1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Sad past

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Fumashuriken, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Fumashuriken Quick and painless

Why do you think almost every shinobi in Naruto have a sad Past? Isn"t it strange?

Tags:
  2. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

No they do not. Sure, there are a good few, but that's the life of a ninja. Many people died protecting their villages and family….

3. Code Zoamelgustar

Yeah they do.

They go overboard with it and the overly emotionial-ness. Even Sakura of all people had her forehead angst... then 98% get their ass kicked by Naruto and change their ways... (well maybe not that much... 97% better?)

4. Fumashuriken Quick and painless

Who do you think has the saddest?
    I'd say Haku or Gaara

5. kataimiko 忘れるものか この一分一秒を

they don't all have bad pasts. It just seems that way because some of the main characters had one.

I hardly call Sakura's self-image crisis a "bad past."

Plus, I think it makes the characters seem all the more "real" when you are able to see imperfections and struggles that they have faced.

6. Fumashuriken Quick and painless

Well... Not all but most of them do.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  7. Maleficent ∞tp

Most likely the main characters have angsty pasts so that people can identify with them... =/

8. Ruri always the hours

The sad pasts give the series its drama and emotional depth. Besides, the story revolves around ninjas, so I guess it's appropriate (for the sake of realism) to have characters with unfortunate histories.

9. Fumashuriken Quick and painless

That's exacly what I like about the characters. They try to achieve their goals.

10. hikaranko yaruttebayo!!

yes, the main characters all have tortuous, angsty, bloody pasts... but such is the way of fighters, be they ninja, samurai, or whatever. they have to be prepared to give their lives in the heat of battle. sacrifices are made. families are torn apart and children are orphaned. that's just what happens.

their dark pasts make them much more interesting and even shape their very identities. they all have reasons for being the way they are. it's boring to have them just be a certain way for no particular reason.

and for the record, I think Gaara's past is the saddest. poor angsty little boy.

11. kataimiko 忘れるものか この一分一秒を

honestly, I think Sasuke and Gaara are tied for saddest past.

Sasuke witnessed everyone close to him die by the hands of his own brother. While Gaara never knew what it was to be loved or to feel it, let alone physical pain.

Both of those situations are extremely traumatizing for a young child to go through.

12. Mizura Meh

If they didn't have a sad past, the story would have no reason to focus on them. So it doesn't.

That said, Ino, Shikamaru, Kiba, Shino and maybe Tenten don't seem to have sad pasts. *shrugs*

13. iggyspeedstars No car = (

Sakura seems to have had a good life.

14. Miss CCV Alis Volat Propriis.

I second what Ruri-chan said. Besides, at least they don't show how ninjas commit suicide in order to restore honor to their family (I think this happens when the ninja loses to their opponent. They don't want to face the "embarrassment" of losing so they commit suicide in order to take their pride with them to the grave). This was something that I vaguely remember learning in my History110B class. Sorry if my information is wrong though...

The sad pasts in this series is one of the huge reasons why I like Naruto so much; it gives the show depth and it taps into people in a strong emotional way. Gaara's past made me cry a river tears...and also my guy friends lol!

15. Nintai The Dark Side

I guess that is how it goes when you live in a war torn country. Most people go through horrible things like that everyday in real life, some of us are privileged enough to live in more peaceful ways. I never count my chickens before they hatch though "I didn't just say that you're hallucinating."

16. Yuna The Legendary Anti-Sakuratard

Sakura's suffering? I don't read the manga, but yay! I have something to look forward to!

17. dspr8_rugged RX-0 Unicorn Gundam

It sometimes irks me that some ninjas are forced to have a "sad past".

Well, I can understand that some ninjas do have painful stories because of the situations that they're in.

Showing the past stories of villains is not my thing, but as long as it can add flavor to the plot and not be used as a filler, I wouldn't mind. Gaara is an exception, though.

18. Master Scorpion UG's High Priest

hehe hell yeah!! naruto,sasuke,neji,and gaara are shinobis who have a traggic past, but the most horrible past is sasuke!but hey we also have a traggic past when we were still kids... not only those 4 shinobis. so when the writer/creator has wrote that story, the idea is came from his past.

19. chunks pimpled and angry

it's a cheap and easy way of giving the characters depth.

20. Hazu ♥PUCCA LOVE♥

mm..I wonder that to sometimes... ^_^
    But It's rather interesting to read about people's pasts...yeah...

21. Fumashuriken Quick and painless

Kakashi's father's life too was messed up

22. Sasori-Bot Gay for Sasori.

yeah really strange especially kakashi.

23. Kahlua2606 ANBU

I might go as far as to say that maybe all of them do, but you only find out about it when Kishi decides to give more depth and background to the character. From Anko's past with Oro, to Chouji getting made fun of for being fat and stupid, to Kakashi losing everyone important to him and his father committing suicide, to even Sakura losing the guy she loved (Sasuke), etc...

However, I think that Kishi is trying to show that everyone has a past, whether in real life or in his fictional world, and often this past affects how people act in the future. No one's life is perfect, so I'd argue that every character has some sort of sad past.

24. Gaara'sGirl Loner

Hmm I would say Naruto, Haku, and Gaara.But I believe Gaara had the worst past.

25. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

1.)It's a good way to allow major characters to have character development.
    2.)These people are assassins and spies coming from a family of assassins and spies, very dangerous existence thus there are many incidents
    3.)Not all do, Really thus far in the series (excluding part II) only Naruto, Sasuke, Neji, Haku, Kimimaro, and Gaara have had a tragic past. Sakura and Chouji were just being big babies. I mean one guy has his entire family and everything he loved destroyed by his older brother whom he trusted then forced to witness it over and over in mental torture...While the other was made fun of for having a big forehead.

26. kage_konoha shadow of the night

It seems that Kiba and Shino are the only two charcters I can think of who didn't have a bad past. But then again they haven't showed flashbacks of their past, yet.

27. fireofdarkness89 slayer of noobs

28. Anego for the love of Kimimaro..

shikamaru & ino seem fine :)
    Kimimaro who had the saddest past.. Being locked in jail with minimum sunshine at childhood? That what I called worst..

29. itachisgirl4875 life without you

maybe kishimoto wanted to create a longer storyline cause of his inspiration with dragonball z