1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Anime Awards for 2017 part 3 commences with genre awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Sen. Warren says she isn't running for president in 2020

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by EJ, Mar 13, 2018.

1. EJ ely wins

hmmmm

Tags:
  2. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    She'll be 71 in 2020, so probably for the best. 'nuff with the gerontocracy plz.

3. EJ ely wins

Being in one's 70s is one of the dumbest reason to state someone shouldn't run for office.

4. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Trump was already the oldest president ever elected, being 70 when he was first elected. Do we really want to keep pushing the record to see how long we can take it before someone dies in office?

The retirement age in the U.S. is 65-67, and the life expectancy is 78. That should be some indication of the desirable age range.

IIRC the median age among leaders of the Top 10 economies is mid-60's.

5. EJ ely wins

I don't believe 70 specifically is a deal breaker.

Having a competent leadership within office should take priority, and having the right people ready to take over in regards to their health or untimely death as well.

6. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Fixed.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. EJ ely wins

If he shows health issues in which he wouldn't be able to be President, I obviously wouldn't want him to run.

I don't believe he should also serve a life-long Presidency either and spinelessly excuse it on behalf of the economic growth of the country. :catface

8. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    But you're kind of admitting you're part of a Bernie cult of personality because you're willing to tailor the presidential profile to fit that one specific person, instead of coming up with the profile first and then looking for a suitable candidate.

Without any regard for what kind of precedent it sets for future septuagenarian presidents.

At some point you need to accept that Sanders is not going to be President of the United States. Your allegiance should be to the left-wing "movement" within the Democratic Party generally and not to him as an individual.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. EJ ely wins

Ok, I'll wait for you to find any recent post I have made that state that 70 year olds shouldn't be able to run for office.

If not, are you going to admit this was a reach?

10. EJ ely wins

@mr_shadow, I have stated beforehand that there should be other individuals that should be looked at if they support the same policies Bernie Sanders does on the off-chance that his health/age or other problems do become an issue. But currently, I widely back him because he hasn't shown signs of inadequacy for his health, and has largely been of the same mindset and supported the same policies he was for years back.

I also back him because he's currently the most liked politician in America, extremely charismatic, and believe he is (for right now) the best individual to utilize to get the country to vote in opposition against Donald Trump based upon how he has decided to back specific policies: not neglecting red-states, or the districts have widely voted Republican and for Donald Trump. These same policies are ones in which he has not wavered upon, as well either. In regards to my earlier post, you won't see me saying anything recently in regards to a 70-year-old running for office. That was a reach on your end to act as if I'm 'tailoring the presidential profile', one in which I have never gone out of my way to set on those terms.

On another point, it's quite comical watching you try to lecture others on them widely backing a candidate based upon policies, while you're busy excusing the dictatorship of China.

11. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    70 is just s number. There are several members in congress who are pushing well in there 200’s, if they can make it as Congress who not to the White House as well.

12. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    You seem pretty intent on Draining the Swamp, so I'm puzzled why as a young person (younger than me!) you don't think there's any problem with electing people who are that much older than the general population. The Democratic Party is generally supposed to be the party of youth and progress, isn't it?

Age of Democratic presidents on assuming office

Wilson - 56
    Roosevelt - 51
    Truman - 60
    Kennedy - 43
    Johnson - 55
    Carter - 52
    Clinton - 46
    Obama - 47

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. EJ ely wins

Not going to address everything I stated in full. But ok then:

Because I consider the policies that they support for and if they are connected with what is best for this country. Being a younger President doesn't mean shit if the policies that they are for or against proves to be inadequate or insufficient. Anything else?

14. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

How about "she's going to be 71, maybe she doesn't want to deal with the BS of a presidential election?"

Though in fairness, saying "I'm not running for president in 2020" in 2018 is hardly correlated to who actually runs in 2020.

15. Mider T VM Rapist

What do you know about his health? The only time we hear about Congresspeople's health is when they have cancer or involved in some serious accident. And even so, he's just going to be older in 2020 and beyond.

Silly argument.

16. Normality venus

lol look at your favorite homegirl in india a few days ago.

17. Huey Freeman The Gent

"I hope these old fossils dies so the young take over with fresh ideas!"

-Pushes and support old as dirt candidates!

Never change nigga never change

18. Onomatopoeia In a word: Brilliant

I wouldn't have voted for her anyway. If I were going to vote it would be for Oprah. I know nothing about Oprah's politics, but I know she's Oprah.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Sad! x 1
    • List
  19. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    While the president is bound by term limits, senators aren't.

Patrick Leahy (D) has been representing Vermont since 1975, for 43 years.

20. Huey Freeman The Gent

How about we wait and see and support the candidates who push the right policies this time? So the DNC have to pick the correct candidate this time around.

21. EJ ely wins

22. Mider T VM Rapist

23. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    It’s the American system. The election for 2020 began on November 9th 2016. News like to throw random names out there for fun.
    I for one think that Bill Gates will be the DNC’s pick. What better way to follow a Republican billionaire’s presidency then with a Democrat one after all.

24. Subarashii Obaa-chan

Poland
    Maybe Vice President? :maybe

Age doesn't matter as long as their ideology isn't stuck in the 50's.

25. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    Gates/Warren 2020 :noworries

26. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

27. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

28. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    That if you're not from a Swing State and you don't antagonize your party in the primaries, it's quite possible to have effective life tenure in the U.S. Congress, since there are no term limits.

Turns out 42% of Senators have been there for more than 10 years, and 17% for more than 20 years.

In the House you have 31% at more than 10 years and (here too!) 17% at more than 20 years.

29. Eros 同性愛者

France
    Catdank Faction:
    Bill Gates could also run with Andrew Cuomo, the Governor of New York. He would be a fine VP choice.

30. Island In the Sun

The most common life expectancy estimates, including the one you used, are life expectancy at birth. One's life expectancy increases as they get older by virtue of having survived the preceding years. A woman in the United States who is 71 years old, for example, has a life expectancy of 86, not 78.

See chart.

It's also worth mentioning that life expectancy data is collected across the entire population. It's a useful metric for the statistically average person but hardly for the richest and most powerful people in the country. On a similar note, the United States as a whole doesn't provide useful information for individuals because living standard ranges from Scandinavia-tier New England to Eastern Europe -tier Mississippi, the latter of which is notorious for .

Also, Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush are both 92 years old, Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan were both 93 when they died, and Richard Nixon was 81. Having access to the world's best medicine is a wondrous thing.

I'm sure if we pinned down the life expectancy of Elizabeth Warren's demographic (a white wealthy 68-year old New Englander), it will be significantly higher than the national average.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List