1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Shaq vs Duncan

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by Shinobi No Kami00, May 25, 2005.

When all is said and done: Shaq vs Duncan

1. Shaq is better

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. both are equally great

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Duncan is better

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. I can't decide

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Shinobi No Kami00

There are many excellent players in recent years. However the championships have been lead by big men. The last 4 MVPs have been awarded to big men. Of these big men, two stand above the rest, Shaq and Duncan.

Shaq:
    3 championships
    1 MVP
    considered by many to be the most dominant big man since Chamberlain

Duncan:
    2 championships
    2 MVPs
    considered to be the most fundamentally sound post player in the NBA

When all is said and done, whose name will shine brighter? I doubt if Shaq is gonna win any more championships and MVPs. He is clearly in the twilight of his career. Yes, I know he was a strong MVP candidate but I believe that was the result of many unususal events in the regular season (Minnesota's meltdown doomed Garnett's chances despite excellent stats; Spurs adopted the international style of play, reducing Duncan's stats; Houston struggled early, Mcgrady would've been a contender if the Rockets had a better standing). Duncan is at the top of his game. It will be 3 or more years before age catches up with him. The Spurs are only getting better, another championship is definitely a possibility. Duncan's stats are second only to Garnett, another MVP is also a definite possibility.

Shaq will always be remembered for his physical prowess but Duncan will be remembered for efficiency and pure technique. He'll win more championships than Shaq. He might even become one of the best players of all time like Jordan, Bird, Johnson, Russell and Chamberlain.

Tags:
  2. Hinata_Hyuuga8

i don't know who I Duncan is so I choose Shaq.

3. Sena Kobayakawa

Duncan is better. He is more valuable to his team. The Heat were still a pretty good team when Shaq got injured.

4. The_Unforgiven

5. Stealth Tomato

The Heat have an aging Shaq. In his prime, O'Neal was one of the most dominant players ever to play the game.

6. Ikkaku

Doesn't Duncan have 4 championships? The Spurs have won 4 out of the last 9 and Duncan was there for all of them, and contributed greatly in all. I would have to say Duncan cause he has won more, and does not get into foul trouble as much as Shaq, nor does he break an ankle or knee every year.

7. Yakuza

I agree with Vash, but TD is super important for SA.... I dont know...
    I'd rather have Shaq prime at my team... bu, if I was to choose today, Id pick Duncan.

8. Stepped

Fixed. I don't know man... I can't decide.