• Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Single by choice: India’s women reject marriage in their millions

Kisame3rd14

Anyone not married before 30 is suspect. But as long as they don’t have children i guess it doesn’t really matter. For what it’s worth, their sexual culture is pretty strange over there.

stream

Do something, Naruto!
Regardless religion, is it not contradictory to be anti death penalty and pro abortion as well?
Oh, it's very easy to justify. Unborn babies are not people yet, they don't have a right to live. Might sound brutal, but essentially that's the argument. Going into more details, people disagree what is the exact moment when it stops being fine to interrupt the natural process leading to the birth of a child... And then, there's the fractal of possible situations, the life of the mother being in danger, the genetic defects, etc. etc.

mr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Even though India hasn't had a One-Child Policy, their fertility rate has been plummeting for as long as we've had World Bank records:

Average number of children per Indian woman

1960: 5.0
1970: 4.8
1980: 3.7
1990: 3.2
2000: 2.7
2010: 2.5

It won't be long before the average number of children goes below 2, and the population starts shrinking.

mr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
My older sister for example refused to marry anyone until she completed her Master's of Engineering degree. That would not have happened 20 years ago.

Out of curiosity, how many siblings do you have?

If you were born in 1993 (as implied earlier), the World Bank data says that the average Indian family back then had 3.0 children. I'm wondering if yours was above average or below average.

Le Male Absolu

Oh, it's very easy to justify. Unborn babies are not people yet, they don't have a right to live. Might sound brutal, but essentially that's the argument. Going into more details, people disagree what is the exact moment when it stops being fine to interrupt the natural process leading to the birth of a child... And then, there's the fractal of possible situations, the life of the mother being in danger, the genetic defects, etc. etc.
Yes I expect the argument that inborn babies are not seen as living human yet. In my opinion, it’s a way to confort ourselves that what we doing with abortion is ok.
For my personal opinion I accept both death penalty and abortion but both should be extremely regulated to limit it as much as possible.
I believe (at least in France) that the policy is to encourage abortion rather than prevent it. Our ministers shouldn’t be happy to see the rise of abortions but rather horrified.

Amol

Chief of Wisdom
Out of curiosity, how many siblings do you have?

If you were born in 1993 (as implied earlier), the World Bank data says that the average Indian family back then had 3.0 children. I'm wondering if yours was above average or below average.
We are 3 siblings so your guess is correct. I am the youngest.

Educated couples don't have more than 2 kids nowadays. One good friend of mine have decided to only have one kid. He got married early like when he was 21 or something (he also has a very good high paying job).

I think he wants more freedom and sees more kids as chains on him.

wibisana

still newbie
We are 3 siblings so your guess is correct. I am the youngest.

Educated couples don't have more than 2 kids nowadays. One good friend of mine have decided to only have one kid. He got married early like when he was 21 or something (he also has a very good high paying job).

I think he wants more freedom and sees more kids as chains on him.
is India have some sort of policy?

i mean we have China extreeme one child policy,

indonesia too since Soeharto era 50yrs ago been promoting family planning/2 Childs policy, that is why my dad's generation, many have only 2 kids. due to free contraception or at least very affordable in provided by govt.

my generation tho. personally right now i think i cant afford to raise more than 1 child.

The Great One

is India have some sort of policy?

i mean we have China extreeme one child policy,

indonesia too since Soeharto era 50yrs ago been promoting family planning/2 Childs policy, that is why my dad's generation, many have only 2 kids. due to free contraception or at least very affordable in provided by govt.

my generation tho. personally right now i think i cant afford to raise more than 1 child.
In India there is family planning but it's recommend only to Hindu.

While Muslims can have 4 wives(or more) with as many children they want.

No family planning is recommended to Muslim community.

mr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
In India there is family planning but it's recommend only to Hindu.

While Muslims can have 4 wives(or more) with as many children they want.

No family planning is recommended to Muslim community.

Male polygamy doesn't affect the net number of children born. Assuming there is an equal number of men and women is the community, one man having four wives just means that there are three guys somewhere else who have zero wives.

From the perspective of the women, the number of children they give birth to is not affected by whether the four of them share one husband or if they have four unique husbands.

After all, women generally cannot become pregnant again until after they've completed their current pregnancy (plus a few months of breastfeeding), so it's only necessary for a woman to have sex with her husband about once a year for her to be at the highest "reproduction capacity" possible. So a husband sharing his attention between four women does not make them reproduce any slower than they would otherwise.

Top Bottom