1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Voting is open in the KCC Haiku Contest!
    Entries can be found here.
    The poll closes on August 24th at 2:59pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice
  5. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest 6!
    Deadline for entries: September 08th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20, 2019)

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by Sennin of Hardwork, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Kansas City Kipchaks Point Guard

4 months...

I had no idea it's that close.

:confusedjr

2. Shiba D. Inu

will we have another Dark Phoenix on our hands ? :wow

3. Shiba D. Inu

> D&D are making the next trilogy :wellshit

make it STOP

4. Garcher

hasn't Disney realized these hacks have simply copy-pasted from the books

:hestonpls

5. Mob

oh boy :tomha

6. Son Of Man

Can't wait for the "And Rey forgot about the death star being there" moment.

8. Jake CENA

Catdank Faction:

the last 4 movies totally sucked ass

9. Fang

10. MShadows Moderator

I completely forgot about this movie.

4 months until its out and we haven't even gotten our first trailer for it.

What are the chances they actually cancel this?

11. Amol

Zero.
    These movies makes buttload of money despite what people may think.

12. MShadows Moderator

Oh well, at least get it over with and leave this thing alone already.

13. Fang

We got a trailer for it. The thing the Disney shills aren't telling you is the IX trailer received less attention and views in its first 24 hours then Episode VII and Episode VIII did. There are also reports about how the Star Wars theme park had a massive disappointing opening not meeting any of Disney's expectations for ticket or attendance, Galaxy's Edge failing completely and all merchandise tanking like usual which is why IX is what they are banking.

Don't listen to people like him. Disney has effectively killed the IP.

14. MShadows Moderator

TLJ was the final nail in the coffin. That movie was so unbelievably bad it's actually the first movie I ever regret seeing and wished I got my money back for.

Absolute horse shit of a movie...

It will take a miracle for the SW IP to recover from what Disney has done to it.
    Animated movies/series might still be good, but as far as live action movies go they need to stay as far away as possible.

15. Fang

They pretty much had everything set up to do the same thing with the rebooted Star Wars under Disney's helm and under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy to make as many spin-offs, side-stories, and sequels for the films with axing the original Lucas Star Wars and its Expanded Universe after 2014. And they completely fucked it up. Most people acknowledged that if or if you didn't like VII/TFA, it somehow made sense to rehash IV/ANH to try and get a new generation of audiences and other people into the franchise but it played on literally drawing its strength and appeal on entirely nostalgia. And in the long run it shows a chunk of what they are doing lacks creativity.

After that, we had Rogue One which some people liked and others didn't since it was gutted with huge post-production changes, Kathleen Kennedy's meddling in it to change how the movie was set and its story direction. But the real stuff that crucified it to most fans was the public-relations comments and idiocy coming out of Disney and Lucas Films. When you have Kennedy and the SWSG as well as various writers, producers, actors/actresses and staff talking about "The Force is Female", Kennedy rejecting other people calling out the nonsense of putting identity politics into Star Wars, etc...there was a dramatic shift.

VIII/TLJ was the straw that finally broke the camel's back. All of their and other stoogie projections on its box office projections failed and fell horribly short of even the most conservative watershed measurements they had, the negative backlash was huge over the treatment of Luke, Rian's entirely combative stance and interactions on twitter and instagram with fans upset over his treatment of Luke (who is STILL by far the most popular Star Wars character to this day since 1977), and the disjointed mess that TLJ's entire "plot" represented. So what happened? Not too mention the moron also kept cheerfully saying he would get his spin-off trilogy but its been over two years and after what TLJ did to the franchise the odds of that ever happening for Rian are so astronomically low its simply a fantasy for him at this point. And don't get me started on how they turned Finn into a literal joke and disregarded his development from TFA into TLJ or Rose's entire character and arc in the movie being a gigantic red herring; relevant to nothing and pandering for an audience that won't spend a dime on the franchise.

Anyway Solo completely then bombed at the box office and was a complete financial disaster and massive net loss for Disney, which isn't too surprising because a) people were still mad over how bad TLJ was + b) the treatment of Luke and his character being killed off in such a shitty way and finally + c) Solo itself going through multiple directors and writers, and various other production fuckery along with Kathleen feuding with several of the staff during its production.

This isn't getting into the past stuff I've said about how this has left casual and diehard/original fans feeling, the failing of Resistance, the success of Rebels being entirely rooted on support from The Clone Wars series fans, the move to Disney's proprietary streaming and channel service with Disney XD not going the way Disney expecting it and hilarious miscalculations with the toy/gaming industry blowing up in their faces with the crap with the Battlefront 1 EA and especially Battlefront 2 EA loot box scandal and P2W bullshit in a fucking full scale retail game.

They aren't drawing in new fans.
    They are failing completely to get kids interested in the franchise.
    Their movies are doing consistently worse and worse.
    Multiple side projects and spin-offs have either been delayed indefinitely (Obi-Wan & Yoda) or shitcanned entirely.
    The toy market started its negative spiral for Star Wars with Rogue One, its entirely failed and flatlined with TLJ and Solo (also helped put Toys R Us into bankruptcy).

If Episode IX/The Rise of Skywalker doesn't turn things around, I won't be surprised in the least the franchise gets put on ice for a number of years.

But what Disney did shows us one thing, no franchise or intellectual property is TOO BIG to fail. When you mishandle it, when you alienate your old fans and fail to bring in new ones, when your staff and workers are actively engaged in feuding and fighting with people over issues they have, that will always make things worse and worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • List
  16. Son Of Man

Saw a blog post that showed hundreds of Galaxys Edge T-shirts have already hit disney outlet stores. $9.99 down from $34.99

17. Fang

Wouldn't be surprised.

18. MartialHorror

19. Kansas City Kipchaks Point Guard

Me, stoically pleasuring myself...

20. mr_shadow Moderator

Flag:
    Sweden

21. MartialHorror

It's an interesting theory, but the title is a bit click-baity.

The idea that Lucas gets a cut of merchandising makes sense, but is that they Disney is killing off his characters? I doubt it, as it was common knowledge Ford wanted to kill off Han Solo long before Disney got their hands on the properties -- and even in interviews, he seemed to imply that he'd only come back if they did so. Also, wasn't it previously reported/ rumored that Luke wasn't supposed to die in "The Last Jedi", but that RJ decided to do that, which was allegedly part of the reason Treverrow walked away?

I do think Disney's plan was always to kill or retire these characters to push their own, but that's just how long running franchises like this work -- and it wasn't like any of the big three seemed especially enthusiastic about returning in the first place.

The idea that C3PO had his red arm to dodge paying Lucas royalties is once again interesting, but when why take that away in "The Last Jedi"? Alternatively, it still might've been a merchandising ploy, as I don't see why anyone would buy a C3PO toy if they already have a previous line of toys, unless there is some difference (ie; a red arm). If the red arm didn't catch on, then they'd see no reason to continue it, although this creates a strange continuity error.

But if Disney is making money, they wouldn't really benefit from trying to screw Lucas out of royalties, unless he was getting most of the money made off of the toys.

22. ~VK~

Mark hamill was very enthusiastic about returning.

23. MartialHorror

Admittedly, it appears I was mistaken about Carrie Fischer. But Hamill seemed to have been reluctant as he didn't think they could recapture lightning in a bottle and that they were simply too old. He changed his mind after Ford signed on, because he didn't want to be the only one who said no.

24. ~VK~

Really? All i remember coming from him was enthusiasm about the whole thing when shooting and stuff. Now i understand why he wasn’t really in TFA and died in TLJ. You don’t make disney ask twice :pek

25. MartialHorror

Just because you're reluctant about the part, doesn't mean you're going to be unenthusiastic. How many times do you hear about actors being hesitant, only to turn around and embrace the role?

26. Mider T

Flag:
    United States

Fisher*

27. MartialHorror

You just love correcting my hastily written posts, don't you? :havoc

28. Fang

Then after he found out after his treatment was going to be and what TLJ ended up being, he's completely deadpanned Disney Star Wars in general ever since.

29. MShadows Moderator

Enthusiasm for TLJ was just oozing off Mark Hamill

30. Garcher

I won't watch the movie, I will only listen to people shitting on it :naruramen