1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Soo, why do so many people have a problem with Nell?

Discussion in 'Bleach' started by The Transporter, Oct 17, 2006.

1. The Transporter

So, anyway, word on the street is that some people have a problem with Nell and his/her little merry band. I mean, it makes sense, thier hollows, and Ichigo's group are souls. Hollow's eat souls, so, Nell and company should be trying to kill Ichigo and co. Logical explanation....So, here's why it's wrong...

1. I believe Nell stated that he/she was an Arancaar(Hacked up spelling). I believe the other's are as well. Which would mean, that, not only do they have a higher level of power then most hollows, but, thier also smarter then most hollows.

2. At first, they didn't know who the hell Ichigo and CO. were, and assumed they were Hollows. When it's explained that thier not, they kinda freak out.

Reason's why? Well, for one shinigami kill hollows, so, naturally, thier afraid, and, reason number two, is that, Ichigo's merry band are IN ENEMY TERRITORY, and NOT DEAD YET. Which means, logically, that there some strong motherfucka's, hence Nell and co. begging them not to kill them.

Will this little relationship last? Probably not... Sure, they fill in the Comedic/cutness factor in the good old land of the dead, but, thier relationship is one of "If I'm nice to them, maybe they won't kill me too hard" type of relationship.

It's not that thier nice, or innocent, or some type of special "exeptions". They are just smart enough to not want to die. Would they kill them if they could? You can bet your ass, but since they can't, comedy ensues.

Of course, Kubo probably will change the dynamic's of this relationship, making it chessy as hell, but for now, it works ^^.

Tags:
  2. Furious George

Meh, I have no particular problem with the Desert Sand Brothers... granted the manga could have gone on just as fine without them. That and there not even that funny.:)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  3. IBU

For me, Nell and the Gang were a nice touch to lighten up the manga.

Sweet 666th post.

4. Cipher

I don't like Nell because she (and her 'brothers') go directly against the very definition of what a Hollow is. Hollows are corrupted Pluses. That means that in order to be a Hollow, at a fairly superficial level, you must be evil. Nell contradicts everything about Hollows. She and her brothers also scream 'One Piece.' I love OP, but I want it to stay in it's own manga.

And Shinigami don't kill Hollows. They purify them.

5. Last of the Arrancar

I love Nell :p, she's very cute ( especially the missing teeth are just adorable ).

It's not like she's evil, but she is what she is offcourse, and she wasn't hostile to Ichigo and co. when she assumed they were fellow arrancar. She was affraid when she learned who they were, but she took them to the wall anyway without fear once she was convinced they weren't gonna kill her.

I don't get the hatred for her, people are just scared or something now that arrancar might not be all that bad .... well big deal.

And people seem to forget arrancar aren't normal hollows anymore. it's only to be expected that they aren't like normal Hollows.

And from the hollow's POV shinigami are killing them. And in a brutal way too ( beheading, slashing off limbs, whatever ), so I don't think that kind of purifying really appeals them ...

6. Yak

Nell's okay. So are her brothers.

7. jonat3

Well, there are several explanations for a hollow's behaviour. First, the differnce between a plus and a hollow (or also called minus by rukia), is that a plus has a heart and a minus does not. The heart allows a soul to think of others besides itself. Without a heart, a hollow can only think of oneself. The more you care about others, the more plus you are as a soul. The more you care about yourself, the more minus you are as a soul. Some hollows hover around 0 (a weak minus) and so they can sometimes have more social feelings than others. This is Orihime's brother and Nell's group.

The difference between Orihime's brother and Nell's group, is that Orihime's brother did not live in hueco mundo. Because of that, there was no reiatsu in the atmosphere around to lessen their thirst for souls. If i sent Nell to the real world, no doubt she would be scavenging souls out of hunger.

I'm only puzzled by one aspect. I cannot seem to determine what circumstance has led Nell and co to become hollows in the first place. They do not seem hostile to Ichigo, because of fear. But they don't seem to have the slightest resentment either. These guys must be incredibly weak minus.

8. Dr.Douchebag

9. hhallahh

Like others said, Nell destroys the ordinary conception of Hollows as somehow being inherently corrupt. Granted, some of the more intelligent, honorable Arrancar were already doing this.. but she's the more blatant example. Is this a retconning of the Hollow lore? Or will it be explained that Arrancar are somehow not inherently evil? Because it's clear they're not.

10. jonat3

Hollows are selfish to a point where a life other than itself is worthless. That makes most of them dangerous. Note that i said MOST. Perhaps there are some exceptions where some of them aren't dangerous. Selfishness comes in many forms afterall.

11. Last of the Arrancar

And I really don't get your entire explanation about weak plusses and so on.

When a plus is left behind or chooses to be left behind it's chain will erode with time, when the chain is fully eroded, they turn into a hollow.

Possibly Nell, being a child, wouldn't leave her parents ( who might still have been living when she died).

12. jonat3

Look, plus souls have positive emotions and minus have negative emotions. Some plus souls have more positive emotions than others. Same for minus souls. For example, the desire to eat is less positive an emotion than the desire to protect someone. The more negative a minus soul is, the more dangeorus he is towards society in general. That Nell and co do not pose much of a threat, is because i think they are INCREDIBLY WEAK minus.

Edit: edited for accuracy

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  13. Kayaku

Nell's character invokes a lot of sympathy in my heart. Poor kid's gotta live in a Hollow's world. I think Nell is there to supply a great contrast to ordinary hollow, and it contracts the statement Ishida made right b4 they saw Nell...so...

14. omg laser pew pew!

Looks soo cute and adorable but really not that good in a fight

15. Last of the Arrancar

You're breaking it up in some kind of weird minus-positive thing, stop that !

So what would you classify Hime's brother as ? He wasn't evil, he was just lonely. But he sure went totally ballistic against her .... ao is he a 'weak' minus or a 'strong' minus? ( for gods sake please use Hollow like everyone else )

16. jonat3

Yeah, made a mistake in my post. Already edited. I use the words "plus" and "minus" to better bring my point across. If people see plus souls as souls with POSITIVE emotions and minus as souls with NEGATIVE emotions, it's easier to understand how they function.

Orihime's brother was a weak minus. He was able to regain part of his positive emotions afterall. A strong minus would be something like a gillian or higher. Shirosaki can also be considered a strong minus.

17. blazingshadow

they suck because they break up the mood of the story. i hated hanatarou and ganju for doing the same. i'm supposed to be worried and try my best to save somebody close to me but let me stop and tell some jokes first. i'm sure nell will come up with something funny soon that would make me change my mind but still the story could have been told without her. even if hollows aren't all evil and there is an explanation to it there could be some other way of explaining it than joking around with the 3 stooges.

18. Mat?icha

i dont have problem with them either. actually Nell could turn out to be one of my favorites. she is just too cute.

19. Hiruma

I'm more pissed off with her brothers. They do nothing except tell jokes(not needed imo) or stand there and look ugly.

20. sasuki-chan

I really thought nell was a boy because she said she is one of the 3 brothers of LN or something like that.
    anyway I don't have any problem with nell.She is cute.Stupid but cute^^

21. Sakura Kaijuu

I like Nell. I think he/she is absolutely adorable, and I don't really have issues with the concept of good hollows. We don't really know how good they are. Nell's brothers are kind of annoying, but they're also the more extreme comic relief. So it's kind of their job to be extra annoying.

22. Sirexais

Exactly...

I find the concept quite fun to mess with.

23. Emery

Okay, WHERE was this stated that Nell was a girl?

24. Trias

It wasn't stated in manga, but japanese grammar states it.

25. Mori`

See the wording of this poll

26. Last of the Arrancar

Well Ganju's first appearance with the boars was pretty funny. Hanatarou ... I dunno if he's supposed to be funny ...

And Nell is useful, she got them to the wall. They were struggling, and she got them there on her pet.

And Bleach is the kind of manga that will resort to a bit of comedy once in a while. And since it has been kinda serious lately ...

27. Trias

Admit it people. the Desert Siblings ruined the whole main plot of Bleach, thanks to Kubo's... err, inconsistent (yes, I do call another person inconsistent) foreshadowing skills, which can make stuff like Aizen and Isshin's true identity happen or ruin plot like this...

28. Megaharrison Retired Staff

They're annoying and don't make much sense plotwise, but they can be amusing and hopefully Nell can prove himself like Hanatarou did eventually.

29. Dr.Douchebag

well there will always be char that piss people off for whatever reason but thats no reason to make 'how nell ruined bleach' threads not every character in a
    story can be liked or even tolerated even if its one of your favorites

30. The Transporter

Well, it does make sense to not LIKE them, that's everyone's right. However, I don't see why they don't BELONG there.

I mean, NONE of there actions so far can be classified as "good", save for the ride on the pet, and that's because they thought they were hollows. And, as they have already witnessed, it's pretty psychotic to take on people who can murder you in several painful ways. Yes, they're hollows, but, they're not suicidal, as I stated before.

All I'm saying is that there is no reason for them NOT to be there, and, non of there action's have gone specifically AGAINST what a hollow is.