1. img
    The KCC is hosting a Short Story Horror Contest!
    The deadline for entries is October 24th at 1am UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Are you an artist that loves One Piece ?
    Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    The deadline is on October 21th at 7:00 pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Come vote in the Alley Banner Contest - Mark VI!
    Deadline is on October 21th at 4:51pm EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Halloween!
    Deadline for entries: October 31st at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. img
    Come join the very first non-banner Café contest!
    The deadline is on October 23th at 9:47 AM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

PC PS4 XB1 Star Wars Battlefront II - The EAmpire Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Saishin, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Samus Aran

Blizzard hardly makes profit from their lootboxes so it don't matter to me as long as my new DLC continues to be free :B

2. sworder

it does have to be in lootboxes, that's how they continue making money so they can keep making content. otherwise you have to pay the price of the game on a stupid season pass that only give you content for a limited time

3. Deathbringerpt

I'll take "What is an In-Game Store" for $100, Tom.

4. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

I don't think you're getting me. We wouldn't be getting "free" post-release stuff if people weren't paying for these lootboxes. It's a forgivable compromise IMO. Especially for people that don't give a shit about skins in a FPS game.

Of course knowing what you're paying for would be a much better alternative for the consumer. But this is certainly the lesser of two evils between the current system and hiding community dividing features such as balance patches, new chars, and maps behind paywalls.

5. Yagami1211

Flag:
    France
    Catdank Faction:
    So behind the same paywall it's better to have useless crap like skins and recolors rather than actual useful stuff ?

6. Jake CENA

Catdank Faction:
    All irrelevant bullshit like skins and themes can be sold through loot boxes everything else like characters, extra chapters, weapons, vehicles, abilities, etc. should be unlocked by playing the game.

7. Deathbringerpt

Of course. It's a total no-brainer. If you want to pay for shit, make it useless shit, not anything that actually directly affects the gameplay.

8. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

Not useful, but integral. So yeah.

9. The World

10. Imagine

No
    It does not.
    Getting free content into a game doesn't require lootboxes. It's an option but it's not required.
    I get you but lootboxes are only just one option.

11. sworder

right, I forgot of that long list of games with lots of yearly content that's completely free with no monthly subscription or lootbox model

:drake

12. Imagine

Nice try but that's ultimately irrelevant. :yousmart

The lootbox model is not nor will it ever be the only way for free content to get into a game. Games that have tried to do what OW does don't have a titan of a company backing them like Blizzard.

13. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

Yeah the other option would be to directly pay for it instead of the gambling aspect. It's not ideal, but it's a better system than a lot of shit out there.

14. Imagine

It can be integrated into the progression system :drake

The only reason why you aren't paying for them in the first place is cause the game was lacking in content as is. It has nothing to do with the lootbox system.

Having them being unlockable via player progression and having them unlocked via a roll of dice still means that the consumer doesn't need to pay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. Imagine

Stfu Kris :ufdup

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

If they did that the rest of the important shit won't be free anymore. That's the point. Most companies won't heavily support a game for free after release. Nor they should if we're being completely fair here.

17. Jake CENA

Catdank Faction:
    shut up Khris, we all know you support paid DLCs and you like to brag about it. okay, you have the extra cash to buy garbage. kudos to you! clap clap clap :skully

18. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

If the DLC is good then yeah, I'll gladly pay for it. But how is this relevant to the point I'm trying to make?

Or are you seriously under the impression that all DLC is bad? That is objectively not true.

19. Jake CENA

Catdank Faction:
    all paid DLC are bad especially if those are disc locked content. you already paid 60 fucking dollars, why would you spend another $20 to satisfy their ego and tolerate them of their incompetence? this shit is basically fraud. the government needs to do something about this.

20. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

I don't think you understand what "post-Release" development means. It's working beyond your initial budget. That shit 99% of the time isn't free.

Do companies do shady shit and withhold stuff off the main game for that extra DLC buck? They do, but they also do that in full priced games and their sequels as well.

Healthy post-release support is a very good thing for the games you enjoy, especially multi-player games. You just need to weed out the ridiculous shit like Pay2Win lootboxes and like you said; on-disc dlc.

But as a whole it's not a bad thing. I mean free balance updates are a Godsend. Back then you'll need to buy a whole new game for balance updates.

Tldr - your generalization is both silly and ignorant.

21. Catalyst75

He's a troll. Just put the guy on Ignore, and you'll never see that stupid face Avatar he has again.

22. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

Maybe. But I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Mod things and shit. :catroll

23. Deathbringerpt

Overwatch sold 25 million copies. And Blizzard has its own digital sales platform. They get an absurd amount of return on investment for each game sold and even if those numbers were all retail, they still would have made a fucking absurd amount of money. We're not talking about an indie developer that needs kickstarter money to make a fucking retro 2D paltformer, it's fucking Activision Blizzard. The only reason why they have lootboxes is simply gravy, it's not a fucking financial lifeline that ensures support to one of the most successful games released lately.

Hearstone's bankroll alone could support Overwatch indefinitely. Blizzard is shitting out money from every pore.

It's bizarre how people are saying lootboxes are a necessary evil for free support as if this fucking industry is 3 years old or something.

Grown ups are talking. Pipe down.

24. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

You're not wrong but I'm taking publishers' "all return" mentality into consideration. Being real here; they're not gonna support shit for free without a catch. Nor do I think they should. Would it be ideal for the consumer? Yup and it'd make for an amazing community and word of mouth for your game. But as a business you'll always go for the bigger buck without completely shattering your rep (hi EA). Financing shit from other returns for potentially much lesser return is an unlikely scenario business-wise.

As a consumer, I see other companies and just regard something like Overwatch a much better compromise and asking for more would sadly be unrealistic given the current trends.

Although I'm glad people completely freak out over Pay2Win lootbox and on disc dlc horsefuckery so it wouldn't be the norm and we'd not have a similar conversation 5 years from now about how season passes are a fairer compromise relative the "current trends". some shit can just get fucked.

25. Deathbringerpt

I guess it's the best possible implementation of paid lootboxes out there even if I hate the concept of it.

26. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

I'd still prefer it if it was straight paid DLC without the lootbox wall. Having a fairer progression system would even be better. But like I said, there'll always be a catch.

27. Shiba D. Inu

UK Gambling Commission finally weighs in on loot boxes

The UK Gambling Commission has published a statement on whether loot boxes can be classified as gambling.

Of all the things predicted about Star Wars Battlefront 2, perhaps the last thing was that it would jump-start a conversation within governments about loot boxes. We’ve already had statements from , the , and , each with slightly different takes. Now the UK Gambling Commission itself has stepped with its own take on whether loot boxes can be classified as gambling?

Short answer? No, loot boxes aren’t gambling yet, but there’s still room for concern and future regulation.

The statement itself , stating that loot boxes have been reviewed within the organization since about 2006. (Although the timing of the post suggests it may be a response .) According to the Gambling Commission, loot boxes currently do not meet the classification of gambling as laid out by Parliamentary law because they do not pay out a direct currency.

“A key factor in deciding if that line has been crossed is whether in-game items acquired ‘via a game of chance’ can be considered money or money’s worth,” the statement reads. “In practical terms this means that where in-game items obtained via loot boxes are confined for use within the game and cannot be cashed out it is unlikely to be caught as a licensable gambling activity. In those cases our legal powers would not allow us to step in.”

It’s worth noting there are some exceptions to this – while you can’t cash out a loot box, noted that third-party sites let you buy and sell loot box rewards using real-world money. Apparently this either isn’t a distinction the Commission makes, or it hasn’t been made aware of these sites just yet.

That doesn’t mean video game publishers should rest within the UK however, as there’s enough at stake that could force industry regulation. “Where a product does not meet that test to be classed as gambling but could potentially cause harm to children, parents will undoubtedly expect proper protections to be put in place by those that create, sell and regulate those products,” the statement continues. “We have a long track record in keeping children safe and we are keen to share our experiences and expertise with others that have a similar responsibility. Whether gambling or not, we all have a responsibility to keep children and young people safe.”

So while loot boxes may not be the UK Gambling Commission’s responsibility, laws regarding their use could be arriving soon just the same.

28. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

Huh? pretty sure UK's youth is addicted to FIFA FUT packs.

29. Jake CENA

Catdank Faction:
    “Post release development” is just a fancy way of saying, “you’re our sheep and you will buy everything we pull out from our asses!”

Yes, I know there are some companies that give decent after release support by releasing updates, but those should be free. Balance patches, new modes and maps can be free. It doesn’t need to cost $20-40. Its not the consumers fault if the developers fuck up and fail to meet their deadline and just lock all the missing content on-disc.

Its a business sure but releasing paid content should be moderated. What would happen in the future if this gets out of hand?? Changing controls would be locked and you have to pay $2 for it??

30. Charlotte D. Kurisu Moderator

Why? If it's legitimate post-release development/work then they should get a buck for their job. No one's gonna work for free just for good goodwill. Wake up. At worst cases people expect a tip for the extra effort.

Because all DLC is on-disc right? :apathy