1. opcontest
    Vote in the One Piece Fanart Contest!
    The Voting ends on Jul 10, 2020 at 6:13 PM.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alley Banner Contest
    Join the Alley's Thread Festival!
    Make a thread a day from the 1st to the 10th of July.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Rookies Discussions/Information Thread

Discussion in 'Featured Manga of December 2011' started by Badalight, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Badalight

ROOKIES

Genres:
    Shounen, Sports, Comedy, School Life

Author/Artist:
    Morita Masanori

Other Notable Works:
    Rokudenashi Blues
    Hello Baby (Author, teamed with Artist Takeshi Obata)

Read Online:
    Rokudenashi Blues
    Rokudenashi Blues

(And plenty of other sites)

Acclaim:
    Rookies has only been translated into one other language, French. It does not have an anime but it did have an 11 episode Drama. This drama was extremely popular and well received in Japan. So much so that it even got a live action movie adaption that was shown in theaters. It also did incredibly well grossing nearly $100,000,000, which for a japanese movie is quite a lot considering how low budget they are. It was also relatively popular while it was being published in Shounen Jump.

Additional Information:
    It originally ran in Shounen Jump from 1998-2003. The series is complete and is almost completed scanlated. It has a total of 24 volumes.

Comments:
    This is without a doubt my favorite manga. A lot of people may be turned off by the fact that it's about baseball (Not everyone is into sports) but I assure you that in the long run it doesn't matter. In-fact, I HATE baseball and yet this manga has turned out to be one of the best I've ever read. That should attest to how good it is. Over-all even though baseball is there, it sort of takes a backseat to everything else. It's not about that. It's about these teenagers and their struggles growing up. It's amazing how Kawato interacts with them. Masanori does a great job with facial expressions and through his drawings you can really understand how these characters feel.

Rookies has some of the best character development I've ever seen. The characters are all loveable and memorable. A lot of people compare this series to GTO but in my opinion Rookies is easily the better of the two. It's not too childish but also not vulgar enough to be a seinen. If you're an emotional person you WILL cry. Rookies is seriously one of those hidden gems of a manga that many people over-look.

Baka Updates page
    Rokudenashi Blues​

Tags:
  2. truetomyself

Man, this manga ended 8 years ago and it's not yet fully scanlated... What a bummer.

3. Badalight

Only like 3 volumes left, and a few chapters get scanlated each month so it won't take too much longer.