1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Slow translated manga

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Drew, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Drew Member

Nope this isn't a dig thread at one of the translating groups, instead at Viz, we're currently on Naruto 11 with 12 hitting stores Dec.5 and 13 rolling in March ish.

Yet French versions/German versions are in the twenties (24 I believe?) and Chinese almost up to date, anyone have any idea for the reason to this delay?

Tags:
  2. Wrath Mourning

It's because Viz also publish Naruto in their Shonen Jump magazine, which is only monthly. They don't publish the volumes until SJ has released their respective chapters, which is why they come out so sporadically. Other countries either don't have this problem, don't care about it or have been doing it longer.

It also means that the volumes are coming out at a slower rate than the new ones in Japan, so the gap will actually get bigger and bigger over time. I believe I calculated when SJ started that it would take them at least a decade to catch up to where OP was at the time, though they may have sped up since then.

3. Sexta Espada Kylahullu

Wrath said it all. though i must ask him, how did you calculate that? It must've been very time consuming.

4. Drew Member

Thanks for clearing it up for me, I had noticed that they were about on track with the Shonen Jumps, the August issue synchs with the end of Volume 11. More than a little annoying however.

As a tag line I'm also curious if any of you with greater knowledge than I know of a way to setup a SJ subscription? Having to travel quite far to get SJ and then if they're out or, as the case has been the past two months, they didn't get it importing a replacement can be a little costly.

5. Wrath Mourning

Uhh, it was a while ago, but I think I took an average of the number of One Piece chapters per issue and then worked out how many months it would take for it to catch up to where the OP manga was in Japan, then divided by twelve.
    Dude, I'd like to help, but they don't even publish SJ in my country.

6. Sexta Espada Kylahullu

That makes sense. The translated OP manga in the US is screwed then. Glad I don't follow it. Long time to keep up with a series.....I wonder why they only do SJ monthly in the US.

7. T4R0K Searching for a custom title

In France, we get a new Naruto volume every 2 month, I think. Same for Bleach. Maybe we just started having them sooner than the USA.

8. Sexta Espada Kylahullu

WOW, you have to wait 2 months to get a single volume? IIRC, we have to wait three. I think anyway, I haven't bought any of the volumes at the store. I just read them online. I still read half a volume when ever I'm in a book store though.

9. ZE E?E

I buy the Spanish versions, and we are currently on volume 24, the ending of kimimaro and gaara fight.

10. Drew Member

I'm in Britain too, was hoping someone had an idea of where to setup an import subscription, my local forbidden planet offers it but you have to subscribe to 5 different comic/magazines to get it.

Ahh well, thanks for all the info guys, currently writing a stinking letter to Viz, 4 months per Volume is just retarded, I believe we're in the late 30s now? So around 20 volumes to go, 80 months so around 6 and a half years to own the timeskip Manga....

11. ☆Indigo☆ totally high on PoT

It's hard, though...they can't speed it up unless they start just releasing 4 chapters in each Shounen Jump rather than 3. Otherwise the volumes would get ahead of the Shounen Jump, and that just wouldn't really work. =/

12. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

Does Viz edit the manga as well? Other than just flipping it to be read form right to left. To tell the truth I was reading the Viz Inuyasha manga the other day and I was having trouble, because I am not so used to reading Manga from right to left.

13. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

That is how Manga is suppose to be read.

14. Shishi-O Oda Is God

to drag out their source of income and torment subscribers who don't know about narutofan:laugh

15. byron sweeper

one simple solution.. learn english

16. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

I am sorry I mixed that up...I am used to reading Manga from right to left...viz flips it to be read from left to right(Western style). I had a hard time because I am used to reading the manga in their original format from right to left

17. sesshoumarus New Member

Well get this. The weekly manga in Japan is even delayed in a sense. Korea actually gets the manga first. Usually Mondays. Then Japan on Wednesdays. I'm gonna go and assume the manga gets manufactured by Shounen Jump each week in Korea, and then shipped to Japan. Besides that tid-bit of info I got for ya, Wrath is dead on.