1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Samurai 7

Discussion in 'Off the Air' started by Catatonik, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Catatonik

and what those soulless bastards did to the genius that is Kurosawas epic.

Most of the Kurosawa adaptations I have seen are worthy of being watched, infact, many of them stand up quite favourably. This was not one of those times.

As a fan of anime in it's multitude of forms I went into the viewing with a combination of trepidition and hope, I came away feeling dirty and violated.

From here on in there may be minor spoilers...I highly recommend you read them to be aware of why you should NEVER watch this series if you have ANY love for Kurosawas genius.

First off, let's check the anime stereotype checklist.:

Robots, check.
    Uber-cannons that can level cities, check.
    Men who can cut battleships in half with a four foot blade, check.
    Chibi style characters, check.
    Ambiguous sexual relationships, check. (Noting that this one isn't even based of the ambiguous sexuality in the original film)
    Deformed character faces on non-main characters, check.
    Horribly designed mecha, check.

Follow these up with the following additional drawbacks. Plothooks that make no sense, coincidences that wouldn't even be allowed into an Uwe Boll film, inconsistent and mediocre art. Terrible soundtrack, a horrible mangling of the primary concepts behind the movie and lines yanked straight from it, and forcibly injected into the dialogue of this complete waste of time. There is virtually no thought put into the plot of this, it seems to exist as an excuse to use robots from dime novels, samurai, mecha, mysticism, chibi and flashy (though poorly done) fight scenes in one series.

By the time I had hit the third episode, I realized there was no hope left, but as a favour to all the other Kurosawa fans I finished the entire series in order to see if there any sparks of life worth seeing within..

No. From beginning to the painful ending, this travesty of an 'adaptation' is no tribute. this is digging up Kurosawas corpse and performing unholy acts of tentacular obscenities upon it...finishing it off with a gleeful Bukkake shot.

Rating: 1/10

The only reason I give it a 1 is because there were like three scenes that made me chuckle.

Do yourself a favour and walk away from this one...

Tags:
  2. imcrazy

ya it kinda sucks that alot of the characters die in the end, however this is no disney movie, where everyone lives happily ever after. Also this series is trying to follow the movie "Seven Samurai" and its plot, therefore they can't change what happens to certain characters and what not. At first I felt the same as you, however upon thinking about, I now appreciate it because this is one of the things that sets this story apart from other stories. Its what makes it unique. Its a more realistic ending in which not every thing is perfect, and there is still problems/things that have to be dealt with. This is no fairy tale.

However if you want a crappy ending go watch .hack//sign, after seeing that ending, I felt like I had wasted my time watching the series (oh ya, the last 2 eps are just a major waste of time, especially the last one).

3. Anbu_33

i liked that some of them died thats what made the movie stand out alot more to me but in the anime i hated the way they died, heihachi had a pretty decent death but kyuzos death, WTF, and the ending, i mean whats going to happen with katsushirou and kanbee, i mean they just killed everybdy off and then left the series without and ending.

it probably could have been 13 episodes long for it to have a bigger impact, everything happened so slow and sudden at the same time.

4. jkingler

WTF indeed. He dodged bullets all the time. He was the most badass of the bunch! He dodged about 10 bullets at a time, so you would think he would know better than to be in the line of fire (even behind somebody else) and get shot by stupid Katsunoji...*grumbles* But I agree. The death made it more realistic, and kept it truer to the source material than I expected it to be.

5. da_rippa

Maybe its true, that its more realistic ^^.
    Man, i dont like it. I cant do anything about it.
    Maybe with time I accept and like it, but for now...

6. bmac1632

agree i liked how some of them died but some of their deaths seemed sort of cheap like they wanted them to die but couldnt figure out a good way to kill them off...i also found the ending, not just the last episode but the whole assault on the capital was lackluster..the samurais found very little resistent except for Ukyo's assistant who was very skilled..but for a samurai anime there was very little sword fighting..i know they were saying the age of the samurai is almost over but still to think Ukyo didnt have more samurai guards to keep him safe

i thought when Katsushirou left after the fight with Kambei, he was going to join Ukyo and help him defeat Kambei to show him his true strength...and dont get me started on the horrible love part of the series..just plain awful..i had high hopes for this series but in the end i thought it was subpar and the final fight against the capital was uneventful except for Kyuzo unbelivable stupid death

7. hokageryu

i dint like the ending because the guy i liked died and the guy i hated survibed i dont know it just sucked

8. P-Nut

kyuzo did indeed die in a stupid way (he's the coolest samurai in the series)....but if he didnt die he would probally killed off kambei... anyways I was afraid to read the topic when I saw it.... im not a fan of bad endings hehe... I rather have a satisfied feeling in the end... but now that ive seen all episodes I think it was good ive expected worse when I read the topic name...

9. soulreaver99

Yeah, all the cool samurais that I liked died. oh well...

10. Crowe

Watched the whole serie in 1 1/2 day, i luv it but i hate to agree that the ending was bad, Kyuzo shouldnt have died, not the robot guy either. Would have been great if kambei or Katsunoji died >.<.

11. jkingler

^Agreed. Kambei dying would have felt...I don't want to say "good" but I would say appropriate. He had a feeling of doom about him, like he could never be happy unless he died an honorable death. I would have liked for him to have died, and for Kyuzo to have lived. And If Katsunoji died doing something honorable, and Kirara mourned him and redoubled her duties as mizumiko, that would have left a better taste in my mouth as well.

12. kakashie-sensei

i agree who i also would have like to die was the youngest samurai (can't remember his name). he really started to annoy me after like 7 episodes.
    or i would have liked that everybody would staid alive(except the youngest one) and staid in an team to fight whatever.

i know it's corny, but i would have liked that

13. Oujisama

Oh whine whine. Shut up and stop complaining. Thats how the original movie went, thats how the anime is gonna go. If they didnt follow that, it would ruin the whole kurosawa license and the movie itself, its disrespect. Though i was really dissapointed that the three coolest character had to go off and die like that.

14. Arcanite

Great series, ending sux. Thats how the real movie ended so at least it didn't stray. This reminds me of other animes that were great but the endings were disappointing like FMA and Cowboy Bebop.

15. kurisawa

i've seen it, i liked it. the ending however...it sucked

16. Kepa

well it's not stupid that they die...they should've died so they could have made a nicer speech. What is strange is how they all die at almost the same time. I haven't yet seen the end of the anime samurai7...but it's most likely like in the movie, all of a sudden.
    kinda dumb they didn't spread it out a bit more.

17. defort

i've seen it too, when I watched the ending "is this it?!!! just like that!!!?? nooooooO!!!!" and I haven't open that thing for few months dy

18. Xan-Nella

Hmm, i never did get 'round to watching the rest of Samurai 7 :p

I know Katsuhito, the youngest, survives,w hich i'm glad of because he is my favorite.

But can anyone please give me a quick summary of what he does from the Ep were he kills for the first time?
    Does the romance between him and Kirara go the same as in the movie or does it end better than her simply staying in the village with him seemingly about to leave for a life of woe?

19. yo586

ok, maybe the ending "Sucked" but i think they were trying to make a point with this. I mean, most of these animes are unrealistic, about who dies and how they get to make a speech and all that. rather, this ending was more satisfying to me because the deaths seemed random, and well saddening. more realistic in the fac that some of the better characters kicked the bucket.

20. Oujisama

Omg more complaining. Dont blame the anime, blame kurosawa, he made the movie. The anime is just about directly based on the movie with the whole mecha samurai twist. They weren't about to change the ending, fans of the original movie would be outraged.

21. Exerci

I think that it was awesome that they died. It gave it a more serious feel, since it wouldn't be as exciting if all the samurai got out of a battle that Kanbei even said that they "shouldn't even be able to win" without dying. Kyuzo, the swordsman so powerful that he couldn't be killed by a sword, falling in battle by the hands of a young samurai, Heihachi, the mediocre samurai, dying to complete his mission, Kikuchiyo, dying to save the village, and Gorobei, dying to save the others. And besides, they were fighting an enormous lot of enemies. This isn't fricking Naruto where a single man can take out an entire army without getting hurt. It isn't Pokemon either. This is about warriors, and warriors die in combat, and that's how it goes! Even though Kyuzo, Gorobei and Heihachi were my favorite characters, and it wasn't really Kyuzo's time to go there, it just gave it a bit more of that awesome feel the entire series has.

22. Beatnik

What fansub did you guys watch for episode 26? I cant find any by IY-F, but have found a file with [Katana] on it, anyone know if its got English subs?

23. skethee2

the ending sucked....all the good samurais died...and the dono or whtever leader died in a gay way..he should have been gutted by the girl

and the mecha samurai death was stupid..only his boots were left

from my point of view...the ship was gonna go into the ditch so y bother stoping it

but it had a great potential for a good series

24. deathbychocolate

i was wondering where you can download samurai 7.. because from what i know it was licensed when it was at episode 12 =(

25. Shishou

And what was the deal with him being a robot? Did they ever explain it? I mean he was human originally... But he seemed to have no flesh left... >.>

26. TheVileOne

All you people complaining do NOT know what the fuck you are talking about. The reason Japanese anime so great is that they are ballsy enough to kill off main characters and keep them dead unlike Americans. They will show you the consequences of death.

The ending was great. Kikuchiyo's final act was both dramatic and amazing. Kikuchiyo was originally a farmer. He became a samurai because he wanted to fight and prove he was worthy of respect.

The deaths were tragic and sad but they were supposed to be!

This anime series was an adaptation of Kurosawa's movie. All the character deaths were the same. What you wanted them to live? Too fucking bad.

Just stop watching anime period if you don't want to see your favorite characters die.

Don't watch Fullmetal Alchemist. Don't watch Berserk. Don't watch some of the best stories ever told because you are FUCKING PUSSIES.

Now bugger off and go masterbate to your Disney shit where no one ever gets killed except the bad guys.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

27. Wing-Zero

yeah it wasnt the greatest ending i expected more to it

28. TheVileOne

The samurai saved the village. They accomplished their goal.

29. uncle jafuncle

How the hell did they(whoever they are) turn a three hour movie into a 26 episode series?

And why do I keep seeing people talking about Toshiro Mifune's character being a robot?

How the hell did I not know about this? Seven Samurai imo is the greatest movie ever made, so regardless of if this series is good or not I need to see it!

30. TheVileOne

Yes they just started releasing the DVD's in the US. Soon it will be on Adult Swim.

They flesh things out a bit. And they have another huge conflict.

The anime version has a lot of sci-fi elements. The Nobuseri are now giant mecha/robots. Mifune's character is now a samurai cyborg.

Get to work.