1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Search Function FAQ

Discussion in 'Rules and Frequently Asked Questions' started by Reznor, May 9, 2005.

1. Reznor Supporting Staff

If search doesn't work read this link:

[/URL]

Allies
    ******​

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Shikamaru-sama

The Search Function

After reading Wrath's diatribe i noticed he pointed out the use of the search function.

Why?

Mods always point this out like it is some kind of ideal solution, when truth is it is utter utter crap.

Is it possible that it just searches thread titles instead of doing a content search aswell?

3. Smitty

unless NarutoFan modded it just to do that, then no, it searches the whole post.

You can, however, select it to only find thread titles (i think) and users posts

4. metronomy

The search button does work, if you know how to use it properly.

On the topic of Wrath's lovely new thread, I'd just like to say I disagree with Gooba closing the topic, and also the way he went about it, I don't see how this helps the current situation.

5. Reznor Supporting Staff

It isn't perfect. In fact it sucks.

Though, you can search just the title in the search function.

The mods have to mod all the users on the board, so doing simply searchs is enough.

For instance, if you wanted to make a thread for Gai and Kabuto v. Orochimaru, searched the Battledome and didn't find it because it was titled GUY + KABU V. OROSHIMARU!!!! and didn't turn up, that is pefectly acceptable.

But if you search something that probably was done, and didn't search anything - that's when a mod gets annoyed (as s/he has to deal w/ alot of those)

There is obviously some gray area to that, but moral is: just take a few seconds to probe for pre-existing threads on your topic :thumbs

6. Shikamaru-sama

^ i agree with FAM

But if someone gets their wrist slapped for posting a duplicate thread about the Akatsuki...then..the search function canthelp them at all. WOuld you like to dare typing in Akatsuki?

Its unfair of the mods/admins to expect a user to trawl through 500 thread titles just to make their job a little easier.

perhaps maybe a 'Scroll of how to use the Search Function' post might be necessary? i certainly cant use it it seems. Even defining a search is generally pointless as the content search just goes crazy.

edit: i didnt notice the search by thread titles actually...maybe a FAQ on the search function or something may be a good idea?

7. Reznor Supporting Staff

Alright. It'll be uip today or tommorow. I want to see if I can get the search function to get fixed. (You are right, though. Common words can't be searched.... at all, no matter how much you refine the search.

E.g. Suppose I search all posts by Reznor, Today containing the word "Naruto" .... this is the only post that meets that criteria.... BUT the search engine first searchs all threads about Naruto, then narrows it down. But "Naruto" is too common that it would clog up the engine.)

8. The Sandwich Prince

A FAQ might work for the sake of being doing it, if they'll really search. Usually it doesn't really require that much effort during most periods (Namely when the raw/new episodes come out) since people can scroll down the first page, but eh.. I'm starting to think that the aggressive way might be the right way since people tend not to bother to read the rules.

If it takes minor punishment to get someone's attention then maybe it isn't so bad. The aggressive stance just didn't work well for Wrath.

9. metronomy

The mods and admins on this board are turning into a bunch of elitist wankers.

Wrath is a twat, have you seen the post he added to his "announcement thread." :/

I agree that people need to informed about duplicate threads, however it was handled in an unethical way. If you look at most of the people whom complained about the thread, they hadn't ever even posted a duplicate thread.

Now, that must mean something.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  10. Procyon

Speaking of this, the search function isn't working!1 ><

11. Gooba

Advanced Search, it is as old as this place.

What current situation? The fact that people are posting multiple threads on the same thing? It helps it by making people respect the rules, as opposed to not. If you are talking about the situation of people being pissed they need to spend 3 seconds before they make a new thread to read the front page, then I don't care. He isn't even asking you to search 10 pages back, just the front one. It can literally be done in 3 seconds.

Anyways, I no longer have powers over there so it is out of my hands.

EDIT: rez, use the new step 2, I have no clue why imageshack blew the other one up.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  12. skmt999

Oldie, but goodie. I wish more people would use common sense.

13. Sayo

lol, type yuri FC and you get yaoi FC a the #1 option, the actually yuri FC is found on page 3 of the searches :s

14. chunks

EDIT: nevermid, it works

15. micronesia

Search not working fully...

When I do a search by user for my name (micronesia) it lists most of the threads I have participated in. However, it did not list any of the threads from House of Uzumaki, even though I had (search all open forums) selected. Then I did the same search except I selected to search House of Uzumaki specifically instead of all open forums, and then it returned the missing threads. Is there a property of search I am not understanding, or should I just not rely on it so much?

16. Kucheeky Badkuya

So, you are trying to find threads you posted in?

If so, just go to your profile and click 'find all posts' all of your posts will be there and than find the psot you were looking for.

If you are trying to find a username, just go to member list and find the user. If you wanna find that users posts, just click 'find all posts' than find teh post you were looking for.

If you click 'search' and type a username the only results are going to be threads were that username was stated in a post. It won't go to all of that users posts.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  17. micronesia

Yes.

That is a good idea. I should probably just do that rather than play with search all the time.

That is why I did an advanced search. It was actually working except for the problem where I needed to specify 'House of Uzumaki' in order for it to return results from there. It won't be a problem if I follow your suggestion, but there still is no explanation for why that happens...

18. micronesia

On second thought, if I click on 'find all posts by this user' that isn't sufficient because it doesn't allow me to show the results as threads.....I am at a loss :sad

19. Hermie

click on the headline of the post, that brings you to the thread, focused on your post. :)

20. micronesia

That doesn't really solve the problem :blink

21. Hermie

aah, I misread, thought you couldnt access the thread where the post was. But that really is the only way to find the threads you've posted in...

22. micronesia

Well what I do at other vbulletin forums is do an advanced search for all posts by user X (searching for myself) and return results as threads. Then I read all the new posts in each thread that has new content. This has always worked fine until I noticed earlier today that it excluded results in a forum that I didn't expect it to.

In case anyone is lost, my question is why doesn't the search function search the 'house of uzumaki' forum when 'search all open forums' is selected?

23. micronesia

I think I finally figured out what the problem is. I am doing an advanced search by user name, and selecting 'find posts by user' instead of 'find threads started by user'. The problem is that even though I am selecting the former option, it is still implementing the latter. Either this is an error in the forum or I am missing something else.

24. micronesia

Now, it seems like I can avoid the problem by unchecking 'use exact name'. I have no idea why it isn't working right...but at least it seems to be doing what I want. This is something an admin probably should look into, but I guess it isn't a must.

25. Jonas

Lol reznor, do you got Win2k/98 ? :laugh

26. Aman

Why isn't this closed? :amuse

27. vanh

Reznor hasn't answered Jonas's question yet Aman

28. Just Another human

I dont know where else to go .each time i make a post now it repest 3 times sometimes even 4 And i dont know wat do each time i make a post i have to go back and delet the other 1s its so fristraying >< :mad

29. Just Another human

I dont know where else to go .each time i make a post now it repest 3 times sometimes even 4 And i dont know wat do each time i make a post i have to go back and delet the other 1s its so fristraying >< :mad

30. Just Another human