1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Voting is open in the KCC Haiku Contest!
    Entries can be found here.
    The poll closes on August 24th at 2:59pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice
  5. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest 6!
    Deadline for entries: September 08th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice

Sasuke's 'new' personality (spoilers?)

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by tsunade1095, Oct 17, 2006.

1. tsunade1095

If you watched far enough you know about Sasuke and Orichimauru and the curse seal. But I was just wondering what everyone thinks of it. I personally don't like the 'new' personality. I guess it's becuase I like Sasuke more as good person. But fighting Naruto and going to Orichimaru? Well it seems it just had to happen but I kinda miss hum. Well, I'm just curiouse for opions. :) Thanks!

Tags:
  2. sunshine and gasoline

Sure his new personality is a bit cliche but I still find it too badass for me to dislike it. In fact I am pleased that he's been so convinced and fanatic about his goal thus far; makes him a bit scary.

I'm more concerned about him suddenly becoming completely "good" like Sai.

3. aCKs3r

the way he explains his reasoning for giving everything to oro later in the manga just shows that he really has nothing to live for except his brothers death by any means. i assume he is going to get progressivily worse unless naruto and sakura are able to show him something that is worth living for.

4. theleaningelm

To me, it's not that he's so much "badass" as he is brainwashed. He doesn't react emotionally to Naruto (or to anything else), he gives soundbyte answers as to why he's doing what he's doing(which don't add up logically), and he submits to Orochimaru like a lamb when he fought Kakashi's tutelage every inch of the way. There is something very, very wrong with the boy *shudders to think what he went through under Orochimaru*.

5. breakbeat oratory

The boy is more disturbed forcibly rather than just making a change. I mean, I know that's not where the plot ends up going, but that's my two cents on the situation.
    I never liked Sasuke anyway.

6. Jessie

:nod Yeah I agree with that, I must admit I don't like the way Sasuke's going but as I always say I hope Sakura & Naruto get through to him on time. But if he dies the uchiha clans gone forever, :notrust coz I highly doubt Itachi will do that.

7. Kakuzu

He could be acting emotionally detached from everything in order to remain focused on his goal. I think he is afraid that if he has any feelings for Naruto and Sakura, that he will lose focus on revenge. Maybe he wants to go back to his friends, but won't let himself because he also wants to kill Itachi.

8. Splintered

There is way too much that goes into his "new" personality than to just say I like it or not. Sasuke is one of the more disturbed individuals who's past makes it very difficult for allow himself to live a happy life. He's probably plagued with post traumatic stress disorder and survivor's guilt. You don't survive your entire family being slaughtered without some issued. Even more so, you don't survive being mindraped by your brother without some sincere anger issues.

Sasuke is singleminded in his determination to get Itachi. With Naruto around, he was starting the change, but his brother reminded him of what happened. I don't like it, I was rather annoyed with what he did. But it doesn't mean that I can't exactly say that I can judge him for feeling what he feels.

9. Sasuke_Power

hmm. the personality is dark which i like but then again sasukes my favorite character.
    Do you think it wise that sasuke kill Orochimaru? Sasuke is lookin for power but im not sure that was the best way to obtain it. I mean joining orochimaru or course

10. Arsenalous

I think sasuke did what he had to do. i undertsand his character completley, & his tradigc backstory, one poster brought up some valid points. if he would of stayed friends with naruto, saukura, kakashi & other genin's in konha,

he would never become strong, so he could of accomplished his goal. witch is very true. i love what sakkon tells saskue before he goes & decides to join orochimaru, " if you stay in this village, you will never become strong, you will be like everyone else" witch s also true.

you got to remeber that the characters in kanaha all walk a path, some the same path, others thier own path, but sasuke's charater walks a different path than everyone in kanaha. not everybody walks the same path, i don't know why people think that everybody walks the same , cause people don,t.

not everybody in life thinks, the same, acts the same. this also why i love sauskes character alot . you just have to understand his chatacer & where he's coming from, if not than youll never understand sauske character at all.

11. Telling Lies

I really like Sasuke. He's only this way because he really wants to kill his brother. You can't blame him for getting a little offish. You can tell he still cares for Naruto and Sakura. So Sasuke is still cool in my book.

(I love the way Naruto yells Sasuke's name, it sounds cool)

12. tsunade1095

Yes, though I miss Sasuke, it's not his fault. He just wanted to get revenge. And of course he still cares for his friends. I guess I found it sad for a character to leave. I'm glad he didn't kill Naruto for the mateko sharigan. (spelling?)

13. tsunade1095

Oh, and Thanks for your replies everyone. :)

14. CyberPunk

I think Itachi's return sort of disillusioned Sasuke. His eyes were open to the reality of his situation amongst all the idealistic bullshit he had been fed up until that point; exactly what he said to Naruto before their battle at the VoTE. His "new" personality is completely understandable and most of all, realistic.

15. Gaara's Aprentice

Well, Sasuke's personality did change from quiet to pretty fuckin' violent. :sasuseal

16. elanor19

well, I can understand the seek for vengance of sasuke, his will to kill Itachi, but he's way too egoist, doesn't he knows what will happen after he gives his body to orochimaru? lots of people would die in orochimaru's hands, and other people would be in the same situation as sasuke was, without family. But he doesn't give a ... about all this, he only wants the death of his brother without thinking in others.
    I have never liked sasuke, he's very conceited, but he was cool and cute, time to time.
    He's being exactly the same as his brother.
    And after alll whats the point in kill Itachi without his proper soul, I mean if oro takes sasuke's body, how will he know if itachi dies?
    I like naruto the most!!!

17. theleaningelm

Exactly, elanor. That's the biggest hole in Sasuke's logic--just because he gives his body to Orochimaru doesn't mean that Oro has any obligation at all to kill Itachi for him. It's probably nowhere on the agenda for him :p

18. Narutonewb

Wasn't stated by Kakashi by relieing on his CS he would end up stunting his growth as a ninja, preventing him from ever beat Itachi?

19. McRiff

hmmm, the cursed seal is a deterrent Sasuke would become much more powerful without it. I think even almost consumed by it and Orochimaru Itachi would slaughter him due to his insane jutsus's.

20. 0ne Winged Angel

Mhm, which actually makes more sense. Everything we've seen so far in the anime points to those who have someone/something to fight for that's important to them actually increases their fighting ability far beyond what they could have before. As far as staying in the village is concerned, it isn't necessarily the village that would keep him down, but the lack of an appropriate teacher for him. Kakashi would have been fine up to a point, but i believe that Sasuke has already become even/surpassed him, thus Kakashi wouldn't have been the best teacher for him. (note: everyone else has a 1-1 teacher to help them grow more).

I understand Sasuke's reason for leaving, unfortunately i don't believe sasuke is acting about not having feelings toward Naruto. Oro has prolly brainwashed him beyond belief to minimize the risk of him leaving. furthermore, i do believe however that Sasuke has latent feelings towards Naruto that will surface later in the series. i believe Sasuke might rejoin team7 if itachi informs him that Sasuke won't actually be killing him even if oro did manage to kill itachi with sasuke's body. but i dunno, i just hope Sasuke comes back

21. theleaningelm

Agreed, although I would just like to point out one thing. Sasuke may not in fact be on par with Kakashi. There're no signs of Sasuke reaching that level, only Sasuke's own cockiness in believing that noone in the village can surpass him (because he is the All Knowing Twelve Year Old Uchiha Male =.=). So I don't believe that it is Kakashi who drove him away--the man spent more time with Sasuke than with any other member of the team; it's Sasuke's own mindset that prevented him from accepting Kakashi as a teacher.

22. des_butterfly

Isn't it reported that Kabuto and Kakashi have roughly the same amount of power and skill?

And I think Sasuke could beat Kabuto, so he may very well be able to take Kakashi.

Anyway, it wasn't lack of capable teachers in Konoha holding Sasuke back. He left because he was becoming too attached to his team, and they were pulling him away from his goal of killing Itachi. Kakashi might have been able to make Sasuke stronger, but he (and Naruto and Sakura) also made Sasuke more concerned with protecting them and caring for them than hating and seeking to destroy Itachi. So Sasuke left in order to break away from that influence, although it's not certain that Orochimaru will help Sasuke in his goals either.

23. theleaningelm

...Wait. Now I'm really confused. Are we talking Sasuke at the time of the current arc, or Sasuke when he left Konoha? :blink

24. Arsenalous

i think the place where you stay at & the people you live around on a daily basis , does have somekind of effect on you, & in sauske' case it was a negative effect. i love what sauske said to naruto at the end of the sauske retrival arc.

naruto: wake up already

sauskue: i have already awakened, awakend from dreaming about an idodic future, or staying with friends who are used to peace, thats why i left the village, thats why i sought power,

my dream doesen't exist in the future, my dream lies in the past, thats the only place where it exist's.

sauske's life is not the same as naruto, saukura, kakashi ect. there all happy go lucky used to peace kind of people, sauske's not. it doesn't matter if naruto, sakura, kakashi ect, can handle their problems better than sauske,

sauske is not used to peace & happyness, his past life has shown nothing of it. so why all of a sudden does he need to get in the same lifestyle as everybody in kanaha, when sauske himself is on a completly different path.

its like if your in school, & you are you own self but everybody is different from you, is it nessasary to change your self to just fit in with everybody elses mold, NO! you stay on the path that your on & not go on anybody elses path.

man i love these types of disscussions i can just debate like this this all day.

25. theleaningelm

Sorry, yes, Naruto is simple-minded, yes, Sakura is sheltered, but uh, Kakashi? The man's father committed suicide when Kakashi was still young. He went through the horrors of war at fourteen, if not younger. He watched his best friend die in front of him. He's seen immeasureable bloodshed and seen countless comrades fall in battle. Happy-go-lucky and used to peace? :blink I'm not sure we're talking about the same character.

Neither has Naruto, who's never had family. The Kyuubi attack fifteen years ago alone would put half of Konoha in the same boat as Sasuke, in that they went through a traumatizing event, not to mention other tragedies that have happened to many of the characters.
    However, Sasuke has been shown nothing but support and respect from the citizens of Konoha. Compare that to what Naruto's been given. He hasn't had to "suddenly" adapt to Konoha's ways, he's lived it for all of his life. It's not the hand of life that was dealt to Sasuke that drove him to Orochimaru, he made the choice out of free will. You're giving him the same excuse he's given himself: I am not in control of my own life, therefore I have no choice but to choose this particular route. Oxymoron much?

26. des_butterfly

Support and respect for Sasuke from Konoha?

Uh...when was that dude?

We see Sasuke getting 1) random fangirls because he is hot. that ain't support or respect, sorry. And 2) ...I dunno. I'm drawing a blank.

Fangirls does not equal support and respect.

And Itachi is the one driving Sasuke's life, and he will continue to drive it until Sasuke kills him or is able to stop loving/hating him.

27. theleaningelm

:blink I'm...pretty sure I didn't mention fangirls anywhere.

Memory's a little fuzzy, but I don't remember anyone who didn't use -kun when addressing Sasuke (bar Naruto, but that's because he doesn't use honorifics for anyone other then Sakura). Shikamaru, if memory serves me, didn't earn a -kun until after he passed the chuunin exam. Naruto only gets it from Hinata. Sign of respect right there.

Kakashi definitely had respect for Sasuke's abilities, as do all of his opponents and (most of) his teammates. When Sasuke was thinking about leaving, Kakashi gave him more than one friendly warning, as well as an offer to help w/ any issues Sasuke had.

As for the support issue, we're not talking about nauseating neighbors who send pot-roast to feed the "poor little dear". How easy would it be for Sasuke to go the way of Naruto? Itachi obviously left Sasuke alive for a reason--would it be to kill him in the future on a thrill, or maybe he's spreading some secret agenda through Sasuke? If they show such a fear of a sealed kyuubi, why would they not have reason to fear what may amount to the puppet of an S-class missing nin still running free? Just the fact that they know about his past and still accept him is a huge measure of support and understanding.

28. Subside

I think most people could see that from day one Sasuke always had a darkness in him. When we learned his backstory we finally understood his reasoning for being so bitter and unattached to anyone, seeing ones entire family slaughtered by none other than a sibling is going to create deep psychological scars.

Of course if he didn't change and become Orochimaru's apprentice so to speak, we would have somewhat of a less interesting story, yes there is the Akatsuki but im also interested to see how Sasuke's story will turn out aswell.

I recall someone saying that he does Orochimaru's bidding, but notice that he has not once called him "sensei" nor does he wear a Sound headband like Kabuto meaning that he does not aknowlage him as a teacher nor that he is a part of the sound clan. I believe that Sasuke is only using Orochimaru for power and will finish him off. But that remains to be seen.

29. des_butterfly

Respect for the Uchiha name does not neccessarily equate to respect for Sasuke himself as a person. And really, a suffix is a very hollow kind of respect anyway. When Kakashi says "Sasuke-kun" he uses it in a mocking way.

Well yeah. Because Kakashi loves Sasuke. And all of Team Seven. What does this have to do with post-massacre seven year old Sasuke, anyway? There's no indication at all that Kakashi had even MET Sasuke until he became part of Team Seven. I already said that Team Seven gave Sasuke the support he'd been lacking. Did you even read what I wrote?

Or a huge measure of "The Uchihas were really powerful and beneficial to Konoha once, let's make sure we keep the one we've got". And it's pretty clear that the townspeople don't fear Naruto all that much, otherwise why piss off a demon that could kill them pretty easily? They resent him or despise him for reminding them of all they lost.

Itachi only killed the Uchiha Clan, and has no interest in hurting Konoha. As far as everyone esle is concerned, they have nothing to fear from Itachi unless they happen to be an Uchiha, and Sasuke is the only Uchiha left apart from Itachi. Konoha would have been rather stupid to kill or restrain Sasuke just because he was a survivor of a massacre, seeing as how they would lose any chance to control an ancient bloodline limit.

30. theleaningelm

Adding the suffix to Sasuke's name does not equate respect for the Uchiha name. Neither Sakura nor Naruto knew about the Uchiha clan, and yet they respect Sasuke. If a suffix is such a hollow form of respect, it would either be used universally or only sarcastically. For example, I address you as "you", but it doesn't mean anything, because its original formality has been lost through overuse. If -kun is so overused, then why do only certain characters get it?

And where did Kakashi mock Sasuke, so that I can reread that part?

I did. And which was why I brought it up--evidence that team seven does in fact support Sasuke: evidence that you wanted me to provide in the first place.
    I do remember Iruka getting about the same amount of "support" right after his crisis, so I have no idea what you're referring to. There are other things that happen during crisis management--looking after orphaned seven-year-olds is not, contrary to popular belief, all that the ANBU does.

Because the other "last Uchiha" murdered an entire sector of the village. And whom we're trying to kill now. Oh right, preserve the Uchiha line indeed. And this one isn't trying to commit suicide by taking on an S-rank missing nin before he can get to a reproductive age, nor is he in any way mentally unstable.

Good point, actually. (<--mixed up fanon with canon...idiot)

Itachi killed the Uchiha clan completely out of the blue. If he can kill his own clan in cold blood, what could he possible squilch at, in the villagers' eyes? Remember, we know about Itachi's restraint because we've seen him in action. What have the citizens of Konoha seen? Nothing except that a brilliant, soft-spoken genius one day murdered almost every single member of his own family for no apparent reason. 'If he can do that to his own family members, who says he can't do it to us?' would be the thought.

But we do have evidence that the sharingan eye can function perfectly well in a non-Uchiha, and cloning is very much possible in Konoha. Why do we even need an Uchiha alive, when both of these can create an entire strain of Uchiha, rather then wait a few decades to slowly grow a small, extremely inbred clan?