1. img
    We invite you to participate in the NF Christmas Event!
    Deadline to sign yourself up is December 8 at 6 PM UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Senate Begins Real Push on Habeas Corpus

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Distracted, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Distracted

found here:

dude.... it was voted 11 TO 8? Who the hell would vote against a bill like that? Can we put them on trial without Habeas Corpus!?!

Tags:
  2. That NOS Guy

That would be poetic justice since Republicans of late have been the greatest threat to the further existance of the Republic. Yes, even moreso then terrorists.

3. Distracted

it just amazes me who people think we're safer without our ability to stand a just trial.

If these people are truly guilty of crimes against america then WHY CAN'T WE LET THEM GO ON TRIAL?

There have been several cases of people being put in prison for periods of time that have absolutely nothing to do with crimes.

If we let one person lose their rights, we let all people lose their rights. It's one of those few times where it's all or nothing. As soon as you start thinking it's okay to abuse this right, or you can make an exception here you only lead down a slippery slope of tyranny.

4. Zodd

It's sad that the Republic is so rotted we actually have to FIGHT to get back habeas corpus. It should never have been given up in the first place.

A classic case of losing one's head in the midst of hysteria. 9/11 should not have changed anything.

5. AbnormallyNormal

yes this is a good thing, it is part of society waking up from the shock of terrorism and starting to re-examine our methodologies in combatting future horrific atrocities

6. drache

I just find it even more sad that one of those 8 was a presdential canidate. Hopefully the people have had enough, because we slipped dangerous close to a more totalitarian style goverment. Not to mention many now consider us a rogue nation (now there's irony)

7. AbnormallyNormal

yeah the GOP candidates are far too extreme for american public now, they are caught appeasing their lunatic base and will lose the election hopefully

8. Tsukimaru

Yeah, hopefully. There's still a relatively large group of people who would throw away all their rights in hopes that Big Brother would keep the Muslims away. Ignorance is a powerful weapon.

9. Distracted

hey hey, Ron Paul isn't like that. So not ALL of the republicans are insane... though honestly there isn't a single other republican I'd vote for.

10. drache

it is true, ignorance is bliss at least till the stormtroopers storm in.

11. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    Ignorance isn't bliss, it is fucking lethal. I hate only being able to watch while society spirals out of control. I can vote this year but I live in such a small state that it won't make that much of a difference the compared to the larger ones.

12. Tsukimaru

13. drache

You never know jetstorm were I live we've had some really close elections the last couple years (at least 3-4 elections that came down to a couple thousands in terms of difference)

Which means every vote there did count.

And I was being sarcastic hence the stormtrooper part.

14. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    ^But I live in fucking Delaware.:arg

Sarcasm is hard to see over the internet but I overlooked the stormtrooper bit. I guess that explains it.

15. drache

All good, and sounds like someone could use a hug or maybe a moving truck? :wink

16. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    ^I am good but I am still feeling the astonishment from what happened in the last election and what not. I sometimes wonder what this country is coming to.

I like Delaware and won't be moving for a few years. Just wish our state was worth more in the electoral college.

17. Tsukimaru

Duh? The reason you aren't worth more is because you aren't really people. You're some sort of half-person; demi-human. It's only natural that your opinion should count for less than people in, say, California or Texas.

On that note, I'm pretty sure a person's value has something to do with the amount of Starbucks stores in their vicinity.

18. Distracted

that is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. To give California, Texas, and New York a lesser vote would be to make them half-human or less. Sorry that they just happen to have the largest populations.

You do know that's how it works right? By Population?

If you want to talk about balancing out having every state able to make laws, that's why every state has 2 senators, 2 votes. In a state with a small population that is where you really need to pay attention. To the senate, where your voice is going to be most represented.

man... people have weird ideas about the voting system...

19. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    ^I am well aware of how the system works and I never said I wanted the other states to be worth less. The larger populations will have a larger voice and that is understandable.

The senate is all well good and I agree but it doesn't help when their actions get be vetoed by a certain individual.

20. Tsukimaru

Distracted, I don't think anyone suggested making the votes of highly populated states count for less. If you were directing that at me, my comment was obviously a joke, not that your reply would have made any more sense if I was serious, since not once did I suggest what you implied.

21. Distracted

Sorry if I didn't catch the joke, I've just heard similar arguments from people before and it makes no sense to me.

I still don't understand what you were talking about. I personally don't like the electoral college cause it does screw over voters a lot of the time and we really don't need it in our society as it is today...

but to claim you have less of a vote... I mean there are situations and people that get disenfranchised but blaming california and texas just struck a nerve I guess.

my apologies.

22. Tsukimaru

Haha, it's okay. I'm surprised about that, though. I think the point is merely just that: The electoral college, since the amount of votes per state are based on population, but do not accurately represent it, because there is often a discrepancy between the winner of the election, and the winner of the popular vote.

It is in this way that the system of the elector college is inherently flawed, as far as equality in votes is concerned, because someone who helps bring the majority vote in a "small" state might only secure 3-4 votes, whereas if someone helps bring the majority vote in a "large" state, like California, they secure dozens, and since the presidential election is decided on these electoral votes rather than the total popular vote, it becomes more important to live in a place like California or New York.

I hope that made sense. The only thing anyone suggested so far is that living in Delaware sucks, as far as electing a president is concerned.

23. AbnormallyNormal

what we need to do is try to convince other people to change their votes thats why i am so fervent on the internet about politics becuse i know my vote isnt enough