1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Shikamaru is really becoming overrated

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by MartialHorror, Dec 3, 2005.

1. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I like SHikamaru alot, but he is possibly becoming more overrated than Sasuke.

He fails to defeat Dosu, Tayuya and gave up on Temari.

And defeats Kin..........................

Not a real impressive win/loss record.

Why do people think for that reason, he can defeat Sasuke, Shino, and Kankurou.

Their excuse is: "He will think up some brilliant plan"

Well........obviously that didn't work against Dosu or Tayuya.

Tags:
  2. TenshiOni Active Member

Shikamaru is deadly...but only if he's playing to simply capture someone/or given a deadly team at his disposal.

3. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

He's the best to have as team leader,

but not one on one........

I'm not counting Post timeskip btw..............we need to see him in action much more to decide that

4. Noex Member No. 4154

Well its true he is the natural born team leader but he is not good one on one coz he is lazy and gives up easily, but he is the best stragetist around heheh so he will be good Jounin teacher i think, if its not toooooo troublesome heheh

5. The O RLY Factor La de da

Let me put it this way, he's taken into account that he doesn't have very good offensive jutsu and has acted accordingly.

6. RealaMoreno H?herer Krieger

I agree completely. Do-buddy knows when to run :D

7. Caustic Personality.

Personally, I wonder how Shikamaru would fare against someone who uses Taijutsu and fights close-range. Every opponent he's fought so far has either been off-guard, or a long-range fighter. To that end, his strategic ability enables him to figure a plan to capture them, while also avoiding attacks.

However, how would he be able to think fast enough or move his shadow about fast enough to catch someone like Lee? Unless he has the ability to stretch his shadow into a circle around him so no one can attack him close-range, he's pretty much screwed against a Taijutsu user.

Another thing I'd like to know, is why Shikamaru doesn't have a lot more Kunai/Shuriken. I mean, out of all the Ninja we've seen, the Nara clan is potentially the only one that may be able to effectively kill with Shuriken. It's stupid how they keep their shuriken pouches in the same place as every other ninja. If they had Shuriken pouches in their legs, or in a secret pouch in their back, or maybe even in hidden compartments all over their suits, the battle would be over the moment they caught the opponent. As it is, if Shikamaru catches his opponent, it's basically a draw. But if he has hidden Kunai/Shuriken, he could just pull one out (while the opponent grabs air), throw it, and kill him/her/it.

8. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

Errr.....where is this? I havent seen Shikamaru overrated. However your right.

9. The O RLY Factor La de da

During the Sand/Sound invasion he threw a lot of shuriken at sound nin, and got them out of pouches that enabled him to throw them while they were unable to do so. I think he learned his lesson after fighting with Rin.

10. XfayeVX Sexxxy Alchemist

yeah i dunno how he's overrated...lol i agree, he doesn't fare well one on one. but he's too much a good strategist to let go to waste. and he's admitted his weaknesses, and as someone mentioned before, does what he needs to in order to minimize the damage. he wasn't promoted because he can kick peoples' asses, although he's no pushover. he was chosen because he's not dumb enough to get everyone killed if it can be avoided, which is just as important as being able to kick everyones ass.

now if you ask me...i'd sasuke's a bit overrated. haha

11. Id The Demon of Elru

I like the chunin exam where all they did was hide or run away........it was funny and smart. so um yeah he is kinda overated

12. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

If you want to see how Shikamaru is overrated,

look at any of the battledome threads with Shikamaru.

13. earthshine Banned

shika is not underestimated, he is simply understood. nobody beat dosu in their little confromntation, it took curse seal sasuke to do it, then garaa to finish the job, both of who where massivly more powerful than the other characters at the time

tuyuya was the second strongest of the sound 4, not only did he come close to killing her, he was the only one to last from begining to end in one of the fights without a single wound from his enemy, only a finger that he himself broke. what happend to choji and the oh-so powerful neji? hospitalized by even weaker members.

he could have killed temari, a kunai to the face would have done it, but he just gave up because he did not feel like going any further, he just wanted to show that she could not beat him by herself.

the only thing that has ever beaten shika is loss of chakra, if he had an ubundance of chakra, he would be damn near invincible

14. Chi Technical knockout

Never seen him being overrated.. Or.. Are you talking abou battledome?
    Well.. Everything can happen there. Even Konohamaru can beat Tsunade..
    Bu really.. He lost to Dosu just because he was short on chakra, and it wasn't really 1x1..

And Tayuya wasn't just somebody.. And he forced her to use CS2. It isn't nothing.. He did great in all his fights...

15. sonnie_skies Braving the Rain

shikamaru's someone with a great set of strengths and an obvious set of weaknesses. most people either focus on one or the other.

the main reason people like shikamaru so much (and it's a totaly rareness in this fandom), is his PERSONALITY.

16. Azure Ihrat Pace is the Trick Retired Staff

Ja, I LERV Shika but he is really overrated.

Kakashi has the brains of Shika too, he said so himself. And Itachi probably has, too.

17. Hyuuga Neji i didn't leave ^_^

i admit i just love when he makes a strategy but he lacks decent jetsus, as a matter of fact all of team 10 lacks decent jetsu's its when he is combined with some1 like naruto that he becomes lethal

18. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

-Well, being your one of the few who acknowledge Dosu as being strong, I must agree with you there.

But the thing is, he could have done something. Like bashing Dosu's head against a tree.

-Speculation on Tayuyas strength. They all are the same age, and we can presume they all have about the same experience, but Sakon and Kidomauru have better databook stats than Tayuya.

-How? IF he lets go of the shadow, she can easily dodge/deflect. Then again, she might not have any more kunai so if Shikamaru attacks with a kunai, then she would be down.

In the Manga, he says he was out of chakra. What you are saying is also sort of speculating.

19. The O RLY Factor La de da

Actually, Temari didn't have any pockets like Shikamaru to keep kunai in during that fight, at least not on the outside of her outfit. He could have easily filled her with kunai and shuriken during that time he had her look behind to see how he caught her and while making her walk up to him. He just doesn't like hurting women.

20. CrazyPig I'm Back from the dead :)

Skimamaru just recently became a chuinn when her fought tayuya and how far he got in battle till Tenari showed up is pretty impressive, He gave up in the match with temari because he knew he was going to lose anyways so I don't really think that he's that overated...

21. XfayeVX Sexxxy Alchemist

i'm noticing the majority of the characters in naruto lack really good/ effective jutsus. or if they don't lack them, they just don't use them. i wouldn't use the battledome as the basis for any argument, though.

i think that he's often misunderstood. at first glance he looks like he's just giving up. more often then not, he doesn't wanna be there, but he gets the job done because he knows he has to. and if quitting or leaving the scene isn't detrimental to the team, then there's nothing too bad about that. i'd say that's fairly smart and responsible. if the entire team dies before reaching the goal, then there's no chance to reach it ever again. he's not overrated, he gets talked about just as much as some of the other characters, but because he's a different TYPE of character who uses brain power instead of brute strength, he gets a bad rap...

meh, oh well. i still dig him. he's cool. :cool

22. Hiruma The King has Come!

Shikamaru needs prep-time. I believe he is the Batman of naruto.

23. CooLMooCoW Live and Let Live

Shikamaru is only overrated by those that say "He will think up some brilliant plan" as the end-all statement. Other then that though, I don't believe he is overrated.

His win/loss, 1-3 record doesn't lie, but all of Shikamaru's inital plan to capture his opponents in kage mane still succeeded. The only thing that kept him from victory was having poor chakra reserves in his fight with Temari & Tayuya, and having an X-factor thrown in the equation that he didn't plan on in the last minute; the sheer power of the CS lvl2 and the 8th sound nin lagging behind after catching seven sound nins all at once during the Chuunin Exam arc. (Getting Dosu in kage mane doesn't really count since it was a team effort and catching him off guard. No real planning was needed.)

24. Code Zoamelgustar

It's simply impossible for Shikamaru to be overrated... when people start saying he can take on Akatsuki 9 on 1 then I might think otherwise. A big "might."

25. Insipidipity Ignostic Buddhist

Before he was able to strangle someone to death with his shadow, I would've said he was overrated, but it took the cursed seal which seems to give about a 1000% increase in chakra just to RESIST his strangling shadow now, which says a lot.

Seriously, if he had that against Temari, he could've ended it right there, but trying to figure a way to hurt his opponent WITHOUT hurting himself is hard when they copy your movements. If he punches them, he gets hurt himself. I'm pretty sure he has to hurt them after he releases the shadow. Hence why he fooled Kin, he could've just turned around and have her slam her head, but it seems she had to WANT to slam her head into the wall, meaning he probably let go right before she hit.

26. earthshine Banned

only thing about that is, during the fight with temari, all he had to do was throw a kunai into her throat, and he would have won. tem has no little ninja pack, so when she reached down to copy him, she would not have gotten anything, and when he trew the kunai, she would just mimic the movment with no effect, then shika makes her lift up her head while the kunai is coming(they where pretty far away at first) and bam, shes dead

27. Insipidipity Ignostic Buddhist

I think if she got stabbed with a kunai, he would feel it too, just like when Naruto punched Gaara. Hence why he didn't choose to. I think he has to figure out a way to convince the other person to hurt themselves unintentionally once he releases the Kage Mane.

28. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

I don't see anywhere where he is being overrated. He is a good shinobi who is potentially deadly for nomal shinobis but out of range when it comes to the special ones (i.e. those who have jinchuukiri/bloodline involved). His main problem is that he doesn't have enough chakra and his second weakness is that he also dosn't any a large arsenal of jutsus either. He's specialty also makes him totally useless at night times, which even he admitted during the Sasuke rescue.

29. mightyiguana New Member

No he is not overrated. The anime has shown his weakness by the fact he loses more than he wins against his opponents. He does not have a good combinations of fighting skills, you can argue that he is too lazy develop his fighting skills or that he simply has no talent. Fightingwise, he is as weak as sakura really I think. And of course no amount of the brain power without strong jutsus I believe is going to help anybody defeat oro or gaara for example. But it does mean that someone like shikamaru knows when to quit and if quiting is not a option, he can at least last quite a bit longer against an impossible strong character. He is one of the more realistic fighters. He has no illusions about his weaknesses and so he knows when to fight is a suicide match. You can argue that it means he has a weak because he gives up easily. I will say he is real and more mature while Naruto is childish about the way world works. Of course we would all like to believe if we tried hard enough, eventually things will work but the older you get, the less you will come to believe that.

You can argue that will power is all one needs to complete a task, but I think personally that is a childish way of looking at the world. Probably that is why naruto is so liked, he has a innocent perhaps childish of way of looking at the world, and we are all vicariously living through naruto for 20 mins when the show is on and we get back to being a little more pessimistic in our daily lives..

If Naruto spent as more time thinking about his strategy than he spends blindly charging into the enemy or giving people pep talks his fights would not last long and would be boring. Naruto does come up with clever attacks but only after charging into the enemy mindlessly for a while . I wish he would be a little more like Shikamaru. Imagine that, Naruto would be practically invincible.

30. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

Erm you might have missed this, but Naruto is by far the second best strategist amongst the genins, seocnd only two Shikamaru. Shino might have one up on him but then again he's a filler and doesn't have the same win/lose record.