1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Sookie Stackhouse and Southern Vampires :thumbs

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by jkingler, Nov 8, 2005.

1. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

Someone described this series as "Bridget Jones with fangs" and that is a pretty accurate description. That is a large part of why I love this series. This series is nothing like Anne Rice's Vampire Chonicles. In fact, Sookie and her encounters with vampires turn Rice's sober visions of gothic vampires on their heads. I'll admit, Sookie is a bit of a Mary Sue, but she is funny, imperfect, and a gossip of a narrator. :laugh She is honestly a great heroine and I look forward to the next book filled with her story.

Has anyone else read these books? If you have, come here and discuss the books. If you haven't, I would strongly recommend that you at least pick one of the books up in your local bookstore and read a few pages--it might be to your liking :thumbs

P.S. Click here for a thread discussing the TV series True Blood (which is based on this series).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    Tags:
  2. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

Bump, since the books have been selling, the TV series is airing, people are liking it, and yet I see no talk of it in here.

It's a fun series - check it out, since it's about a million times better and more interesting than Twilight.

P.S. If you already love this series, The Becoming by Jeanne C. Stein is also very fun and it has Ms. Harris's seal of approval. :p

3. Freija Treasures

I read the book maybe a month ago, weren't really anything for me, the view on vampires however was nice to see. Everyone goes with the "Anne Rice" type really, was a nice change to see them like that.

4. Yakushi Kabuto Socks Activate! Shape of a

Ooo, I considered trying these books out since they have a couple at the library. I just didn't know where to start since it didn't tell me which one was the first one. Is this one of the series where it actually matters which one I reads first or can I just start anywhere? I tend to read books out of order when I can. Had no idea that the TV True Blood was based off of this, just been hearing about it.

5. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I would read these in order, as it's a mystery series, and a lot of the surprises are...well...obviously, they're predicated on not knowing what's going to happen before it happens. XD

Dead Until Dark is the first book. I'd start there. :nod

And do watch the show, if you have trouble laying hands on the books, or if you feel like it. It's got Anna Paquin as the lead, and she's always good.

6. Muk Let's play a game, Ophelia

i am not really into vampires ...

the only vampire i consider are well dracula and that's it

7. Serp Prince Mod Targaryen

I got all the ebooks :LOS Still anit read them yet.

8. Lo$tris Super Gorl!

Yah I had read the first 4 books. The first 2 were great but I lost interest toward the end of the 4th book, I'm not sure why, maybe due to lack of Bill or 'cause Sookie was starting to get on my nerves. Though I must say the best thing about this series is Eric!! He is one of my favourite characters of all time.

9. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

Eric is definitely the Lestat of the series. :amuse

10. Lo$tris Super Gorl!

I'm curious about something

Spoiler:
    What happened to Sookie's brother? I remember that he was missing and they had found blood, but I can't remember anything else..:/

11. Lord Yu Active Member

The idea of southern vampires disturbs me and makes me a little sick.

12. Nuriel ■ □ ■ □

I've read all of these books, with the exception of the newest. Not a bad series. I haven't watched the television show, I'm afraid that they probably changed too much.

13. Yakushi Kabuto Socks Activate! Shape of a

So a bunch of months later and I saw that my library had this. So I checked it out and I'm about half way though it. There's something I really enjoy about it, maybe it is the way Sookie reacts to everything, even Bill's charms, with such pratical and sometimes fun lines.

14. ButterflyGod AsunaxKirito4Ever

Finally a thread about this awesome book series! As a general rule, I cannot stand vampires. Ms. Harris's characters are verily awesome and well-written, especially Sookie, a very real modern woman, who wants all the same things women want. She's a nice person whose only unfortunate attribute is that she attracts a lot of trouble, often from deadly supernatural creatures who either want to snuff her out or use her to their own ends.

Eric is hands down my favorite character. Bill is my second favorite character. I can't seem to fathom why Sam, Sookie's boss, he's such a wonderful guy, yet he can't seem to maintain any kind of relationship beyond a fling. Jason, Sookie's brother, is my least favorite character. For all that Sookie does for him, he remains extremely self-centered - every five minutes it seems Sookie is putting out fires around him. It's sad.

15. Dango suit & tie

I've read to the latest ninth book. <:
    For some reason the whole series is so addicting, kind of like a guilty pleasure.

I rarely read vampire lit, but I'm so hooked to this.
    And the most recent book left quite a steep cliffhanger.

Can't wait till the 10th book.

16. ButterflyGod AsunaxKirito4Ever

I'm the same way with vampire lit. This is the only series I read. Before it, I read one other vampire book for teens called The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause. (Great book btw).

Most of the books usually end with an ending but this one left the rare cliffhanger and what a one.