• NBDContest
    Come enter in the NBD Banner Contest !
    Deadline for entries is February 4 at 12:00 pm UTC.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Series you wish were written better?

Keishin

Soul Eater started off good but the closer it got to the anime ending and did its own thing, it was really lackluster.

Magi could have maybe somehow been hxh level but after the hogwarts arc it started doing weird things, bad long flashbacks and just a bad and generic last stretch that no one wants to remember.

Parasyte was always so close to being great but never went beyond expectations.

The World God Only Knows had a great premise and could have been great in many ways compared to harem series it was trying to not be like. Didnt work out.

Aduro

Definitely not a villain.
Cage of Eden. The extinct animals looked incredible, the landscapes were detailed enough to add to the action, and the setting blended with the story. Some excellent tits. Some well-set up mysteries.

But the characters were often a bit generic, and it didn't give satisfying answers to its mysteries. Yamada Yoshinobu in general is good at setting up a story and has no idea how to continue it without just blowing everything out of proportion.

Adamant soul

Bleach - The world that the series takes place in is really interesting and there are a lot of cool concepts. There are even a FEW good characters here and there and the first couple of arcs were pretty good. BUT after the Soul Society arc it rapidly began a downward spiral towards complete and utter shit (which started basically the second the Aizen reveal happened) from which it never recovered, in fact it only got worse.

D

Delta Shell 1

Bleach - The world that the series takes place in is really interesting and there are a lot of cool concepts. There are even a FEW good characters here and there and the first couple of arcs were pretty good. BUT after the Soul Society arc it rapidly began a downward spiral towards complete and utter shit (which started basically the second the Aizen reveal happened) from which it never recovered, in fact it only got worse.
Yep, this. I used to love Bleach but it became really hard to stick with.

321ice

Yeah Naruto(part 2), I loved it but it could of been even greater

I agree with Soul Eater.

& Dragon Ball. I don’t mind it but the general perception of it bugs me.. It’s world and characters are too cool just to be notorious only for its fighting.

Neon Genesis fell short for me.

Definitely more but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

Bleach is an obvious one as everyone and their grandmother knows that everything after the first arc gets progressively more and more lame.

Naruto was fine for me for a little over half its run time, really went to shit post Itachis death (not that he was a great character and his absence ruined the series, was just coincidence, he was garbage, feel the need to make this clear)

NNT is a big one for me in terms of recent series. I was really into it after checking out season 1 on a whim...Then literally everything after that gets more and more shitty. And the most recent season...Jesus...

Fate Stay Night is another one, mainly cuz I dont have the patience to check out the VN and the anime adaptation is garbage.

martryn

Dick in hand
Spoiler: Naruto
Pre-timeskip Naruto was almost perfect (or as close as a manga about 12 year old trained killer ninjas living in a secret village with unexplained politics and economy could be).

After the timeskip, though, everything was shit.

Akatsuki was mishandled. Secondary characters were tossed aside or forgotten. A bevy of new, mostly uninteresting characters were introduced that didn't really fit into the established mythos. And there arose an overwhelming focus on Uchihas, including the retconning of Itachi as a character, as if it is ever justifiable to murder your entire fucking family.

They should have had the former genin teams working together to overcome Akatsuki pairs. We needed a Shino, Hinata, and Kiba ANBU group. More of the tailed beast hosts should have been present, with various degrees of success or failure in rescuing or protecting them, Obito should have stayed dead (talk about a character that makes no sense), all the other characters should have stayed dead, and the final conflicts of the manga should have been between Orochimaru, Itachi, and the unnamed Akatsuki leader, as all three villains, in the pursuit of their own unique goals, come head-to-head with the various heroes.

Power scaling should have also been reigned in. A solid manga, like Fullmetal Alchemist, knows that you don't have to have insane power bloat to tell a phenomenal story.

Also, Genma should have been even more awesome.

I'll mention Fairy Tail also. Manga had a cool idea (wizard guilds and shit) but the entire thing was like a retooled One Piece. Instead of everyone having some devil fruit that gives them some gimmicky power, everyone knows only one brand of magic that gives them some gimmicky power. In something like Fullmetal Alchemist the alchemists might each have some sort of specialty, but in general you get the impression that any alchemist can perform any brand of alchemy if they practiced it or focused on it. It's not like they had bloodline abilities to perform that style of alchemy. Same with Naruto, minus the literal bloodline abilities. The ninjas had, perhaps, secret family jutsus, but there were generalist jutsus as well that they all sorta knew how to perform. Not so in Fairy Tail, where if your gimmick was fire, or ice, or metal, or making weapons or armor, or whatever the fuck it happened to be, that was literally the only fucking thing you were ever capable of doing. Just One Piece with a different skin. Fuck that.

Alita

Alita>You
Naruto. The series is probably the best example of wasted potential more than any other imo. Particularly when it comes to the world of naruto and the world building potential it had. It started out better than most if not all other series I have seen so it was even more disappointing how it ended up.

RavenSupreme

Nanatsu no Taizai pretty much visualizes everything which makes an amazing first big story arc to become one of the most popular, recognized and wideselling series...

Only to completely butcher it in anything afterwards.

Galo de Lion

Burning Firefighting Soul
Brand New Animal had a ton of potential, though towards the end it kind of fell flat when it tried doing Promare's twist but not as good. Would have prefered it if a certain someone remained a schemer.

Darling in the Franxx's ending...yeah. Should speak for itself.

Sloan

Supa Stacka
Promised neverland took a huge dip in quality after one of the best first arcs ever
I see a lot of people say this. I'm about 15 chapters behind, I stopped reading it and never finished it. But I thoroughly enjoyed the whole ride. That circus area/arc or whatever was called was beastly too imo.

Keishin

I see a lot of people say this. I'm about 15 chapters behind, I stopped reading it and never finished it. But I thoroughly enjoyed the whole ride. That circus area/arc or whatever was called was beastly too imo.
doesn't really matter what you enjoy when the fact is that the plotting becomes nigh nonexistant after the first 37 chapters are over. the story goes a full circle in those chapters and gets a soft reset once they go outside, and becomes like your standard shonen fare (action with each chapter being winged week after week instead of full storyboard planned beforehand).

The popularity of the series allowed it to go past the first arc, and then the next 200 chapters can easily be cut off and it'd only be better.

Sloan

Supa Stacka
doesn't really matter what you enjoy when the fact is that the plotting becomes nigh nonexistant after the first 37 chapters are over. the story goes a full circle in those chapters and gets a soft reset once they go outside, and becomes like your standard shonen fare (action with each chapter being winged week after week instead of full storyboard planned beforehand).

The popularity of the series allowed it to go past the first arc, and then the next 200 chapters can easily be cut off and it'd only be better.
What were you expecting differently? No hate, just genuinely curious and interested how others would have liked for it to go.

I've heard someone say before that they didn't like past the first arc for example because the "mystery" aspect of it got diminished.

Keishin

What were you expecting differently? No hate, just genuinely curious and interested how others would have liked for it to go.

I've heard someone say before that they didn't like past the first arc for example because the "mystery" aspect of it got diminished.

it is obvious the story should have ended after chapter 37, and left open-ended.

Sloan

Supa Stacka
it is obvious the story should have ended after chapter 37, and left open-ended.
I see.

As for the Op:

I think Kimi No Iru Machi could have been written better, remember dropping it around chapter 90ish.

Loved Toriko but the ending was rushed, that could’ve been better.

Loved Kimetsu No Yaiba but didn’t care for or to see the reincarnated characters in the end, could’ve been a better ending.

As Martryn said Fairy Tail could have been way better. Liked the character designs, world building and arc set ups but the fights were bad with the constant friendship is magic stuff.

JH24

Naruto fourth ninja war Arc: I was really into it back then but now I realize how badly written it was. Inconsistent pacing, annoying cliffhangers, cliché drama and the story jumped the shark with a certain plot twist. It had some great moments inbetween but I don't want to think too much about the rest.

Promised Neverland: I don't know what happened. I was so immersed in the beginning and suddenly there was a huge drop in quality. It felt like some of the magic was gone and it never captivated me in the same way again.

One Piece: I like One Piece and I'll always have a soft spot for it but some of the magic went missing. It took a long time to get the story going post-timeskip with drawn out arcs, unnecessary characters and convoluted storytelling. I feel it's getting better with Wano but I can't shake the feeling Oda could have been much further with the story if he had streamlined it better.

Nanatsu no Taizai: Ugh, I'm still not over how it ended. I'm getting frustrated again just thinking about it. So much potential. I was totally immersed around the time
Spoiler:
Meliodas lost his emotions
There was a feeling of excitement and there was a lot of discussion within the fandom.

And then it just went downhill with unexplainable writing choices, The story ticked off all the boxes of cliché storytelling and it honestly felt like the writer didn't care anymore.

I've read well-thought-out theories from other fans which would have done a much better job in giving closure to this series.

Last edited:

Ruthless Tsuchikage

Magi could have maybe somehow been hxh level but after the hogwarts arc it started doing weird things, bad long flashbacks and just a bad and generic last stretch that no one wants to remember.
Yeah its real tragic what happened to Magi. it was pretty much the most interesting anime on the market, only for the anime to just stop and the manga turning bad.

Top Bottom