1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Shino's ability as a shinobi: The Shino essay

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Kyuubi Naruto, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

I wanted to do an interesting essay this time so I decided to do one that I really doubt anyones thought about. This is about Shino and his potential. Now Shino controls bugs, not normal ones but bugs in general. If Shino uses his bugs well then im going to predict what he can do and what he should be able to do. This probably isnt as organized as my other essays but it does well.

When we think of Shino we think of bugs and brains (or atleast I do). However, the guys a Chuunin. That doesnt mean he sucks, it just mean hes not a Jounin. For all we know, he didnt take exams. Here ill try to explain some of Shino's potential.

Aburame Shino

Pre-chuunin exam->Post-chuunin exam(17->18 = +1)
    Ninjutsu: 3.5 -> 3.5
    Taijutsu: 1.5 -> 1.5
    Genjutsu: 2 -> 2
    Knowledge: 3 -> 3.5
    Strength: 1.5 -> 1.5
    Speed: 1.5 -> 2
    Stamina: 2 -> 2
    Seal: 2 -> 2

I pretty much did that to show his offense. Taijutsu isnt his style, neither is strength so thats out of it. Intelligence and Ninjutsu fit him well. I think that hes going to start to get some more bug attributes.

Poison- There are poisonous bugs. Shino and his intelligence would make use of is. Using poison on his opponents would sort of kinda be like Kankurou but they are pretty much equal in skill (rank? who cares) last time we saw them. I can only guess that Shino's greatly improved beyond that in the bug area. With his poison skills he should be able to use jutsu like

Doku Chakra Senbon: Chakra-based Poison Needles
    Jounin Level Jutsu ? based on Chakra manipulation
    Shino can manipulate his own Chakra and make it poisonous, because he is of the Aburame Clan and his bugs have the potential to evolve into poisonous bugs. He forms his Chakra into needles and makes them surround his fingers, ready to shoot them at his opponent(s).

It sounds like a cool move for Shino. Also since the bugs feed on his chakra and live in his body, it wouldnt be ulikely for his clan to have that attribute.

The stamina problem

Not being big on stamina and big on Ninjutsu and intelligence, he will need a way to increase his chakra amount. Bugs (like ants) like to bring things to the leader of the group. Shino is their leader. The bugs obey him. Since they can can absorb chakra into themselves, whats saying they wont give it to Shino? That is probably his biggest advantage, the ability to recieve chakra from his foes if the bugs attach themselves to the enemy. That way if he ever runs out of chakra, he has some spares chakra. With that chakra he can do a variety of techniques ranging from offensive, defensive and support. This will allow him to fight characters with a bigger chakra amount (examples are Naruto, Gaara, Lee) and still be able to compete.

Ekisu Konchuu: Extraction Bugs
    Chuunin Level Jutsu
    The Extraction Bugs spread out towards their opponent to draw out Chakra and place it in their master.

Heres another skill

Konchuu Bakuhatsu: Bug Explosion
    Chuunin Level Jutsu
    Explosion Bugs surround the opponent and? explode..

Sounds easy and can be used in a variety of ways with Shino's intelligence.

The Bushins

Almost every original ninja in Naruto uses some bushin. Whether its Naruto's Kage Bushin, Zabuza's Mizu Bushin, Deidara's Tokubetsu Bakuhatsu Bushin, or any other type. Shino used his bug bushin, we know that. Its good for one move but what if he needs more? He will result to this. However, bugs have the ability to heal themselves. His most useful skill would be this.

Taiyuu Kikai Bunshin no Jutsu: Advanced Bug Clone Skill
    Jounin Level Jutsu ? Based on Difficulty
    Shino creates Clones completely consistent of bugs, and all can heal themselves with bugs.

That will allow him to think of a strategy or to do something else incase he needs the time. It also will improve over his other one, makes sense.

Assassin skills

Hes perfect for being an ANBU type. His tracking skills are great and not only that but he can take an opponent out through a simple tactic, look at Kankurou and Zaku. One thing that he might need is the ability to conceal himself. Bugs can camoflouge so it would be quite easy for Shino. Heres some other skills he should employ

Camo-He will need it to conceal himself. Fits with his style.
    Kuchiyose no jutsu-Summon much larger bugs so he can fight with him. Could be anything ranging from
    Spoiler:

Those are very large bugs. He can do so much. Im not even going to assume what he can do in that area.
    Flight-He has a high chance of flying. Even thought I doubt it, it would be cool. Grabbing on a bug for flight is just badass in itself.
    Information-Lets just say he keeps a bug in the forest and it seems something on a missing ninja. Shino can then go there and retrieve the information.

Bug abilities in himself
    Shino possibly has other bug abilities that show their skills in himself. I dont know how to describe it really but you understand.

There im done. Even though this is probably my worst essay and I could have done better, I explained alot about Shino. If you read it all then good for you. It was kinda short but short and sweet go well. Anyway, reply!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Shogun <marquee><font color='dark blue'>Standing Still</f

Dyamn, Shino got game!

3. Walker Member

I like the theory of him being able to summon bigger bugs, nice post.

4. TenshiOni Active Member

I've always hoped that Shino will be able to summon gigantic bugs after the time-skip.

Here's hoping! :spaz

5. Darth Judicar A#1 Roller Rager

Great essay on Shino. It's cool how you went in depth with his statistics and analyzed his style. I agree with TenshiOni as well, as it would be cool to see him summoning some huge bugs. The praying mantis and a queen ant come to my mind when I think about this heh...

6. Nathan Lala Lamb

Urgh. Bigger bugs!? *shivers*

Great post!
    He would be able to do alot more with giant bugs though. *nods*

7. Gaimanotaku Overanalysis-no-jutsu

Not sure I buy the poison chakra thing, but Shino is my favorite character and I buy just about everything else. It's just that the poison thing would be so out of character with everything else he's done, since we haven't seen any standard chakra move out of him ever. Even his bunshin and kawarimi are special bug versions.

We did see a bug summon in a flashback fight introducing the chuunin exams, not sure how canon that is. Even if there isn't, he could just shape a giant bug out of the bugs he has on him.

Plus, his dad has bugs capable of removing poison. Either this is a natural level up as the bugs grow, or there are multiple kinds of bugs being cultivated, and that's why he has the second hive on his back. If Kankuro continues to be his rival, then puppeteer building his own puppets makes a neat parallel with beekeeper breeding his own weapons for poison or stingers or armored carapaces. Or imagine a bug shield that for extra protection involved all the bugs slipping into hard cocoons as they're hit.

Even with his current powers, there's plenty of clever tricks we haven't seen yet. Throwing a shuriken made of bugs that scatters into bugs right before being blocked. Or shaping the bugs into another set of arms so that he can fight six limbed, like a bug.

Back when Sasori first attacked Kankuro, and Jiraiya had mentioned increased Anbu patrols, I so expected Anbu Kiba and Shino to burst out to intercept that tail. Kiba with a generic "I owed you one one" and Shino, his blank anbu mask with bugs crawling around shifting the features every panel going "I thought you usually ran when the opponent was this strong."

8. Low-fi Boy Head in the clouds

Lets hope he has big Tenten-style summoning scrolls ^_^ lol, reps for the essay

9. Chi Technical knockout

Eemmm.. Wasn't bugs supposed to feed on chakra and not just absorb and give it to "master"?
    Don't like this "convert chakra into poison". I don't think there is SUCH a thing in narutoverse.
    I maybe wrong of course..

10. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

Yeah but the bugs I described were different ones :laugh

11. Dr. Hiluruk Called "MushroomBoy" at School

shino's always been my fav character, tied with rock lee!:tem

12. DarkWarrior I was supersaiyanvegeta!

I hate summons. Naruto has a chance but remmeber when Genins didn't have the chakra necessary for the grand fireball and Kakashi was surprised Sasuke could use it? If he can summon Manda, use a fireball and 2 chidoris before CSL and then use CSL2, how much freaking stamina training has he been doing?

Giant summons should be withheld for Jinchuuruki and adults with larger stamina pools. Smaller summons maybe for them at the age they are at. Like that Bee the bee woman summoned, it was big, but compare that to Bunta who was towering over a forest and its quite dwarfed.

13. KLoWn Time is money, friend!

It's was real fun readin, nice work.

14. imagineer18 don't want no title

those are really cool theories about Shino. it sure was fun reading that essay, and Shino's one of my favorite characters.

that chakra convertion to poisons, is that really possible, because that sounds really cool.

and...Shino's a Chuunin?

15. Crush! Banned

Who's Shino?

Oh yeah...that bug guy. Forgot about him.

16. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

Yeah Shino is now a Chuunin.

17. imagineer18 don't want no title

18. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

In part 2, all the old Genin (except Naruto, Sasuke, Neji, Gaara, Kankurou and Temari) are Chuunin. Neji, Kankurou and Temari are Jounin. Gaara is Kazekage.

19. imagineer18 don't want no title

oh, right...

it was stupid of me to forget. thanks for reminding me

20. ouroborus 団扇祭

Some nice ideas, although a few of them I doubt would happen, but its a good start. I've been thinking about Shino's abilities myself, so I have some thoughts.

Assuming the Aburame do carry bugs different than destruction bugs, I can see poison bugs being the number one bug they would otherwise use. However...

A character turning his chakra into poisonous chakra seems like a rather unique ability for a single character alone. Seems out of place for someone who already has bugs living in him. Plus, destruction bugs feed on his chakra. He would have to be extra careful or he would kill off his own bugs.

I understand that you mean for them to a different type of bug than a destruction bug. Nice idea, but I would think that would put them in competition with the existing destruction bugs since their main attack is eat chakra from their opponent. Since that seems to be their main attack, it would see strange for the Aburame to replace them with another bug, especially when the destruction bugs already live in them.

My own thoughts, I was thinking that most of Shino's techniques are in combination with his bugs. They no doubt have their own chakra and maybe they supply some of the chakra needed when using Bug Clone and others. It is a partnership and they are more than just elements like sand or fire being used as part of a technique. That would give Shino a way out of low Chakra problem due to the bugs because they are using the same chakra they ate.

I don't see this happening. At all. Shino has a great respect for all bugs in general. He won't step on a bug passing on the street. To use his own in this way is like telling Kiba to strap explosive notes on Akamaru. :mad

Okay, I really do see Shino creating shadow clones of his existing bugs. The Kamizuru clan already demonstrated how useful it was to mix clone bugs with the real bugs.

Add in the silent death of using poison bugs that sounds good. As far as the bodyguard skills that Anbu also do, the destruction bugs seem pretty sturdy for blocking things too.

As great as summoning bugs sounds, I don't think everyone has to have a summoning contract. Actually, I would rather they don't. Shino is already pretty special with his destruction bugs (and any other types). Plus, summoning takes a lot of chakra. The natural drain they might have from their destruction bugs might keep them from being able to do this.

This might be reduntant because Shino can already use his destruction bug's senses to track the scent of a female bug. Whatever other bug ability could be used by his bugs or through ninjutsu, like the Inuzuka. But I'm not sure what.

Destruction Bugs I'll throw my own thoughts about further uses of the destruction bugs here too.

Kishimoto really hasn't showed him using a technique with the bugs, other than simple controlling them and the Bug Clone. We've seen Shino's dad (Shibi) using poision extracting bugs (whether they are destruction bugs or not is a question) and carrying a gourd.

Unlike the other Genin's, we really haven't seen Shino use the advance techniques of his clan (unlike InoShikaChou, Neji, and Kiba).

However, he did use cloning and from what we've seen, different Cloning techniques are close to the same except using a different element (sand, shadow, water). How many techniques are there that you can swap out fire for water in their name? Some of Shino's techniques may be the same, expect with bugs. Drawing out an element where they don't exist is difficult, but Shino wouldn't have that problem with his own bugs in his body. Plus the bugs have an extra bonus, once you hit your opponent they can draw out their opponent's chakra, which seems to be the main attack of the destruction bugs.

Imagine a Karyu Endon (fire dragon flame bullet) with Bugs instead Fire! Instead of flames shooting out his mouth it would be a bugs. Eek!

The Gourd I really hope when Shino reappears he ends up with a large gourd like his dad's. Although I hope it doesn't look like Gaara's gourd like that Aburame from the recent bug filler. :)

I've been very curious about what is it. More destruction bugs or a different species of bugs that they've mastered? It would be a great place to put a different species and would be cool to see different bug abilities.

A gourd would be a great place to put another nest, especially if he didn't have to feed them with his own chakra or have them living inside of him. It also keeps them seperate from the destruction bugs.

However, after watching the fillers I've decided that the bigger techniques would need more destruction bugs. I realize its filler, but when he used that Insect Jar technique I wondered how he had enough room inside of him to hold that many bugs (unless he's creating bug clones). They must be living in his coat by now. The Aburame may use a gourd to hold their overflowing nest. The only problem is just how they might eat chakra if they're in a gourd instead of in him. Can they eat it that far away? Or does Shino trade the bugs around every few hours or give them a daily feeding like feeding goldfish. :laugh

21. Chiru Naruto Forums Elitist

KN, this is why you are one of my favorites. Shino pwns. Here's hoping he gets to be in the spotlight.

22. Hotaru Member

23. imagineer18 don't want no title

isn't it that the Aburame, when they are born, the bugs nest in their body? and the Aburame and the bugs are living symbiotically?

so this disproves the summoning theory, right? because Shino's bugs, they're already with him, right?

:S :S i'm asking too many questions...i just remembered reading something similar in the manga.

24. OmniStrife Finaly, it is here! FWA X!!

No no, I think you're right.
    Those were my thoughts exactly.

25. ouroborus 団扇祭

Kyuubi Naruto is referring to summoning a large insect, which would be different than the destruction bugs already inside of him.

So those would be two different things. So if the Aburame had a summoning contract and if they had enough chakra after the destruction bugs's take, then yeah it could be possible they could summon. (but both if's have to be true).

Edit: Yes, Shino does have bugs living symbiotically inside of him. They haven't been fully explored yet, which is why see advances like using different bugs and summonings unlikely (although not impossible) because there is much we haven't seen from the destruction bugs themselves. They better be more useful than just making clones for the Aburame to let them live inside of them. I'm interested in what else destruction bugs can do.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  26. imagineer18 don't want no title

nope. the Aburame bugs are already like their blood and chakra. so if they're gonna summon larger bugs, what do they have as tribute? bugs? if he has to summon he needs chakra, and the bugs feed on that already.

an Aburame would need Kyuubi Naruto's chakra to be able to have enough chakra for summoning.

27. ouroborus 団扇祭

You make it sound like Shino has no chakra left after the bugs, which can't be true or else he would be shuffering chakra exhaustion and have no chakra to use on his own techniques. Since Shino isn't walking around in pain and is still able to use techniques, then he should have some chakra left. How much? I don't know.

Now sure, it requires a huge amount of chakra to summon gigantic summoned animal. So much that Naruto needs Kyuubi's chakra to do it. But there are more than just boss summons. We've seen small ones like Gamatatsu and Gamakichi. We've seen Jiraiya summon larger ones like its nothing.

A large one like the pictures in the first page could be useful, like Kyuubi Naruto said.

Personally, I don't see it happening, but its not because he has absolutely no chakra left. I figure he has some, but there are better things for him to use it for.

28. imagineer18 don't want no title

you're right. if he didn't have any chakra left, he wouldn't be able to walk, worse, he could be dead.

so since the Aburame clan are bug people...can't they just call the bugs to help them. they can talk to them right?

or the large bug could be made up of a lot of smaller bugs?

forgive the craziness, too much caffeine, you know. :smile-big :p :laugh

29. ouroborus 団扇祭

No problem. :)

We don't know how much chakra the bugs eat. Could be 50%, could 80% or it might only be 10%. Shino has never complained about having a lack of chakra, so we don't know.

Now if its like 80% then it would be rather hard to summon something and the size and usefulness of what he can summon might make the importance of mastering summoning not very hight. If it is like 10% then its not really a problem, but if it is 50% then maybe he could summon large insects regularly, but why master the summoning technique if his own thousands of destruction bugs could just henge into a large bug themselves and provide the same advantages? (I was thinking the same thing :tem )

So it may not be impossible to summon, I just think its unlikely because there are so many other unique things Shino can do that no one else could do.

I think there could be a lot from the destruction bugs that we haven't seen. I'm even starting to rethink the usefulness of poison bugs when the destruction bugs eat the chakra of their opponent. Kankurou couldn't even move and perhaps the amount of chakra they can pull out would be enough to kill.

If it was me, I would make sure these bugs are pretty special before I start letting them live in me. :)

Edit: I'm not sure how far communications go. The bugs do an Aburame's bidding, but can he talk to them? He can do survellance even with a bee during the first test of the Chuunin exam. Maybe its more than take orders and provide visuals than saying "Hi, how are you?" :laugh

30. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

Depends. Sakura is going to be able to summon Katsuya later on in the series. I dont know how shes going to get the chakra to do that but it will be possible. If Shino summons then he woulnt be able to summon something on that magnitude yet. Not only that but his chakra amount is higher then Sakura so it helps. Im sure we dont want him summoning megabugs and all but say ones in the picture, those would be cool.