1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Should Google Earth Be Banned?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by CrazyMoronX, Nov 29, 2005.

1. CrazyMoronX

Well I was listening to the radio last night, and there was a guy saying that Google Earth (and other similar services) is dangerous, and a threat to national security.

He points out that it allows a user to view any location and display longitude latitude of that location, and that it could be used in warfare, terrorism, and other things.

He spoke with some military guy who said his mortar team could use the information to mortar a location easily, just with the information on Google Earth. He goes on to point out he was able to locate his old base and tents they were posted at.

So the question is, should Google Earth be banned to public use?

Anyone could get on there, look someone up, and bomb their house (as he puts it).

Personally, I thought it was laughable at first, but I thought about it a little, and it could be a potential threat. Especially with terrorists always looking for something to help them.

Thoughts?

OH here's an article I found in a quick dirty Google search:

Tags:
  2. GSurge

There are other services you can use if Google Earth was banned, and I think it's going a bit too far to ban it.

3. Nemesis Moderator

Flag:
    Sokovia
    hahaha really somepeople go too far with all this

I mean i bet everyone here knows where the closest military base is to them anyway its not like its a big secret.

No way this should be banned, hell its not like any of this info on the map can't be found out by typing a few words on a search engine.

Its over hype from someone who wants a police state for america

4. EvilMoogle Supporting Staff

Well, the first obvious point would be that "Google Earth" wouldn't be the problem, the satelite service would be.

The second issue is that this is already addressed. Any secure location you either can't get a picture of (most sufficiently secret military bases), you get an edited picture of (the White House), or you can't zoom in enough to be useful.

Not a problem really.

5. Deathinstinct

No they should not be banned. Google (the online WalMart) decreases it. All Hail the new God.

It's easy to get information for attacks, but what they need to realize is the information isn't all that useful. If you're on the other side of the globe use a nuke or similar device, there no need for accuracy. If you're using rockets, mortars, or standard guns, then do a little recon. Besides the maps on Google Earth aren't all that recent.

6. aLkeMiSt

In order to prevent any threats, google earth along with the similar programs should be banned.

Otherwise I love it =D

7. Goongasnootch

If you have the resources to bomb an important place in another country, you more-than-likely already know where it is. Google Earth isn't a threat.

8. Last of the Uchihas

Yeah, this really isn't a threat to anything or anyone. If it was a live image of the Earth, then it would be a different story, but I doubt Google (and a good majority of everyone everywhere) has the time, money, and technology to develop something so advanced.

10. hakke

At least in my city, it shows pictures from 2 or 3 years ago... so its not that accurate to base your targets if youre a terrorist. I bet very few places are up to date...

11. Asmodeus

Yes, these pictures, updated once every five years, are an ongoing threat to the national security of the US of A...><. Don't you love radio hosts? Anything of any true importance is erased off of them, anyway, and only the Urban areas are really created in any form of detail to begin with. This is pretty..absurd?

12. Heldensheld

SO what......certain areas should not be shown?

13. TheGreatYugi

Wasted my time reading something stupid like this, the guy who wants to ban google earth should die.

14. Gunners

Paranoia, i like it so i dont have a problem with it.

15. Psyonic

Along with freedom.

16. Broleta

Lol If im a torrorist and I'm using google earth I'm an idiot.
    Google earth uses fairly old maps that are updated at a low rate. It would be more efficient to buy a map of the area or just search for one via google.
    Holy crap maybe they will ban search engines next XD

17. sunj01

18. google123

Perhaps. Perhaps not. I have a few relatives to look up on there, so for the time being no.

19. Leen

20. OtacontheOtaku

If you've ever actually used Google Earth, you know that any area of real national security is either blurred out on the map, or completely cut from it. You don't even need google map though to target locations like that. You could pick up any road map and pinpoint the location with incredible ease. As far as terroist attacks go, if "they" were going to attack the U.S. again, they would've done it by now. People worry over nothing.