1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Speculate wildly about the limits of AFO.

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Pliskin, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Pliskin Well-Known Member

From the fact that he was not simply god we can infer that there are limits to his quirk. From the fact that he didn't take back OFA via punch we can also infer there are limits on the method of theft.

Personally, since Kitty was alive I think something like HxH's skill hunter makes sense, target needs to be left alive and he probably has to clear some conditions to steal.

Tags:
  2. Stilzkin Well-Known Member

Quirks don't work like nen in HxH. Hatsus can be contrived, the conditions are mental rather than physical.

A quirk should have some logic in that whatever "condition" it has would have to play some function in making the ability work. I think a condition like the original owner of the ability needing to be alive wouldn't fit unless the victim is left with something that is actually transferring their ability over.

I think a more fitting condition for BnHA would be a physical toll on OFA every time he takes a power.

3. Pliskin Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Agreed that a physical reason (small bacteria, puss or whatever) would work better in the manga, disagree that it is completely free of contrived abilities. Nighteyes precog or Shinso's mind control might as well be hatsu, also that humiliation quirk we met also seems rather contrived. And that true love confession quirk.

But yes, an underlying physicality to the quirk would be more coherent.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  4. Yak Well-Known Member

The immediate limitation that comes with a quirk designed to take in all other quirks is that there are limitations of mastery and thus the quality of quirk application. The more you take in via AFO, the more time and effort it would take to maintain them all on the same general level of quality. You run the severe risk of becoming a jack of all trades except you are ending up mediocre at best.

Now sensei is clearly at a caliber where he can make this stuff work for him somehow but at least in theory AFO has to be super selective with the stuff he takes and gives away. Not sure how much every additional quirk is affecting him physically (brain chemistry and other bodily functions, etc) but there might be limits to that, too.

Also, have we ever seen him take a quirk on-panel directly? If you consider how OFA is passed on, AFO might need a physical medium as well. It is possible he has to ingest DNA of some sort, especially for more complex and powerful quirks. I also don't know if he requires his targets to be unable to fight back both physically or mentally or needs them to be weakened at least, a strong and healthy quirk user might have some resistance.

5. Pliskin Well-Known Member

The mastery thing is a serious limit, though I'd argue there are lots and lots of quirks that function as what would be called 'passive' ability in RPG. Super strength, speed, intelligence, charisma, etc. and they can be used asap, though mastery of other skills increases the benefits.

The ingestion part is my hunch as well, if you subscribe to the theory that he steals from children via that shady doc (maybe even deku) then a blood vial would be a good way to subtly steal.

I think the fact that he had a completely different power set the 2nd fight either implies a hard cap on the number of quirks or the duration he can keep them, else he could have used those on top of nuke-arms.

6. Yak Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's the huge plus of that quirk, the synergetic and accumulative effects several quirks can have. And he can stack them for further potency. I guess that somewhat makes up for the lack of "skill" its opposite quirk, OFA, requires because Deku's quirk is all about total refinement of a single power while AFO is about total accumulation of different powers.

The idea that this guy consumes human flesh or drinks blood is kind of repulsive but then again, there is Toga, lol.

I don't know how he does it but he definitely needs to establish some sort of stable link with his victim. I don't think he can just point his finger or snip with them and then he has it. There has to be an extraction method that probably won't work on the fly.

Another thing that got me thinking is how - as you said - he carries around specific skill sets in the form of quirks. Does he always carry all quirks he acquired with him? Is he actually able to "store" them somewhere so he doesn't overtax himself, if that's even a thing? Does he require living breathing host bodies for that? I mean, that could further point to the Noumu; they are not only powerful weapons, they could be living storage devices or carries for the quirks he doesn't currently "wear". And even if the Noumu dies, the quirk resides within it. He can easily regain it as long as he has access to that particular genetic material.

That's just a theory of course.

7. Utopia Realm An immortal Wu.

Let me add that not only did he have to master the quirks he uses to minimize the drawbacks/recoil effects but also had to learn how to stack them. In kamino Ward, he had stacked at least 12 different quirks when facing AM and listed them by group. Hundereds of years of experimenting, laerning, developing and mastering all sorts of combinations and gaining/lossing quirks over the centuries. Dude truly is a beast.

8. Yak Well-Known Member

He has to be like Momo a bit, no? I mean, most people learn the pros and cons of their own quirk over literally a life-time. It's like taking meds and not knowing the side effects and how they progress if you mix with other substances.

If he doesn't know all the details to all of those quirks from memory he could seriously fuck himself up from their downsides. AFO clearly is a master in its own right much like OFA is due to the absolute dedication and creativity to get the max potential out of a single ability.

9. Skaddix Well-Known Member

He couldn't take OFA back cause All Might had already transferred. We also don't know how long it takes him to take a quirk and it could vary based on the power of the quirk.

10. Xiammes All For One Administrator

All Might said OFA couldn't be taken against the users will. The quirk to pass on quirks is a derived form of All For One, I mean its almost the same thing but its missing the ability to steal quirks, so it makes sense.

11. Pliskin Well-Known Member

Which is why I think AFO might work in reverse and the victim needs to willingly give up a sample of their blood/hair/skin whatever.

12. iJutsu Well-Known Member

Afo is just lazy and conceited. There's no limit to his quirk. He can give and take quirks as he pleases. He just doesn't care about learning about the quirks he uses.

Basically he has pis as a personality.

13. Superman Well-Known Member

14. cobe42 Member

You use as many quirksas you seen in action

15. PrazzyP HxH is life

Hope we get some sort of flashback arc for him, even before he ever faced a prime all might.