1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow of Colossus

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by o0oEnderIlleso0o, Oct 10, 2005.

1. o0oEnderIlleso0o

I am sure this has been brought up somewhere within these forums before, but I wanted to take a second and reestablish what most everyone here already knows.

Shadow of the Colossus will be one of the greatest games of all time.

I just picked up the demo for this masterpiece and was blown away. I saw the game at E3 this past may and it stole the Sony show for me. Seeing it again rekindled my enthusiasm.

The mediocre graphics and few cheesy sound effects are easy to look past once one actually plays the game. In fact, the graphics actually begin to fit in perfectly with the game itself. The entire atmosphere of the game just feels rustic or ancient. Nothing is more breathtaking than taking out your first 30 story tall giant. This game is life changing.

For more details or check out

Tags:
  2. genjo sanzo

the demo is on a very old build, the graphics will be much tighter for the final product. Very excited about this game, I loved ICO, and the idea of only boss fights and roaming the huge beautiful landscapes sounds creative and friggin awesome.

3. mow

This is one of the very few games Im extremely hyped about. I cant wait for it's release. And frankly, Im quite pleased that the focus is on the gameplay rather than the graphics for a change.

And seriously, fighting a Colossus with simply a sword? I'm sold.

4. o0oEnderIlleso0o

Agreed. Like I said, I actually could care less if the graphics were the very same as in the early demo build. I think it works out perfectly.

I feel you moe. I haven't been itching to play a game like this for well over half a year.

5. Kojiro Ganryu Sasaki

It probably won't be able to reach the level of the current gaming giants (namely Thief 2 and System Shock 2), but looks like it might get close...

6. ShadelessNyght

I'm definatly with everyone in the fact that I can't wait for this game to come out. Right now my only problem is being short on money after ordering Naruto GNT4 and Pre-order on Soul Calibur 3. But as good as the demo was I may need to do somthing I normally never do and actually sell a few things to pick the game up.

7. pakku

I orgasm a little everytime I see this game's name, and I haven't even played ICO yet (need to find the damn thing). I'll definitely be getting Shadow of the Col--

ooooohhhhhh.

8. CrazyMoronX

I haven't seen much of the game, and haven't really been paying too much attention to it, but from what I've seen it seems interesting enough, I suppose.

I've never played ICO either, not sure if I'd like it, I may have to rent it sometime... But I'll keep my eyes open, since everyone here seems to think this game will be awesome.

9. Uchiha Inkatomi

I never got around to play this game but i did get a demo of it in the mail from playstation

10. SaiST Retired Staff

One of the best games of the year.

Even though the camera and controls make me want to blow up a building or two. :p

BUY IT! BUY IT NOW!! :mad:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  11. Sasuto

I'll try to rent it this week-end/tommorow. it looks AWESOME!!! but the game ain't long enough for me to buy it..well, thats what the director? says in the video on gamespot that we could finish it in 20 hours or so..

12. mow

True, but Im fairly certain the replay value is much greater than other games atm.

13. Sasuto

14. mow

I mean, would I play the game again even though I finished it?

For example, Grand Theft Auto hasd a huge replay value. Becuase even after you finish it you still have some mini games to complete and/or you can just go crusing and getting in police car chases

On the other hand, shootout games dont tend to have a high replay value (in my case at least)

It makes an importan choice if I decide to buy a game rather than rent it :amuse.

15. Code

Does the game contain a lot of extras? What's the average completion time?

16. SaiST Retired Staff

10-12 hours, I'd say.

The game does not have much replay value. There aren't many extras, as far as I can tell. If you're pinchin' pennies, or if games like this don't suit your tastes, then I suggest you rent it.

IMO, the ride's shortlived, but it's fun as hell. One of those unique gaming experiences that pops up every few years. One of my favorite games for the PS2 ATM.

17. RodMack

i saw some clips on Gamespot of this game and it looks good. one thing that amazes me is how HUGE the bosses are. you're like some regular sized person facing a REALLY HUGE monster. i'd definetely give this game a try.

18. Mongoloid Gnome

My copy should be here in a week or two, I'm a proud owner of ICO and can't wait for SotC.
    It looks amazing.

19. Kami-Sama

already on the 8th colossi and the game is awsome....as someone already stated the camera is quite shaky but that doenst stop nor makes the game less fun.... so far eash boss battle is a great experience...and the game look beautifull without trying too hard :D i'm quite pleased.

20. ExoSkel

What do you do besides traveling and taking down bunch of colossi?

21. Kami-Sama

the thing is that each colossi is a new puzzle, so far i have not seen a colossi that needs to be killed the same way as previous ones, which to me it is quite good, which proves that much thought went into each one of them.

22. SaiST Retired Staff

The 16th Colossus... Is scary! ;_;

It hates me, it wants to kiiill me.

23. o0oEnderIlleso0o

After beating the game I have decided that it is easily one of the most fulfilling experiences of my entire life. Takes place in my top five favorite games of this generation for many reasons.

24. Sasuto

I rented the game, it's so freakin cool..i came back this morning really drunk and the first thing i did was play to shadow of the colussus loll ..the graphics are amazing and the colossi are just incredibly nice. I'm now at the 9th one i think? ..the one in the dry lake you know?? if someone could help whit him i would appreciate.

I'll explain the colossi in this ''spoiler'' form so that noone who didn't play read it and that the ones that finish the game or just better than me lol can help me...

SPOILER

The colossi of the dry lake shoot rocks? from his neck lol ( pretty weird but give you a lot of damage) anyway you need to make him follow you until there some kinf of a volcano of steam under him right??? so after that you need to put 1 arrow in 2 of his foots and he fall on his side...what do i need to do after that?? i try to jump on him but it dosent grip..he dosen't have any fur...i need to trow him arrows in the eyes lol?? ..help me plz.

25. Kami-Sama

so far my fav one is the 13 colossi and 12 being the most annoying to me :D

26. Code

Well read some reviews, differ from Gamespot's 8.7 to Ign's 9.7... but all good scores. Only gripe seems to be the controls and other technical aspects like the graphics.

Well for anyone who completed it, is it difficult? I'm probably just going to buy it instead of renting it if it's not another easy->normal game that isn't much of a challenge. Too many games nowadays are extremely short and easy.

27. TheMexicanKingVII

I heard a lot of good stuff about this at gamerplug, so I might buy it considering it isfrom the same makers of ICO.

28. o0oEnderIlleso0o

I've never trusted Gamespot. The only reason I use the site is for release dates and vids. Any site that gives Grand Theft Auto a near 10 and SOTC an 8.7 doesn't deserve to write reviews. I don't care for their new layout either.

The game is a challenge. The first time through it might take you around ten hours is all, (slight non-storyline based spoiler--->)
    Spoiler:
    but you unlock a hard mode and a time trial mode by beating the game which adds a whole new level to the experience.
    Great replay value because of it. As far as the graphics go, I think the team did a tremendous job of creating a beautiful game that keeps you in awe.

29. Kami-Sama

^already finished the game in normal mode. hoping to tackle the hard mode soon :D

30. SaiST Retired Staff

Not really. This was a stupid move on Team Ico's part, IMO. Hard Mode should've been available from the start, because the game is easier the 2nd time through regardless. Having the knowledge of the Colossi's vital points and the ways to get to them right off the bat just gives you too much of an advantage. Yes, there are slightly varied ways of bringing them down, and I believe your stamina and life bars are a bit smaller this time around too, but it still feels easier.

This is why I copied my SotC Save File to another PS2 Memory Card, and gave it to my friend when I let him borrow the game. He'll get the full enjoyment of the game's higher difficulty that way.

Oooohh how I wish this game was delayed for the PS3. I love it, but God damn would it have been great on the PS3. Would've had more development time to add some extra content as well. I hate that this world is so gigantic, yet there's so little to do in it except look at it, and find the Colossi.

[EDIT] - And on Gamespot's score-- I think it's fair. I give it an 8.5. It's a fantastic game, it's definitely staying in my library, but it ain't perfect.