1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Kishi have made Sakura as strong as Naruto & Sasuke? (2018 Edition)

Discussion in 'New Leaf' started by lolandhugs, Jun 19, 2018.

1. lolandhugs New Member

I think he should've made her as strong as Naruto and Sasuke or at least a little weaker than them. But if we compare those three Naruto has 200% power, Sasuke 175% power and Sakura 50% power. That sucks cause dis bitch has a lot of potential. This is how I imagined Sakura:

1. She should've had Genjutsu. Sakura could've been really strong, if she had genjutsu. Even Kakashi said in part 1, that she could've been really good at genjutsu. Like, wtf Kishi? That could've helped her a lot in part 1. Especially when she was all weak and shit like that. She could distract her enemies with genjutsu and Sasuke or Naruto knock them out. Simple.

2. She should've had Earth, Water (and Wood) release. If she actually had earth release, that would give her punches a boost. Like, she could effortlessly destroy a small sized village just with one punch. She could also defend and attack at the same time. With water release... eh... she could learn some techniques from Kakashi, for long distance attacks. Now wood release. Now that is what would actually make her a really powerful Naruto character. Just imagine her with that kind of power. When Naruto and Sasuke combine their powers and make that amazing Armored Tailed Beast she could also join them by creating a gigantic wood statue (or whatever) that looks like her, has the ability to move fast, absorb chakra and has monster strength. That is what I call teamwork. When ALL members from the same team work together.

3. Sage Mode. Y'all will be like "Yuk! Slug sage mode? She would look like a freaking dildo" (real comment). She doesn't necessarily need to look like a slug. Did Naruto look like a Toad to y'all? No! So, she doesn't need to look like a slug, if she actually had sage mode. Anyways. Since she can easily learn stuff, I thought, why not? If she had sage mode her abilities would be: deadlier monster strength, speed, heal many people without touching them, change parts of her body with Lady Katsuyu's (okay let me explain this a bit. We all know that nothing effects Katsuyu. Not Amaterasu, not Shinra Tensei, not Chibaku Tensei not gentle fist not a thing. So, in order to protect herself (Sakura) from deadly things she can change (or transform) parts of her body with parts of Lady Katsuyu's (I'm sorry, but I can't explain it better). When her arm is about to get hit by Amaterasu, it (her arm) will take Katsuyu's texture and absorb the flames.), talk with others thanks to telepathy (something like Ino's technique. Katsuyu's clones can share info from a really long distance so why not), spit acid, and self regeneration without activating Mitotic Regeneration. So Sage Mode could actually help her.

4. The Byakugō Seal should've had more abilities than just healing and summoning Katsuyu. So, during Pain's Assault, Tsunade summoned Katsuyu, and she told her to use her (Tsunade's) chakra to heal all the wounded ones. So I've been thinking that Katsuyu should have her own chakra and she should give Tsunade or Sakura chakra when they run out of it. Like, they summon a mini Katsuyu, and that mini Katsuyu takes chakra from the other slugs from the Shikkotsu Forest and then she (the mini Katsuyu) gives chakra to its user. That way, they never run out of chakra and they become immortal (kind of. as long as no one rips their heads off they can be goddesses). With that, Sakura could also give chakra and protection to her allies.

5. Taijutsu. If Sakura is only going to use her fists and her legs then at least her taijutsu should've been on her other teammates level or above. If she had amazing taijutsu skills then she could've gained more respect. The only memorable scene where she used taijutsu was in that fight with Sasori. You know... that unforgettable 5 second scene where she kicks puppet ass non stop. Anyways. She could've learned from Guy Sensei just like Naruto learned wind style techniques from Asuma (R.I.P).

Now imagine all those 5 together. Amazing taijutsu, ninjutsu and genjutsu skills. Sage Mode and unlimited chakra thanks to Byakugō Seal. See Kishimoto. That wasn't difficult, was it? If she actually had those, she could easily surpass two Sharingan Kakashi and be near or little below Naruto and Sasuke or even be on their level. But I guess Kishi didn't want any obstacles in that NaruSasu final fight cause if Sakura was that strong she could actually stop Sasuke by siding with Naruto.

Or he is sexist and doesn't care that much about the female characters...

Tags:
  2. Platypus Well-Known Member Super Moderator

If we start asking to raise the level of power our favorite character, this goes crazy ...even more than now.

No, putting Sakura a level of power, similar to that of Naruto and Sasuke, is absurd.
    That only gives her character worse with absurd power ups. How would you justify that she had so much power if the power level of Naruto and Sasuke was wrong from the start? Seriously, in the arc of the war the level of power went out of control, but is quite unfair pretends that Sakura deserve more, that not only humbled Sakura: Kakashi, Negi, Rock Lee, Gaara, Shikamaru and other ninjas were in nothing too (except Guy).

Also, Sakura already has an inflated power level compared to the other characters (I still remember that time when she was weaker than Ino, they were good times) She sudendly is stronger that characters who should be stronger than her. Why would a 16 year old girl be more powerful than the Kages?
    She has no real reason to justify her level of power superior to Tsunade (who belongs to the most powerful clan of the narutoverse and had a lot of years of experience) neigther the natural potencil or the eforce, other characters like Lee have trained harder than her and do not reach her level, even the genius like Negi and Shikamaru are left behind.

Actually, I know where this is going: a lot of people think that power is equivalent to a matter in history, or worse, being a good character, and no. Bulma did not have a shit of power and even so she was important in dragon ball original (the best Dragon Ball).

Sakura does not deserve more level of power, she deserves more importance in the plot, for it is not necessary to add zeros to her chacra, is necessary to give her a defined personality and a purpose.
    During the arc of Gaara's abduction, Sakura was by far the weakest of the group, and yet she was important and the people liked her. Why? because her personality was nice and her goal was defined: she wanted to be stronger and help / protect / understand Naruto, also, her relationship with Chiyo was quite tender. Why people stopped liking Sakura? Because she became a damisel in distress, she let go her dignity to crawl after Sasuke, her goal and personality started to stick blind, not because of his level of power.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Topace Master Caster Of The Sabaku Warlocks

Yea sakura got fucked over cause kishi a cuck.

5. Rifulofthewest Active Member

Ohh, my friend, he is, but not because of the level of power, is because he is unable to make an interesting female character or that his goal is not love.

6. BlackGod Well-Known Member

7. Rifulofthewest Active Member

What??? You never listen about the great Haruno clan, the only directly descendents of Hashirama? Was you burried during the revelation?

8. BlackGod Well-Known Member

I must've been because the only Haruno clan I know of has a KKG known as obsession release not Wood release and to activate it you need to combine Low self-esteem release and pay no attention to rejection release.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Vilu Active Member

Kishi rather shouldn't go so overboard with power scaling. He made some characters really OP and the rest became fodders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Arthas Anko's Lover

Sakura never really had that much potential, that was part of the point of her character. If I remember correctly Kishi described her as the "Normal" one of Team 7.

Sakura :
    - As far as we know came from a regular family (No evidence but I think Fanon has her family being civilians).
    --- As far as I know her parents are still alive.
    - Has no special heritage as a result (No Bloodlinee limit, no demon in her belly, no hidden/family jutsu).
    - Is not a genius / tensei in the ninja arts on par with Sasuke / Neji / Itachi / Kakashi etc.
    - Is not a hard worker on par with Lee (at least not before Time skip. She probably would have started working hard during the Time skip though.)

Compare all of this to the rest of Team 7:

Who are orphans, members of elite ninja clans, descendants of famous ninjas etc...

Quite frankly given that starting point I find it amazing that Sakura has reached the level that she has at the age that she has.

If you want to give her those qualities as in make her 'special' then you walk away from the core of her character and become a fanfic writer - > Haruno Sakura, descendant of famous clan with blood line limit that puts Sharingan / Mokuton to shame and super genius in multiple ninja fields despite starting late.....

No thanks.

In all honest I don't think Sakura needs or even should be as strong as Sasuke or Naruto.

That's just window-dressing in my view.

Her core problems are two-fold :

1) Lack of Focus : I made a thread ( ) about this a while back. To put it simply Sakura after the Sasori fight was in a prime spot for further development. Yet Kishi put her in helicopter mode while we watched Naruto train and then fight Akatsuki. In my view Kishi should have shown her continuing to train / contribute (maybe in Genjutsu or the Byakogu seal) and then later have her own fight.

Problem is that Kishi sucks at juggling multiple characters and had just introduced a lot of other characters.

2) Poor / Reverse Character Development : There were a few times when Kishi did develop her after the Sasori fight but in all honesty he did such a poor job of it that it would probably have been better if he left her alone.

@Turrin convinced me that Kishi probably thought he was giving Sakura excellent development during the Kage arc and how she had to compete with other popular and favorite characters for panel-time.

Remember the quote of Kishi's when he said he developed Sakura by making her 'beautiful' ?

Then there was the 'development' Sakura received during the Kage-arc when sleep bombed her team, lied to Naruto and could not kill Sasuke.

To all the side-character fans and especially fans of other female characters who moan the fact that Kishi did not focus on them in Part 2, you all might want to count your blessings. If you examine what development Kishi did give Sakura (and even Sasuke and Naruto) I don't think you would actually like it. In all honesty, I consider the reason why Side-characters remain popular is because Kishi has not had a chance to mess them up with his development.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. sakuraboobs ☆ sakura-chan~! ☆

Kishi said he wanted to make Sakura the most human like possible compared to her teammates so readers could relate to her character more easily. That doesn't equal to have no potential. What even...
    :drake

Her parents are ninjas.

Yeah, hence "making her the most human of team 7". Rock Lee as well yet no one criticizes him for that. :giogio

There are characters with special heritage e.g hinata and hidden/family jutsu e.g ino who are much weaker than Sakura.

Bloodlinee limit, demons, hidden/family jutsu aren't always everything. Sakura and Rock Lee are the best example of that imo.

What about her medical ninjutsu and chakra control? :lbj

So she has to be on par with Lee to be considered a hard worker?

Right there the development so many complain she doesn't have. :camby

Yeah, because even though she has no special heritage she still has the potencial and hard work in her favor.

It was stated during the war arc she caught up to them and while I definitely don't think that was unbelievable and that her power up was an asspull (pls it was foreshadowed as hell) like many of you do but I do think it should have happened sooner. Or at least having her fight more prior that would have given more foundation to that.

Anyways that was before the final god power ups where Kishi fucked up big again.

Yeah, I agree.

From what I remember he planned on giving her a fight but it was shut down by his editors.

Agree as well.

I think that was the definitely the case taking into account his past interviews.

No. It was to make her more popular.

Which honesly I don't understand why he was so obsessed with Sakura's popularity yet did nothing to give her more panel time. I wonder if the editors were also at fault in this. Because I think one has to have the common sense that making her prettier wasn't obviously the solution and despite everything she was still a popular character. She made it to the top 10 in most of the official polls. More panel time and fights would have made the difference.

:wow
    While I think she had the best intentions by doing all of that, if Kishi really thought he was doing good to her popularity by making her lying about liking God Naruto.... he only made it worse. Naruto self inserts are still to this day crying over such a rejection. Most of the excessive hate Sakura receives from the western fandom comes from the very fact she didn't want to get into Naruto pants but Sasuke's.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  12. LesExit Empty without rats... & F America

Don't forget about Minato. Who the heck is a part of the super powerful Namikaze ninja family he came from again..? Oh ya...nobodies :awesome. Minato was just good.

I will say the same thing I always say with this topic. We don't need 3 ridiculous god level characters. Don't make Sakura as strong as Naruto and Sasuke. Just make Sasuke and Naruto weaker. The only way for Sakura to have been able to compete with them is with some weird "god" hand out powers. The power level inflation was so bad. One of my least favorite parts of the War Arc was seeing Naruto have to hand out his own power just so people could be of any help. I think Sakura got to a good powerlevel. Kishi just needed to show her development more and not just off screen her and pull out a power that we should've known she was working on.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Rifulofthewest Active Member

It always seemed unfair to me, she did not have to be in love with Naruto and most of her haters, they are because they insert themselves in naruto and feel rejected (although I think that kishimoto should not have made Sakura be a drag of Sasuke, their relationship is still quite toxic).

14. sakuraboobs ☆ sakura-chan~! ☆

15. Arthas Anko's Lover

Yes, most human as in ordinary as in being a 'normal' ninja in a Team of ab-normal ninjas.

Never saw or even heard of them in the manga or DB for that matter so will take your word for it.

Rock Lee counters this by having an extreme work ethic and still is not close to Sasuke or Naruto your point?
    Minato whom LesExit mentioned was described as a Tensai from the beginning.

I do agree that Sakura is stronger then other people who have 'advantages'

BUT

You are trying to say she should be equal to Naruto and Sasuke who not only have those advantages but are Tensei and got given further boosts and have been working hard since day 1.

No. Thank You.

You seemed to misunderstand the problem and the point I made. In my post I even complimented Sakura for going as far as she has (i.e surpassing some other people with 'regular advantages'). Congrats, she worked hard and overcome. However that does not mean she should be equal other people who have extreme advantages and also worked hard even longer then she did.

At that point people would be laughing at Sasuke + Naruto + Madra + Hashi etc. They have SM, Huge+Potent chakra, Bloodlines like Sharingan and Mokuton and Biju's, have been praised as Tensei but still a 'normal' girl equaled them despite all their hard work?

You know some people are laughing at Kages right now? 40 Year GENIUS Ninjas who have been working hard all their lives and 17 year olds (Naruto + Sasuke) surpassed them.

It's one thing if Naruto and Sasuke were basically sitting on their behinds and not progressing and simply relying on their advantages but Kishi wrote both these guys as being very hard workers.

What about Naruto's Wind, Sasuke's Fire + Lightning and their blood line / jinchuuriki abilities? Compare Sakura's Chakra control against the Sharingan (normal) or KN0 mode or SM mode if you want. Compare How easily Sasuke and Naruto learnt their elements to how Sakura's medical jutsu.

Again you are misrepresenting the problem. Sakura is OUTSTANDING in comparision to the Rookies. Never denied that. Never will. That being said you are comparing her to pretty much God-Tier characters in Talent/abilities.

No but she actually has to work hard to be considered one. Show me one instance of her really training in Part 1. Naruto chased down Kakashi + Jiraiya for training. Sasuke did the same (for Kakashi). Sakura meanwhile was dieting + considered training more as spending time with Sasuke then training.

Sasuke and Naruto had greater potential and have been working harder for longer. I made a post on this ages ago:
    Spoiler:

If you think Sakura was equal to EMS Sasuke or whatever mode Naruto had at that time them I am not going to bother to argue with you. Like most people I found that whole thing laughable.

The eternal problem of Manga-ka's. Do I spend panel time and possibly loose sales on trying to make an unpopular character more popular or do I focus more on the actual popular characters?

That being said @Turrin has a MUCH better + detailed explanation.

Spoiler:

Well partially that but another BIG problem is that she was still into Sasuke after all he had done in general and to her specifically. I don't think people would have been that upset if she started dating Lee or Shino for example.

16. Iwanko Well-Known Member

This is the main problem with her character throughout the series.

17. Yin Yin Within Yin God, Aged Up Sarada Uchiha / Boruto

Germany, Japan, Mexico
    Sakura's strenght boosts are completly fine with me to show that not all sheer strenght peeps are males and add diversity to the mix.
    Ps: I find her shyness cute is all as well. I like your ava btw cause it reminds me of Shiro from No Game No Life!
    :shuvi :heart

18. Iwanko Well-Known Member

Shyness ? Are you talking about Kishis Sakura?

19. SonOfMan (ง •̀_•́)ง

She should have been more useful and capable in part 1

20. Sequester Lacking in Luster

Why? from the very start of the series it was stated that Naruto and Sasuke were on a totally different level in terms of potential... I think they made her plenty strong by the end of the series. She surpassed her mentor which was one of the sannin and a kage.

Giving her some bullshit like wood release is laughable tbh.

21. SakuraLover16 Truth, Justice, and LEGS

I think she is great as is someone said she doesn't need to get stronger Naruto and Sasuke need to be weakened. She was at a perfect place during the war arc I also feel that she needed at least one brand new jutsu (she has the healing power alteration technique but right now its featless). I don't think power level is the problem but her character was so messed up that any development she got tended to ruin her popularity even more. Especially anything dealing with Sasuke when a person has a strong opinion about something no matter what evidence you give contradicting it is still ignored.

22. Hussain Well-Known Member

That would have been an insult to Naruto and Sasuke. lol

Naruto from the Uzumaki clan, has Kurama, a reincarnation of Asura, and got Hago's power
    Sasuke from the Uchiha clan, has itachi's eyes, a reincarnation of Indra, and got Hago's power.

And then a regular girl being as powerful as they are by her own power and without any help?
    If I were Naruto/Sasuke, I would have killed myself out of embarrassment. Kappa

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  23. Yagami1211 The Dragon of Dojima

France
    Catdank Faction:
    That's like Krillin outperforming Goku :mjlol

24. Arles Celes The Psychologist

It would be cool if a regular girl(meaning sans Kekkai Genkai or some other genetic magic) managed to get to god tier by having incredible talent(like Minato) and being a hardworker(like Guy or Lee).

Alas Kishi took a more realistic approach.

Unless you are blessed in one way or another the chance of becoming a Kage is QUITE small..

Kakashi is the only Kage in a while who does not come from some renowned clan nor does possess some KG or bijuu.

Hell...all current MCs of Boruto are ninja princes/princesses from renowned clans. Even if Kawaki is not he at least received some blessing from the Otsutsuki to improve his genetic disposition.

No average Joe from a nameless clan who becomes great by just training hard.

Sakura is likely either the 3rd or 4th strongest in Konoha- a village with plenty of renowned clans and genetic marvels. Most impressive.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  25. Yagami1211 The Dragon of Dojima

France
    Catdank Faction:
    Personally, I see Naruto & Sasuke as anomalies or irregularities rather than the rules. Most of the ninjas are like Sakura, not like Naruto & Sasuke.

26. Arthas Anko's Lover

Kakashi is the son of the White Fang (Genius equal to the Sannin) and is a Genius himself.
    Raikage A, as far as I recall does not have a bloodline limit.
    Tsunade technically does not have a bloodline limit (apart from enhanced strength maybe?)

To put it simply the issue is not that Talented + Hardworking people cannot become strong without advantages. They can.

The issue is that "Advantaged" people can also be Talented + Hardworking and in that case they will likely become stronger faster + have a higher ceiling.

Think of it this way you have three people :

Person A : Born with advantages but works moderately at best.
    Person B : Born without advantages but works hard.
    Person C : Born with advantages AND also works hard.

Now starting off, Person B will be below Person A & C.

Later Person B will definitely surpass Person A due to hard work.

Person C though has worked just as hard as Person B and likely improved just as much meaning the gap has not decreased.

This is the main problem with Rock Lee's Theme of : Hard Work will surpass Genius.

It is only true as long as the Genius is not working equally hard themselves.

Edit:

To bring this post back to Sakura is that for most of Part 1, she was not depicted as being either a genius OR a hard worker.

Naruto + Sasuke : These guys were working hard from Day 0 and even during their academy days and had their respective advantages as well.

Sakura started working hard and found the 'niche' for her talents at the end of Part 1.

She's suffering from a very delayed start as well.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  27. Yagami1211 The Dragon of Dojima

France
    Catdank Faction:
    If anything, Sakura's advantage was always being ... ahem ... book smart. And have a genin+ level chakra control as the start of the story. Only when Part 2 came along, Sakura was given a clear goal. And only then she started to work on it.

28. Purchase Wade has his own Robin

You got it completely wrong OP. The problem isn't how strong Sakura was it was the ridiculous power creep Naruto and Sauske had during the war. During the war they went from upper Kage level fighters to literal gods.

Characters like Sakura and Gaara ended just about where I would have resonably projected.

I've always thought that the series would have been better if it ended with Naruto/Sasuke around the level they were at the end of the Pain arc/Itachis death. The majority of the war arc is just constant power ups in the course of 3 days, making the 1st Hokage, Madara, Naruto and Sasuke into levels that were untouchable.

The sad part is, if It had ended with a final fight between Sasuke and Naruto after Pain/Itachis defeat I'd remember Naruto in a much more positive light. But instead the war made me completly drop the manga.

So no Sakura shouldn't be as strong as Eos Naruto and Sasuke, those power levels never made sense. Instead Eos Sakura should have been right around her current level which is still around low-mid kage level, but still under Pain Arc Naruto and Itachi fight Sasuke. That would have been a much better reflection of the original legendary 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  29. Arles Celes The Psychologist

Sakura was a genius...in terms of chakra control. Putting even Naruto and Sasuke to shame at that aspect of ninja skills.

She took said talent to its utmost peak allowing her to learn even Byakugou.

She is also very booksmart making her great scientist material.

Aaand she was said to have great genjutsu potential which she unfortunately did not focus on.

So IMO Sakura was more of a "genius" than she expected.

The "genius" thing among ninja varies anyway and it does not always come down to learning things much faster than others as Sasuke or Neji are examples of.

Minato had incredible reflexes which allowed him to use Hirashin with such effieciency.

Shikamaru had an incredible intelligence which he used to anticipate his opponents moves and to outsmart them.

Hiruzen had incredible learning skills which allowed him to learn any non KG based jutsu in Konoha.

Tobirama had incredible skills when it comes down to invent new jutsus.

But yeah, hard work PLUS genius> Hard work/genius alone.

Still, hard work and even genius stopped being important as the story progressed tho. It came down more to awakening super skills like SM or MS by either being blessed with the chakra levels to accomplish the former or the genetic blessing to unlock the latter. And then came the Six Path thing with only reincanates of demi gods or full Otsutsuki that allow one to get to the absolute top. Neither a guy as talented as Minato or as hardworking as Guy can hope to reach those heighs.

It can be described as being "plot blessed"...and being "more special than you...and everyone else".

30. Corvida Anda de dia la noche es mia

Spain
    fixed