1. Halloween Drawing Contest is happening now!
    drawing contest 04
    Click [HERE] to join up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Think your debating skills are the best around? Want to prove that your know what your talking about? Then come and join us for a Tournament and show your peers how to really debate.
    OBD Tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by SoulFire, Nov 19, 2004.

1. SoulFire

Yes?
    No?
    Why?

I smoke. Hah! why? its called an addiction.

Tags:
  2. hanabishi

Addictions suck. Smoking is expensive and bad for your health.

Addicted to shopping is expensive and also bad for your health.

I don't care that people smoke, it just bugs me when someone will smoke by other people. Like when I wait for the bus at the mall and there are a bunch of people sitting on the benches (none of them smoking), and then a smoker comes along and stands right there blowing smoke all over.

I hate those rude smokers. They should consider non smokers. WE choose not to smoke, so they should respect that.

3. blind51de

Okay. Smokers just don't seem to get it, and don't seem to care.

Take the sense of smell, what it basically is is a modfied taste sense, you take particles into yourself and your brain analyzes it. So, if you smell a fart or a piece of crap, you're taking shit particles into yourself. So, you basically (and naturally) want to avoid the smells of death.

Smoking = Death. It wouldn't be so bad if it were some sort of injectable/ingestable drug that didn't have residual/surrounding effects. But you are burning poison, breathing it, and forcing the others around you to breathe it. The only reason why I don't spit in the faces of blatent smokers (Oh, I'm sorry, but at least my spit is hundreds of times safer than your smoke), and the reason it's not being regulated any faster is because it's so COMMON.

I don't give a rats ass if bars or bingo halls get smoking bans or not, I'm not liable to go there. Besides, I'd go to a bar to poison myself with alcohol anyhow (yum). What about the rights, though, if the waitresses or cooks that HAVE to work in these places? If they don't want to have breathe the collective poison, they have the right not to.

Smoking is a huge cause of death, but nobody would care unless they saw how huge of a strain it is on the healthcare system (moreso if healthcare is public, like it is in Canada and other places), or if they were diagnosed with cancer or emphysema. Or if you were born with asthma because your mother was too fucking stupid to get pregnant and not be able to quit smoking.

It's fucking rude, not to mention stupid. Smoke on your own time and in your own domain. Not around me in public, or outside the doors like some cool kid. Take up heroin, there's a massive high, and it's less addictive. Chew tabacco. I don't know, commit suicide! Quicker and less troublesome!
    I don't want to take countless bits of poison particles into my body. I should not have to. I should not EVER have to.

4. hanabishi

A lot of smkers want to quit smoking but have trouble. Media and the evil tabacco companies promote smoking and usually people start at a young age and then can't seem to quit.

Nicotine is a drug just like heroin. The affects are different, but they are both highly addictive and cause the brain to produce more or less neurotransmitters. In my town there are a lot of drug addicts.

nicotine binds with the serotonin receptors and causes serotonin to stay in the synapse longer. serotonin of course makes us feel good. If you try to stop smoking them naturally your body is already producing less serotonin because it compensates for the extra serotonin in the synapse. It makes it extremely difficult for those who smoke to quit because of the horrible feelings the lack of serotonin causes. Usually if you take SSRIs it is easier to quit.

But just because smokers feel all good, or want to quit and can't...it doesn't mean they should be rude and smoke by nonsmokers. Somehow my post got off of what I was replying to...but I agree that having to deal with smoke when you are a nonsmoker is a really horrible thing. Makes me cranky, burns my eyes, makes it hard to breathe. And put your butts in the garbage!

I am allowed to rant in the debate section?

5. Tsukiyomi

I hate smoking, when I spend time around someone smoking I start feeling sick to my stomach.

I've also seen people die from smoking related diseases, ever seen someone die of lung cancer? How about from mouth cancer where a big chunk of their face is missing, that's always lovely.

I don't see in this day and age how anyone can start smoking, it's said everywhere by everyone (even the smoking companies) that smoking kills you, it cuts time off your life and is bad for every part and function of your body.

Not only that, but it's horribly unnattractive, I saw this one girl I thought was gorgeous, about an hour later I saw her smoking and the whole image was shattered. She wasn't attractive at all, ever kissing someone after they've smoked? The yellow teeth are also horrible.

6. Lee

i smoke and i have been doing it for years, i have been saying that i will give up but i have been assed to.

7. legan

I smoke, I know what it does to me, I know what it does to others, I keep away from no smokers if I can, I'm trying to quit but I'm weak, get of my case.

8. abfluvver

I don't smoke, but I don't mind people who do--some of my best friends smoke, and I still hang out with them. My mother smokes, I still love her.
    As long as they're not gonna do it around me, I'm fine.

9. legan

blind51de you're a real freaking Drama queen you know that right?

10. cerberus1989

I don't smoke first of all because if you check my profile it would be illegal, and second because my Grandfather died from lung and throat cancer. I am not criticizing anyone for smoking because it is society's fault with all of the publicity it gets that smoking is so common.

11. Aeries

Smoking is an extremely annoying thing to me. I've been around smokers all my life from my family, and it's affected me quite badly. I can't run for long distances, and often times have trouble breathing. I can't even stay out in the cold for long because it makes it harder for me to breathe in the first place, and the tar and crap from the cigarette smoke in my lungs doesn't help me with that at all. Cleaning is also quite a disgusting experience from all the smoke buildup against the walls in the rooms which my parents smoke in.
    The most annoying thing is when smokers complain about needing a cigarette, and having them tell you not to do it and say they'll quit, but really don't make an effort to do so.

12. Mac

unless the person is associated with me personally, then I really don't care what anyone decides to do to their lungs and respiratory system. honestly, I don't look down on it, it's just not something I'm in to. my brother started smoking with the excuse, "Well, by the time I get cancer they'll have medical microbots that they can put inside me to cure me", which I think is ridiculous.

13. Uchiha Suzie

I don't smoke, what a waste of time and money. It does nothing for you but give you breathing problems. Fair enough if you smoke weed you get high and have some fun with it, but cigarette smoking is just pure and simply pointless in my opinion. Waste of time, money and life and for what? Hell if I know...

14. NocturnalMe

Word.

I have maybe smoked two packs of cigarettes in my life. I've not got addicted but i know plenty of people who are. Cigarettes are a huge waste of money too. Once a group of homeless teens stopped me by the college as asked if I could give them some $ for cigarettes....NOT for food, for cigarettes...tell me cigarettes aren't addictive! If that's not proof I dunno what is.

15. Mashy

i dont plan to smoke in the future =\

16. Dtothe3

Well first off mate, you will know from your research, that smokers, during the course of their lifetime, pay far higher taxes then the ordinary man. The amount they pay, will, quite easily take care of any smoking related illnesses bills they would need to cover. Smokers are doing the NHS here in the UK a favour by supporting it.

Secondly, what you inhale during a night in a packed pub full of smokers, accounts to very low levels of the harmful crap in cigarettes. (sorry if my wording is screwed up, it's been a long night). Basically hanging around smokers will do very little too you.

Thirdly, people know what they are in for in they work in those environments. Just like the miners. Just like those out on the oil platforms in the north sea (which has an actual death rate, not all safe work). If they found it that atrocious they would quit.

Fouthly (is that a word?) i was born with a mutated inner ear. Basically i can hear all of jack **** on my one side. I'm not angry with my mum for smoking whilst being pregnant. My mum was addicted. To qoute the bible "Blame the sin, not the sinner".

As you stated, (i think) kids smoke to look cool, they just can't get over the addiction. Do not mistake naivity for stupidity.

And by the way, you are an utter ***clown for even suggesting the idea of so much as a drop of heroin. Heroin can turn anybody into an idiot. It's by far the worst out there.

(why do i quote the Christian Bible? Easiest for people to relate to.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  17. Sandman

Yes? A for about a year then I quit
    No?
    Why? Athletics and smokeing not a good mixture.

18. Aruka

I'm totally against smoking. Esp. now, 'cause it's the reason why one of my cyber friend's is sick.

19. Sandman

Cyber friends how gay dos that sound... ^^ anyways he's probaly sick becuase he smoked something cheap more likely.

20. blind51de

Second-hand smoke gave me mild asthma...

21. Aidire

My grandpa died from smoking. He had lung cancer. I was only 6 at the time. It left me with no grandpas (don't know what happened to my dad's dad). Since then, I've really disliked smokers. I've even started fake coughing when I walk by them. Don't know if they notice (or care) though. It irritates me when these smokers don't take other people into consideration, especially when a majority of the population (mainly families) don't like it. And, thank God the people of Florida voted on an ammendment to ban smoking in public places (mainly restaurants). Makes me like this state just a little bit more.

But, now that I look at it, you know what? Let them smoke. If they get cancer and die, it's their own fault. I have no sympathy for them.

22. Karthan

Smoking is expensive. Therefore it is a addiction I can ever do. simple.

EDIT: CANNOT EVER DO**

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  23. Rainmaker

I don't mind people smoking, and I don't plan on it either. But hey, if you want an early death, smoke away.

24. ahheng21

In my humble opinion, I believe that smoking is an irresponsible practice.

Take for example, smokers who like to smoke in lifts, or even in open spaces. You can't control where the smoke goes, and often, non-smokers (Or people who hate smoke, like me) are forced to tolerate it because we can't go anywhere else. (Where is my right to clean, fresh air) This would perhaps be a minor point if passive smoking is harmless. Yet, it has been shown that passive smoking has harmful effects that might even surpass active smoking.

Another point, perhaps more minor, is that of littering. I'm sure many of us has seen cigarette stubs strewn all over the floor; or that smoker dumping his half done cigarette on the floor because he wants to catch the bus.

Social issues aside, smoking is also detrimental to health.

Smoking contributes to diseases such as lung cancer, nicotine addiction, emphysema, increased risk for hypertension, increased risk for heart disease...And the list goes on.

Smoking also wastes money. A packet of cigarettes costs perhaps $5 (I'm not a smoker, so I have no idea) which could be better spent or saved up. It might seem a negligibly small amount, but for those pack-a-day or two-packs-a-day smokers, this will eventually add up.

With so many negativities concerning smoking, I'm wondering why people still smoke (Or even perceive it as cool); and perhaps why no one has banned smoking.

Just my two cents.

25. DeathWolf

i dun smoke....its bad for u...

26. OnyxZro

Yay for Florida!!! They don't know how to vote for a president but they sure know how to vote for a good amendment

27. legan

Sorry if I don't shed a tear of sypathy, I have asthma, I smoke it's not the end of the World.

Here let me show the way you're describing it.

Smoker: *takes a toke*
    Non smoker: OMG there is a little bit of smoke coming towards me *Hack, cough, hack, Dies*

28. Ryokutetsai

ive smoked before and i dont plan on doing it again

29. blind51de

Your ignorance is still astounding.
    *steals your cookie*

30. nightdevil

i hate it when the smoke comes direct contact to me. it sucks and smell sucky.

disadvantages more than advantages.. why smoke then?

say NO to smoking!