1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Come join the KCC Haiku Contest -- Summer!
    Entries due by August 17th at 2:30 PM UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice

[spoilertastic]Kurosaki Isshin, Past Captain or not?

Discussion in 'Bleach' started by Mangekyō, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Mangekyō

Im just curious on other peoples opinions on this, do you think that he was a captain at some point in time, or just a normal shinigami?

Tags:
  2. buramu

Ok, now that I've read the rules more closely, it seems that all manga spoliers are allowed in the Society Library. With that info, I'm gonna repost what I just deleted. Sorry Mangekyō, I didn't mean to dirty your thread.

Ok, so Isshin. I mos def think he was once a captain. My reasons are 1) the scrap of white cloth on his shoulder (resembling the mantle of a division captain) and 2) the relative ease he showed destroying Kingfisher in one slash- he was relaxed and composed while unleashing a pretty kickass deathblow.

Now, beyond that, I think he was not ony a captain but that was was expelled from the gotei 13. My reasons for this are again twofold. To reiterate, he has a scrap of captain mantle on his shoulder. This smacks of artsy allusion to past hardship, such as getting kicked out. Also, Papa Ishida is shocked when he sees Isshin, showing surprise that Isshin has regained his powers. If they were lost, then a valid explanation would be in the form of a punishment for some trangression when Isshin was part of the gotei 13.

Other possibilities for power loss: Isshin bolted like Urahara did, but not having the same technological expertise as ole` sandal-hat, he lost his reiatsu when he came to the human world.

Regardless, I wanna know more about Isshin. How mind-boggling is it to think onthe fact that Isshin saw and heard everything around him since the first chapter of the manga, but never let on he was privvy... wild.

3. zagman505

when he wipes out grandfisher, he tells him that all captain level shinigami control the size of their zanpakutou, or each and every one would be wielding zanpakutous the size of buildings. in chapter 188, you see isshin from the back with the white cloth thing, and then on the last page of the SAME chapter, you see yamamoto from behind, and the bottom fringe of isshin's cloth clearly has the same design as yamamoto's captain thing.

4. Orofan

He was most def a captain, can't wait to see the back story and how it all pans out.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  5. Lastier

What, you didnt know that Isshin was the former 11th Squad Captain, who faked his death in the fight with Kenpachi, with the help of Aizen Shikai, in order to live with Masaki on Earth? D:

6. Dr.Douchebag

its very possible for him to be a vice captain
    however perhaps he was on his way to become one but gave it up because of masaki?

he certainly is powerful enough

7. Trias

I think he was head of Shiba family before he "got killed" by Kenpachi, so yes, I think he must be past captain right now. Both Ichigo and Hirako was shocked by his power level, and we are talking about Reiatsu-Ocean-Guy and Chief-Vaizard here. His power level must be a nightmare.

8. Predator

There are so many theories on who isshin could have been. From some book, by Tite Kubo, which is all about bleach, it says that the "prince is missing". Some speculate that Isshin is the prince. Other Speculate that he was the captian before Hitsuguya or Zaraki. and then others believe he was a Royal Guard, above the captain lvl, and protector of the Royal family. But who knows. At this point, all we can speculate is that he is by far, one of the most powerful characters, if not the current most powerful characters.

9. Sinta

i am sorry that has to be one of the worst assumptions ever! We have no basis for comparsion as to his relative power level. There is just no logical way to come to that conclusion. Is he powerful? Yes I think we can logical assume that he is powerful but I dont' think that we can make the jump to one of the most powerfull characters in the series.

10. San Kai

Isshin was a previous vice captain for the 12th division. The reason why he quit was because he loved his captain then he followed him to earth, made love and gave birth to Ichi.

But really, I think Ichi is not Isshin's child. Ichi may probably have a royal bloodline. Urahara kidnapped Ichi from the royal palace then took him to earth and Isshin was charged to take care of him. Urahara's gonna use Ichi as a sort of leverage/tool/weapon in conquering the entire bleachverse and narutoverse!

11. Shizor

Division: 10th

Isshin left SS 20 years before the main storyline. Hitsugaya's the youngest captain, which also means it's likely that he's the newest as well. 20 years seems to be a good fit since he became captain.

12. Konoha's Yellow Kamikaze

If Isshin was a captain, his name must had been another then Kurosaki.
    Otherwise an older Captain had made a comment like "Kurosaki Ichigo? Kurosaki like the the former captain Kurosaki Isshin?"

13. Sasori

Well not necisarilly even though yeah it is odd that no one said anything like that, but in my opinion Isshin was a past captain, possibly the 11th squad it would make sense actually, considering the captain robe on his arm is torn up.
    And if everyone though he was dead no one would say anything.

15. jonat3

Isshin said "all captain level shinigami". So, you can only conclude that Isshin is captain level. Not that he's a captain.

I find it unlikely that he was a captain for the gotei13. He seems too indivdualistic, just like Ichigo. They don't seem to be the type to follow orders. If he was a captain, perhaps he was part of the royal guards. That would be more realistic to me.

16. Mangekyō

Well yeah true, he being just captain lvl would make alot of sense, but the thing is the robe on his arm, is a captain's robe, not a liutenant or a normal shinigami's thats what gets me.

17. jonat3

It doesn't seem to be a normal robe for a captain. Which makes it even more likely for me that he could be a captain for a different organization than the gotei13. Royal Guards FTW.

18. Quantus347

If he was a captain, he could have simply been one long enough ago that his name was lost to common SS knowledge. Urahara is more well know since he was the founder of the research division, etc. Note that of all the captains, the old man was the only one who had ever seen teh giant phoenix halberd released before, and it has to have been used before, so there is alot of timeline before the current generation. There is no real proof that <i>the old man </i>didnt recognize the name kurosaki.

If he is royal guard/prince, then he would be much less known anyway, so thats no real help.

19. Predator

OMG O.O... You didnt know O.O.... around here Isshin is GOD... Dun speak of God like that, or you will be punished.

Id say that isshin is royal guard as well, but if he is the missing prince, that would be sweet too XD

20. Mangekyō

Thats true, i guess royal guard would make sense, but Quantus' point makes alot of sense as well and ur right that urahara would be more well known, and i forgot that Yamamoto was the only one thats ever seen the soukyokus(probably spelt wrong) release.

21. CM Pope

The way he talks down to Arrancar-Grand Fisher, the way he effortlessly disposes of him, his explanation, the white cloth....

Yep. I'd say he's a former Captain.

22. Mangekyō

Well it would seem anyway, or just a really really experienced shinigami

23. Sirexais

That's what I thought when I read that chapter. I figured that he was at least captain level. :/

Hopefully KT will tell us more about Isshin...

24. buramu

There's a point I think when everyone first meets Gin(when they try to get in the gate), that Ichimaru says something to himself like, "so that's Kurosaki Ichigo..." (I'm paraphrasing). I always figured he said that because he had that intel already from Aizen, but maybe he recognized the name because he knew who Isshin was...

25. Mangekyō

Thats true but like you said wouldnt that be more because he knew from aizen.

26. buramu

Yeah, probably. However, Kubo likes to throw stuff like that in, so you never know. If Isshin really was a captain once, or even some high up guard, I can't imagine that no one would remember his name. I also think Ishhin's too proud to have changed it.

27. Mangekyō

28. omg laser pew pew!

You know how Aizen said 'No one has ever stood in the heavens...neither you, nor I or even god himself'

That's because he went to Earth and opened a clinic

29. HumanRage

. /​
    /​

30. Khamzul

^A picture says more than a thousand words.

Chapter 186, page 18-19 Colored by Isane: