1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

So once again a chapter where most of it is piddling about with pathetic fodder

Discussion in 'Ohara Library' started by San Juan Wolf, Sep 13, 2018.

1. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

Meanwhile Law takes what, four weeks to cross a distance Zoro and Luffy covered in what, two pages ?

:lmao

Also I'm counting Holdem into this. Dude seems really useless and I'll be surprised if he even gets up after this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. MYJC Cunning Linguist

At this point, anybody besides Kaido, The Calamities, and other Supernova are fodder to Luffy and Zoro.

3. Gyro Retired Staff

They're not gonna fight Kaido right off the bat. i don't know what people expected

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Samehadaman Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Holdem is Sheepshead tier.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. spiritmight High Frequency, Bitches

Pretty sure the point is that Luffy and Zoro continue to fuck shit up despite the warnings/planning of Kinemon and Law. They've already fucked with two Headliners and a prominent member of the samurai class.

The situation is clearly escalating every week and it's obvious that a Calamity is on the way.

Have some patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Samehadaman Well-Known Member

Portugal
    I am fine with Luffy curbstomping douchebags by the way. I just don't want it turned into multiple chapter subplots. Anyone that remembers Dressrosa here knows why. Vaccuum lady.. countdown..

7. luffy no haki 1st seat

The real question is why anyone would think this wasnt gonna happen.

I mean, fucking look at Holdem. Most of people understood Urashima was fodder from the beginning, no reason tbbelieve other wise about a joke looking guy with a lion head in his belly regardless of his rank.

8. Etherborn Cosmic Impulse

Sokovia
    If you're lower ranked than a Yonko Commander and you're not a Supernova, you ain't shit to Luffy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

Supernova, Admirals, Yonko Commanders(Including FM, of course) and Yonko.

Bellow that, it's beyond me why Oda still even wastes time with fodders. He's just wasting our time, really.

I am already dubbing Wano the biggest disappointment since Brazil in the World Cup 2018(I'm ok now guys, I think I got over it).

10. Superstars Well-Known Member

Dude this is Oda's forte. Drag out petty situations with fodder and huge character spread page intro's and prolong the arcs with backstories.

11. White Rabbit Yumi Carrotoid

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. Bernkastel Welcome child of man

Bakka Oda..he should just show the fights with admirals and yonkou and be done...why even write a story anyway? even then some here will whine :oldshrug

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

*sigh* We are not saying that. We are saying that Luffy taking out fodder got old ... 800 chapters ago.

Even worse it's the fact that he is using a named attack to do so. Not using CoC blast.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. luffy no haki 1st seat

COC blasts are shit tho, there are even unnamed fodder that can resist them.

15. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

I don't expect that, but I do expect to set up the characters for this arc in a way where they will be important and where something interesting is going to come of it.

Sadly this arc has been nothing but hamfisted tear jerkers about people starving with polluted water and rotting ingredients, which could be a good angle but Oda's basically only devoted a very brief spark of attention to it, preffering instead to focus our attention on unimportant seeming and underwhelming characters like Urashima (why the hell did this dude have so much screentime again ?) and Holdem.

By this point in the WCI arc we had already seen a significant amount of new characters and had setup for various plot points. Depending on where you say the arc begins that may include the introduction of the Germa, the setup for the Reverie, the hook on Baltigo getting ravaged by Teach, a cameo by Kaido that also told us what happened to Kidd, an introduction to Pudding, the mysterious warning carved onto the Sunny, Big Mom's whole tea party Song, her hunger pang rampage and the "death" of Moscato, showing off Alarile (aka Aladin x Praline) along with some Jimbei stuff (halo Marcelle :cat) with wanting to join the crew, the roulette and the introduction of the Seducing woods with fake Sanji, Bruleé-Luffy and Pound.

ALL OF THIS within 9 chapters (823-831)

Even Dressrosa, with it's overly bloated pacing, still managed to introduce characters and concepts that were interesting by that point.

16. TheOmega Real Nigga

Hey, have some consideration! This is a Japan based island/arc and the pollution is a serious thing.

The nukes from WW2 poisoned and mutated people which the smile users are a metaphor for and the Fukushima nuclear crisis is still an actual issue which is poisoning the land and water.

You might think it's blah blah these characters are living in pollution but this is some real life shit that the people of the manga's target country are dealing with.

This is a real issue in Oda's nation, so of course he's gonna dedicate time and focus to it

17. Kevintju Maybe it's time to get a set...

I don't understand people complaining about a world building chapter after 900+ chapters... what manga have they been reading all this time? Is Luffy taking out a fodder really the only thing they got from this chapter?

18. Superstars Well-Known Member

But that's what he/she is saying. Write a story, don't stall it with fodder time and set ups...progress it by short changing fodder and engage the set ups.

19. Kings punch Well-Known Member

Yeah its getting pretty boring now. Don't know why Oda has to drag shit on. His manga is already long as shit....The Luffy/Zoro messing shit up duo was awesome, but don't overdo it. Let the straw hats shine on beating these mid level beast pirate crew members. These types of arcs don't even need to be that long anymore. Luffy is so strong, he should just jump right up to the top of the castle and fight the boss. No more alabastas, dressrosas, wanos. Lets do a quick wano war then move onto elbaf/final war/raftel shit. I still want reverie back btw

20. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Fighting fodders is necessary but it is being over done. Its one thing if garbage like chopper or ussop or Sanji are fighting but we absolutely should have had fewer panels of Zoro and Luffy fighting.

Should have been an instant blitz from page 2, no need to waste time with dumb shit like speed instead we could have spent a bit more time with law

21. Uruguay1950 Well-Known Member

They're the same rank, what did you expect !

22. Bernkastel Welcome child of man

Holdem isnt fodder..and its called set up..so now even using named attacks is a problem.. Cool.. I guess staring someone to death is much better like Zoro did with Monet..people just whine to whine..and thqts cause most are interested in feats and powerlevels.

23. Kevintju Maybe it's time to get a set...

One Piece is an adventure manga.

Now repeat till you get the meaning of those 2 sentences

24. Amol Chief of Wisdom

Oda should certainly manage panel time more effectively. He could have wrote Urashima and Holdem together. Luffy beats Holdem, O-Kiku cuts down that useless Sumo and Zoro steals the food from Speed. He could have set up Law Vs Hawkins in same chapter too. Everybody gets to do something instead of just Luffy show.
    Basically story of last 3 chapters can very easily be condensed into one chapter without losing any meaning.
    Oda drags shit too much. It is valid criticism.

25. Edward Teach Well-Known Member

LOOL

You expect the OL to understand this ?? I argued the whole section trying to convince them that it's not a battle manga and I was labeled crazy for that.

I even used a freaking quote from oda himself where he says hed lose to dragon ball if it was a pure battle manga but the OL gotta be the OL

26. HaxHax  Galatians 4:16

Wait was there supposed to be "adventure" in this chapter?

27. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

Funny that 9 chapters last arc managed to have all of the stuff listed here happen and be set up.

Now try telling me how you can produce a comparative list for the last 9 chapters.

28. akainuDragonFan Well-Known Member

Exactly, and there's very few of those lvl of people.

Do you want there to be a timeskip through wano to the end? That's the only way to get to the big fights quick. Putting plot over logic and realness is bad writing. Making those fights happen right off the bat is completely unrealistic when no one knows who they are and they're trying to stay undercover. Oda has always had a slow pace as well and it has actually greatly improved over the last few years. Post dressrosa every arc has had faster and better pacing than all arcs pre zou. Any1 who was expecting a tough fight right off the bat for undercover "yonkou" luffy needs to switch over to fairy tale where some one can save the world from destruction then a few chapters later have a hard fight with some randoms.

29. Bernkastel Welcome child of man

You mean the unique "arc" that was just info dump and revelations?

Cool how many arcs were like the Reverie?

Reverie was interesting cause big players were involved and lots of new info but it wasn't a normal arc and you shouldn't set it as an example for next arcs.

Also I bet if it was Shanks or Mihawk or -insert big name- running around in circles clearing fodders,90% of the people would drip for every panel.

30. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

> NOT FODDER

To Luffy, yes he is fodder. And it got boring to watch him get rid of the fodder quite some time ago. Some interactions with fodder is cool and all, like, for example, he blitzing Holdem and taking O-Tama before Holdem even realized what happened, that is cool. But he could have knocked him out in the same panel. Why waste our time like this ? You knew, I knew, THE PIGEON CRAPPING ON MY ROOF KNEW THAT LUFFY WAS GOING TO PUNCH HIM. The dude punched a Celestial Dragon when he knew that an admiral would come his way. A CELESTIAL DRAGON AND AN ADMIRAL. WHEN HE COULDN'T EVEN DEFEAT A PACIFISTA PROPERLY WITHOUT HIS WHOLE CREW HAVING TO AID HIM. EVERYBODY KNEW THAT, NOW, THAT HE ACTUALLY DEFEATED(Tied/defeated, whatever) A YONKO FM AND HE DOES NOT GIVE TWO SHITS ABOUT A YONKO FM(If Jack really is a FM, we don't have that info) HE WOULD BE "Oh no, if I punch him, Jack will appear" ? Fuck no.

He could have handled the Sumo idiot and Holdem at the same time, or at least in the same chapter. This pacing is horrible. Not to mention the inconsistency. Luffy is able to blitz Holdem but gets blitzed by FUCKING GAZELLEMAN ? SO FODDER THAT HE IS BELLOW HOLDEM IN THE TIER OF FODDERNESS ? WHILE ALSO POSSESSING TOP TIER COO ? Yeah, IT IS BORING AND INCONSISTENT. We had three chapters that were all just the same: Luffy jobbing to Gazelleman and (Based)Batman, Luffy wasting time with sumo fodder, Luffy wasting time with Holdem.

I'm not saying that he needs to arrive on the island and istantnly Kaido appear in front of him. I'm saying that, for example, Luffy could have defeated Holdem and sumo fodder in the same chapter. Heck, he could do it in the same panel. Doing two EXACT SAME CHAPTERS IS BORING AS FUCK:

> Luffy picks a fight with " fodder number 1 billion " who should know better than to pick a fight with Luffy(I'll give a pass to sumo fodder because he doesn't get news from outside of the world, but Holdem probably does)
    > Luffy one shots fodder
    > OH MY GAWD EVERYONE IS SURPRISED THAT LUFFY ONE SHOTTED FODDER, THE FODDER WAS A STRONG WARRIOR IN THE VILLAGE !!!!!!
    > Repeat
    > ????
    > Profit

FOR TWO FUCKING CHAPTERS. Not to include Luffy, who is faster and stronger than Gazelleman and Batman by a good margin(Plus CoO) just lets O-Tama get captured. AND ZORO WAS THERE TOO. Like, literally, they got tag teamed by FODDER. Luffy Pre Time-Skip could have dealt with both of them. Hell, Pre Alabasta Luffy would probably be enough. BUT HE JOBS TO THEM. ALABASTA WAS OVER IN LIKE WHAT ? CHAPTER 217 ? Literally, 700 chapters ago they would've been fodder to Luffy already.

And I'm waiting for it to get started. Luffy and Zoro jobbing to two fodders who would be fodder already pre TS + Two equal chapters + The false(VERY FALSE) tension of "Will Luffy hit Holdem and bring Jack's wrath ? "(To which we could answer before the arc even begun). You want adventure ? So do I buddy, but there is none. Are you enjoying this filler canon chapters ? Because hell, I am not.

I actually enjoyed the prospect of Hawkins vs Luffy and Zoro(And it's subsequent little skirmish). The only thing that this week was cool was Law(And the blitz). And I'm not even a Law fanboy.