1. img
    Come enter in the Dragon Ball Banner Contest!
    Deadline for entries: February 29th by 12:00pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Valentines Event!
    Click here to cast your vote for your favorite couple!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Bounced e-Mails Issue

Some accounts cannot post in NF anymore due to an e-mail related issue!
    If you are among those members, please, check this thread for more information about how to proceed!
    Or create a support ticket by going here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

So how does this route thing work?

Discussion in 'Fate/Stay Night' started by reiatsuflow, Oct 12, 2014.

1. reiatsuflow

I'm new to the franchise after Fate/zero. From what I understand, fate stay has three routes with different heroines. I know fate stay night has saber. I know unlimited blade works has rin. I know heaven's feel has sakura. I know the route seems to branch into these different stories at some point in time and different things happen in different routes. At first I thought it was just about showing the same story from three different perspectives, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Different hings happen to the characters.

Is there any plot related reason for the split into three different tellings? Something to do with the grail? Is there cohesion? Are heaven's feel, fate stay night and unlimited blade works three different stories unrelated to each other but set in the same time?

With minimal to no spoilers, what's up with the routes for an anime only watcher who only started with fate/zero? I know this series started out as some kind of interactive game, but as an anime, it seems strange to think there's going to be three wildly different versions of the same time period with different heroes having different things happen to them and they have no relation to each other.

Tags:
  2. Inuhanyou

Your actually watching it in reverse, even though its kind of ok :lmao

Basically...FSN focuses on 3 alternate timelines in the Fate universe. These 3 timelines have 3 different heroines and focus on how Shirou's perspective and outlook on life change depending on events that transpire.

Fate has Saber

UBW has Rin

HF has Sakura

The twist is that they all start the same way, at the same time. The prologue, days 1-3(episodes 00 and 01 in this adaption) are always the same, but depending on what the player does in the visual novel, the scenario branches off into the different routes.

Fate Zero, the prequel is essentially a combining of elements from all 3 routes, setting up the possibility for every plotline in FSN to occur.

Its the same with Fate Hollow Ataraxia, it takes the 3 timelines from the result of the game and puts them together in one world, hilarity ensues.

3. babaGAReeb

4. Inuhanyou

5. reiatsuflow

It's too bad the routes have no relationship to each other. When I first heard of it I figured there was some plot related cause like the grail initiating a split in reality, or something. It sounds like they're alternate side stories, with no route being more canon than the other. I wonder if Ufotable could have mashed them all together and made some definitive fate version. I know they didn't, but I wonder.

6. Inuhanyou

We'll never know now. No point thinking about it. What you should take into account though, is even though the routes are not connected, plotwise they connect the dots of each other so to speak. Things that arent explored or only hinted or implied in certain routes get fully explained and focused on in others. In that way all 3 routes are imperative to fully understanding the story.

Of course you don't need to understand the story 100% to enjoy it. UBW is gonna be pretty cool to watch on its own, and it doesn't have many holes that need to be filled by other routes unlike Fate and HF. HF in particular can't exist on its own without Zero and atleast 1 other of the two routes.

7. NMRivalry

You just need to pay close attention and it starts to make sense.

8. reiatsuflow

I was reading some type/moon wiki stuff about Akasha, and apparently there's evidence that the parallel works and routes actually have a plot related aspect to them. The universe apparently has the ability to maintain parallel worlds, so it sounds like the videogame 'choose your own adventure' motif was sort of worked into the universe.

Having only watched kara no kyoukai and zero, this comment didn't make sense, but it was intereseting-

9. Bill from Accounting

Ok,so i was very curious to figure out what exactly changes between heaven's feel and unlimited blade works that makes the routes split, so i went ahead and slightly spoiled myself and watched a lil bit of what happens in hf by watching what happens directly after the prologue of each route, and my question is
    Spoiler:
    where was archer during the saber/beserker fight after meeting with kotomine in heaven's feel?Why did saber have to deal with him alone(which led to shirou's stomach getting torn out at which point i stopped spoiling myself)? I had fast forwarded during the playthroughs i was watching on youtube and it seemed like most of ubw and hf was similar up until this point(outside of shirou meeting that old matou dude), so i think i missed what happened to archer, but didnt want to look for it since i'd be searching through a five hour video

That's the only question i'm curious about, please no other spoilers if possible

10. Ryxus of the North

Spoiler:
    In HF Shirou does NOT uses his first command spell to stop Saber from attacking Archer, thus he is damaged and isn't around when Berserker and Ilya appears.

11. Bill from Accounting