1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Soul Transformation Guide

Discussion in 'Bleach' started by Axass, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Axass

I created this due to the recent Vaizaado/Arankaru confusion, which was transformed into plain chaos now that the 3 Menos came into play. It's a guide to the various forms a soul can take, with a diagram (which took most of the time cause I suck at Photoshop...), some images and a text explanation for every stage.

I hope some of you find this helpful, if you find any errors in the content or in the grammar, feel free to point it out.

-----------------------------------------------​

Bigger version

-----------------------------------------------

LIVING WORLD

The place where we all reside, the material world.

Human: Living persons, like us. Humans can?t see/hear or interact with souls in any way. However some of them may have a big amount of spiritual power, when that happens, humans can begin to see, partly or completely, souls and other things related to the spiritual world.
    • Quincy: The Destroyers, a group of people by the unkown origins. They started to fight Hollows to help the Shinigami, but ended up causing problems for both spiritual and material world. Quincy have the power to absord the spirit power around them, giving it the form of a weapon, however when killed by such weapons, the Hollows sins aren?t cleansed and they simple cease to exist. This was dangerously modifying the balance of souls between the two worlds, so the Shinigami decided to exterminate the Quincy long ago.

Plus: A Plus is the soul of a dead person. They roam in the living world, waiting for a Shinigami to send them to Soul Society, with the use of the Soul Burial. If left alone, they can eventually degenerate into a Hollow for many reasons.
    • Earthbound Spirit: A Plus who had regrets for facts happened within a certain territory, or with regrets about a place itself, will become an Earthbound Spirit. Its Chain of Fate will bind him to the focus of its regret and it?ll gradually degenerate into Hollow. An Earthbound Spirit show itself only when someone enters his territory and they are naturally assimilated with the land, so Soul Society?s sensors rarely notice them.
    • Obsessed Spirit: They are the same of Earthbound Spirits, but their focus is a person and not a place. Soul Society?s sensors have no problem finding them.

Tags:
  2. Axass

The place where good souls are guided and where the Shinigami reside. You could call it Heaven.

Soul Society Plus: When in Soul Society, Pluses are assigned to one of the 80 different districts of the Rukongai and live a regular life, with their new families. Pluses without spiritual power don’t need to eat, drink or rest, Pluses with spiritual power may be enrolled in the Shinigami Academy. When Pluses die they are reincarnated in the living world.

Shinigami:The Death Gods, they are souls with a high spiritual power, who can awaken within themselves hidden powers. The Shinigami have three duties: to perform the Soul Burial and send Plus to Soul Society, to defeat and cleanse hollows or send them to Hell, and to be balancers and regulate the amount of souls in each world. Each Shinigami has its own Zanpakutou, a “Soul Slayer”, which is part of their soul and can take many different forms, the Zanpakutou is used to send the Pluses to Soul Society and to slain the Hollows, cleansing their sins. Zanpakutou have two level of release, the Shikai (Initial Release) and the Bankai (Complete Release), a Shinigami may be able to use either Shikai, both Shikai and Bankai or none of the two, according to the level of familiarity he has with his Zanpakutou. The Shinigami reside in Sereitei (Court of Pure Souls), they are ruled by the Central 46 Chamber which has the role of a government, their militar power is composed by the 13 Divisions the Secret Mobile Corps and the Demon Arts Brigade and they have a Research Institute assigned to the creation of many useful tools. Between the most incredible creations of the Research Institute there are Mod-Souls: artificial souls created to fight hollows, each having improved powers such as arm strength and leg strength, which would use the bodies of deceased humans, they were later destroyed because a council of shinigami ruled them as immoral. Shinigami feel hunger, thirst and need to sleep like Humans because of their Spiritual Power. When Shinigami die they are reincarnated in the living world.
    • Seated Officer: Strong Shinigami who stood out and were assigned to command teams. They are the lowest ranked Shinigami besides the standard soldiers. In every Division there is a set amount of seats and each may comprehend a various number of officers from one to more than fifteen. A good amount of them has Shikai.
    • Vice Captain: Very strong Shinigami with powerful and useful Shikai, some may even be near the achievement of Bankai. They are treated with great respect and have a big amount of decisional power in their Division.
    • Captain: The strongest among Shinigami, they have in most cases achieved Bankai and can beat even the scariest Hollows. Each of the 13 Captains of Soul Society commands a different Division, some of the Captains also rule other Shinigami organizations, like the Secret Mobile Corps and the Reasearch Insitute. They are respected beyond everything by the other Shinigami and by the inhabitants of Rokungai.

Vaizard: An ex-Shinigami which, with the use of forbidden spells, gained the powers of Hollows. They’re Shinigami/Hollow hybrids, Vaizard still have a Zanpakutou but they also gain an Hollow mask. To become a complete Vaizard you have to crush the Hollow inside you into submission, then you'll be able to materialize the Hollow mask at will. When the mask is wore, the Hollow side gets stronger and takes control of the body, raising considerably the strength of the soul. They hate Shinigami and their headquarter's location is currently in the living world. They are the opposite of Arrancar.

3. Axass

The HQ of the Hollows, an inbetween world which resembles a dark purgatory.

Hollow: Fallen souls. Souls that weren’t brought to Soul Society, souls that escaped, souls that weren’t protected from Hollows or souls that weren’t good to begin with. A Plus can degenerate if left alone, it will lose its heart and to fill the emptiness, it’ll seek out those it loved most in its past life, then it’ll eat them to ease its pain and suffering. Hollows procede to attack indiscriminantely other souls and humans as soon as they’ve eaten their loved ones, when hunting for a prey, they prefer the ones with high spiritual power.
    All the Hollows have two dinstincyive traits: the hole in its chest, evidence that it lost its heart and turned into a heap of instincts, and the white mask which imitates a skull, to protect those exposed instincts from the outside world.
    If a Hollow is slain by a Shinigami’s Zanpakutou, the sins it committed after becoming a spirit are cleansed and it’s free to go to Soul Society, however if it committed sins while alive, the doors of Hell will open for it.

Menos: Higher level of Hollow created by the combination of many lesser ones, far more powerful than the standard and with many special abilities, they are good challenges even for the strongest Shinigami and they reside in Hueco Mundo (Hollow World). All the Menos can use the Cero (Zero), a powerful ray beam shot from their mouths. They still have the characteristic hole and white mask that every Hollow has, and they can be cleansed or sent to Hell like them.
    • Gillian: They’re giants that are born from hundreds of Hollows piling up together. Even though their size is impressive, they’re only peons between the Menos. They eat their own kind, they have low intelligence and speed and they all look the same. They are commonly referred as Menos Grande by the Shinigami. Gillian means “countless creatures” in Spanish.
    • Adjuchas: They’re born from the merge of many Gillian, they’re smaller and more uncommon than them but their intelligence and battle prowess completely outweigh that of the giants. Adjuchas means “stone demon” in Spanish.
    • Vasto Lorde: They have human size and they are by far the most powerful type of Menos and most dangerous type of Hollow, even Captain level Shinigami would have a hard time beating them. Their numbers are really small and they exist only deep within Hueco Mundo. Vasto Lorde means “enormous king” in Spanish.

Arrancar: An Hollow, either standard or Menos, can remove its mask and become an Arrancar. They’re Hollow/Shinigami hybrids, they still have the hole in the chest but they gain a Zanpakutou and their white mask is removed, in part or completely, depending on their degree of perfection. Beside having peculiar physic characteristics which help them in battle, they can perform the Shikai with their Zanpakutou. The Shikai instead than changing the powers and form of the Zapakutou, change the powers and form of the Arankaru itself. Arrancar who are highly developed are referred to as "Adults", the gap of power between incomplete Arrancar and "Adults" is huge. Between the strongest Arrancar, there are ten called Espada, which have authority over numbers 11 and below. Numers 11 and below were only Gillian and normal Hollows before being transformed in Arankaru. All the Arrancar are considerably stronger than simple Hollows and they reside in Hueco Mundo. They’re the opposite of Vaizard. Arrancar means “to remove” in Spanish.

-----------------------------------------------

HELL

Nothing is known about this place yet. The only certain thing is that Hollows who sinned during their mortal life are sent here.

4. TenshiOni

5. Phantom

also i made this diagram for my guide couple of days ago describing the relationships
    Here

6. Final Ultima

You may want to differentiate Arrancar-Hamen and Arrancar-Imago though.

7. Kucheeky Badkuya

I think, Mod-Souls should be in there too.

Mod-Soul
    Bleach7 said it better than I could so I took there version of Mod-Souls, you can find it here:
    Here

8. Low-fi Boy

Fantastic, very helpful. Thanks very much

9. Utz

Glad you finally put it up XD. Amazing work, my jaw is touching the floor in shock of the amount of info. and things you've cleared up with this. Great job Axass :thumbs.

10. Mori`

omg Axass thanks so much for that :D A huge amount of information on things all in one thread

reppies for you

11. jonat3

Good one. However, you shouldn't call the menos hybrid an arankaru yet. We are not sure yet it can be called an arankaru. Also, we aren't sure what happens to a menos when it dies through a soulcutter. It was originally made out of other souls afterall. Each soul is different, so it could be part of its soul will fly to hell, while the other parts go to SS.

12. Kno7

Great job as always Axass. Very informative, and it sums up all of the important facts. Excellent work.

13. Axass

Good work, thanks for pointing that out. Want me to add that to the first post?

Hmmm... I thought that Hamen was just an erroneous translation of Arankaru, and I've never heard the Imago term before. I'll be happy to add them if you tell me what they mean/what they are.

I wanted to concentrate on the forms a normal soul can take, but I guess adding a note about mod-souls under the Shinigami paragraph won't hurt. I'll do it.

Well, I don't see why they should be called differently, though I guess there's a chance of that happening. Right now though I would need to change too much in the diagram, I'll just assume they're called the same until (and if) I'm proven wrong. Though I may add a note in the text saying that the name for Menos hybrids isn't yet confirmed.

But what you said doesn't collide with what I said. In the diagram you can see a line going to hell and one going to SS, it's not specified if ALL of its souls will go the same way or not.

14. ydraliskos

That pretty much owned my diagram thread :p Well done, it's very clarifying.

Can you make a "made by Rukia" version? :p would be lots of fun.

15. superman_1

16. hhallahh

When Aizen was leaving Soul Society, didn't he mention something like "The Throne of Heaven has been empty for too long"? Perhaps Heaven is a different area as well?

17. jonat3

Since the diagram wasn't clear about how a hollow exactly turns into a menos, it sounded like a menos could only go to hell OR go to SS. To the reader it isn't obvious that 2 paths at once are possible. Since this diagram is for the sole purpose of clearing thing up, i thought i would remark on it.

Anyways, it was still one heck of a job. Great diagram. :)

18. cid

The red and blue on the left are hard to read =/
    Other wise it clears alot of info up.

19. cinosweiv

I always have trouble remembering the three types of Hollow introduced lately in the Manga.
    Thanks for the explanation, but can I request that please give us example of each type to make us much more clear. Example: Captain: Byakuya and sort of this thing. Because I am not very familiar with the Hollow ranks and the corresponding character. Like what position the Yami and Urquila are ? (If we have been told)

20. Mori`

Just read this over at BF and I'd recommend taking a look at it

from the sounds of it the mandarin translation is actually more specific in some areas.

21. Final Ultima

True, Hamen means broken mask, and if I recall correctly the characters alongside Hamen indicated that it was in fact to be refered to as Arrancar. I have since refered to the incomplete versions (such as Grand Fisher) as Arrancar-Hamen because it was the first time the broken mask was elaborated on. As for Imago, it means an adult insect (no doubt refering to a complete Arrancar, as opposed to Grand Fisher's incomplete form), it was mentioned in a translations for one of the chapters. One of Djudge's translations at Bleach Forums, if I'm not mistaken.

22. Kepa

nice diagram, but I fear many things might still change the more the story progresses.... that hell thing is especially intresting, because it has to return throughout the story (perhaps when some allankar dies)

23. Nybarius

Great guide! One quibbling suggestion: right now you make it seem like it's possible to use bankai without knowing shikai, but has this been shown in the series?

24. Final Ultima

Oh, also, you know what Hueco Mundo means, don't you? You may want to add that.

25. SloppyJoe

26. Phantom

sure:laugh, i hope its accurate, i will update it once a more info comes out

27. monk3

[amazed :wtf] Axass that is amazing. [/amazed :wtf]

but should demi-hollow be mentioned in that or should it just be a term cast aside? I think that it should be in there. but then again it kinda ties in with your earthbound spirit. so its up to you. but good job anyways

28. Axass

That would require true drawing skills (or at least better than Rukia) something I completely lack... sorry. :p

Thank you. :tem

Sure, it may very well be (even though I think that Aizen was speaking metaphorically). Though I'm keeping everything as near as I can to official facts, and as far as I know, up until now SS is considered Heaven.

There is no way, unless I change the diagram drastically, to show what you want with precision. As I said the current placing doesn't collide with your theory (because it may very well be that the Menos souls can only take one path, or even that only Menos Grande are made by an Hollow combination, one may argue that Rukia was specifically speaking about them) at all, so I'm not changing it atm. Besides I did say that Menos are made up by Hollows combining together in the text description.

Thanks. :)

No problem at all, I still have the PSD file so I can change the diagram at any moment, I'll try to keep it updated.

You're right, I wrote that point in a confusing way, I'll fix it right away.

Yeah, the problem is that we have not yet been told what's the Hollow-type of Grimjaw, Yamii, Ulquiorra and the two which attacked Ishida. So I can't give example right now (with the exception of Ulquiorra = Arankaru, that you can see in the picture) or I would risk to give out wrong info. As for the SS side, I don't think it really needs examples, everybody knows what a Captain and a Vica Captain is... (besides I've put a picture per different soul form anyway)

Hollow World, yeah I'll add that.

Happy you like it. :laugh

Ok, I'll add it and give you credit.

I'll upload the biggest (1000x1000) version as well, there everything can be read clearly.

From what I understand, he just made up the term to add some flavour, in the chapter it doesn't specifically says Imago. In fact when I enter 『成体』 into Babelfish it just turns up to be "Adult". That would hardly require an Arankaru subdivision in two categories since we know almost nothing of the difference between these two kinds, only thing that's for sure is the fact that "Adults" are way stronger. So I'll just add a note saying that highly developed Arankaru are referred to as "Adults".

As far as I remember the only place where Demi-Hollows were ever mentioned was during the Earthbound Spirit explanation, that's why I left it out, since we know almost nothing about them. If you can find me more points in the manga when Demi-Hollows are explained, I'll be glad to add them.

Thanks for the info, it contained mainly two interesting things. One, it says that Ajuukasu are made up of many Gillian, even though that seems weird as it wasn't mentioned in any of the translations we've seen up until now. Two, it confirms the names I already found in a Chinese blog while I was creating the sticky, Adjuchas and Vastrhode, as correct romanizations for the new terms.

EDIT: All the promised changes were made.

29. mank

dang that is one good explination! musta been hard work doin that congrats on your hard work

30. Neto

im a little foggy on the differences between arankaru and vaizaado, which one is srtonger? (complete arankaru and i guess the the stronger the shinigami the stronger the vaizaado?)

why is aizen leading the arankaru, shouldnt he lead the vaizado? is aizen stronger then the arankaru? (why would they follow him if they were stronger, or is it cuz he created then with the device?)