1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Samurai Manga's

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by Crowe, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Which Samurai Mangas have you read/reading? Ratings, comments on them?
    I've read/reading:
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Peace Maker Kurogone
    Samurai Deeper Kyo
    Vagabond
    Blade of Immortal
    Lone Wolf & Cub (Just finished it, the ending was very sad. Diagro owns everything, one of my favorite character from now) ;_;

The two first series are more "shounen" Samurai mangas, but Vagabond, Blade of Immortal and Lone Wolf and the cub are more violent, more realistic (not manji tho >_>) and imo have more feelings to them. The fantastic 'realistic' art in all three resemble each other.

Lone Wolf and cub/BotI had a hella lot of japanese words, much info about weapons, the country, the people. Like a info bank filled in a manga. I strongly recommend it for those who love to read about historical and samurai stuff.

Vagabond Mangaka: Inoue Takehiko

Blade of The Immortal mangaka: Samura Hiroaki

Lone Wolf & cub mangaka: Kojima Goseki

And a review i found about Lone wolf & Cub, im too lazy to write a review and it would've sucked anyway. Gothatsuki

I would love to get some more recommendation on Samurai Mangas, preferably in Vagabond, Boti and Lone wolf & Cub style.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

I have been reading:
    Kyo
    Kenshin
    Champloo[only 1 chapter becasue I can't find the other place to find it]

I am looking for Blade of Immortal. I haven't heard of Vagabond and the Lone Wolf mangas. They look interesting, after reading that review about Lonce Wolf.

Kenshin is an amazing manga its much more descripitive than the anime and it shows blood, and makes the attacks more descriptive looking. Shishio arc is amazing. Thats where I am up to.

I am up to Chapter 59 in Kyo. I am not really lovbining Kyo but its something to look at and read by to kill some time, sadly I am up to date with the manga.

Champloo manga I can't really tell a lot because I only read one chapter its really good. I advise anyone who watched the anime to pick up the manga.

3. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Yeah Kenshin is indeed a great manga. Was my first manga ever, memories of how i grabbed the Rurouni: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story book and even tho i didnt understand a shit i loved it. I made my own 'scanlation', with some adhesive tape and paper and wrote my own bubbles on them. Was it 92 or 93 it was released? Cant remember really.

I love Sojiro The Tenken, he is 2 in my all top characters. That arc is great in the anime to.

Do you buy the SDK manga? I've read up to 52, latest scanlated chapter i could find.

If you're after Vagabond or other manga's try irc, search here:
    and then go to their irc channel. #lurk, at irc.irchighway.net. Just tell me if you need any help with that.

Added a manga i forgot in my list.

4. 12456 Member

I was about to mention Samurai Champloo as a possible choice as well, though I don't know if it goes well together with what you seek. Vagabond and LW&K(C) is some of the best manga I've read and I don't know any other series that are as good when it comes to both depth and quality within that genre (BOTI is great too but i liked the two others better).

As for other Samurai series... Peace Maker Kurogane as well as Shinsengumi Imo Peace Maker (both by Kurono Nanae) comes to mind but yet again I don't know if that's the kind of manga you are looking for. Since I haven't read either yet I can't say for sure. Maybe you should check them out regardless, I don't know.

EDIT: Seems you've read one of those already :p Sorry

5. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

wow, Thats cool that Lone Wolf and Cub has a manga, ive only seen the live action series and also Vagabond is based on Musashi Miyamoto who was played by Toshiro Mifune in the Samurai movie trilogy. I'll definately have to look into those 2.

6. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Does the Samurai Champloo manga start where the anime left or does it start from the beginning?

And i agree, Vagabond and LW&C is better tho i love the BoTI art style and the story is somehow tasty tho still not as the other two.

And i've never understood the difference between these 2 mangas are, SIPMK and PMK. Is it the same story or ar the character the same? I think i had one of SIPMK's chapters and it really looked like PMK :/

7. spinstate chop'em down

Samurai Executioner is another manga created by same duo who did Lone Wolf & Cub, they did it a while before LW & C , havn't read it yet but here's some more info on it
    biguharuna

Lone Wolf & Cub is just amazing and definetly influenced samurai manga that came after it a lot , like blade of the immortal and Vagabond. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger though ^^

8. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

You should put it up :p

92', maybe I am for sure, though.

28 volumes long, I think. I read most of them and than I am buying the volumes again, becsaue I love the manga.

Sojiro, Enishi, Shisho and Kenshin are my favorites. The good thing about teh manga is that you didn't have to worry about the 5 different colours of Enishi's hair.

No I don't buy the manga. I get it here Mangass. I also get my Basilisk from here too.

Thanks.

9. 12456 Member

Sadly, the Samurai Champloo manga is just an adaption of the anime.

And from what I understand, PMK is a follow up to SIPM.

Eglacirion: I'm going to check out Samurai Executioner now, thanks!

10. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Omg, thank you! Think im going to order it as fast as i get my credit card back from my father -_-.

Enishi owns, really awesome and i love the arc his in. I want to see how good samurai Yahiko turned out to be and how it became with Sagara Sanosuke ;( In the last chapter Yahiko seemed pretty good.

Ah, but isnt the latest chapter released by mangass Chapter 52 ? X_X

Ah, kk. Thnx for the info.

And btw, volume 1 and 2 of Samurai Executioner can be found at #lurk.
    Link removed

11. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Well, I saw some of his fights inculding in Samurai X: Reflections. He was thrashing Kenshin and destroying everything with his swift strikes with his sword.
    Damn RAW's, thats where the RAWs are up to.

Seems like I have to renew my IRC chnnel account :S

EDIT : Maybe all of us can start reading the Samurai Excutioner manga togather, since its relativly new.

12. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Yahiko 4 teh people, id love to see a manga with him.

Do you have to register again or what iz teH problem?
    Yeah, ill download it tomorrow. It seems really intresting.

13. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

The problem is I am not really good with using an IRC channel. WHen I open MIRC a Evalualtion is up message comes up, so I press continue and everything is working well but than I went to Lurker went to the IRC Channel, and than went to tEek the Cat to get Samurai Executioner Volume 1, I found the message clicked copy and sent tha message I copied to the Lurk channel. Nothing came up.

14. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Anyone downloaded Samurai Executioner yet? The art & the 'small stories' in the storyline resembles Lone Wolf & Cub quite a bit. Really intresting, cant wait to see some more of it :O

15. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Yeah, I got a few pages downloaded. My friend is downloading the rest of it tonight.

16. Code Zoamelgustar

Unfortunatelyl sadly I haven't read any of the manga not already mentioned so I can't really reccommend any. Though I've read some non-conventional Samurai manga such as Gintama (really like this manga, it's more comedy and nothing to take serious and has a futuristic setting) and there's Kurogane (samurai gets mauled... doctor turns him into a robotic samurai, I only read a few chapters but I plan to read more).

I've read Vagabond(19 Volumes), Blade of the Immortal(14+ Volumes), Rurouroni Kenshin(All 28 Volumes), Samurai Deeper Kyo (first few chapters), Lone Wolf and Cub(just started yesterday, read 1st chapter), and Peace Maker Kurogane(read 1st chapter).

I'd rank them as 1. Vagabond / Blade of the Immortal (Like them equally) 2. Rurouni Kenshin (I don't like them nearly as much as the 1st 2 but it can be very good at times)

One of my gripes with Kenshin is the fact that I don't like the main character... and the fact that he puts a girl I find annoying first above all... While Takezo(Kojiro is cool also... the real one) and Manji are simply awesome IMO... Side characters like Sanosuke and Saitou are simply awesome IMO... and Vagabond and BotI has its fair share of good side characters.

I also enjoy the story of both throughout though the flashback part of Vagabond, there were some parts I didn't like but other parts of it I really enjoyed and it was necessary... And with BotI, well I like revenge stories... and it's a manga where I can really like some of the "villians." As I already stated with Kenshin, some parts are very good, and other parts I didn't enjoy.

Well I can't really rank the rest as I need to read more to decide.

17. Chintsuzai The Messenger

Samurai Deeper Kyo
    PeaceMaker Kurogane
    Kenshin

SDK - I absolutely LOVE this manga and I am a proud fan of the anime as well. ^_^ I like both the different story lines in the anime and manga and I would recomend this to everyone =D lol

Peacemaker - Loved this one too. The story can be really serious or cute depending on the chapter.. just hope that they come out with more of them soon.. ;_;

Kenshin - didn't care for this one ^^; it was okay I guess... but too much of a love story for me..

18. GeniusShikamaru Member

For those who only seen things like Kenshin and Kyo. Forget that. Its crap compared to Vagabond, Lone Wolf and Cub, and Blade of the Immortal.

I like to buy rather than dl manga. And i like dl anime rather than buy it :p. I own 20 volumes of Vagabond released by Viz in english. Out of all the manga I have ever read it is without a doubt in my heart the best one. Alot more realistic and fighting is amazing. To elaborate in more on the poor details so far that i've read here I'll say this:

Vagabond is based on the book Musashi. I dont remember the author and too lazy to look it up. The book is based on the life of the sword saint Musashi Miyamoto(shimen takezo). The manga is both fiction and non fiction. Since some of the fights had to be hyped up and such things. From searching the internet I had found out the mangaka took a "break" some time last year around july-august. I dont know if he has returned to making it yet or not. The last volume released in english was 20. And in Viz.com i dont see volume 21's release date anytime soon. If someone knows if the manga is back on track please tell.

SDK I bought vol3 and thought it was good. Then i got the anime and thought it was crap. Based on only the anime I didnt like SDK at all. If i get around to reading it I'll repost as to what I thought of the manga.

Kenshin I have seen all the anime's and ovas for it. Its good. But the main character is quite lame with his vow not to kill anymore. Most of the cooler characters are teh enemies he faces like Shishio and Soujiro.

Saw that someone posted of a Samurai Champloo manga. Although this is new news to me I would say the first couple volumes will be a direct port of the anime like most manga based anime and vice versa. Unless it continuos after the anime like Trigun Reloaded did after those volumes I doubt there is much to look forward to in this manga.

Although not actually a samurai manga but rather more of a knights and monsters, I would say Berserk is very good too.

19. Code Zoamelgustar

Author is Takehiko Inoue and I believe he resumed May 19th on the manga and brought it back weekly (it was bi-weekly) before.

20. skunkworks Member

Pek, mind spoiling me? How does Lone Wolf and Cub end? PM me if you want. Thanks.

21. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Spoiler: Ending of the Lone Wolf & Cub
    Itto (the lone wolf) dies , after killing almost the whole yagyu clan, and Daigaro takes the tip of a spear and attacks Retsudo. Retsudo doesnt seem to make any resistance and Daigaro spear gets him and Retsudo starts to squeeze Daigaro and says:
    "...Of my heart, grandson"

And it ends there. Itto has slaughtered the whole Yagy? except Retsudo, even their 'zUperEliTe' ninja's "The Grass" is slaughtered.

Just before Itto fights the Grass an undercover grass turn up and 'repair's itto's worn out katana but also makes a crack on it so while Itto fights the Grass he sword brakes so he is damaged before fighting Retsudo.

22. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Hey pek, You should check out AfroSamurai:

23. GeniusShikamaru Member

Cool thanks for the info. Do you where I can get the scanlation if there are any?:laugh
    I was to lazy to look up teh author:XP

24. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Its looks really intresting, a tad of 'teen character design' like in Bleach, a character design and style that attracts people that usually dont read manga but at the sametime with a dark theme. :O

are scanlating it, tho it was a while ago they released anything. Latest released are volume 19.

25. 12456 Member

"Afro Samurai is a creative collaboration between the Japanese animation company GDH (owner of Gonzo production), Samuel L. Jackson, and Takashi 'Bob' Okazaki" ... :huh

Later on I read that Samuel L. Jackson is to stand for the voice part of the main character. A great marketing ploy to do, to put it like they did. It certainly sparked some curiosity in me.

To be honest, at first sight it doesn't look that good. While I greatly enjoy brush work making an appearance in comic art once more the overall design is a tad too stylized for my taste. Also, the story; After reading what is presented at the site, seems traditional, to say the least. And this is no way a compliment, I'm afraid. I could've also done without another one of those "doll/plushie" characters (although this one takes an interesting spin by being mixed with the other clich?, the tough loner).

However, the concept in its own is at least half original (I can't go full out here, the character work does make me think of Samurai Champloo, although this series appears to take place in a more technological advanced setting) and I would be foolish not to at least give it a chance. Afterall, even if the story does seem like it's taking the direction of the 'same old' that we have seen and read countless amounts of times, (or at least it seems that way) the setting could quite possibly put an unexpected and elegant spin on it. I certainly hope it will be so. One could also say that it is way too early for me to judge the story by the minimal outlining it gets on the site, and that is by all extents true.

It might seem odd for me to say this, but I think this could actually be more interesting to see in the live action movie version that they were hinting on at the site. That is, if done right.

26. Keido Lost

Vagabond is cool and interesting
    Blade of immortal is cool and bloody ^^
    Rurouni Kenshin is for -15 =]

27. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Oh, i missed that part. I hope this isnt BS just to get some attention, it would pwn if it was THE Samuel L. Jackson and not some japanese dude with same name >.>

You can set ages for manga's. Its more about taste.

28. 12456 Member

Well, I wouldn't doubt it IS about getting attention and raising interest. Still, I also think it really is the very same Samuel L. Jackson (I don't think they would stoop quite as low as just including some guy with the same name to get attention) that we have gotten to know in some spectacular movies (and in some very not quite so spectacular). It is however, nothing to get all that excited about though, since he's only doing a voice as previously mentioned.

29. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

I can't find it. Where did you find it?

I just have to see this if Samueal L. Jackson is with this.

30. Crowe inactive - most of the time

Byakuya:

If they are hiring Samuel L Jackson, i guess they are ready to throw money on this project. With superb animation, nice fighting scenes etc :drool