short as 4 (though few Eikar find such a rush satisfying).

Psychological Characteristics: Eikar are highly ritualized creatures, left to their own devices they have extended rituals for everything from waking up to combat. Their interactions with other races have shifted their expectations on this somewhat however their inclination remains the same.

Spoiler: Derpaderps

Biology: Derpaderps are four limbed bipeds that look suspiciously like Humans though they reach only 3.5' on average. Unlike Humans the Derpaderps have pure-white skin and apparently no distinguishing features (though they tell each other apart with no problem).

Average Age: Derpaderps are fully mature at birth, and can live as long as 45 years.

Reproduction: Derpaderps are sexless as a species. When they desire to reproduce they go through a period of intense feeding, roughly doubling in weight, and simply split in two. The two new Derpaderps are considered children of the now deceased parent. Initially they have the same knowledge however their frame of reference is frequently colored by their new genetic code.

Psychological Characteristics: When alone Derpaderps are intensely curious, even beyond reason. In larger groups they seem to defer to those in charge seemingly through some sort of hive mind (though no such link has been proven).

Spoiler: Technologies

M-653: Element number 653 is a naturally occurring but extraordinarily rare element. In raw form it is incredibly unstable and while not radioactive seeks to react to compound with almost any other substance it comes in contact with. When compounded correctly it displays unbelievable properties allowing for seemingly physics breaking behavior. With the right use it can make almost any technology more efficient or more effective. Structural beams more sturdy, generators run at higher efficiency, and "impossible" technologies like gravitational generators require radically smaller amounts of energy. It's generally found compounded with rock requiring processing for use but is a horded resource across the galaxy.

Ring Network: The Ring Network exists longer than any of the current races have been traveling space. It is a network of space stations that connect to one another through wormholes. Travel between the portals is not instantaneous, but it is absurdly fast (measurements have been as fast as a million times the speed of light). The construction of new Ring Gates is within the ability of most races, however the power consumption of the gates is immense when they are active.

Ring Ships: Ring Ships are a type of ship with a ring gate built into them. They can travel to any part of the galaxy (at least in theory) taking their gate with them. However due to the amount of power required for this only the largest of ships can possibly house a Ring Drive. Prior to the EFG drive this was the primary method of exploration, though it was done very hesitantly. Due to the cost involved (cost for a "base" model of Ring Ship would be in the trillions of dollars by today's standard) it was a risk to commit any of these ships to a project.

Nanotranslators: Where they came from and how they work are not exactly clear but what they do is evident enough. Nanotranslators are nanobots that "infect" living creatures, once infected the host is somehow permanently altered in such a fashion that they understand the languages known by anyone else that has been infected. The nanobots then reproduce and spread virus-like to other living creatures. The translation doesn't give any specific knowledge of the language, just understanding of the meaning. At this point all of the "common" races have been infected, and certainly any space-traveler, but newly encountered races likely would not have been.

EFG Drives: The Human's Enhanced Field Generator Drive creates a "bubble" around a ship that bends space in such a fashion that the sub-light propulsion results in an effective faster-than-life speed. Due to the fact that it's creating a "bubble" it requires exponentially more energy the larger a ship it covers and as of yet it is only practical in fairly short trips. Trips with the EFG Drive require the right instinct and effeciency comes as much from pilot skill as the equipment itself but max out at around 10000 times the speed of light.

Sublight Engines: Technologies vary however most utilize an energy based system (as opposed to fuel) allowing for longer trips. Speeds vary widely however the highest end top out at approximately 50% the speed of light.

Shielding: Energy based shielding is common on many ships. Most have at least radiation and environmental based shielding though grades effective in military situations. Shield generators tend to be fairly bulky and are very energy greedy so as of yet they have not been crafted for personal use.

Weapons: Ship-to-ship weapons typically favor energy weapons so that ammunition are not needed, though explosive based and pure ballistic base weapons are used to some degree. Personal weapons haven't radically changed as most biological lifeforms are fairly easy to kill. Energy weapons have some use but aren't terribly more effective than old fashioned slug throwers.

Spoiler: Example Adventures

Spoiler:
    The ship encounters a deposit of M-653 smack dab in the middle of a pre-industrial society. Surveying it would require some interaction with the aliens, it's up to the ship to determine if this is worth it and what approach to take.

Spoiler:
    The ship encounters a disabled ring gate,, searching the structure might yield treasures though it may hide defenses as well.

Spoiler:
    A large space-aware civilization inhabits an isolated system far from any recorded ring-gates, the crew represent the first encounter with the greater galaxy, how they play the cards might determine how this civilization integrates, or the crew can simply run away and leave it for others to sort out.

Spoiler:
    A planet suitable for inhabitation but lacking sentient life is discovered, on the surface there's a shrine-like construction using advanced technology. With no ring gate in the system and no sign of advanced life where did it come from? What secrets does it hide?

Spoiler:
    The holodeck malfunctions and threatens to kill the crew, again.

22. kluang The Cavalry's Here

Space. The frontier. The lawless frontier.

History

In 1987, a spaceship was launched from the Kennedy Space Center, a test for humanity first Earth to Mars cruiser based on an alien ship crashed two years prior in Malaysia. The test failed, but one of the crews, a Japanese pilot, sacrifice himself by staying behind as the emergency pods left the failed cruiser, and the ship went on into deep space.

In 2017, a spaceship emerged from hyperspace and landed near D.C with a man with black armor and a very familiar breathing sound appear from the ship. The Japanese man now called himself Momotaro reveal to survive the ordeal. He was picked up by a band of space pirates and rank through its ranks. He claimed to save the life of a Galactic High Councilor (some sources says it was an accident, as they were pulling a heist in the space casino and accidentally killed the assassin) and as a token of gratitude, humanity will learn the true way of intergalactic travels.

In 2018, the Intergalactic Alliances arrived and through them, humanity learned a few things. The Alliance can teach humanity the technology, but the ship must be built by human hands. Second, they need a planetary government.

In 2025, humanity successfully launched their first light speed rocket and deem scientifically ready to join the galaxy. Meanwhile, politicians from all around the globe still bicker about the planetary government.

In 2039, The First Planetary Election Day. An Australian becomes the First Earth President, much to the dismay of the American. The American demands a recount but was objected to by two-thirds of the world nations. The First Human Diplomat is Kyo Kusanagi of Japan.

In 2041, Disney creates DHI (Disney Heavy Industries), followed by Sony Heavy Industries, Apples Aircraft, Detroit Robotics, and Nintendo Technology, among others.

2050, The First Fleet is complete. Earth has three Noah class Carrier, Ten Yamamoto class Super Dreadnought, Twenty Ganon class Dreadnought, Thirty Minnie Cruisers, One Hundred Normandy class Frigates, Three Hundred Luigi Bombers, and Five Hundred Rose Class Fighters

In 2051, Humanity officially joined the intergalactic community.

In 2071, Embers of War can be seen across the universe as the Goadaka Empire expands its territory.

In 2075, Humanity joined the Third Galactic War

In 2085, after a decade of war, the Empire was defeated, but the structures that holds the Alliance also crumbled. The galactic dark age has begun.

Race

Earth
    Human- Nuff said.
    Androids- Following the Detroit android rebellion in 2058, humanity recognizes androids as a new species.

Jakk

Branc- an all female purple colored species, as tall as the humans. Considered beautiful, sexy by humans. Short life spans, 40 years old is max. Breed like rabbits. Known for their speed, dexterity, and hit and run tactics in combat.

Verja

Verjan - A red colored species. 10ft tall is average. Four limbs. Four eyes. Like humans because of scotch.

Seiber

Saiba - Saibamen are robots. Years ago they overthrew their creators and wipe them out in an event they called The Cleansing. They viewed the organics as inferiors. They are particularly hate the androids of earth who claimed organics and robotics should married to achieve a higher level of life.

Known Companies

Will be added

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  23. Island In the Sun

United States
  24. Mohammed Mubarak Alkhater Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Tunisia
  25. Sequester Not Banned

Hope I can make it... Even if I do it will be sub par and not what I initially wanted to do... Been so busy I haven't sat at my desktop in over a month. All my posts and lurking has been done on my phone....

26. Sequester Not Banned

Apologies, don't think it is possible for me this time around. I am not used to my new schedule yet so it currently still feels hectic to me. I don't want to submit anymore mobile entries like I did on the last flash fiction.

27. Island In the Sun

United States
    Wasn't a non-character creation contest your suggestion? :blobree

(It's cool, lol. There will be more contests.)

28. Sequester Not Banned

Yes, and I had every intention to participate.... It just when you are trying to write on the go, sitting on buses next to strangers it kinda takes you out of your comfort zone.

You think I am not bummed? This contest was right up my alley, I immediately thought up one alien race that I was going to make the centerpiece of my submission. I was excited because I thought the concept was brilliant, but I don't want to waste it with a half assed attempt.

29. Island In the Sun

United States
    It's all good. Real life comes first and all that.

What were you planning on doing specifically?

30. Sequester Not Banned

The race would have been complicated to explain, let's just say the alien race are born as rudimentary behemoths who grow their cognitive functions externally on its body during adolescence. Upon adulthood it's 'brain' would separate itself from the main body in the form of a typical humanoid esque being. Although separated the two bodies maintain connection telepathically, and the race hides it's monstrous main body in between two dimensional planes which most species can't perceive, while the humanoid brain is what they use to present themselves diplomatically.

I was going to make them a race who strived for peace, but are really dangerous if provoked. I thought the dichotomy within this alien race would have been gold with how I wanted to present everything, I had a lot of plans centered around them.