1. img
    Take time to sit, get comfy, and watch the leaves fall...
    Come and join us in our forums Falling Autumn Event!
    The deadline is on September 25 at 10pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come vote in the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 23th at 4:42 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Shikimaru is not overpowered

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by KingofWac, Sep 28, 2006.

1. KingofWac

I think there was some frustration last week that Shikimaru is too good. While I respect Shikimaru's character, I didn't think it was appropriate for a chuunin to be responsible for the death of an Akatsuki no matter how smart he is. However he did have the glory of revealing Hidan's abilities and served his purpose, too bad the guy won't die!!

Tags:
  2. atom

Knowledge is power.. and Shikaimaru has alot of that.

3. KingofWac

that is true, but I think a lot of people would be angry if Shikimaru led to Hidan's defeat so easily

4. DeepThought

Why don't all the characters die? I am so dissapointed. /delusional rant

I'm sure alot of people would be angry if Naruto became Hokage. Those people are idiots.

5. Rikudou Sennin

how is Shika too good? He hasnt shown shit so far. Im still waiting for him to show exactly why he is supposedly a genius. So far he hans tbeen all that impressive.

6. DeepThought

And yes, people would be angry if Naruto became hokage.. but on the other hand with the kyuubi inside him it looks a little dangerous to me if he is the hokage. Anyway it are just people's opinions, you will always have the ones who agree and who don't. Just accept the fact that Shikamaru is a very smart kid and that bad guys in series like this almost never win.

8. Futagokage

Of course he is not, most of the readers knew that the circle was the point of the technique, and most of us didn`t have an IQ of 200 (well, maybe Deepthought, but that is not the topic).

Many are "frustrated" because a weeks ago there were a lot of "1001 ways of cooking tour monker son (asuma)" by master Chef Hidan" and now Asuma is just a little burn and Hidan... well he lost some weight.

If someone did not like this end, there are 2 options:
    1) Go back in time and talk to kishimoto, pushing him to change it.
    2) That is the way it is the manga, so let this be.

9. Mat?icha

it isnt over yet. maybe shika will led to his death. but to figure out to disspell jutsu is already something.

10. Rokudaime

Give Kyubi to Shikamaru and he is unstoppable

11. DeepThought

12. Mizura

The fake spoilers were actually more interesting. =_=

In it, Shikamaru ran towards Hidan to take his spear, to prevent him from getting more blood. Then he reveals that in the same go, he had Hidan come out of the circle.

While the above scenario isn't the best either, bottom line is that Shikamaru would have been more impressive if he somehow managed to Trick Hidan out of the circle, with a feint of some kind (like pretending to snatch his spear, but really just moving him ever so slightly and right out the circle), rather than charge him head on.

I mean geez. He didn't charge any of his opponents head on it part 1. Why's he more boring in part 2?

13. Troublesome

Shikamaru overpowered? I was reading how Shika is lazy and no good the other day in the 'How is Shika not a Jounin and Neji is' thread. It's funny how people see things.

14. Snickers

lol kishimoto is downgrading asuma and the other two, to showcase naruto off. He's not doing it as good as I'd like it to see. Hm well, It's still entertaining though:D

15. Woozie

Though his stamina might get magically replenished before the next week's chapter to keep him in the fight...

16. sadated_peon

Hidan jutsu forces him to stand in one place.

shikimaru jutsu needs a person to stand in one place.

Hidan jutsu loses.

17. cognitivedissonance

Look at this list:

Temari (jonin) Neji (jonin) Gaara (kazekage) Sasuke (jonin level) Naruto (jonin level) Shikamaru (chunin)

These are the characters who have fought in the final of the Chunin exam. Out of all these now jonin level fighters SHIKA is the only one not a jonin YET he was the only one that all the assembled lords thought was worth being promoted to a chunin level. This was based on his Intelligence.

Shikamaru is clearly a jonin. He just hasn't been promoted yet. People who think Shika shouldn't win because he's only a chunin are ignoring these facts.

18. Futagokage

I think one of the biggest problems Kishimoto is going to face now on is fans expectatives. He create an image of Akatsuki as the most powerful criminal organization, and now if Kakuzu were not there, Shikamaru would help to defeat the "immortal one".

Why does many feel that Shikamaru is not the man for the job, easy, we have see how Shikamaru has grown, from Genin to almost Jounin, so is normal, knowing what Akatsuki is, most of the fans say: "How does a 15 yers old teen beat one of the most powerful criminals in the world".

Is strange, a couple of weeks ago, no one doubt about the victory of the now talking head, and it was all based on expectatives, now that this expectatives are somehow broken, there comes frustration.

I am waiting for the next two weeks, to see how does this fight continue, I feel the end of this battle is going to be very meaninful for all the naruto fans.

19. 9TalesOfDestruction

well.....knowing shikimaru...his plan isn't even half way done yet......

and sakura is allready responsible for an akatsuki members death......

20. cognitivedissonance

21. Waffletime!

Hmmmmm...I think Kishi gave Shikamaru good skill set. Not overpowered, but definitely not lacking in what he does best. :amuse

22. ChipsAndSnacks

Some people tend to forget that previous chapters prior to and beginning of the Hidan/ Team Asuma encounters have given us a lot of clues of what type of person Hidan holds. Team Asuma just met this Akatsuki cell with no knowledge of their power, but with Shikamaru around they were able to figure things out lickity split by himself. To us, it may have been what 3...5 weeks to pull something out? They had about half an hour?

Or...you can always blame the writers for giving off too much information.

23. KingofWac

I think some of you took my original post too literally. I'm glad Shikimaru got a little piece of this fight to show he can "compete" with high level enemies, however I don't think I am the only one who believes it is somewhat ridiculous for a chuunin to get all the credit. I think Shikimaru's actions are analogous to Sakura in the Sasori fight. That fight proved Sakura had become more powerful but it took someone very powerful to actually compete with the Akatsuki member. I don't want to take anything away from Shikimaru, I just think it would be a little lame if Hidan died that easily.

24. Hokage Mac Dre

His genious mind and uber technique is balanced with his lack of stamina... probably the lowest in the rookie 9 besides Ino...?

25. Insipidipity

It's not like he was killing him with Kage Nui or Kage Kubi Shibari. Since the beginning he's been known to be smarter than even jounin, so it's only logical that he did what he did. If he didn't, his main strength would've been useless.
    It's not like Shikamaru has been taking on any Akatsuki member single handedly anyways. Even if he assisted in the kill, he had Asuma by his side. If Shikamaru fought an Akatsuki member one on one and won, then he'd be overpowered.