1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Spoiler - Ichigo's father

Discussion in 'Bleach' started by Orofan, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Orofan On a quest to master all Jutsu

If Ichigo's father is a bad ass Shinigami, how come he got his ass kicked by the first Hollow in the Manga? He was out on the floor bleeding??????????????

I've been wondering that for some time.

Tags:
  2. Parell Sushi = love

Probably because he sensed a shinigami was on the way and he didn't want to blow his cover.

3. Zorokiller Lives of your misfortune

he didn't do anything against grand fisher the first time either..just because he knows his son can handle it

4. Sakura Kaijuu There is only the inevitable

I think he may have been legitimately taken by surprise by the hollow.

I have a kind of unlikely theory that he and Urahara had something set up like a barrier around the Kurosaki home and, since Urahara seems to be up on everything, he manipulated the situation to force Rukia to meet Ichigo, but also lowered the barrier without Isshin's knowledge.

5. Orofan On a quest to master all Jutsu

But come on that Hollow was a powderpuff. He could have killed it with a Spork.

Maybe that was a Gigi?

Also later when he gets powers he mentioned that it feels wierd being in Shinigami form again. Maybe he couldn't transform then?

6. Shizor It's been fun, Simon.

It's very possible, it could have something to do with the fact that he was powerless to save Masaki when she died.

7. Sirexais Licking Master

It might be that...

I just found it surprising. I like Sakura Kaijuu's idea, but who knows what's really going on here.

8. Al?l? Sweet dreams

When Isshin is talking with Ishida's dad, Ryoken (correct me if that's not his name), it is stated he has gotten his powers back. Therefore, it means that he had once lost them or they were in a dormant state.

Or was that Uruhara that said that?

9. DarkHyunkeL Far from eyes, near of heart..

I bet Isshin was an old badass bad guy. That' why Ishida's dad is telling "I'm just trying to be a better father than you". Isshin didn't save his wife for some reason, not because he wasn't able but he was linked to Sousuke in some ways. Isshin, an old bad boy asking for forgiveness. But it's too late man ! Your wife is dead and gone.

10. Zack_Strife Banana Samurai

Rukia couldn't sense the Hollow because Ichigo was pissing Reiatsu like an incontinent dog, perhaps he just drowned out his dad's sense as well which led to him getting wtfpwned.

11. Orofan On a quest to master all Jutsu

From what we can tell though, his dad could whoop his ass right now. He's obviously a ridiculously powerful Shinigami. And back then Ichigo didn't even have RUKIA'S powers yet.

There's no way Ichigo could have been drowning his sense unless he lost his powers completely.

12. DarkHyunkeL Far from eyes, near of heart..

Isshin is one of the most powerful Shinigami far more powerful than Ichigo. Every father are like that. As Ishida's dad... He'll come to HM and teach some freaking tricks to Ichigo.

13. Delta Shell The Pose of Love, people..

Wait, what have I missed? Where did it say Isshin was one of the most powerful?

14. Bink Binktopian and Zoddist

Supposition based off of genre conventions I'm guessing.

Which to be fair with Shounen is often a safe bet, I too reckon he'll be upper-teir.

15. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

because if he pwned that hollow there'd be no bleach and we'd all be happy...no..wait a second.

this is pretty old and there are multiple pieces of speculation into it

1) Isshin and Urahara planned to awaked Ichigo's shinigami powers at some point

2) he knew rukia was there and so assumed she'd handle it

(1 and 2 usually both involve Isshin feigning injury)

3) he wasn't able to leave his gigai for whatever reason and got hit

4) ichigo's reiatsu pouring out did the same for him as for rukia, but he was markedly closer to the hollow and actually got hurt.

16. Orofan On a quest to master all Jutsu

I bolded my responses

17. warrior1000 perverted ways

was isshin even there? I thought he had a some work to do that day, and wasn't home.

18. Jh1stgen Active Member

It is because he didnt have his death god power back then ... You can tell bc after he defeated Grand Fisher, Urahara said it has been 20 years since he was in that form

19. Orofan On a quest to master all Jutsu

Yeah he was knocked unconcious.

20. GrimmjawAwsome Espada Recruit

i wonder what ichigo and the other shinigami will say when they see him

21. blazingshadow True Wind Rune

in the manga he was. in the anime he wasn't. IMO kubo had planned isshin = shinigami at the time the anime started but not before then

22. FrostXian Messiah With An Attitude

Idea, maybe he gave his powers to his former wife, but she died when she tried to stand up against the fisher, Isshin couldnt do shit because he was powerless?
    When the host that keeps your power dies, do you lose it for a long time?
    Do fish fly?
    SOME DO! :yell

23. Sakura Kaijuu There is only the inevitable

He works at home...

Mori's theories about it are good ones too. I kind of like to think that he really was caught by surprise though. That kind of mistake humanizes him more now that we know he can wtfpwn an Arrancar (albeit a low level one). If he did it on purpose or faked it, it kind of makes him more like a god and less like a person.

But that's just one girl's humble opinion.

24. jonat3 Active Member

Personally, i think Isshin is 100% human. As for why he did nothing to save Ichigo, i'm under the impression his powers were sealed in some manner.

25. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

What do you mean 100% human?

26. jonat3 Active Member

I mean that he's not in a gigai. He was able to reproduce afterall. I know Urahara can do alot, but i sure as hell don't believe he can create a gigai capable of creating kids. Not to mention that i doubt Kubo would use such a cheap method to explain the fact that Ichigo exists.

27. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

We don't know that gigai can't reproduce, they're essentially a body for the soul to go into. Why would the body be any different than a normal body aside from the fact that a shinigami resides in it?

28. jonat3 Active Member

From what i understand, a gigai is a fake human. For that matter, we don't even know if a gigai is ALIVE, since it's main purpose is a shell for the soul. It's abit of a stretch to assume that a gigai can reproduce, when we know so little.

My point is, with lack of information, it's better to assume LESS than MORE. Otherwise, i can go stating that flying pigs can exist, because nobody can prove that they DON'T exist.
    There's a good chance that Isshin is human. It seems more likely than him being in a gigai being able to reproduce. However, i do acknowledge that a gigai MAY be able to reproduce (you never know with Urahara afterall), but for now it's easier for me to believe that he's human. It's less of a strain on credibility (atleast for me).

29. clouded_fate I am...A SUPER PERVERT!!!!!

Esdm't this already explained? at that time, Issin lost his powers, and he got them back recently. As was implied when Ishida's dad said "So your powers have returned?"

30. Dicdonya Im a little teapot...!

Why do you think Isshin even uses a Gigai?
    Ichigo is a shinigami and does not use a Gigai. So it seems very easy to assume that Isshin could be the same way. No gigai, but can still pop his soul out of his body to be a shinigami.

As for the original topic, I think it could be quite possible he was unable to get into his shinigami form, was suprised, and therefore got hit. I also like the idea that him and Urahara had staged it to get ichigo started down the path to becoming a shinigami. However, from the chit chat that the two of them had after Isshin owned the arrancar dude, it seemed as though they had not talked in a long time, so maybe that theory is less likely.

I dunno, Isshin is just one more mystery I dieing to get solved in the series. Maybe we will find out that the opening sequences of him unable to kill a pathetic hollow, are stronly connected to his inability to help his wife. Meh some day I hope we find out.